Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

im worried that burning all these effigies of obama will make republicans lose in 2016 you guys :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dexo posted:

to be fair. People who work in those fields are a large portion of his constituents.

But it's going to screw him over when it comes time to win a Dem primary.

They're not. They may be a large portion of his donors, but they're not a large portion of his constituents. He's the senator from New Jersey, not a congressman from Manhattan.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Trabisnikof posted:

Meanwhile, endless violent memes from the right seem to not have stopped Trump and Republicans.

Progressive/left leaning moderate voters aren't bloodthirsty shitlords, hth. It's pretty gross to hear people in this thread go with "Republicans did it and it didn't hurt them at the ballot box therefore it's ok".

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Nazi's are alright and I just played too much DoD/BF1942 in the 90's.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

Progressive voters aren't bloodthirsty shitlords, hth.

But your original concern was about moderates being turned off the Democratic Party, we aren't talking about progressives.

How does your theory of "violent memes turn off moderate voters" handle the outcome of 2016?

Unzip and Attack posted:

It's pretty gross to hear people in this thread go with "Republicans did it and it didn't hurt them at the ballot box therefore it's ok".

First you said that violent memes turn off moderate voters, now you're saying the issue is that violent memes are unethical or gross. Those are different arguments.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 30, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That doggie deserved better. :(

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

im worried that burning all these effigies of obama will make republicans lose in 2016 you guys :ohdear:

Fake photo, Trump doesn't know what dogs are.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
That dog got held.... Like a DOG

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

LaserShark posted:

Fake photo, Trump doesn't know what dogs are.

That dog had a television show right up until he got fired, you know.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

By my count, that's something like 110-120 white people.

Here's what that looks like in text:

White, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, and white.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

From the weight gain piece

quote:

So Trump returns to the White House this week just as he left -- lonely, angry and not happy with much of anyone.  The presidency, Donald Trump is discovering, is not an easy or natural fit.

"He now lives within himself, which is a dangerous place for Donald Trump to be," says someone who speaks with the President. "I see him emotionally withdrawing. He's gained weight. He doesn't have anybody whom he trusts."

The question, he adds, is whether Trump will understand the enormity of what he faces or will instead "be back to being arrogant and stubborn." He will have to realize that "all this trip really did was hit the pause button."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/30/opinions/trump-home-all-alone-borger/index.html

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Unzip and Attack posted:

Progressive/left leaning moderate voters aren't bloodthirsty shitlords, hth.

pretty weird that you can understand this but you don't understand the difference between statements like a lovely effigy hanging from a tree in someone's yard vs. a celebrity posing for a headshot with a prop as part of some other artistic statement. like maybe they're not both calls for violence?????

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm certain that the Mercers are looking at the past couple of weeks and are wondering if things wouldn't be better if Trump was permanently being feted by various autocratic states.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/869629006483787778
https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/status/869639561902796804

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/869640393310318593
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/869640973642543105
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/869641323237834752

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 30, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this is good to see, that the Senate quietly murdered the Lieberman nomination:

quote:

And only for a moment. Trump comes home not only to an escalating Russian mess and an uphill fight over health care, but also to an important decision about the next FBI director. The President had warmed to the idea of former Sen. Joe Lieberman for the post, but Congress didn't. So as he was leaving for his first foreign trip he told friends Lieberman was out.

that makes me somewhat hopeful there's not 50 votes in the Senate to confirm a toady

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

boner confessor posted:

pretty weird that you can understand this but you don't understand the difference between statements like a lovely effigy hanging from a tree in someone's yard vs. a celebrity posing for a headshot with a prop as part of some other artistic statement

The time has passed for worrying about how people who are in the wrong will be offended. (For one, they will always be offended and you'll have given up your authenticity.) Freedom of speech needs to be fought for, ferociously.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

By my count, that's something like 110-120 white people.

Here's what that looks like in text:

White, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, white, white, white white, white white, white white, and white.

So do you think they should have sent a bus to round up people of color to drag them there or what? It's hard to see a point here. This isn't Trump's Cabinet or something where he personally selected them.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

evilweasel posted:

this is good to see, that the Senate quietly murdered the Lieberman nomination:

that makes me somewhat hopeful there's not 50 votes in the Senate to confirm a toady

Lieberman is a piece of poo poo and I hope he rots.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mozi posted:

The time has passed for worrying about how people who are in the wrong will be offended. (For one, they will always be offended and you'll have given up your authenticity.) Freedom of speech needs to be fought for, ferociously.

also we don't need to consider the equivalencies between someone ranting about obama being a communist kenyan n****r out to destroy america, and someone commenting on trump's infantile mindset and his likely personality disorders which lay at the heart of his dysfunctional administration. both of these are negative statements towards the presidency but it turns out one of these statements has much more merit than the other!!!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Silly celebrities should think for 5 seconds about the contents of their "performance art." If you wouldn't like it if someone did it to Obama, don't do it.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Booker is by far the most charismatic of 2018's likely Democratic candidates and I don't think his sketchy connections are as big of a turn off to the Democratic electorate writ large as they are to people in this thread. As long as he's not stanning for Jared two years from now, he's probably still the front runner.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BarbarianElephant posted:

Silly celebrities should think for 5 seconds about the contents of their "performance art." If you wouldn't like it if someone did it to Obama, don't do it.

people did do it to obama, all the time, constantly. this is an idiotic argument

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ice Phisherman posted:

Lieberman is a piece of poo poo and I hope he rots.

that goes without saying in correct-thinking circles but the senate is not one of those, i really did think that the senate would confirm him just to troll democrats that "we confirmed a democrat! how could you object!"

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Trabisnikof posted:

First you said that violent memes turn off moderate voters, now you're saying the issue is that violent memes are unethical or gross. Those are different arguments.

No, this is what I said:

"While it's true that the Kathy Griffin thing isn't going to drive away otherwise reasonable people who will now vote R, this is just the sort of thing that gives the Right even the tiniest opening to convince apolitical people to stay home and not vote at all, which does hurt the Dems."

Giving the GOP even the smallest amount of ammo to build a false comparison narrative is what hurts the Dems. Clinton being a super-wealthy person with ties to Wall St and a history of questionable ethical decision-making allowed the narrative of "both are bad" to flower, abetted by the horserace-hungry media.

There is a huge double standard in what's acceptable political speech for conservatives and progressives in this country. Sorry if that's a shock to anyone but Kathy Griffin holding a severed head of the President gives the Right exactly what they need to perpetuate it.

"We should just be violence inciting assholes like the Republicans" is not a winning electoral strategy. Progressives and left leaning moderates need to be inspired to vote, not whipped up into a frenzy like the dipshit rascal brigade.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 30, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fsif posted:

Booker is by far the most charismatic of 2018's likely Democratic candidates and I don't think his sketchy connections are as big of a turn off to the Democratic electorate writ large as they are to people in this thread. As long as he's not stanning for Jared two years from now, he's probably still the front runner.

His sketchy connections aren't the problem. His unsolicited defenses of those people are. There was one point where he complained (on TV, I believe) that attacks on Goldman Sachs made him sick. Those comments won't go away, nor will whatever drove him to say that or defend Kushner. Who donated to him isn't really the problem, its that he then goes and defends those people on TV.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
The folks who are clutching their pearls over a C-list comedian's political statement are the same folks who thought Michael Brown got what was coming to him so I'm not sure where the moral bar is anymore.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

boner confessor posted:

people did do it to obama, all the time, constantly. this is an idiotic argument

I don't like this and I don't think they should have done it. In fact, it's quite horrible. Awful. Symbolic lynching.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Unzip and Attack posted:

Giving the GOP even the smallest amount of ammo to build a false comparison narrative is what hurts the Dems. Clinton being a super-wealthy person with ties to Wall St and a history of questionable ethical decision-making allowed the narrative of "both are bad" to flower, abetted by the horserace-hungry media.

There is a huge double standard in what's acceptable political speech for conservatives and progressives in this country. Sorry if that's a shock to anyone but Kathy Griffin holding a severed head of the President gives the Right exactly what they need to perpetuate it.

the GOP can conjure ammo out of thin air, because it turns out a substantial portion of their base are extremely angry, ignorant, and gullible. there's no reason to walk around on eggshells trying not to offend the crazies when they believe in defunding planned parenthood to shut down the black market trade in infant livers

there are vast, untapped mines of hillary clinton murders waiting for the GOP to dig up more ammo for false narratives about how liberals are the real racists. decorum doesn't really matter in an environment where many of the participants can't understand simple statements or sort fact from fiction

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

fsif posted:

I don't really find him that charismatic, either. He's disconcertingly bald and there's an almost Romney-esque air of :mitt: in all of his appearances. Makes it feel like he only shows up for the photo op.

Also he's from Jersey and as someone who is also from Jersey I don't think anyone from Jersey should run for higher office ever again. Leave us to the gimp-midgets.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Unzip and Attack posted:

Giving the GOP even the smallest amount of ammo to build a false comparison narrative is what hurts the Dems

it is not possible to avoid at least one person on "the left" giving the smallest amount of ammo to build a false comparison narrative. there's over 100 million of them, and they all say things literally every day!

it is necessary to hit back hard on any attempt to frame false comparison narratives because those are always an option and always catnip to reporters. you can't avoid republicans having something to try to make the argument with: it is necessary instead to drop the hammer on the argument and on any media source that uncritically reports it as he-said she-said, the truth is in the middle!

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Like I said before, this one incident doesn't spell doom for 2018. What will is an increasing tolerance for violent expression by progressives. I hope this isn't indicative of that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I see Kathy Griffin's idea worked

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

evilweasel posted:

His sketchy connections aren't the problem. His unsolicited defenses of those people are. There was one point where he complained (on TV, I believe) that attacks on Goldman Sachs made him sick. Those comments won't go away, nor will whatever drove him to say that or defend Kushner. Who donated to him isn't really the problem, its that he then goes and defends those people on TV.

That was on Meet The Press in 2012. He didn't say attacking Goldman Sachs made him sick.

He said that Mitt Romney did some bad things at Bain Capital, but it was unfair to attack him for just working at a Hedge Fund. He said he didn't agree with Obama characterizing all people who work for hedge funds as bad people and that he would criticize Romney for his actions, but not for being involved with a Hedge Fund itself.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

Like I said before, this one incident doesn't spell doom for 2018. What will is an increasing tolerance for violent expression by progressives. I hope this isn't indicative of that.

Last I checked, the people attacking journalists and starting militia groups were right wing nutjobs.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, but perhaps you might not be qualified to be President either.

The President needs a sufficient baseline of knowledge to know who is a qualified person, to make sense of what that qualified person is telling him, and to make good decisions when his qualified cabinet members disagree. None of the things he listed there are expert-level things. They are basic concepts you need to understand to have any capability to be the decision-maker in that area, even with advice from experts.

mango sentinel posted:

The President of the United States should know those things. He doesn't have to have an in depth, nuanced understanding but he should have a strong familiarity with topics of economics, law, and political science. Trump doesn't have the basic understanding of a survey course in these topics. Advisors are there to supplement knowledge, not explain basic concepts of a field.

Fair enough, you've got a point. I'm definitely nowhere near qualified to be President unless all they need from me are decisions on software quality assurance #MakeAmericaBugFreeAgain

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Unzip and Attack posted:

how is a provocative photoshoot a violent statement? and before you say "well these people will interpret it that way" keep in mind that most of them are mentally nonfunctional and you should not appeal to their ability to discern reality correctly

also lol at "increasing tolerance for violent expression by progressives" here's the chronological fallacy again, everything is getting worse from this point forwards and the past shouldn't be looked at at all, why back in my day progressives were kind and polite and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5fts7bj-so

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Is it possible that Trump is in fact that worse than Obama?

Plus Trump and his admin. constantly invokes ISIS and beheadings as justification for their policies. They joke about how a beheading is worse than a "sunburn" aka Climate Change. Meanwhile they're supporting the kind of anti-women religious right wing that ISIS represents. I think the image is already well thought out and apt.

Unzip and Attack posted:

No, this is what I said:

"While it's true that the Kathy Griffin thing isn't going to drive away otherwise reasonable people who will now vote R, this is just the sort of thing that gives the Right even the tiniest opening to convince apolitical people to stay home and not vote at all, which does hurt the Dems."

The right will make those attacks anyway. Equating some celeb making a artistic statement with the lifetime ties of the presidential candidate is absurd.

There are few voters who won't be convinced by all the existing "so much for the tolerant left" but will find this photo shoot the final straw. Meanwhile, we're talking about how Trump is ruining America and how they use ISIS to threaten us. That's a win for Democrats.

I think it is good if Kathy Griffin joins the dirtbag left.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Hope I'm not getting into Dem thread territory here, but I don't think those comments will matter that much come 2020. Clinton won her primary fairly comfortably and she has about a tenth of Booker's charisma.

I could see a sustained effort from a politically-engaged left maybe sinking him over it (and I acknowledge that the political climate of 2020 will be very different from what it was a year ago), but I think it's premature to say that his presidential ambitions are sunk.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

This is such a stupid argument. Obama was an intelligent man and a good president, who tried to do the best he could for the country, and Trump is a loving piece of human garbage you wouldn't trust to watch your child. Maybe the standards about how we can treat them should be just a bit different, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

"We should just be violence inciting assholes like the Republicans" is not a winning electoral strategy. Progressives and left leaning moderates need to be inspired to vote, not whipped up into a frenzy like the dipshit rascal brigade.

This is correct. This has always been correct and I'm disappointed this even needs to be stated here when people on this very board who actually follow politics have said...repeatedly...that with the Democratic Party and it's constituents the single most important thing going into a Presidential election is to build the coalition and get everyone on board with the love fest. We cannot rely on garbage agitprop. It does not work in this era with left wing ideas.

• Locked thread