Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
That seems to be the Patriarch's jam, which makes me wonder how expensive he'll be if Broodlords are already some of the priciest nid units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Thundercloud posted:

And it's psychic, and a tough combat multiwound character that can mulch other characters.

On the other hand stealers are ten loving points.

And gaunts with fleshborers are 4!

And Carnifexes and Tyranid Warriors look worth taking again!

I love being in a position where I've already got precisely what I always wanted, means you just get to be stoked for other people all the time instead.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Artum posted:

I love being in a position where I've already got precisely what I always wanted, means you just get to be stoked for other people all the time instead.

This really does seem to be the edition where everyone gets something. Maybe not everything, but something. Orks might actually be viable! Tyranids look fun! True Marines are real!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I hope flash gitz are worth taking because they're some of my flavorite models ever. Also I can't find my lootas

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I... might definitely be doing Bigmarines at some point.

That dread must be approaching the size of a Warmachine colossal.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I'm willing to give 8th a try, maybe I'm wrong and my vastly more expensive tanks will be competitive against cheaper infantry and MCs. I expect though that my iron hands will stick to 30k and maybe next year I'll start admech or death guard or something.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

The Bee posted:

Checking the webstore, Carnifexes (Carnifii?)

Checking pontifex the plural is pontifices, so... one Carnifex, several Carnifices

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Ignite Memories posted:

I hope flash gitz are worth taking because they're some of my flavorite models ever. Also I can't find my lootas

If memory serves from yesterday they still have the random AP roll but thats a lot more useful than it used to be, and they have some sort of sustained fire roll whenever you finish a round of shooting that can keep rolling over.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
That scale creep holy poo poo.

Its downright silly how much of a size disparity there is.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Hahaha holy poo poo:

If the 1 power = 20 points thing holds true we are gonna see a LOT of Berzerkers on the table.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Helbrute? More like Helcute! Lookit that widdle guy.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

anti_strunt posted:

Checking pontifex the plural is pontifices, so... one Carnifex, several Carnifices

GW use 'Carnifexes'. It's an adopted word based on latin, but we're still speaking English.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

I'm willing to give 8th a try

Truly magnanimous of you Lord Posterton of Hammerville.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
From Facebook via Dakka Dakka via Reddit...

quote:

From Dakka Dakka :

"Dark Eldar/Druhkari via a friend, from an Eldar FB group: apply salt as required.

I've just read our index. I've got few observations to share. tl;dl it seems really balanced with every unit viable but without any really big power boost.

-First of all we have to wait for the proper Codex, becouse it's just the basics. Minimum special rules for the units and without any special items except weapons. -Forget what you know about points values. almost everything have a different cost maybe except Venoms. -Vehicles with 10+ wounds and being less likely to blow up should really benefit our faction. -FNP is like in 7th game turn based. 1: 6+ inv 2:reroll run/charge 3:+1to hit but CC only

Units: -Archon would be a cheap HQ filler. Even Bestmaster is more expensive O_o and new huskblade is a joke. His special boost is just use my LD or whatever. -Haemonculus give +1t bubble but only for coven units. -Succub seems about the same, I forget what she gives cult units, rerolls maybe. Archite Glaive is now +2s but -1 to hit 😞 -Court are similiar I think to what we had in 7th.

-Warriors are 7 points. -wyches are similiar but with 'no escape' rule.

-Incubi got reasonable price and the mandrakes seems really good 😛 With nice shooting attack, 5++ and Deep strike. -beasts are looking interesting, high attack values and movement. Beastmaster let them use his LD and give to hit rerolls.

-Reavers are about twice as costly O_o Got second wound but losses all interesting abilities. Caltrops now activates only when the opponent is running away. Meh! Their turboboost is just straight 24'' now. -Scourges are cheap and have that no scatter Deep Strike. Haywire now damages vehicles on 4+ and deal 1 bonus mortal wound or D3 if you roll 6 to wound.

-Wracks and grots are about the same as they were. I was hoping on some more wounds for the G-Unit 😞 Haemoculus seems mandatory for the +1t now.

-Rider cost about two 7th ed Riders O_o you can mix passengers now (except Incubi) All have 5++. -Ravager is now the same price as a Rider. -Venoms should be gold. -1 to hit for the opponent and still you got this 5++. Obvoius upgrade for the splinter cannon is now free I think 😀

-Flyers with more wounds seems really good now, But they are just -1 to hit for ground units. The Bomb is generating D6s for every model Voidraven will fly over (3d6 for monsters/vehicles) maximum is 10 dice. Then they will deal mortal wounds on 4+

-Taloi are cheaper but nerfed with only 6t/6s 😞 got 8'' movement but now could explode. The blast deals mortal wounds so can easly damage other taloi. Of course they got more wounds now. -Cronos is more expensive than Talos and gove no boost I think. He is the damage dealer now."

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TKIY posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo:

If the 1 power = 20 points thing holds true we are gonna see a LOT of Berzerkers on the table.

Is it just me or are chainaxes really not that great? It's plus one armor and one AP in exchange for what amounts to two more attacks per model.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

Is it just me or are chainaxes really not that great? It's plus one armor and one AP in exchange for what amounts to two more attacks per model.

AP is pretty important and S6 means that axes wound T3 on a 2+. It's balanced if the points are the same, which is refreshing!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The Bee posted:

AP is pretty good but yeah I think the bonus attacks are probably better.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The Bee posted:

Any particular reason you couldn't just make all your normal attacks with the axe and then take your extra chainsword attack also instead of doing pistol/melee weapon? You'd still get two extra chainsword hits out of it, assuming your target didn't just die. Plus you can mix and match, so you can just throw a few axes in for spice among the unit.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
That's true. Anyone willing to mathhammer out the probability of -1 AP +1 T vs. a pair of extra rolls? I'm sure both have important breakpoints that change which is best (ex: T10 opponents).

Also, that's a really good point. Plasma pistols seem like great armor breakers, but regular bolt pistols seem okay at best. I didn't see a dual wield bonus, so I mentally discounted being able to use the sword's bonus attack instead of the axe.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 30, 2017

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

flash gitz best gitz

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
So I dig the fact that you can replace your bolt-pistol with a chain axe (giving you two close combat weapons), but that means you're splitting your attacks (as they have different S and AP values), which is in turn more steps. Thematic and cool, but you can't just count up your attacks and roll that many dice together.

What is the opposite of streamlining called?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ilor posted:

So I dig the fact that you can replace your bolt-pistol with a chain axe (giving you two close combat weapons), but that means you're splitting your attacks (as they have different S and AP values), which is in turn more steps. Thematic and cool, but you can't just count up your attacks and roll that many dice together.

Dude, it's literally one attack per relevant dude. Get a second color of dice.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Ilor posted:

I don't disagree but I think there was pretty much no chance they could really streamline things effectively without squatting stuff given the wargear/model creep that has occurred over the years. Which I think would be even more unpopular.

Not sure what I would do in GWs position honestly.

A small counterpoint, isn't multiple weapons in melee pretty similar to multiple weapons in shooting? Maybe we shouldn't have either but I guess it's not that different.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

The Bee posted:

That's true. Anyone willing to mathhammer out the probability of -1 AP +1 T vs. a pair of extra rolls? I'm sure both have important breakpoints that change which is best (ex: T10 opponents).

Also, that's a really good point. Plasma pistols seem like great armor breakers, but regular bolt pistols seem okay at best. I didn't see a dual wield bonus, so I mentally discounted being able to use the sword's bonus attack instead of the axe.

Against meq the 2 chainsword hits do 0.29 wounds and the single chainaxe does 0.22. Against t4 2+ they tie at 0.15 wounds so axe and sword seems like a workable setup.

Pistols pale in comparison to any of the melee options for berserkers because of the whole fight twice rule.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm having flashbacks to my group's Blood Angels player who runs sanguinary guard with MC power weapons.

So he has to roll each of his models individually.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Seems like it's worth taking 2 plasma pistol axe guys too because they contribute a lot more on the turn you charge than the sword swings, and generally if you just got charged by berserker either you're dead and can't run away so no melee on the enemy turn, or they've fallen back so still no melee.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah that thing is sweet. I think I want to paint my bigmarines as pre-heresy Thousand Sons who have fallen through a warp hole or something. Just need a reason for why the flesh change wouldn't affect them...

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I'm having flashbacks to my group's Blood Angels player who runs sanguinary guard with MC power weapons.

So he has to roll each of his models individually.

Now those weapons deal d3 damage in 8th instead of having that terrible reroll!!

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

GreenMarine posted:

Yeah that thing is sweet. I think I want to paint my bigmarines as pre-heresy Thousand Sons who have fallen through a warp hole or something. Just need a reason for why the flesh change wouldn't affect them...

So Blood Ravens then?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TKIY posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo:

So they can fight twice and get an extra attack with every die that rolls '6'. That's just nasty.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Wyches are fixed, Berzerkers are fixed. Go for the hat-trick GW, make Pyrovores good.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

GreenMarine posted:

You going to go with the Unification wars colour scheme or the Great Crusade colour scheme?

You could do it as a resurrected chapter in the Ultima Founding. Dusk Raiders? War Hounds?Why not bring them back?

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
They've gotten people who actually play the game to playtest while designing this edition right? I feel like the people who are just looking at units in a vacuum are forgetting this? (and hopefully GW listened to their playtesters)

Again, waiting for some battle reports before I pass judgement

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sure, but there's no replicating a public stress test, even with competitive players. Also, yeah, listening to playtesters.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Bee posted:

I'd compare it to the pistol, since ideally you'll be trying to get into CC as much as possible. The chainaxe gives you the option to have 2 S6 AP -1 attacks twice per Fight phase. That means you're wounding anything up to T11 on a 5+ and get a 2+ against T3 or weaker.

:siren:Mathhammer:siren:

Guardsmen (T3, 5+)
Bolt Pistol: (4/6) * (4/6) * (1 - 2/6) = 0.297 Kills
Chainsword: (4/6) * (4/6) * (1 - 2/6) = 0.297 Kills
Chainaxe: (4/6) * (5/6) * (1 - 1/6) = 0.463 Kills

1x Bolt Pistol, 6x Chainsword = 2.079 Kills/Turn
4x Chainaxe, 2x Chainsword = 2.446 Kills/Turn

Space Marine (T4, 3+)
Bolt Pistol: (4/6) * (3/6) * (1 - 4/6) = 0.111 Kills
Chainsword: (4/6) * (4/6) * (1 - 4/6) = 0.148 Kills
Chainaxe: (4/6) * (4/6) * (1 - 3/6) = 0.222 Kills

1x Bolt Pistol, 6x Chainsword = 0.999 Kills/Turn
4x Chainaxe, 2x Chainsword = 1.184 Kills/Turn

Mega-Armored Warboss (T5, 2+, 7 Wounds)
Bolt Pistol: (4/6) * (2/6) * (1 - 5/6) = 0.037 Wounds
Chainsword: (4/6) * (3/6) * (1 - 5/6) = 0.056 Wounds
Chainaxe: (4/6) * (5/6) * (1 - 4/6) = 0.185 Wounds

1x Bolt Pistol, 6x Chainsword = 0.373 Wounds/Turn
4x Chainaxe, 2x Chainsword = 0.852 Wounds/Turn

Just looking at the numbers I think AP is going to be significantly more important than strength due to how the modifiers work out. As for the original question I think the Chainaxe is definitely worth it unless you're going against low toughness opponents, and even then I'd be inclined to swap out the bolt pistol for it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tiger Millionaire posted:

They've gotten people who actually play the game to playtest while designing this edition right? I feel like the people who are just looking at units in a vacuum are forgetting this? (and hopefully GW listened to their playtesters)

Again, waiting for some battle reports before I pass judgement

They invited a bunch of people who play and have a lot of experience with tournament-style play to GW for feedback. One of them was Mike Brandt, who runs the NOVA Open.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Actually yeah, people were asking for this. I agree with you though, in that it will just lead to playing 2k points games instead of 1500-point games

Yeah. I agree that it's lame

Also some more Thousand Sons info:

Yep, Ahriman casts 3 spells, Exalted cast 2, ergo Thousand Sons lists should never take more than like 1 or 2 of those guys because of the spell-per-turn rule.

That's so loving stupid.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Does anyone mind linking the tyranid stuff again, and was there a full ork leak?

The warmachine group I run is made of former 4th edition 40k players and over the last few weeks talked them into trying 8th because the warmachine scene here has been dead since mk3 dropped. The former ork and nid players are really interested in seeing what's up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ignite Memories posted:

Flash Gitz are easily my favorite Ork model and some of my favorite models GW makes. They're just so full of character :)

chutche2 posted:

Does anyone mind linking the tyranid stuff again, and was there a full ork leak?

The warmachine group I run is made of former 4th edition 40k players and over the last few weeks talked them into trying 8th because the warmachine scene here has been dead since mk3 dropped. The former ork and nid players are really interested in seeing what's up.

Dude, no. This thread moves fast enough already. We do NOT need to be reposting this poo poo over and over every single page. If you want to read the couple tyranid leaks there have been, you can just read the last 2 pages of this loving thread. There hasn't been a full tyranid or ork leak yet though so just hold yer horses.

Read the loving thread dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

chutche2 posted:

I'm sure it'll be everywhere starting tomorrow. Thats when most US stores get their store copies of the indexes and starter box.

• Locked thread