Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

enraged_camel posted:

America still hasn't learned that arming various factions in the Middle East NEVER turns out well.

Oh, but the Kurds are the good guys. (Fast forward 20 years to headlines "Kurdish state massacres x minority.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Kekekela posted:

Interesting convo with two Republican friends today. Main takeaways:

1. They think Trump is an embarrassment, one actually quoted Obama's note pretty accurately from memory to contrast it to dumbfuck's "thanks jews, great to be here!"
2. They are fine with us pissing off or leaving NATO, especially the one who served in Iraq
3. Surprisingly hung up on colleges not giving the Milos and Richard Spencers of the world a platform
4. Legitimately believe both sides are equally obstructionist, although the non-veteran did acknowledge the R's are more evil
5. Somewhat receptive or at least did not openly deride my "taxation at 90%, quit defunding poo poo so you can say it doesn't work, I love Eisenhower" rant.

They sound like cultureless suburbanite slobs.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

TyroneGoldstein posted:

They sound like cultureless suburbanite slobs.

Guilty as charged

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

fsif posted:

He says he's okay with the leaks, but JUST THINKS IT'S FUNNY how establishment players aren't calling for the leakers' imprisonment or whatever.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/869561258701447168

It's a weird argument when half of D.C. (Republicans) have been attacking the "leakers" consistently.

I guess this is another "dems are bad" point?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

Oh, but the Kurds are the good guys. (Fast forward 20 years to headlines "Kurdish state massacres x minority.")

Why'd you save that kid from being brutally murdered? He might grow up to be the Antichrist someday!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

enraged_camel posted:

America still hasn't learned that arming various factions in the Middle East NEVER turns out well.

Arming, training and supporting indigenous forces is a massive part of what we do and it's required if you want them to be able to stop the isis of the future. Leaving before the Iraqi forces were ready was obviously a big mistake, for example. I'd love to hear your alternative though.

Not only that, you want the locals to be the ones to defeat isis, if we go in balls deep with a poo poo ton of troops that feeds right into isis's "narrative"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

boner confessor posted:

they're intellectually insecure and upset that their ideology isn't respected or regarded as worthy of study. people love to dress up their reflexive hatred as some kind of movement by using jargon and the other trappings of intellectualism - people who aren't that bright do this all the time to convince each other how smart they are. sort of like spending too much on entry level luxury cars or tract mcmansions to convince people how wealthy you are

yeah, basically

conservatism is a bunch of ideas with no merit whatsoever (tax cuts pay for themselves!), which is why for an ideology supported by elites it's so anti-intellectual, and why it demands equal time for all ideas in universities, no matter how stupid they are

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Why'd you save that kid from being brutally murdered? He might grow up to be the Antichrist someday!

Except instead of saving anyone, we're trying to give guns to the right kid to murder their abusive family. Then hoping they'll be able to fill in for the dead with no lasting issues.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

boner confessor posted:

they're intellectually insecure and upset that their ideology isn't respected or regarded as worthy of study. people love to dress up their reflexive hatred as some kind of movement by using jargon and the other trappings of intellectualism - people who aren't that bright do this all the time to convince each other how smart they are. sort of like spending too much on entry level luxury cars or tract mcmansions to convince people how wealthy you are

They're also probably in the media bubble that ignores the fact that Milo and Spencer are not merely "conservatives", they're outright bigots promoting bigotry.

They're not even "people promoting dog whistle things and ALSO we have proof that they're bigots", they're flat out preachers of hate - but Fox News doesn't show it that way. It doesn't talk about how Milo thinks women were happier as housewives and that Spencer wants brown people to be dead. It just says "conservatives barred from speaking!!!"

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Google Butt posted:

Arming, training and supporting indigenous forces is a massive part of what we do and it's required if you want them to be able to stop the isis of the future.

Has it ever worked, ever? As far as I can see, either the plucky rebels get massacred and horrible people take the arms, or the plucky rebels turn into horrible people after 20 years of fighting a horrible war.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

repeating posted:

Trump friend

Jared Kushner on Trump's birtherism:

http://www.gq.com/story/jared-kushner-trump-base-ny-observer

Fake news; Trump doesn't have any friends

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

arming the Iraqi Kurds has been a success for the past decade or two that was rather helpful when ISIS crushed the main government's forces

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Google Butt posted:

Arming, training and supporting indigenous forces is a massive part of what we do and it's required if you want them to be able to stop the isis of the future. Leaving before the Iraqi forces were ready was obviously a big mistake, for example. I'd love to hear your alternative though.

ISIS of the future?

More like ISIS of the past.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sinteres posted:

He trips into defending Trump while vociferously denying that he's doing that all the time. I'm done giving him benefit of the doubt.

Isn't he the one who argued only Clinton's scandals should be covered and hyped as much as possible, because she was so clearly going to be president and thus needed to be attacked more instead of wasting time with Trump?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Starmaker posted:

he's got that newsmax guy who is the only person stupid enough to agree to be quoted by name all the time
e:chris ruddy

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Al Borland Corp. posted:

So, I made a comment about Kathy Griffin and then saw this

Is there any way to be removed from such a list? I'd rather​ not be Twitter stalked.

Block them (the list curator) for a few seconds. Literally the only way to do so. You can unblock them w/o getting back on but blocking is it.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm kind of hoping The Five talks about women only Wonder Woman screenings and we get some Trump tweets out of that.

Nah, I'm hoping they start to talk about Farcry 5, where they go after crazy religious milita types. It's made by FRENCH company Ubisoft.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Not only that, you want the locals to be the ones to defeat isis, if we go in balls deep with a poo poo ton of troops that feeds right into isis's "narrative"

Back in the late 70s and early 80s, America's pretense for arming and funding Islamist groups in Afghanistan was pretty much the same.

The result? Al Qaeda was born. The rest is history.

Arming militant groups is like adding fuel to the fire in the hopes that it will burn your enemy's face. But when the wind eventually and inevitably changes direction, you get burned, too.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Conservatives: Don't call Trig retarded

Uses retard as insult

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

evilweasel posted:

arming the Iraqi Kurds has been a success for the past decade or two that was rather helpful when ISIS crushed the main government's forces

ISIS was born when America dismantled the secular Iraqi government and replaced it with a Shiite one. The Sunnis got alienated and disenfranchised as a result, and eventually formed ISIS.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Night10194 posted:

Isn't he the one who argued only Clinton's scandals should be covered and hyped as much as possible, because she was so clearly going to be president and thus needed to be attacked more instead of wasting time with Trump?

That was pretty much the consensus viewpoint in the media, but he was more open than most about expressing it, yeah.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

So, I made a comment about Kathy Griffin and then saw this

Is there any way to be removed from such a list? I'd rather​ not be Twitter stalked.

Twitter should really get rid of lists or make it so people you don't follow can't add you. The main use of that feature is seemingly for creepy poo poo like this.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

This is an overwhelming simplification of a complex issue, go read "The Looming Tower"!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

They're also probably in the media bubble that ignores the fact that Milo and Spencer are not merely "conservatives", they're outright bigots promoting bigotry.

They're not even "people promoting dog whistle things and ALSO we have proof that they're bigots", they're flat out preachers of hate - but Fox News doesn't show it that way. It doesn't talk about how Milo thinks women were happier as housewives and that Spencer wants brown people to be dead. It just says "conservatives barred from speaking!!!"

Yeah, its really just a "SJWs stifle free speech" with pretty much no regard for who Milo and Spencer actually are. I doubt they have any specific knowledge of either other than Milo's comments that got him shitcanned and Spencer getting punched. FB highlights in other words.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

enraged_camel posted:

Back in the late 70s and early 80s, America's pretense for arming and funding Islamist groups in Afghanistan was pretty much the same.

The result? Al Qaeda was born. The rest is history.

Arming militant groups is like adding fuel to the fire in the hopes that it will burn your enemy's face. But when the wind eventually and inevitably changes direction, you get burned, too.

This unsourced quora article by some dude adequately sums up decades of geopolitical issues

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/bnonews/status/869653973950754817
How viable would this system be if multiple ICBMs were launched at once?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

This is an overwhelming simplification of a complex issue, go read "The Looming Tower"!

The Looming Tower mostly talks about the people involved in 9/11. It doesn't cover Al Qaeda's origins and background nearly to the same extent that the post I linked does...

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
A lot of them fall for disingenuous slippery slope arguments when it comes to free speech, and being an absolutist about allowing anybody to spout whatever nonsense they want in public forums is somehow easier to understand than the nuance it would take to argue otherwise.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

ISIS was born when America dismantled the secular Iraqi government and replaced it with a Shiite one. The Sunnis got alienated and disenfranchised as a result, and eventually formed ISIS.

in addition to being irrelevant, this is so oversimplified that it is essentially wrong

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

EwokEntourage posted:

This unsourced quora article by some dude adequately sums up decades of geopolitical issues

I don't want to turn this thread into the Middle East thread. We can take this there if you want.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Starmaker posted:

Remember how at the convention, they got someone who had been his friend for decades and the best thing he could say was that one time Trump was a couple minutes late to undercard fight to talk to a security guard who's son was dying of cancer. Like he didn't offer to pay for the treatment or visit the kid, just talked to the dad for a few minutes.

And that was the best story about Trump he could think of.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SeANMcBAY posted:

Viable

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SeANMcBAY posted:

There exists a similar system (that the Israeli Iron Dome tech is based on) for non-ICBM missiles and rockets.

It gets about 80% of rockets when multiple ones are fired. If someone decided to launch several at once, then it is almost certain that a couple would get through.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SeANMcBAY posted:

The ABM systems we have been working on have (supposedly) been geared towards one-off launches precisely so they would be effective against North Korean missiles but not Russian/Chinese. The (again, supposed) goal is to protect against rogue states that might launch a nuclear weapon but not to end the MAD balance of power and spark a new arms race.

Russia and China haven't been buying it, largely because most ways you can destroy a single ICBM can be scaled up to multiple ICBMs much more easily than getting to the point you can destroy a single ICBM.

So the official answer will be, not at all. The practical answer is, probably pretty effective if it's effective against one.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

So it basically works like Doctor Manhattan.:v:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

SeANMcBAY posted:

So this isn't like all of the other ones for the past 2 decades where they rigged the entire thing and 80% of the time, the intercept still failed?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

evilweasel posted:

in addition to being irrelevant, this is so oversimplified that it is essentially wrong

It is oversimplified because like I said I don't want to turn this into the Middle East thread.

I stand by my original claim, which is that arming Kurds, or any other group in the Middle East, is incredibly risky. Possibly advantageous in the short term, with potentially devastating consequences in the long term.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Neeksy posted:

A lot of them fall for disingenuous slippery slope arguments when it comes to free speech, and being an absolutist about allowing anybody to spout whatever nonsense they want in public forums is somehow easier to understand than the nuance it would take to argue otherwise.

On the flip side, a lot of people don't realize conservatives agree with you that some speech shouldn't be allowed. But because values aren't shared, those lists of speakers/speeches too gross to allow are vastly different.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

enraged_camel posted:

It is oversimplified because like I said I don't want to turn this into the Middle East thread.

I stand by my original claim, which is that arming Kurds, or any other group in the Middle East, is incredibly risky. Possibly advantageous in the short term, with potentially devastating consequences in the long term.

What's the alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

The Looming Tower mostly talks about the people involved in 9/11. It doesn't cover Al Qaeda's origins and background nearly to the same extent that the post I linked does...

That's, uh, not true, given that much of the book is a biography of Al-Qaeda's founders and goes into great detail about bin Laden's time in Afghanistan and how he was perceived there (essentially: as a rich kid joke by the "real" mujahideen leaders). But yeah this isn't the place for that discussion.

• Locked thread