Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There's actually been a few weird coincidences popping up lately to suggest that Sony might actually have some kind of PSP3, like Sony Japan putting out job listings for their Sony Stores after E3 with mentions of "demonstrate new hardware" in store or the Chinese game media being invited by SCEJA for a "world first presentation of new hardware" but I can't imagine Sony seriously wants to take another swing at a portable in 2017 and these are likely just new PS4 Pro things or whatever. There is a years-old patent you can dig up that might have been PSP3 and it's effectively a Nintendo Switch but with Dual Shock controller parts instead of JoyCons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I mean, the switch is doing really really well. Sony and MS are of course gonna try to copy it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What could Sony do at this point to compete with the Switch? A PS4 Portable would be cool, but they aren't going to put a bluray drive on a handheld, so it would have to be digital only.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Probably with an all new device, though I wouldn't expect one for a few years. If they did have Vita 2 plans around they may have a head start though.

I don't really know anything, but think of about how hard they copied the Wii after that was a hit.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

You do know that's a joke account right?

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
If anything it'll be a touch screen with a DS4 strapped onto the sides with an emphasis on remote play

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Megasabin posted:

You do know that's a joke account right?

Univbee knows everything

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A new playstation portable that wasnt just a ps4 would be a dumb move now that they've finally got software out and nobody trusts them to manage 2 platforms. But a portable ps4 would have to be like a laptop size to run and that doesnt seem realistic as a product

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Maybe third time will be the charm and they'll remember that they need to support their product post-release if they want it to have a meaningful presence.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

A new playstation portable that wasnt just a ps4 would be a dumb move now that they've finally got software out and nobody trusts them to manage 2 platforms. But a portable ps4 would have to be like a laptop size to run and that doesnt seem realistic as a product

Maybe something for streaming games from your PS4.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

What could Sony do at this point to compete with the Switch? A PS4 Portable would be cool, but they aren't going to put a bluray drive on a handheld, so it would have to be digital only.

I'd buy a new vita if even all it had was more power under hood and 4 shoulder buttons.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Maybe something for streaming games from your PS4.

All pcs can do this already

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

i guess the stealth genre is dead in AAA isn't it. like.. last year you'd think that it was on the rise, with Dishonored 2, MGS5, Hitman, Deus Ex: MD, now three of those franchises are dead or practically dead. and Assassins Creed has always been garbage as a stealth game so it coming back doesn't mean much

Kinda sad cause there's not really a gameplay experience quite like dishonored/DE:MD where you have so much verticality in maps, so many routes, and the option to ghost or to just run through guns blazing. or hitman where there's so many different ways to achieve a goal.

I honestly think the stealth genre got oversaturated. For awhile it felt like every game you had to do these really long stealth segments and if you hosed up even slightly you got killed. Even games like The Last of Us had a heavy emphasis on stealth. The problem is A)Most developers aren't Hideo Kojima and cant do stealth worth a drat and B)Sometimes I just want to run around and shoot stuff in cool action sequences.

It's probably why the new DOOM and Wolfenstien:The New Order sold shitloads of copies. People get tired of the same poo poo over and over again and you need to break it up with variety.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wolfenstein is 50% stealth tho

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mr President posted:

I honestly think the stealth genre got oversaturated. For awhile it felt like every game you had to do these really long stealth segments and if you hosed up even slightly you got killed. Even games like The Last of Us had a heavy emphasis on stealth. The problem is A)Most developers aren't Hideo Kojima and cant do stealth worth a drat and B)Sometimes I just want to run around and shoot stuff in cool action sequences.

It's probably why the new DOOM and Wolfenstien:The New Order sold shitloads of copies. People get tired of the same poo poo over and over again and you need to break it up with variety.

I'd kill for another Tenchu game developed by Acquire. In a world where Nioh and NieR are successful...is this really too much to ask?

Crusty Juggler
Mar 26, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Wolfenstein is 50% stealth tho

Only if you wanted it to be - when you got caught it wasn't an instafail and instead it just shifts into awesome shootmans mode.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Crusty Juggler posted:

Only if you wanted it to be - when you got caught it wasn't an instafail and instead it just shifts into awesome shootmans mode.
i mean that's basically how Deus Ex HR and MD are too. and dishonored has plenty of ways to get out of any jam

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Maybe third time will be the charm and they'll remember that they need to support their product post-release if they want it to have a meaningful presence.

How are they doing with PSVR?

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'd kill for another Tenchu game developed by Acquire. In a world where Nioh and NieR are successful...is this really too much to ask?

No its not. I would buy a new tenchu and I hate most stealth games.

Quest For Glory II posted:

i mean that's basically how Deus Ex HR and MD are too. and dishonored has plenty of ways to get out of any jam

Nah dishonored really tries to force you to play it stealthy. If you get caught they make it difficult to fight your way through. Then the warn you you'll get a bad ending and more rats will harass you the more you kill.

Mr President fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 31, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mr President posted:

Whenever I think of Tenchu (and I do a lot)...

the music

starts

playing

in my head

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mr President posted:

Nah dishonored really tries to force you to play it stealthy. If you get caught they make it difficult to fight your way through. Then the warn you you'll get a bad ending and more rats will harass you the more you kill.
I haven't really gone the chaos route but I've seen people play the chaos route and it doesn't actually seem difficult, I mean for starters you can blink somewhere away and then go ham on them from afar. but there are also some crazy trick videos out there of the combat

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

All pcs can do this already

Maybe they'll just repackage the Vita again but this time call it a PS4 streaming device.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Rotfl.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

One thing I could maybe see working would be a reverse PS4Pro, a 720p handheld which is effectively a more powerful Vita with shoulder buttons and pushable analog sticks (and probably no rear touch) and runs PS4 games at lower res, but it may not be possible to get even a less powerful driveless PS4 down to the required sizes. Oh, and it'd have to support microSD and content manager.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Electric Phantasm posted:

How are they doing with PSVR?

Surprisingly good. Only time will tell but they've sold nearly a million headsets by now which is about the sales of the rift and vive, combined. Edit: regarding software, they did get a good timed exclusive game at launch (batman VR) and their VR worlds set was good for showing off the headset and they have an exclusive game regarded as one of the best VR games: rush of blood. VR has only been around for 8 months, time will tell how much it improves or decreases but it's certainly not doing worse than Vita.

Regarding another Sony portable, it needs two things that can really help it's success that takes very little effort.

1. Use a standard memory card like micro SD.

2. Make it compatible with all psp, ps1 and Vita titles off the bat.

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 31, 2017

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2017/05/final-fantasy-vii-remake-shifts-toward-internal-development/

The FF7 remake seems to have officially fallen into the same tarpit of development hell that Square RPGs seem to keep falling into into ever since FF12's troubled development.

I wouldn't even expect it to show up this E3 at all as a result, let alone release on the PS4.

Shemune 3 is also confirmed to not be present this E3 at all (their explanation is they're too busy focusing on game development to bother with E3), and with the Last Guardian being a mediocre game upon release I guess that 100% confirms that Sony's 2015 E3 conference was basically nothing but kicking one piece of vaporware out the door and replacing it with another two. At least Horizon: Zero Dawn came out and lived up to the hype.

I think 343 Industries also confirmed that Halo 6 won't be present this E3, leaving Microsoft with that Rare-developed Pirates MMO as their biggest name exclusive to hype up their behemoth of a console.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The last guardian was awesome

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah it delivered exactly what it promised and I loved it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Real hurthling! posted:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the Orb of Zot posted:

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2017/05/final-fantasy-vii-remake-shifts-toward-internal-development/

The FF7 remake seems to have officially fallen into the same tarpit of development hell that Square RPGs seem to keep falling into into ever since FF12's troubled development.

I wouldn't even expect it to show up this E3 at all as a result, let alone release on the PS4.

Shemune 3 is also confirmed to not be present this E3 at all (their explanation is they're too busy focusing on game development to bother with E3), and with the Last Guardian being a mediocre game upon release I guess that 100% confirms that Sony's 2015 E3 conference was basically nothing but kicking one piece of vaporware out the door and replacing it with another two. At least Horizon: Zero Dawn came out and lived up to the hype.

yeah unfortunately 2015's presentation is laughable in retrospect but the stuff they showed last year ---God of War, Spiderman, among other stuff--seems way more on track to release in the next year or so, or at least by next spring.

It's gonna be funny when Death Stranding comes out before any of those other games

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I predict that God of F4ur will get a 2017 release date.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

DLC Inc posted:

It's gonna be funny when Death Stranding comes out before any of those other games

I think Kojima said DS will be out before the Tokyo Olympics

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I think Kojima said DS will be out before the Tokyo Olympics

No he said it'll be a part of the Tokyo Olympics. Speed running has hit the big time

Crusty Juggler
Mar 26, 2009

the Orb of Zot posted:

I think 343 Industries also confirmed that Halo 6 won't be present this E3, leaving Microsoft with that Rare-developed Pirates MMO as their biggest name exclusive to hype up their behemoth of a console.

lol if you expected the FF7 remake to release in this century

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Perhaps they should not have kicked off the development of the game with a rousing "Let's mosey".

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

how long has Kingdom Hearts 3 been in production? FF15 took like what, 8 years and several iterations, and it was obvious by chapters 8-13 of that game that it limped to the finish line. How is this company so loving bad at game production when everyone else can get poo poo done in 2-3 years?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Can't wait for FF7 Remake to have cutscenes with no sounds ripped from the tie-in movie they used to market it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DLC Inc posted:

how long has Kingdom Hearts 3 been in production? FF15 took like what, 8 years and several iterations, and it was obvious by chapters 8-13 of that game that it limped to the finish line. How is this company so loving bad at game production when everyone else can get poo poo done in 2-3 years?

Square-Enix as a publisher isn't beholden to deadlines and the Final Fantasy name is a license to print money. Eight years is a long time but it isn't even the worst example of a tortured and expensive development cycle.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Square-Enix as a publisher isn't beholden to deadlines and the Final Fantasy name is a license to print money. Eight years is a long time but it isn't even the worst example of a tortured and expensive development cycle.

Guru larrys fact hunt just did a video count down of the 5 longest game dev cycles it was really good.

Iirc, ffxv was #5

#1 was a swedish roguelike that took 30 years to go gold but its the only game on the list to not be a debacle the others were very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mr President posted:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Whenever I think of Tenchu (and I do a lot)...

the music

starts

playing

in my head

Yeah, I'd love another Tenchu. I really liked Tenchu Z or whatever on the 360. I just created this ridiculous looking ninja lady who also happened to be a master stealth murderer. It was great. I also would love another Way of the Samurai. You could feel the Tenchu influence in it, especially the soundtrack.

• Locked thread