Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The big bugs are very scary if you're trapped somewhere you can't use guns or explosives, but (Prometheus / Alien: Covenant black goo biological weapons aside) worrying about the aliens as presented in Alien and Aliens destroying the Earth is like worrying that the dinosaurs would escape Jurassic Park and kill everyone.

That said, a Blomkamp movie about life on Earth where these nasty aliens are just another part of life, a la Monsters: Dark Continent, would be pretty cool so long as it doesn't get in the way of whatever Ridley Scott wants to do.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
the outbreak in AvP:R was totally contained, though. The earth was never hosed.

Fun story: You can swap the last 10 minutes of AvP2 and Resident Evil 2 without changing either movie at all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

superh posted:

No lie, I was expecting some reference to this in A:C. Just a little bummed that it doesn't seem to be there. The do such a long Checkov's gun lingering shot on it!

I wondered if this was meant to play into Shaw/the audience's expectation of ancient aliens using magic crystals or something but it was weird that they never mentioned it again. It would be amazing if it was a super long payback in the Alien movie after this one somehow.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The green crystal is there (among other things) to visually establish that the Engineers themselves have things they hold holy, have their own religion, etc. That they may view themselves as gods, but they do so the way Weyland did, via analogy, not the way an actually-existing deity presumably would. There are no answers there to the ultimate questions. Just people with their own artifacts and traditions.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

How funny is it that the highest grossing film in the Alien franchise does NOT have the word Alien in its title.

Breetai posted:

Apropos of nothing (although maybe Blomkamp chat is what got me thinking about it), one of the biggest barriers to doing a good straight sequel to the original 4 Alien films is that the series tends to be the same film just done by different directors. We've had Scott and Cameron do it very very well, one somewhat contentious entry into the series, and one garbage fire. But each time it's been a case of 'one/a few members of a small group of people survive the Alien', with a dash of 'don't let W-Y get their hands on it for their bioweapons division' thrown in. The one thing I'd like to see if anyone did another straight sequel is to just finally pull the pin and do the one thing the series has never done before. I want to see Alien: The Earth is hosed.

I want to see the inevitable consequences of the Aliens getting loose on Earth, with the outcome of it being a completely irreversible loss of our home planet. I don't want to see smartguns firing and Colonial Marines beating them back or successfully containing them, because they're not a threat you can fight conventionally, and The Earth is hosed. I want to see the 'win condition' for the protagonists not being defeating the Aliens but rather just successfully abandoning our homeworld because The Earth is hosed. Show me the paranoia of our exoplanetary colonies when dealing with the resulting refugee crisis because they know that just one infectee could lead to their own demise - I'm sure that there's some thematic elements that you could derive from the current geopolitical climate there. Show me the nuclear sterilization of major population centers as a vain attempt to slow the spread. Make sure that the audience knows that The Earth is hosed by 45 minutes in to the movie and then get bleaker from there.

Too bad Blomkamp wants to do Aliens: Genisys instead.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay, but if Blomkamp had directed Terminator: Genisys, it would have been amazing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Even if Cameron directed that, i'd be poo poo. There's nothing interesting left to tell in the Connor Saga.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I actually really like the idea presented in Genisys, of a "reboot" of the saga a recursive mythology. Everything is different, and yet it is the same because it is a self perpetuating cycle. Legend becomes myth, myth becomes reality.

Edit: the whole "unveiling the new killer app which is also an OS" thing was beyond stupid though.

And I swear I've seen that gimmick in some other movie too, but I can't place it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 30, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Snak posted:

I actually really like the idea presented in Genisys, of a "reboot" of the saga a recursive mythology. Everything is different, and yet it is the same because it is a self perpetuating cycle. Legend becomes myth, myth becomes reality.

Yeah, Genisys is good.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Genesys wasn't good, but for a franchise so convoluted with time travel, retcons, and other temporal chicanery, I did not mind at all that it decided to run with that nonsense and go to 11 with it. Does it make any sense who sent the Protector Terminator? A second T1000? Not a drat bit, and I don't care.

Besides, I've always wanted to see the End Of The Future War scene.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

Even if Cameron directed that, i'd be poo poo. There's nothing interesting left to tell in the Connor Saga.

did you actually see Genisys? it's not really good but it is sure as gently caress interesting.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snak posted:

Edit: the whole "unveiling the new killer app which is also an OS" thing was beyond stupid though.

And I swear I've seen that gimmick in some other movie too, but I can't place it.

It was before "apps" as we use the term now but Terminator 3 was going for the same thing with Skynet taking advantage of the ubiquity of the internet and compatible OSes and stuff rather than a single program in a single government building. They make a point of how there's no single "main computer" or single defense grid you can destroy and then say you destroyed Skynet like in the first movie.

I enjoyed Genisys quite a bit. I'm never going to watch it again but it was never boring and had a lot of fun moments in it. The effects got REALLY bad from the second half of the bus chase on though, which was a big letdown for a Terminator movie. Even Salvation has great effects all around.

I understand why Jai Courtney/Emilia Clarke were cast, to have the characters reflect the more coddled upbringing they received thanks to them both being raised by people who literally know the future, but there was zero chemistry there. I don't even mean that romantically just in general.

I love the effect where SkyJohn is getting pulled apart by the MRI while trying to walk forward and leaving "shadows" of his entire body behind him, that was legit stunning to me because it both looked cool and it's not a thing I think any movie ever really attempted before to that degree. But man CGI helicopters later on? :(

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just mean the whole idea that like, Google or whoever would ha e a new killer app that no one even knew what it was and there was no beta or anything and it's gonna unlock at midnight and change the world or whatever is just the dumbest thing.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Snak posted:

I just mean the whole idea that like, Google or whoever would ha e a new killer app that no one even knew what it was and there was no beta or anything and it's gonna unlock at midnight and change the world or whatever is just the dumbest thing.

Where are you getting that no one knows what it is? It just seemed like super-Siri to me, which is also kind of silly as a huge deal, but it didn't seem like a mystery.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snak posted:

I agree that people getting superhype for something new even though it turns out it will destroy the world plays better after the most recent presidential election than when Genisys was released.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

did you actually see Genisys? it's not really good but it is sure as gently caress interesting.

I saw it opening day and it was the most boring lifeless thing. It's not interesting. It's a fan film that doesn't want to tell a new story but the same old story with the same old characters except played by way way way worse actors.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I saw it opening day and it was the most boring lifeless thing. It's not interesting. It's a fan film that doesn't want to tell a new story but the same old story with the same old characters except played by way way way worse actors.

Just think while all of us are working Jai Courtney gets to make $$$$ by standing in one place and looking forward.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Aliens? Check.

Sigourney Weaver? Check.

From the guy who made District 9 and Chappie? Check & check.

https://youtu.be/zoiezEB9n2Q

For all this likely came from the shelved Blomkamp Alien film, this looks suspiciously like a follow up to District 9.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Where are you getting that no one knows what it is? It just seemed like super-Siri to me, which is also kind of silly as a huge deal, but it didn't seem like a mystery.

That's what they say it is, but that's not what it actually is. Killer App that is actually something evil to take over the world is like a captain planet level plot device

If they actually had super Siri, than the countdown rollout gimmick is totally unnecessary. The could just be selling the product like regular people and then oh by the way, the server is using the distributed processing power to be skynet. But then there isn't a convenient count down for the protagonists to race against.

It's an interesting idea forced into this plot point of needing a countdown, even though it makes almost no sense to have one.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Agreed that the countdown is pure plot device.

However, it's not at all clear that the killer app actually does anything evil.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Not sure what Bloody Disgusting is, but someone made a joke about an anime robot in aliens by Bloukamp and, while looking for one of those anime eyed pictures of Bishop, found out there was going to be an aliens kid cartoon at one point. :psyduck:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Those toys were loving AWESOME, though.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

RedSpider posted:

How funny is it that the highest grossing film in the Alien franchise does NOT have the word Alien in its title.

Only because of inflation. Alien and Aliens are both over 200 mil domestically adjusted for ticket price. Impossible to say internationally I guess

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

DeimosRising posted:

Only because of inflation. Alien and Aliens are both over 200 mil domestically adjusted for ticket price. Impossible to say internationally I guess

Likely lower, but mostly due to the fact that we often didn't give a flying gently caress about international releases back then.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

It was kinda funny that to stretch the toy line you got such fan favorites as Apone and Drake (maybe Frost even squeaked in there at one point?).

Speaking of, my bro brought up the 'plot hole' of the two eggs showing up on their escape vehicle (was it the Sulaco, or did it detach from the Sulaco?). Anyway, my guess was the queen had a hive mind with the drones and a few carried them in there prior to the colony exploding. He says there wouldn't have been time, and he guesses the retcon would now be 'LOL David'.

Anybody know? I am not as big on an Aliens nerd as my brother on this topic.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Alien and Aliens were huge in Europe.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Americans generally seem that way.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

I think Salvation had a lot of potential. They could have crafted a great story had they focused on the angle of John Connor not knowing how to live up to the legend he was supposed to be, rather than trying to create new types of terminator and bringing back Arnie with CGI.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

are the Dark Horse Alien Omnibus comic collections worth getting?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just the one with Labyrinth.

Covok
May 27, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Just the one with Labyrinth.

Really? Of all the Alien comics, Labyrinth is the one you like the most? The one with the evil scientist and where you can fend off Aliens with a force of will?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Labyrinth is awesome because Jim Woodring is awesome.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Covok posted:

Really? Of all the Alien comics, Labyrinth is the one you like the most? The one with the evil scientist and where you can fend off Aliens with a force of will?

It's amazing. The part in the hive is fantastic and why I don't really subscribe to the whole, "show more of the aliens you ruin the mystery" thing because all of that scene is horrific and terrifying in the ways that an Alien film should be.

It's great.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Aliens also make him sex his mom in Labyrinth .

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

alf_pogs posted:

are the Dark Horse Alien Omnibus comic collections worth getting?
I like the first series made after Aliens (retroactively called Book One) but I think it's colorized in the omnibus which is an abomination. I have some nostalgia for it that clouds my judgement, but the art is generally very good and the story isn't too embarrassing. The only other stories I have are the original Alien adaptation by Walt Simonson and Labyrinth (which I wasn't terribly impressed with; it felt pretty overwrought to me). Flipping through the Omnibus collections didn't exactly inspire me to buy any more.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm very much not a comics-liking person, but in a quest to fill an alien shaped hole in my life I read a bunch of them and they were all really bad except for Labyrinth. It was creepy and did new things, the rest all felt like someone's fanfiction that just rehashed aliens over and over, or like really bad starwars EU stuff.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Something similar happened with Terminator 2, I think there's actually some teaser footage of it but it never really got made or released. However like Operation: ALIENS all the action figures came out and there were TV commercials for them.

One that did actually come out was "Conan the Barbarian," in the form of He-Man. It was going to be official Conan the Barbarian figures and cartoon but unlike with RAMBO, RoboCop, etc. at that point they didn't feel like basing a kid's show on it when the movie came out but they didn't want to waste the action figure molds/etc. But if you ever wondered why there's a ton of He-Man heroes/villains snake motifs that's why. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
I hope the next movie is about David learning that the only thing better than creating a horrific race of rape monsters is merchandising them.