Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

That sounds beautiful. SFO really does make all the "evil" factions more menacing so you did a wonderful thing.

I'm really happy with SFO because if you play Empire, it basically makes all your enemies strong enough that you'll be the only one who'll be able to handle them and that's very refreshing. I fuckin' love fighting greenskins and undead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah im playing a super modded SFO game right now and its really fun/refreshing when you've got a ton of time in the game already.

I think im using...

SFO
All tabletop lords
SFO all tabletop lords submod
SFO vampire regen cap submod (theyre crazy even with out it)
Instant quest battles
Followers overhaul
Drink It
Rebanner
Legendary Lords Remastered
Starting traits remastered
Better camera
Home region movement bonus

they all seem to work together and lol, its crazy times. Every battle is awesome.

I started empire as fuckin Gelt and holy poo poo he clears units out with his spells all on his own, but you need it since poo poo be bonkers.

queeb fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 31, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Which is how Gelt should be: the Supreme Patriarch's job description is "once every eight years, every magister in the Empire gets a chance to duel me to the death if they want the job."

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah like, he gets a free use lazer spell thing, then his searing whatevers and golden dogs stuff and my god, unleash those on a pack of enemies and they just disappear, he's fantastic. plus army wide +armor damage and poo poo.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

queeb posted:

yeah like, he gets a free use lazer spell thing, then his searing whatevers and golden dogs stuff and my god, unleash those on a pack of enemies and they just disappear, he's fantastic. plus army wide +armor damage and poo poo.

I used Ghennas Golden Hounds on a super dense brick of ghouls crammed in the courtyard behind the main gate. Bunch of hopping magic puppies were causing so much disruption that ghouls were bouncing and splashing around as if someone dropped a couple big rocks into a pond. And my framerate tumbled to like .0001FPS lol.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

wiegieman posted:

Which is how Gelt should be: the Supreme Patriarch's job description is "once every eight years, every magister in the Empire gets a chance to duel me to the death if they want the job."

"I don't mind this arrangement, of course, but motherfuckers need to up their duel game. I've got resounding job security."

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Makes me tossing Volkmar or generic Lord xxxx into the spot most games even sillier. The Empire offices are so weak compared to Orion's.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Makes me tossing Volkmar or generic Lord xxxx into the spot most games even sillier. The Empire offices are so weak compared to Orion's.

Even with all the mods I use, Volkmar + Flagellants deathblob still isn't good enough to beat Volkmar + Greatswords deathblob. Volkmar reaffirming his Grand Theogonist office should turn them into a complete chainsaw of a unit that is more than a tarpit that's dangerous to unarmored garbage.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just having Volkmar give armor-piercing damage to Flagellants would make the flagellants relevant.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

toasterwarrior posted:

Even with all the mods I use, Volkmar + Flagellants deathblob still isn't good enough to beat Volkmar + Greatswords deathblob. Volkmar reaffirming his Grand Theogonist office should turn them into a complete chainsaw of a unit that is more than a tarpit that's dangerous to unarmored garbage.

Flagellants are much cheaper, of course.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gort posted:

Flagellants are much cheaper, of course.

Certainly, but eventually you reach a point where money is less an issue than the unit slot. It's basically the Skarsnik thing again: sure, Skarsnik can eventually run with Black Orcs or whatever, but it's so much more fun to let him show the Old World how gobbos are da best. Let Volkmar's Flagellants kill like Skarsnik's gobbos on the offensive, as long as they die like them too if you're not on the ball with Volkmar's defensive buffs.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Uh, ok? What else can I bring along for cost savings? Because on the higher difficulties cost-effectiveness is definitely an issue with your armies. If Volkmar could make his flagellants tear through a unit specifically designed to withstand unarmored damage dealers, for cheaper and for quicker build times, why would you possibly build anything else?

The only issue is that late game becomes more about armor and armor-piercing​ interactions so a unit that has neither of those becomes less useful. A higher level ability for Volkmar and Arch-Lectors that gives them a small amount of AP might work well, I suppose.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Uh, ok? What else can I bring along for cost savings? Because on the higher difficulties cost-effectiveness is definitely an issue with your armies. If Volkmar could make his flagellants tear through a unit specifically designed to withstand unarmored damage dealers, for cheaper and for quicker build times, why would you possibly build anything else?

The only issue is that late game becomes more about armor and armor-piercing​ interactions so a unit that has neither of those becomes less useful. A higher level ability for Volkmar and Arch-Lectors that gives them a small amount of AP might work well, I suppose.

Haha, I wasn't disagreeing with you or anything, just bummed too that the Empire offices barely do anything. SFO gives like +5 melee defense and an upkeep discount to Flagellants in the Grand Theogonist's army, but I don't feel it's enough to make them stand out.

I do like the idea of a high-level skill for the religious lords turning them into AP damage dealers as well. Considering how all the Flagellant skill bonuses are about improving their offensive capabilities, the capstone skill (25% missile resistance) is probably better off giving them AP damage instead of bolstering their survivability against ranged attacks. That way, you get the "droves of insane lunatics killing everyone and dying at the same time" effect.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Have Volkmars capstone ability give them some additional magic damage so flagellants can smash Ghosts with the power of faith.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I think Reiksmarshall is the most disappointing office. "Hey, get me to level 10 so to get +2 EXP Reiksguard. Yes, at this point you'll likely be bringing in the Demigryph's, and the two-turn build further hurts, and the only other benefit is a +1 local recruitment slot, but that's worth the wait!"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Haha, I wasn't disagreeing with you or anything, just bummed too that the Empire offices barely do anything. SFO gives like +5 melee defense and an upkeep discount to Flagellants in the Grand Theogonist's army, but I don't feel it's enough to make them stand out.

I do like the idea of a high-level skill for the religious lords turning them into AP damage dealers as well. Considering how all the Flagellant skill bonuses are about improving their offensive capabilities, the capstone skill (25% missile resistance) is probably better off giving them AP damage instead of bolstering their survivability against ranged attacks. That way, you get the "droves of insane lunatics killing everyone and dying at the same time" effect.
My bad. Yeah, I could get behind AP, magic, or both instead of missile resistance as the capstone.

Onmi posted:

I think Reiksmarshall is the most disappointing office. "Hey, get me to level 10 so to get +2 EXP Reiksguard. Yes, at this point you'll likely be bringing in the Demigryph's, and the two-turn build further hurts, and the only other benefit is a +1 local recruitment slot, but that's worth the wait!"
Compare it to the Trickster's Masque, which gives you the ability to trade with non-Welves in addition to 10% weapon damage and +1 exp for Wardancers, which are units you'll be building all the time, unlike Reiksguard (which compete with Empire Knights, Blazing Sun knights, and Demigryphs). Or the Herald of the Hunt, which gives you 20% campaign movement even before the Wild Hunt event fires, which gives you good leadership and charge bonuses on top of looting income, Wild Rider recruitment, and campaign map movement. They're also gated behind buildings which provide their own benefits instead of level.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

What was that one mod that specifically rebalanced the Empire Campaign to give it a Chivalry-esque resource that affected diplomacy with other Empire states?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Legitimacy

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

I want to say a few other mods incorporated this but I can't remember which. Pretty sweet mod for sure.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
One of the things that annoy me the most about this game is how the Empire always gets wiped out by Norsca, Chaos, Beastmen, all kinds of hosed up poo poo and what have you (i never get to wipe them out myself). This got me wondering about what it's like in the lore. For you guys that are into that, read the books and etc, is the Empire always on the defensive and being hosed up by everything there too, barely keeping together?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Dongattack posted:

One of the things that annoy me the most about this game is how the Empire always gets wiped out by Norsca, Chaos, Beastmen, all kinds of hosed up poo poo and what have you (i never get to wipe them out myself). This got me wondering about what it's like in the lore. For you guys that are into that, read the books and etc, is the Empire always on the defensive and being hosed up by everything there too, barely keeping together?

Pretty much. Though usually it's not all happening at the same time. Chaos will rise and threaten everything, then 50 years later there's another batch of Vampires stirring up poo poo, etc.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dongattack posted:

They're constantly at war but they don't get their heartlands razed/exterminated to the extent they do in the game. Chaos winning means the end times so up until the actual End Times, chaos couldn't be written as making too much progress, and the VC were beaten down in the "past" of the setting, leaving the Empire in a pretty strong place. In the original timeline Mannfred is in hiding during Franz's reign and Archaon is still building up strength/

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Dongattack posted:

its recent history is extended periods of internal squabbling punctuated with massive invasions from chaos that are often barely held off, so it's actually fairly accurate

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Couple of basic questions about diplomacy:

Is it worth offering deals if the AI has a low chance to accept? Does that mean "sometimes, rarely" or "not gonna happen?"

Is there any downside to spamming the AI with proposals each turn? Will repeatedly requesting and them denying things hurt relations?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Low means no, with a very small chance that they'll counter-offer something

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Couple of basic questions about diplomacy:

Is there any downside to spamming the AI with proposals each turn? Will repeatedly requesting and them denying things hurt relations?

I've wondered this too. Anyone know?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
There's no diplomatic penalty for proposing stuff or for being turned down.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

its recent history is extended periods of internal squabbling punctuated with massive invasions from chaos that are often barely held off, so it's actually fairly accurate

To add to that, the "historical" Storm of Chaos, which the game's events are based of, ended with Hochland, Ostland and Middenland being sacked by the forces of Chaos before the whole thing is stopped at Middenheim (which lost about 80k inhabitants) but the rest of the Empire is mostly untouched apart from sending their troops and Grimgor Ironhide cutting his way to the big climatic battle. Talabecland actually gains population from the refugees! Note that this is supposed to be one the greatest invasions in history, but you should also consider that the Empire had it worse when Grom the Paunch held the capital or during the Vampire Wars, events that happened centuries before.

What I mean to say is that Archaon is a less successful conquerer than a fat Goblin.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

ZearothK posted:

What I mean to say is that Archaon is a less successful conquerer than a fat Goblin.

Yeah, but Grom is infinity more awesome then Archeon. CA will miss a massive opportunity if he is not present in the sequel, rolling his chariot through high elf lines.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My only experience with WFB before was Diskwars, are all the major heroes alive at the time of the game?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
So I'm not certain if range upgrades affect missile infantry like they are supposed to, but unfortunately they don't benefit any artillery, including Organ Guns. However, the reload and rate of fire bonuses DO stack, and I'm currently sitting on an army whose Quarrelers are doing 75 damage and ranged units rip through advancing infantry as if they were getting raked by miniguns. I can't wait to try this gunline out on the Chaos forces that inevitably come stampeding through.

Those Engineer Lords in Steel Faith are a LOT of fun.

I dunno if you can tell if these quarrelers and thunderers are shooting from unusually long range, or this is normal distance, but in this view (with the camera completely zoomed out to see everybody) it sure looks like they are shooting from a long way away.

Panfilo fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 31, 2017

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Panfilo posted:

So I'm not certain if range upgrades affect missile infantry like they are supposed to, but unfortunately they don't benefit any artillery, including Organ Guns.

This is why my dwarf mod changed all artillery range increases to something else.

Iron drakes are even worse with range increases, they'll fire, waste ammo, and deal no damage, which is really bad when combined with their already limited range when enemies are coming down on them.

Try including 4+ engineers with an army of thunderers and artillery. I've seen cannon fire faster than quarrelers.

Which explains why I've seen such mixed opinions on artillery, if you go all in it is completely absurd.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

KPC_Mammon posted:

This is why my dwarf mod changed all artillery range increases to something else.

Iron drakes are even worse with range increases, they'll fire, waste ammo, and deal no damage, which is really bad when combined with their already limited range when enemies are coming down on them.

Try including 4+ engineers with an army of thunderers and artillery. I've seen cannon fire faster than quarrelers.

Which explains why I've seen such mixed opinions on artillery, if you go all in it is completely absurd.

Yeah in my screenshot I have a Master Engineer and 2 regular Engineers, all with the army-wide bonus damage/ROF skills then the Master Engineer also has a 'Everything that shoots gets another +12% damage'. Eventually I'm going to unlock Wall Breaker which in SFO gives you +11% artillery damage.

Does Ballistics Calibration stack with itself? Because that would get absolutely insane with multiple engineers, just activate it on everybody and you're getting like +80% ROF increases, a bajillion armor piercing, etc.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

To add to that, the "historical" Storm of Chaos, which the game's events are based of, ended with Hochland, Ostland and Middenland being sacked by the forces of Chaos before the whole thing is stopped at Middenheim (which lost about 80k inhabitants) but the rest of the Empire is mostly untouched apart from sending their troops and Grimgor Ironhide cutting his way to the big climatic battle. Talabecland actually gains population from the refugees! Note that this is supposed to be one the greatest invasions in history, but you should also consider that the Empire had it worse when Grom the Paunch held the capital or during the Vampire Wars, events that happened centuries before.

Even all this was quite literally given to him by Games Workshop as by actual results he should have been trapped in the chaos wastes as almost everybody joined up to dunk on him.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

StashAugustine posted:

My only experience with WFB before was Diskwars, are all the major heroes alive at the time of the game?

My understanding is that Azhag should be long dead by this point in the setting, but that didn't stop them from putting him in.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It made for a good setting in WFRP 2nd edition, with the Empire cleaning up the aftermath of the Storm and there being danger and opportunity everywhere. At least until they decided that Sigmarines would sell more, but I'm not sure that's actually the case with WFRP 4e being made.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wiegieman posted:

It made for a good setting in WFRP 2nd edition, with the Empire cleaning up the aftermath of the Storm and there being danger and opportunity everywhere. At least until they decided that Sigmarines would sell more, but I'm not sure that's actually the case with WFRP 4e being made.

I'm really astonished they're making a 4e and still setting it in the Old World.

Astonished and happy, as I love 2e.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Out of curiosity, does Steel Faith do anything for the Empires lack-luster offices?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
From what I understood when i played tabletop for a short time, Norsca were vikings ineffectively raiding the coast because it was vikings vs walls, artillery, and steel plate. And they were typically too busy fighting eachother unless a chaos champion showed up to unite and direct them. Orcs and night gobbos were a far more dangerous and everpresent threat, but even that was mostly directed at the Dwarves who never really recovered from the Slaan tectonic plate fuckery/the war of the beard.

Also Vlad is dead.

The real tldr of the setting is "all the bad guys are too busy killing themselves or non-human factions, and could be a world ending threat if they united under one leader"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Onmi posted:

Out of curiosity, does Steel Faith do anything for the Empires lack-luster offices?

They do a bit but IMO not enough. I'd be cool with a high level requirement in exchange for much more potent effects.

Off the top of my head, the more valuable ones for battle are:

Castellan-Engineer: now gets artillery reload rate bonus.
Grand Theogonist: +5 melee defense and upkeep reduction for Flagellants.
Supreme Patriarch: winds winds winds.
Reiksmarshal: vigour bonus for army's cavalry.

• Locked thread