Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Sweet, so I don't have to stay up late ala Brexit. Most excellent

I think the brexitexit poll was also accurate, I stayed up that whole night and don't remember much

E: today is the birthday of one of the idolm@ster girls

Namtab fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

I think the brexitexit poll was also accurate, I stayed up that whole night and don't remember much

There wasn't one.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Pretty much straight away and it was bang on. The only way i can see that projection being true is if we have a "shy corbyn" effect where people don't want to say they're voting for him but actually like his policies and vote for him anyway.

It's unlikely YouGov included a shy Labour effect in this prediction. It's far more likely if it turns out to be horribly inaccurate it's because voting groups that said they would turn out for Labour didn't.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Pochoclo posted:

This is horrifying and the real heinous aspect of this is that it's so goddamn easily solvable. Hell, the bastards are probably putting in effort to gently caress it up this bad.

like, she already has a wheelchair. It wouldn't solve everything but all you'd need to do to at least increase her quality of life significantly is find a ground floor apartment somewhere, how can this be a thing we can't manage as a society

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Pretty much straight away and it was bang on.

In fact, it merely predicted the Tories being the largest party instead of having a majority, though that's not really much of a failure given how small the majority was. Still it made for a fun evening that started with holy poo poo surely not and slowly mutated into, oh no it's not after all it's actually worse. Fun times.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Sweet, so I don't have to stay up late ala Brexit. Most excellent

ala brexit i am going to get horrifically drunk regardless of the outcome

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

There wasn't one.

Told you I didn't remember much!

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

and then ala brexit decided weather this was a good or bad thing when I finally mange to switch on the tv the next afternoon and remember what happened

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I imagine the headline "youth turnout" figure will be significantly higher than before just because a lot of people with no political engagement will have just fallen off the electoral register due to the new rules. That isn't to say that more young people will actually vote in absolute terms, just that a greater proportion of those registered probably will.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

I hear Corbyn is trying to send Britain back to the 1970s so this is a very good thing.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

All those years and it was never 69

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

So 'no' then?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

when did the Beeb announce the exit poll in 2015? I would have been paying attention but I had personal things to deal with

As others mentioned, it was immediately after the polls closed, but I want to add that one of the things which really stood out was that everyone was blown away by it, for the first few hours even the Tory panelists didn't believe the poll.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Namtab posted:

Told you I didn't remember much!

There wasn't one, and leave thought they'd lost so badly Farage had conceded by half past 10, then quickly un conceded.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Turnout figures are given as a proportion of the eligable electorate not the ones on the register I'm pretty sure?

And iirc, I have a feeling the 2015 beeb exit poll put the Tories at 326 seats: I have that stuck in my head as a prediction for some reason.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

nothing to seehere posted:

Turnout figures are given as a proportion of the eligable electorate not the ones on the register I'm pretty sure?

And iirc, I have a feeling the 2015 beeb exit poll put the Tories at 326 seats: I have that stuck in my head as a prediction for some reason.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

El Grillo posted:

Have you guys seen this poo poo (Guardian video today, lady with a disability affected by cuts): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fbUqcc2bGs

I am loving seething. May and her shitbags are unbelievable cunts. gently caress them.

gently caress me that is horrendous.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pissflaps posted:

So 'no' then?

since 1992:

-13%
-14%
-2%
+14%
-8%

Sure looks like "changing markedly" to me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Angepain posted:

like, she already has a wheelchair. It wouldn't solve everything but all you'd need to do to at least increase her quality of life significantly is find a ground floor apartment somewhere, how can this be a thing we can't manage as a society

It sounded like the cabbies bought her the wheelchair after seeing her struggling, not that she got it from the government or was somehow able to afford it herself. It's a loving tragic video though, especially when you consider that of the 12 million disabled people in the UK there are likely tens or hundreds of thousands with as serious or worse health problems as her struggling along.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Julio Cruz posted:

since 1992:

-13%
-14%
-2%
+14%
-8%

Sure looks like "changing markedly" to me.

You're perfectly entitled to think that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

But you see if they were just prepared to put some effort in they could get themselves out of *farrrrrrt*

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
e: you know what I have better things to do with my time than argue with useless cretins

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Not trying to sound crass but that 12 million figure was surprising to me. What are the least severe conditions that are included in the definition?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

So 'no' then?

Iooking at the last 20 years a range of 38-54% with an average change of 7.8%

If we look at the last 30 years that range goes up to 38-67 with an average change of 7.2%

All recordings on that list is 38-70 with average change of 5.9%

Interestingly then, there's more average changes in the % of youth voters in recent years, whereas it was a lot more stable and higher pre-blair.

Whether this is significant or not is for you lot to decide

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jesus that video.

How do we unfuck this.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
'Guess the 18-24 turnout percentage' would be a fun game. I'll go with 56%.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
-backseating, accidental post-

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Steve2911 posted:

Jesus that video.

How do we unfuck this.

canvas for labour in a marginal

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

For final comparison

Post 97 is 38-57 with an average change of7.8%

Pre 97 is 61-70% with an average change of 2.8%

So yes, in recent years there has been a marked change in youth voting figures, both in terms of being consistently lower than before as well (sometimes less than half eligible) as well as a dramatic shift in the variance between elections. This is an objective fact as shown by the numbers pissflaps posted

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

'Guess the 18-24 turnout percentage' would be a fun game. I'll go with 56%.

56% seems a little high, I'm feeling 53%

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Going with 63%

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Namtab posted:

For final comparison

Post 97 is 38-57 with an average change of7.8%

Pre 97 is 61-70% with an average change of 2.8%

So yes, in recent years there has been a marked change in youth voting figures, both in terms of being consistently lower than before as well (sometimes less than half eligible) as well as a dramatic shift in the variance between elections. This is an objective fact as shown by the numbers pissflaps posted

An average change of 8% doesn't sound dramatic or marked to me. Your use of the terms is subjective.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

El Grillo posted:

Not trying to sound crass but that 12 million figure was surprising to me. What are the least severe conditions that are included in the definition?

I'm not sure but one of the sources I looked at says that 1.2 million people use a wheelchair: http://www.papworthtrust.org.uk/sites/default/files/Disability%20Facts%20and%20Figures%202016.pdf (page 20). Even assuming (just to pick a number from the air) that three quarters have enough mobility that they only need to use their wheelchair part of the time, that's going to be a lot of people living in places unsuited to the basic need of being able to get around their own home unassisted.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Going with 63%

gently caress it, im gonna say 69%, the funny sex number

also don't forget to :toxx: for a charity lads, I'm going with centrepoint

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Pissflaps posted:

An average change of 8% doesn't sound dramatic or marked to me. Your use of the terms is subjective.

as is your use of the terms. i'm looking real hard in my statistics dictionary but "marked" isn't actually a rigorously defined term. just to clarify here, this is a discussion you started about the meanings of words that don't have a specific meaning.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
OY VEY SHUT IT DOWN

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Angepain posted:

as is your use of the terms. i'm looking real hard in my statistics dictionary but "marked" isn't actually a rigorously defined term. just to clarify here, this is a discussion you started about the meanings of words that don't have a specific meaning.

No it started here

Irony Be My Shield posted:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/12/07/analysis-what-went-wrong-our-ge15-polling-and-what/

The ComRes methodology seems very dodgy to me. I get that pollsters were burned last time but just throwing up your hands and assuming that almost everything will be the same as last time (even though stuff like voter turnout by age does change quite markedly from election to election) seems to defeat the purpose of predictive polling.

I don't think the relatively small changes in turnout justifies claiming that relying on historic turnout figures is unreliable.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
A bunch of idiots unconnected with the Labour party posting crap on twitter is front page evidence that Corbyn hates Jews.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

big scary monsters posted:

A bunch of idiots unconnected with the Labour party posting crap on twitter is front page evidence that Corbyn hates Jews.

I suspect Sam Hyde is behind all of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

big scary monsters posted:

Also no mention of everyone telling them to gently caress off immediately.

• Locked thread