Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Do 17 year olds you recruit gain another trait when they turn 18? Since they only have their childhood trait at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

enraged_camel posted:

Do 17 year olds you recruit gain another trait when they turn 18? Since they only have their childhood trait at that point.

[Artery Blockage]

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DAMMIT

So I got a warning about a volcanic winter, which, according to the message, can last several seasons.

I started freaking out and immediately mobilized everyone, then went through a major restructuring. Covered ALL my farmlands with roofs and walls, built sunlights, got rid of solar and built shitloads of wind turbines (which required clearing vast areas of the wilderness), and redid the whole power grid. I also built everyone winter clothes, which I previously had not done since winters are usually pretty warm at my location.

Just as I got done (after about 15 in-game days), it told me the volcanic ashes have settled. gently caress you, Rimworld!

Sigh. I think I'm done with my current game. It sucks to prepare for what is supposed to be a huge challenge only to have it turn out to be lame.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Yeah, but now you're set for other sorts of emergencies.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

enraged_camel posted:

Sigh. I think I'm done with my current game. It sucks to prepare for what is supposed to be a huge challenge only to have it turn out to be lame.

I remember when I had a toxic cloud and it lasted for exactly long enough for me to enclose my base (but not my fields) and kill every single animal on the map.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Try a tundra embark, somewhere with some major temperature swing. Really hot summers are generally even harder.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Try a tundra embark, somewhere with some major temperature swing. Really hot summers are generally even harder.

Also consider adding the climate cycle modifier to your start, it basically turns each year into a season of a 4 year temperature cycle.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
So I generally avoid mods for *purity* but after adding hand me that brick, the mod that let's your caravans set up temporary camps, and EPOE, I'm game for more, especially anything for utility. Apparently zone controls let you create a growing zone over rich soil but isn't up to a17 and that's something I especially want.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I can't play until enhanced crafting is updated, being able to specify which pawn works on which job is so huge and needs to be a core feature.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

GodspeedSphere posted:

So I generally avoid mods for *purity* but after adding hand me that brick, the mod that let's your caravans set up temporary camps, and EPOE, I'm game for more, especially anything for utility. Apparently zone controls let you create a growing zone over rich soil but isn't up to a17 and that's something I especially want.

Doormats and the refrigerator mod are both simple things that really feel like they should be in vanilla

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I hope the next update adds some purpose to rivers. Maybe fishing, irrigation, hydro power as energy source, and the ability to build river ships for fast travel up/down rivers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Bridges...

What happens if you put moisture pumps there? I have to assume that there's no concept of water in -> water out like in DF.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I wish that huge and large rivers were entirely unpassable deep water. I want to start on a road crossing river map and control the only bridge dammit.

Also if you havent done cult mod its a fun twist that i have sunk more hours into than probably vanilla RW. Love sacrificing dudes to have a colony of horrifically warped pawns with eyestalks and tentacles. Would only be better if the graphics changed to show the changes. My A16 cult had a good run and with the changes in jade i am excited to make an even more oppulant temple for the dark gods.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

EmbryoSteve posted:

I wish that huge and large rivers were entirely unpassable deep water. I want to start on a road crossing river map and control the only bridge dammit.

You could technically use dev mode and alter the terrain if you wanted to try a true river map

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Volmarias posted:

Bridges...

What happens if you put moisture pumps there? I have to assume that there's no concept of water in -> water out like in DF.

moisture pumps don't affect deep water so ostensibly you'd drain the banks and then nothing else would happen

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Fertile Fields mod updated to A17, so if you've got the labour you can dredge the river to be impassable :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

I hope the next update adds some purpose to rivers. Maybe fishing, irrigation, hydro power as energy source, and the ability to build river ships for fast travel up/down rivers.

The bridges mod also includes a compact alternative to the fish industry mod, it's not bad.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish the base game had some well implemented and fun water/waste management. Your kitchens and bathrooms and such need water, your hydroponics need water, crops can be irrigated. Water needs to be clean and waste water disposed of somewhere that doesn't contaminate the colony. Bad water would lead to health issues, lack of running water and sanitation causes health and mood issues.

Access to fresh water was generally one of the biggest factors in sieges historically too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Baronjutter posted:

I wish the base game had some well implemented and fun water/waste management. Your kitchens and bathrooms and such need water, your hydroponics need water, crops can be irrigated. Water needs to be clean and waste water disposed of somewhere that doesn't contaminate the colony. Bad water would lead to health issues, lack of running water and sanitation causes health and mood issues.

Access to fresh water was generally one of the biggest factors in sieges historically too.

There is a hygiene mod that adds bathrooms and such if you wanted to tack that on

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Azhais posted:

There is a hygiene mod that adds bathrooms and such if you wanted to tack that on

I've played with that, and honestly it's really not worth it. It sounded like it'd add another layer to think about when in reality you just make a washroom and then forget about it :( also if anyone gets hurt the hospital gets flooded with bed pans that for some reason are the lowest priority for cleaning. The mod experience is that you pretty much forget about it entirely unless it's being annoying

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Baronjutter posted:

You might like Oxygen Not Included, a large component of long-term survival in that game is liquid and gas handling, and the last few updates substantially fleshed out the existing systems, allowing colonies larger than 4-5 to be stable for longer than 45-60 days.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Oxygen Not Included just got released to early access, and it handles this (fluid management) really really well. It is similar to Rimworld in some aspects, but also very different. Check it out if you haven't.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

enraged_camel posted:

Oxygen Not Included just got released to early access, and it handles this (fluid management) really really well. It is similar to Rimworld in some aspects, but also very different. Check it out if you haven't.

As a counterpoint, I'd hold off on ONI right now. It's fun and different as it stands, but there's remarkably little content. As a fan of the genre I'd wait until it's a little further along.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to be able to burrow into a mountain without discovering huge internal valleys that gently caress up my stronghold plans. Does anyone know of a mapgen mod that tones these down? Or perhaps there's a dev console command I've overlooked? I tried using the 21x21 rock tool, but it doesn't generate overhead mountains, which is really what I'm after.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nut to Butt posted:

I'd like to be able to burrow into a mountain without discovering huge internal valleys that gently caress up my stronghold plans. Does anyone know of a mapgen mod that tones these down? Or perhaps there's a dev console command I've overlooked? I tried using the 21x21 rock tool, but it doesn't generate overhead mountains, which is really what I'm after.

I think you can switch to developer mode and remove fog of war.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

And now that you can see the type of ceiling above your gooncave, we can be secure.

Stone walls take so long to build now :gonk:

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

I think you can switch to developer mode and remove fog of war.

Thanks. I tried a dev-mode button that sounded related to that yesterday, but it didn't seem to do anything. I'll fool around with it some more.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Man, I loving hate birthdays!

Does anything good ever happen on pawns' birthdays??

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My pawns keep getting their eyes cut out and fingers bit off by foxes because their combat sucks so badly. It's a rifle dude. Point and shoot at the fox. The guy I sent to rescue you has to hang out in the infirmary because a maddened rat bit his neck and jaw.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Public service announcement: planting grass on sand is really good for feeding grazing animals (much better than haygrass imo).

Nut to Butt posted:

Thanks. I tried a dev-mode button that sounded related to that yesterday, but it didn't seem to do anything. I'll fool around with it some more.

It's a checkbox "Draw Fog" on the dev view filter menu.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is planting grass in vanilla now?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure it is, I don't think I'm getting that from a mod. I'll check though.

e: I lied, let me figure out what added that.

e: Wild Cultivation by Rainbeau:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=922158160

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 31, 2017

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Danaru posted:

Is planting grass in vanilla now?

Just plant haygrass, unless you want a front lawn, then no.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
Of course my prosthophobe with 15 growing and 15 cooking is the one who gets both arms and legs ripped off by an arctic fox...

Meanwhile the rear end in a top hat with no skills who goes on yayo binges all the time is doing fine.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah thats pretty much life

now you need the downfall that is the second half of all drug movies. We saw the party times and sucking blow out of a hookers rear end, but what about when your wife leaves you and your children hate you and your face looks like a moonscape.

Armless and legless prosthophobe is loved by all and constantly receives visitors from the colony at her bedside.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I want it so I can poison everyone downstream by having everyone poo in the river. :shrek:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mammon Loves You posted:

Of course my prosthophobe with 15 growing and 15 cooking is the one who gets both arms and legs ripped off by an arctic fox...

Meanwhile the rear end in a top hat with no skills who goes on yayo binges all the time is doing fine.

Pro tip: You can put simple prosthetics on her just fine. She will only hate cybernetic stuff.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Pro tip: You can put simple prosthetics on her just fine. She will only hate cybernetic stuff.

There was only enough plasteel on the map for one simple prosthetic leg so I'm in a holding pattern until I can find more. Also he has scratch scars on both eyes fwiw

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cryptosleep caskets are great for keeping the injured on ice until you have the resources to patch them up.

There should always be at least a few on your map in the ancient danger zones, though I know they're a popular scrap source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Mammon Loves You posted:

There was only enough plasteel on the map for one simple prosthetic leg so I'm in a holding pattern until I can find more. Also he has scratch scars on both eyes fwiw

Luciferium, bionics and yayo should get him patched up, and stop bitching about his new body.