Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Let's not kid ourselves, two full drinks per half hour is still on pace to getting real hosed up, and it isn't an unreasonable limit. I live (and work in a bar) in a state where the bartender is not liable at all for over serving, and AFAIK there are no limits on how much a person should be served, and it leads to some pretty stark examples of how fast even a seasoned alcoholic can get drunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
You'll pry my ritual double shot n' brew from my cold, whiskey-shivering hands.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Let's not kid ourselves, two full drinks per half hour is still on pace to getting real hosed up, and it isn't an unreasonable limit. I live (and work in a bar) in a state where the bartender is not liable at all for over serving, and AFAIK there are no limits on how much a person should be served, and it leads to some pretty stark examples of how fast even a seasoned alcoholic can get drunk.

at my first bar job, eons ago, I had a co-worker (old guy, worked the morning shifts) who after his shift, without fail, would sit down at the bar, order a lovely Growers cooler (granny smith iirc) and pour a shot of gin in it. He seemed to hold it together most of the time, but occasionally would be leaving just hosed.

I didn't think much of it at the time as I was a 19yo idiot (but I repeat myself), but I definitely would have been nailed for over-serving if he'd ever gotten hurt going home.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Willie Tomg posted:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
So in those mini bottle states, a Long Island Iced Tea would just be five tiny bottles, a lemon wedge, and someone sneezing Cola in your face? That sounds adorable.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Suspect Bucket posted:

So in those mini bottle states, a Long Island Iced Tea would just be five tiny bottles, a lemon wedge, and someone sneezing Cola in your face? That sounds adorable.

Basically yeah.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I missioned one of those exactly on the turn of a golf course in Midland/Odessa, while driving the cart for my family, the chick making it growing visibly alarmed as she ran out of space in the cup for Coke.

I golfed in spirit that day, if not in fact.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Willie Tomg posted:

You'll pry my ritual double shot n' brew from my cold, bourbon-shivering hands.

(My restaurant owner drinks Maker's so it's even cheaper than our usual staff drinks, so now I drink Maker's)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The accounting position was filled for a week. Just found out.

I don't mind the "no". I've been hearing "no" my entire loving life, I don't seriously expect anything to get better ever. What hurts is that a boy with soft hands looked me in the eye and claimed with a straight face that "it was really busy and we forgot" when by any standard those of us in the stained and tattered uniforms were far, far busier and yet I still found the few minutes every other day to follow up on the position.

Aw, no, but you see it was the bosses going away party and then we had an outing. Can't tell a guy if his life is finally going to be worth living, we're too busy going fun places and getting drunk on company time.

People say "death to america" a lot these days but when it really comes from the loving heart...

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Willie Tomg posted:

I don't mind the "no". I've been hearing "no" my entire loving life, I don't seriously expect anything to get better ever. What hurts is that a boy with soft hands looked me in the eye and claimed with a straight face that "it was really busy and we forgot" when by any standard those of us in the stained and tattered uniforms were far, far busier and yet I still found the few minutes every other day to follow up on the position.

Aw, no, but you see it was the bosses going away party and then we had an outing. Can't tell a guy if his life is finally going to be worth living, we're too busy going fun places and getting drunk on company time.

People say "death to america" a lot these days but when it really comes from the loving heart...

goondolences industry thread compatriot

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

Willie Tomg posted:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
gently caress the booze. gimme that philly wrap and let me show you how is done in home country

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'll take willie's drink, dibs

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Hey Willie if you move to California I can pay you a mediocre hourly wage to work in a tiny kitchen and we can smoke mad blunts after work

Also update on my job: I'm now co-executive chef of a fast casual breakfast and lunch grab n go juice bar paleo probiotic vegan sustainable ethical... thing. In a town where there are 5 other failing outlets with similar concepts that are always empty. Also my food budget is 28 but labor is 40 and we don't have a farm :psyduck:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I hate small children

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

we all do bud

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
thank god i never have to stare into the blank face of a toddler as their parents urge them to order something

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

thank god i never have to stare into the blank face of a toddler as their parents urge them to order something

That part s cute, I mean it's annoying as hell if you have other poo poo to do at the same time, but it's still cute. The problem is parents who let them run around like they're in the playground at a suburban McDonald's, and the fact that parents of toddlers are lovely loving tippers. I never had a serious problem with kids, just their parents.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, this kid was throwing everything that came into his hand and his brother would have made a mess with the creamer and sugar if we didn't take it away.

The parents did tip 20%, but the kids were loud and annoying :ughh:

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
I escaped today with a slight mandolin "gently caress you" on my thumb for the first time ever and I would like to hear horror stories now. Go:

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

caleb posted:

I escaped today with a slight mandolin "gently caress you" on my thumb for the first time ever and I would like to hear horror stories now. Go:
Nothing too bad, but before I got fully acquainted with using one guardless, I managed to nick my thumb in a series of 3 or 4 exposed (small) patches of flesh that almost linked up to form one giant, horrifying wound.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I've lived a blessed life and avoided all but the most minor cuts/burns. Worst I can say is the arches on my feet flatten when I put weight on them so if I walk on linoleum and my feet are sweaty they'll make suction cup fart noises.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

caleb posted:

my first restaurant job the head chef was super proud he had maneuvered his way into The Most Expensive Mandoline Ever - I don't 'know what it was, but it was a big deal because it was sharp as poo poo and all stainless steel.

I had a couple jobs, all involving that loving mandoline. I think one was peeling and slicing raw yucca for our yucca potato chips, and the other was doing a matchstick of daikon for a salad.

anyways, that loving mandoline was something stupid. I literally shredded my fingers on it more times than I care to remember. I finally one day refused to do that poo poo any more, I was making like $0.00/hr, and pretty much said gently caress this. the sous gave me a rag to use as a fingerguard and showed me how to not cut the poo poo out of myself, which I appreciate today since I don't cut the gently caress out of myself anymore on mandolines, but due to a compounding shitstorm of other reasons I still quit citing the stupid mandoline and I'm pretty sure that experience has shaped my life in one way or another.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 3, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
We need to disrupt mandolines.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

We need to disrupt mandolines.

you mean like a deli slicer?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
More like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ2ucr74YNk

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Shooting Blanks posted:

you mean like a deli slicer?

I'm thinking like a deli slicer with wireless compatibility and prepackaged subscription based food for it to automatically slice when you want it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm thinking like a deli slicer with wireless compatibility and prepackaged subscription based food for it to automatically slice when you want it.

Isn't that how I steal stupid people's money on Kickstarter?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Isn't that how I steal stupid people's money on Kickstarter?

Yes

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Well not anymore, now that you've said it out loud and given the game away <:mad:>

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

caleb posted:

At home maybe four or five months ago, prepping dinner, I was shredding a quarter-head of cabbage on my mandoline. I wasn't using the guard because it was having a hard time actually getting stuck into the cabbage, so I'm just absent-mindedly running it back and forth. All of a sudden I feel a sharp pain, I look down and I see that I've sliced a 3cm piece of skin clean off my thumb.

Now, this is the part where I point out that I'm on a weapons-grade blood thinner (enoxaparin) due to a blood clotting disorder.

So almost immediately, there's blood loving everywhere -- all over the mandoline, all over the shredded cabbage, it's pouring out onto the counter and onto the floor. I grab a latex glove to put on while I go look for some superglue and almost immediately the blood overflows out of the thumb part of the glove and starts filling up the rest and within about twenty seconds the blood is flowing out of the glove and all over my arm. And now there's blood all over the rest of the kitchen and in the drawers and on the stove and in the pantry because I'm frantically scurrying around and I can't find the loving superglue. Eventually I shout for my wife, who's working on a painting down in the basement. She comes running upstairs and I can only imagine her first impression of the kitchen was:

To her credit, she thinks quickly, screams at me to hold my arm up high above my head, starts dialing our doctor's 24-hour nurse line with one hand and grabs the new-skin liquid bandage from the bathroom with the other.

They didn't wind up sending me to the ER, but I was a little lightheaded for a few hours after that. I think we wound up just getting McDonald's for dinner. And, hoo boy, I spent the entire evening scrubbing all that blood out of the kitchen. Jesus. :suicide:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I am becoming increasingly genuinely interested in the idea of an improved mandoline design for home users.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

I am becoming increasingly genuinely interested in the idea of an improved mandoline design for home users.

Talk to a mechanical engineer. The fact that one hasn't been done tells me that either nobody has really looked at it, or it isn't really possible within existing constraints.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

At this point I'm just imagining a metal-lined glove.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Discendo Vox posted:

At this point I'm just imagining a metal-lined glove.

They sell chain mail gloves for mandolin safety

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

doesn't sound like your mandolin will be very safe from the chainmail!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

curufinor posted:

They sell chain mail gloves for mandolin safety

dammit

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
A prep cook at a previous job told me once that rubbing coffee grounds in those sorts of cuts (not on blood thinners) makes them clot. Confirm/deny? I did not know it was mandoline with an e. I am an amateur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

caleb posted:

A prep cook at a previous job told me once that rubbing coffee grounds in those sorts of cuts (not on blood thinners) makes them clot. Confirm/deny? I did not know it was mandoline with an e. I am an amateur.

That's dumb as hell

• Locked thread