Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

As a business owner, let me say that if you're not paying your employees enough to live off of, you don't deserve to be in business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

HookShot posted:

As a business owner, let me say that if you're not paying your employees enough to live off of, you don't deserve to be in business.

The real victim of that story is the pregnant girl making $11/hour who the manager wants to fire the second she gets back from mat leave

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
So this person is working 70 hours a week but their profit margin is so slim that they can't afford an extra $528.00/mo. for the pregnant woman (assuming she's working full time), and presumably they're moving too little volume to spread that amount out across their sales without spooking customers. And they're not drawing a paycheck.

I don't think Wynne is their problem.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 31, 2017

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
"But it's my dreeeeeeeeeaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmm, I shouldn't have to pay people enough to pay rent and buy food because this is what I've always wanted!!!!"

Foreploy
Mar 14, 2016

the trump tutelage posted:

So this person is working 70 hours a week but their profit margin is so slim that they can't afford an extra $528.00/mo. for the pregnant woman (assuming she's working full time), and presumably they're moving too little volume to spread that amount out across their sales without spooking customers. And they're not drawing a paycheck.

I don't think Wynne is their problem.

I've noticed most of the people I speak to and advise about business ventures have really rosy outlooks. They don't think about their burn rate, business development, start-up costs, capitalizing through the first year, and they often hit like the six-month mark and they're already hand-to-mouth, which means they can't spare a minute to improve business or advertise or anything. Half of what I do is scare the poo poo out of them so they plan for at least a full year of lean times.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

HookShot posted:

That's what I'm​ writing on the tip line from now on.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Postess with the Mostest posted:

That's what I'm​ writing on the tip line from now on.

I wish there was a way to not leave tips that didn't completely gently caress over serving staff. Restaurant owners in no way deserve to have their business subsidized by tips.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing Weaver is hoping to get campaign finance reform and maybe pretty please get PR and fight the next election on a more even playing ground.

Also his position was never that strong to begin with. He had to play both sides in order not to tip his hand, but most likely either his caucus or voters would be pissed if he supported the Liberals and most likely Horgan knew this. Weaver probably wants to get what he can now while making life easier for the Green party during the next election.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/Nicki_Doyle/status/869712698577215489

Maybe Scheer was on to something

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

PT6A posted:

Has any store actually got rid of manned checkouts, though? The grocery stores I go to always have self-checkouts, but I never use them. Why the gently caress would I do someone else's job for free (and have to put up with "PUT ITEM IN BAGGING AREA!" over and over)?

I use them at the local Superstore a lot because for some reason there's never a lineup for them while there often is for the human-manned tills.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The only place i've used them is the new Canadian Tie that's just a streetcar ride west from me. As I've work on tills for years, I am pretty comfortable using them, but I see people who aren't having a lot of trouble, and there's always someone there to help them. So they're not really decreasing labour. Not to mention you still need to have staff to stock shelves, help people find things, handle customer service issues and so on.

That Imgur guy is clearly an rear end in a top hat, yes fire a pregnant woman as soon as she gets back from mat leave, yes that is what a good employer would do. I've seen a bunch of people go "oh i run my business really well, and my staff loves working for me, but I can't have the government telling me that i have to pay them more! I cannot afford that!" I really doubt these people's employees really do love working for them.

Does none of these people know that paying someone minimum wage is saying "if i could pay you less, i would". None of these people who are bitching about it realize that with more money in peoples pockets, they're going to spend it, and no just on basics, but on luxury goods. Mr Baker will have more customers because people will have more money. More money in the economy is always good. These greedy tools that can't see past the pile of money they're getting are completly blind to this.

I've been yelled at multiple times by people who have way better jobs than me how this is going to ruin everything, and that if i want to get a better job, i should get one. Of course, because its super easy to find a high paying full time job when you've worked retail exclusively in the last 15 years and only have a BA in history. Yep, good advice techbro who got hired right out of school.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
PLEASE PLACE THE ITEM IN THE BAG

PLEASE REMOVE THE ITEM AND PLACE IT ON THE SCANNER

PLEASE REMOVE ALL ITEMS FROM THE BAGGING AREA

BEEP BEEP BEEP

PLEASE WAIT FOR THE NEXT AVAILABLE ATTENDANT

It's almost easier to grow my own loving produce than to try to buy it via those loving godforsaken self checkout kiosks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm way faster doing my own scanning/bagging, sounds like you're just terrible at basic life tasks :smug:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

EvilJoven posted:

PLEASE REMOVE THE ITEM AND PLACE IT ON THE SCANNER

PLEASE REMOVE ALL ITEMS FROM THE BAGGING AREA

BEEP BEEP BEEP

PLEASE WAIT FOR THE NEXT AVAILABLE ATTENDANT

It's almost easier to grow my own loving produce than to try to buy it via those loving godforsaken self checkout kiosks.

How is being over the age of 67 and retired?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Don't you loving dare make excuses for those terrible self service checkouts at Superstore. They're crap. Full stop.

The ones at Home Depot for some reason aren't nearly as horrible.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Self service checkouts are fine, and way easier/faster when you only have a handful of items. Avoiding the dumb alarms are easy if you just listen to the instructions.

Sorry you're having difficulty following along to simple prompts with step by step picture instructions.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also while I often find self serve checkouts faster and more convenient, I also often go through the checkout line just to reduce the number of jobs cut in favour of the machines.

But only if there aren't any 90-year-olds like EvilJoven who want to count out their change in nickels in front of me.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
You're right, the instructions are simple.

It tells me to put the item in the bag.

So I put the item in the bag.

And then it tells me that I did it wrong somehow and to take it out again.

Don't blame me because a loving machine can't tell that I put the loving item in the loving bag.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

My mom can use those Superstore checkouts no problem. And her English is pretty mediocre.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

EvilJoven posted:

Don't blame me because a loving machine can't tell that I put the loving item in the loving bag.
Dad?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Are you my senile dead grandma?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Woah guys, cool it on the elder abuse.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Either there's something wrong with prairie auto checkouts or with prairie auto checkout users because those things are damnable here too. Fight skynet. Buy groceries from a human.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Stickarts posted:

there's something wrong with prairie users

Agreed

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Hey now, sometimes they gently caress up the bar codes and the weights.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Hey now, sometimes they gently caress up the bar codes and the weights.

It's much more likely that someone from Winnipeg is terrible at basic life tasks though

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
What else is an F350 for if not running over self-serve checkout machines?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's much more likely that someone from Winnipeg is terrible at basic life tasks though

Harsh but fair

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
My anecdotal contribution is both about the self checkouts.

I can use them fine. Once I tried with my mother and she had the whole EvilJoven experience. I'd probably still be in the store if I didn't have us swap places of who's scanning/bagging.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
is EvilJoven a good mother?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

JawKnee posted:

is EvilJoven a good mother?

Get him to tell some dad jokes as a test.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Here's a scorching hot (and correct) take:
1-day shipping from Amazon Prime to your door > interacting with the human being at the checkout >> lovely self-serve checkouts

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I like the local farmers markets personally

and also going to actual farms to buy stuff

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Farmers markets are the most white middle class enjoyment that I have in my Vancouver life

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

its true

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Self-serve checkouts are almost always faster than having someone else do it. Do the stores you guys go to only have like one checkout or something? The ones I go to have like 8 and there's never a line.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
I also live in Winnipeg, I've only been to the superstore by kenaston but they definitely have the worst self checkout system. It's still really simple to use though, you just have to be patient.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

EvilJoven posted:

Don't you loving dare make excuses for those terrible self service checkouts at Superstore. They're crap. Full stop.

They really are. If you're moving any faster or more deftly than a claw game, they get hopelessly confused. The Sobeys ones are pretty much the exact opposite, you just vaguely wave your stuff at them on its way to the bag and they're like "yup ok next cmon go faster".

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 31, 2017

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

heeheex2 posted:

I also live in Winnipeg, I've only been to the superstore by kenaston but they definitely have the worst self checkout system. It's still really simple to use though, you just have to be patient.

Ya that's the ones that give me grief.

flakeloaf posted:

They really are. If you're moving any faster or more deftly than a claw game, they get hopelessly confused.

That's what I'm seeing. Maybe the posters in this thread who say they're fine are just a little... slower. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

twistedmentat posted:

Does none of these people know that paying someone minimum wage is saying "if i could pay you less, i would". None of these people who are bitching about it realize that with more money in peoples pockets, they're going to spend it, and no just on basics, but on luxury goods. Mr Baker will have more customers because people will have more money. More money in the economy is always good. These greedy tools that can't see past the pile of money they're getting are completly blind to this.

This, exactly this.