Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Nightmare would have been better as a human-sized enemy that can follow you everywhere. Make it completely unfair, if it spots you then you're either dead or you have to find some way to kill it before it kills you. If you can't animate it following you through vents then make it throw stuff or create fire in vents until you leave. Have it follow you through doors, make it super hard to hide from after it finds you.

I think all it did was shoot slow blobs at you, I had over 90 exotic cubes towards the end of the game because I just farmed them.

I'm sure there are programming concerns and it's harder than it seems, but this really confused me. Arkane figured out how to make the Phantoms teleport but couldn't give that technology to their big Nemesis enemy that's supposed to follow you everywhere? They save the state for every tiny detail in the game regardless of area transition but couldn't let the Nightmare go through doors? Very weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Copper Vein posted:

It's possible that instead of sticky aim, Prey simply jukes your bullets so that they still hit in the case of a near miss. There where a lot of mimics that I exploded even though it appeared as if I had missed them with my shotgun as they jumped at me, so I often felt as if the game was making some allowance. However, I've also shot just over a Phantom's shoulder with the Q-Beam, so it's hard to tell.

I'm assuming that the console versions of Prey have a sticky crosshair and maybe an option for aim assist in the menu. Maybe someone in here has noticed?

On ps4 at least there is no aim assist and no option for it in the control settings.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

One thing I didn't get: all neuromods are made with the same amount of exotic (ie Typhon) material right? So why is it only the psychic abilities that give you Typhon DNA and make turrets/the nightmare try to kill you?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

From what I could tell (on PC), as long as an enemy was within the middle half of my screen my shots would hit, regardless of where I was pointing my gun. But only with the pistol. Nothing else seemed to auto-aim. It made the pistol the best gun and it carried me through everything.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Nightmare would have been better as a human-sized enemy that can follow you everywhere. Make it completely unfair, if it spots you then you're either dead or you have to find some way to kill it before it kills you. If you can't animate it following you through vents then make it throw stuff or create fire in vents until you leave. Have it follow you through doors, make it super hard to hide from after it finds you.

I think all it did was shoot slow blobs at you, I had over 90 exotic cubes towards the end of the game because I just farmed them.

I love this game but this was every enemy in the game. Mimics are such a cool idea but they fall flat when they end up being nothing but headcrabs that you can't see until you're close. They should have stalked me around - how much more tense would this game be if you felt like you always had to watch your back? They would shapeshift into objects right in front of my eyes and then just sit there giving me a free sneak attack one-hit-kill. Like I saw some dev bragging about how you know this game is scary because people lock doors behind them but I never did and I can think of maybe 1 or 2 times an enemy came up behind me - and it wasn't any kind of emergent behavior, it was just a phantom on a patrol route. Telepaths and Technowhatevers just kind of floated there eating your bullets and shooting slow projectiles occasionally, the Nightmare was a complete non-threat who would get stuck on level geometry and let me unload into him scott-free. I hate scary games and avoid playing them but this game never made me feel any kind of fear or anxiety about the enemies, they were about as complex as the original Doom.

Ridiculously the only things that ever made me feel apprehensive about encountering them were cysts (and it wasn't because they were a threat, it was because they were annoying to clean up after) and corrupted operators since I couldn't wrench them without taking damage but they weren't worth wasting resources on like special phantoms.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 31, 2017

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
The game was still super spooky for the first half though. After that point I'd been doing nearly every quest and conserved ammo by throwing chairs at everything with the level 3 biceps.

I spent a lot of time shooting everything with the pistol in case it was a mimic or the super mimics that don't get detected.

I think I played on the level below nightmare, should have done nightmare instead I think.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

The game was still super spooky for the first half though. After that point I'd been doing nearly every quest and conserved ammo by throwing chairs at everything with the level 3 biceps.

I spent a lot of time shooting everything with the pistol in case it was a mimic or the super mimics that don't get detected.

I think I played on the level below nightmare, should have done nightmare instead I think.

I started a game on nightmare a couple of nights ago after finishing it on hard. Nightmare is bullshit-hard. At least, I had trouble with it, exploring the neuromod area where I only have the wrench and the gloo gun. Since I've already played it and don't care, are there any ways to make it significantly easier at the start? e.g. get shotgun early somehow, or get neuromod X first?

edit: I just got to the lobby and installed my first neuromod: 'hacking 1'. Then a mimic got me despite me being fully prepared for it with about 65% health. (after about 8 beers)

redreader fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 31, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

redreader posted:

Since I've already played it and don't care, are there any ways to make it significantly easier at the start? e.g. get shotgun early somehow, or get neuromod X first?
You can get the disrupter in the simulation area in your dead drop on top of the cabinet in the room with the safe, and when you're looking down the stairs to the locked security office in the lobby there'll be a sputtering light bulb in the corner - climb along the pipes to it and there's a hatch that will let you in there for a shotgun before you even visit your office.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah, the enemy AI in this game was actually really disappointing. So much fun stuff could have been done with the mimics and other critters and it really wasn't.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

redreader posted:

I saw the nightmare behind a door, so I went an alternate route using an upper level in the same area. It never saw me. It followed me all the time though and moved from one side of the room below me to another side of the room. I changed rooms like twice and it followed me into the new room each time. The nightmare has some kind of bullshit tether to you. It always knows where you are and keeps on knowing where you are. It doesn't know how stairs work though.

It's got a tether if you have typhon mods and it's tighter the more you have, from what I understand.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I was locking doors behind me at the start of the game because I was sweating bullets and trying to quarantine rooms once I'd cleared them of pesky mimics. Stopped doing that pretty quickly though as I figured it probably wouldn't actually do anything.

Was surprised how useless the nightmare was. You really only had two options with the guy. You either dunk on him, or go make a coffee while he fucks off.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

One thing I didn't get: all neuromods are made with the same amount of exotic (ie Typhon) material right? So why is it only the psychic abilities that give you Typhon DNA and make turrets/the nightmare try to kill you?

Because Typhon mods actually rewire your brain to be Typhon-ish. And the Psychoscope is all about neural patterns.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

redreader posted:

Since I've already played it and don't care, are there any ways to make it significantly easier at the start? e.g. get shotgun early somehow, or get neuromod X first?

If you didn't know, there's a way to get the shotgun real easy once you get to the Lobby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tktiYRpL9jw

Although if you have the pre-order DLC then it's not much faster I guess.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
I think its safe to say that going around trying to collect everything in a room to throw a recycler charge at is not worth it. You get maybe enough to fabricate the recycler you just used. There also seems to be a limit on how much a single recycler charge can process. I was messing around in the recylcer charge testing room and just throwing every small object I could in there and almost filled it to the brim. And when I release the charge not everything got processed. And I set it up so the charge would fall relatively in the center of the chamber to get the full radius of the charge.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I think its safe to say that going around trying to collect everything in a room to throw a recycler charge at is not worth it. You get maybe enough to fabricate the recycler you just used. There also seems to be a limit on how much a single recycler charge can process. I was messing around in the recylcer charge testing room and just throwing every small object I could in there and almost filled it to the brim. And when I release the charge not everything got processed. And I set it up so the charge would fall relatively in the center of the chamber to get the full radius of the charge.

I think maybe items can block other items from getting recycled. Sometimes I'd pile a bunch of stuff up and it'd all get sucked in, other times half of it would still be there, especially if I'd included larger items like furniture

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Jack Trades posted:

If you didn't know, there's a way to get the shotgun real easy once you get to the Lobby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tktiYRpL9jw

Although if you have the pre-order DLC then it's not much faster I guess.

Ghostlight posted:

You can get the disrupter in the simulation area in your dead drop on top of the cabinet in the room with the safe, and when you're looking down the stairs to the locked security office in the lobby there'll be a sputtering light bulb in the corner - climb along the pipes to it and there's a hatch that will let you in there for a shotgun before you even visit your office.

This is loving crazy. I found that on my first playthrough but I don't remember going in there and thinking 'oh my god, a shotgun!'. I suppose I only discovered that later so it didn't mean anything by then.

Thanks for the disruptor stuff, I found one on the second floor of neuromods, and I remember reading some hint about 'you know which data tower', from the last game. I certainly didn't know which data tower, so thanks, I found that one too! :D

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Maybe it's because of playing Dishonored but whenever I saw a locked door I looked up and I would jump onto any ventilation ducts that showed potential so getting that shotgun didn't feel like some big deal to me. "Oh, they want me to get in there this way. Oh cool a shotgun".

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

The Lone Badger posted:

Because Typhon mods actually rewire your brain to be Typhon-ish. And the Psychoscope is all about neural patterns.
I also imagine the average person can only afford, or decides to use one or two. Not run around jamming dozens of the things into their brain as they find them.

Otherwise everyone on the station would've been unstoppable murder-machines like a roid-modded Morgan. :black101:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

One of the perks of working on the station is like one Neuromod a week or something - that said, Morgan is also the only person at the time testing gaining Typhon abilities rather than learning a musical instrument or extending lifespan.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I imagine the waning effects of them also dissuades normal people from overdoing it. Having to inject like 10 to only get a slightly more effective version of the 1 you already took, in addition to the price, probably helps regulate them.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
10 Welcome to neuro research on your first day. Please enjoy your complimentary free neuromod! Payday is next week and your IT account will be set up by tomorrow.

20 *next day*

30 Welcome to neuro research on your first day. Please enjoy your complimentary free neuromod! Payday is next week and your IT account will be set up by tomorrow.

40 goto 10

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo, if you know what you're doing this game gets a lot easier. First run on hard:

-missed all disruptors 'til mid game, maybe guts or arboretum.
-had a gloo gun and a pistol early game
-missed q-beam until very late game, only got it from hunting for it a lot.
-missed a couple of shotguns and only got one in the last part of psychotronics

2nd run, nightmare:
-all guns by the time I'm done with my first visit to hardware labs.

Not to mention all the extra neuromods I picked up, and the fact that I upgraded my suit earlier and found some recyclers I hadn't, at the start of my first game so now I have more raw materials than I did before.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
yeah for real, having the inside track on finding some of the good stuff and knowing to recycle weapons instead of dismantling them made a huge difference in my second run. also not going past certain parts of the main story before cleaning up some objectives!

on my first run I went into deep storage before unlocking neuromod license, cleaning up crew quarters and some other things - sure I could have reloaded but first run is a what's done is done kind of run for me

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CJacobs posted:

I imagine the waning effects of them also dissuades normal people from overdoing it. Having to inject like 10 to only get a slightly more effective version of the 1 you already took, in addition to the price, probably helps regulate them.

Also you have to stab yourself in the eye with huge needles. That would be a big deciding factor for me.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Also you have to stab yourself in the eye with huge needles. That would be a big deciding factor for me.
I'm willing to shoot transhumanism right into my eyeballs, and I can barely put contacts in.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Yeah sorry dude but if a guy told me he'd stab me in the eye and in exchange I'll get 25+ years of functional lifespan with a guarantee of quality I'd probably take it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I enjoy that a bunch of the text you find around the station has to do with "how the gently caress are we possibly going to market these things to the public"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd take 5 minutes of a needle in my brain for the ability to become a coffee cup.

But someone else would have to jam it in there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Motherfucker posted:

Yeah sorry dude but if a guy told me he'd stab me in the eye and in exchange I'll get 25+ years of functional lifespan with a guarantee of quality I'd probably take it.

Okay, but it costs more than a small landmass to buy one so you're never going to have one, sorry. - TranStar

BobKnob
Jul 23, 2002

Vikings are pirates only cooler. Oh yeah not a furry.
Am I the only one who has leverage problems? When it works it is amazing. It usually causes a big hunk of damage and usually knocks phantoms down, but it seems like almost have the time I see the giant crate bounce off the Typhon and cause no damage at all. I can even see the Typhon model sort of shake around with the bouncing projectile but with no damage done. Mimics hardly ever seem to take damage despite being knocked all over the place.

Mimics that are transfigured are supposed to be impossible to gloo right?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

BobKnob posted:

Am I the only one who has leverage problems? When it works it is amazing. It usually causes a big hunk of damage and usually knocks phantoms down, but it seems like almost have the time I see the giant crate bounce off the Typhon and cause no damage at all. I can even see the Typhon model sort of shake around with the bouncing projectile but with no damage done. Mimics hardly ever seem to take damage despite being knocked all over the place.

You have to be super careful that your items have plenty of room in case they get caught on some scenery and lose most of their force. The best items are usually the hardest to hit things with.The level 3 luggage was pretty good but you have to lead things to large areas.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

CJacobs posted:

I feel like that's largely a gameplay-only thing, or perhaps specially made single-purpose neuromods are more efficient than fabricator-built or multi-purpose ones.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zomborgon posted:

I feel like that's largely a gameplay-only thing, or perhaps specially made single-purpose neuromods are more efficient than fabricator-built or multi-purpose ones.

It makes sense that they'd be that way, though. The human mind is way more complex than "just add 25 years to your life expectancy". Doing it the first time is just optimizing all the necessary stuff, but further optimization is gonna require a lot more effort.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zomborgon posted:

The emails and stuff you find around seem to indicate that outside of gameplay, people are not picking off a list and then injecting enough neuromods into their face, but getting specific neuromods and inserting those. So rather than injecting 8 neuromods to learn how to hack better, they pick up a neuromod with hacking skills encoded and jam that in, probably with the help of a medical professional while strapped into a chair.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Decided to get over my crippling fear of coffee cups and actually buy this game. Only issue is that Amazon sent me a european copy, somehow. Should I get it returned or can I play the game just fine here in the US? I know I won't be able to download any DLC or anything if it ever comes out but I'm fine with that.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I assume you are talking about a console copy, in that case yes it will play fine. As you said, no you won't be able to get any future DLC.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Rinkles posted:

[*]Tracking bracelets are now sent to Recycler with “Transfer all Junk”[/list]

This is good thing to know, I assumed they had some useful function.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

They do - you can use them to look up your current location.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

You can also leave them somewhere if you want to return later, I assume. And you have a bad memory for places but not names.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

BobKnob posted:

So getting mobility 2 and leverage 3 makes using reployers to kill phantoms easy peasy. Just make sure you are a decent distance from the phantom when you throw it and let them get back up before you throw it again. Seems like the higher your leverage is, the easier it is to move around with lighter objects. Say you get Leverage 3, you can walk around with ease while holding a leverage 2 item as if it were an item that required no leverage. Mobility is just to help move around the enemy while holding your reployer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
All I ever did with leverage was bounce stuff awkwardly off walls back at myself, causing my own injury and alerting the phantom I was ambushing.