Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Yeah, Old World was roughly Europe-sized and you understood that the loss of a city is A Bad Thing. In AoS, it only matters if the city in question is Magical McGuffinwille.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JcDent posted:

Some of that goes for Chaos, as Gathering Storm makes Black Legion seem endless; it might be virtually so if it's even half the size of the new HH legions, but it still kinda bugs me.

The Black Legion is much bigger then any other Chaos Legion. They are stated to outnumber the next largest Chaos Legion the Word Bearers 10 to 1. And also stated to be the only legion that has actually grown bigger then it was in the HH days.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Black legion takes new traitors so it's no surprise they're huge.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Edit: Never mind Just putting it in the Warhammer thread is enough I think.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Cain is so good that he can duel a World Eater without too much difficulty, then disengage while his aide shoots him with a meltagun.

I mean, he was losing but that's still pretty impressive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Lone Badger posted:

I mean, he was losing but that's still pretty impressive.

I know at one point he managed to beat one on his own however. And lets not forget the time he dueled and defeated an Ork Warboss.

Despite what Cain says about himself he is quite skilled.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I know at one point he managed to beat one on his own however. And lets not forget the time he dueled and defeated an Ork Warboss.

Despite what Cain says about himself he is quite skilled.

Impostor Syndrome 40K.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Lone Badger posted:

I mean, he was alive so that's still pretty impressive.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

JBP posted:

Black legion takes new traitors so it's no surprise they're huge.

Don't they also have cloning cats from Fabius? So can churn out some easy bake marines for cannon fodder when needed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Time is also weird is the warp. Which likely lets them grow their forces quicker.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Red Corsairs are also really huge since they recruit so many renegades.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

wiegieman posted:

You'd think that was offset by their losses and being cut off from a stable gene-seed, though.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
The Red Corsairs attacked the Marines Errant fortress-monastery and stole all their gene-seed for that exact reason. Of course, the Night Lords then immediately betrayed them and stole it for themselves, but the Corsairs certainly tried.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Frankly considering the time fuckery in the warp, I wouldn't be surprised if you had armies that had the same people from different time periods fighting together at the same time.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Astral Claws vs Red Corsairs?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

wiegieman posted:

Sort through your bookmarks, think you've clicked the middle east thread, be completely willing to believe the Red Corsairs are a new group in Syria.

Part of the setting's appeal is that they built in 'slack' for your own ideas, but is there any cannon/official account of a human group that gtfo out of the galaxy, Andromeda style. I could see a group, during/immediately after the Heresy, leaving (surely something would just eat them). Or is the Machurian crusade still considered the outer bounds with it's tickling of the Halo stars?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Sort through your bookmarks, think you've clicked the middle east thread, be completely willing to believe the Red Corsairs are a new group in Syria.

Part of the setting's appeal is that they built in 'slack' for your own ideas, but is there any cannon/official account of a human group that gtfo out of the galaxy, Andromeda style. I could see a group, during/immediately after the Heresy, leaving (surely something would just eat them). Or is the Machurian crusade still considered the outer bounds with it's tickling of the Halo stars?

Apparently the Carcharodons/Space Sharks are operating as raiders beyond known space.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Rockopolis posted:

Astral Claws vs Red Corsairs?

I'm pretty sure they're the same, since the Red Corsairs are the renegade Astral Claws?

Jack B Nimble posted:

As Tias noted, the Carcharodons fit this bill to a T. Their Founding is considered unknown, though it's heavily hinted that they're actually Second Founding Raven Guard. Of course, other things that the Carcharodons are hinted at as being include Loyalist Night Lords, but either way they're more or less Heresy-era Space Marines (they initially speak in High Gothic, only resorting to Low Gothic once they realize they're dealing with... less sophisticated humans) who hosed off and prowl beyond known space, carrying out their own Crusade. They're also equipped in older, Heresy-era armor Marks (IV, V, and VI) to boot.

They will respond to any Imperial distress call that's in their general area however, much to the surprise of many a Rogue Trader or border world. Given their raider-like nature however, they expect payment in wargear and recruits.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

I'm pretty sure they're the same, since the Red Corsairs are the renegade Astral Claws?

That's what he meant with time fuckery.

LuiCypher posted:

As Tias noted, the Carcharodons fit this bill to a T. Their Founding is considered unknown, though it's heavily hinted that they're actually Second Founding Raven Guard. Of course, other things that the Carcharodons are hinted at as being include Loyalist Night Lords, but either way they're more or less Heresy-era Space Marines (they initially speak in High Gothic, only resorting to Low Gothic once they realize they're dealing with... less sophisticated humans) who hosed off and prowl beyond known space, carrying out their own Crusade. They're also equipped in older, Heresy-era armor Marks (IV, V, and VI) to boot.

They will respond to any Imperial distress call that's in their general area however, much to the surprise of many a Rogue Trader or border world. Given their raider-like nature however, they expect payment in wargear and recruits.

They might be Pale Nomads, the hyper violent Raven Guard precursors. HH does this... odd thing where the legions pre- and post-Primarch recovery are different beasts. Maybe the Salamanders don't change that much (in their willingness to die in last stands protecting civvies and whatnot), but I think Raven Guard, Iron Warriors, Space Wolves and World Eaters suffer that. Dunno more, I haven't read all of the HH black books yet.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

LuiCypher posted:

It's referring to Warp time fuckery resulting in the Astral Claws fighting their evil future selves.
Though a squad of Astral Claws Blackshields working towards utterly destroying the Red Corsairs would be pretty sweet.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Rockopolis posted:

It's referring to Warp time fuckery resulting in the Astral Claws fighting their evil future selves.
Though a squad of Astral Claws Blackshields working towards utterly destroying the Red Corsairs would be pretty sweet.

My bad, I misread.

I think Astral Claw Blackshields are a great idea that I want to use for the Deathwatch Campaign I will eventually create/run someday, The Last Crusade of the Marines Errant.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Imagine a chaos space marine watching a chaos dreadnaught and admiring the carnage without knowing that it is him in that madness inducing monstrosity from the future.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

ChaseSP posted:

Imagine a chaos space marine watching a chaos dreadnaught and admiring the carnage without knowing that it is him in that madness inducing monstrosity from the past

Fixed that to make it accurate/Warhammer for you

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

LuiCypher posted:

I went with the idea that there are hundreds of dead, empty planets just beyond known Imperial space as a result of the Carcaharodons, in one of my rogue trader campaigns.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Carebearz posted:

Fixed that to make it accurate/Warhammer for you

Once you go in you don't go out. Although I guess the chaos gods are fickle and could easily elevate someone in one of those things if they stayed sane enough to serve which would be an awesome champion.

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

ChaseSP posted:

Once you go in you don't go out. Although I guess the chaos gods are fickle and could easily elevate someone in one of those things if they stayed sane enough to serve which would be an awesome champion.

you're forgetting warp time fuckery

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm going to play with this idea a bit in a Rogue Trader game I'm running that takes place in a sector that was never brought into the imperium and was closed off from the imperium at large by black holes and warp storms right when the horus heresy started. So there are going to be human civilizations that never had ad mech, regressive laws, or a crazy space atheist stamping out all religion.

Don't want to say too much since it's a goon game and many players read this very thread, but let's just say the inevitability of religious strife is gonna be a theme.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Werix posted:

I'm going to play with this idea a bit in a Rogue Trader game I'm running that takes place in a sector that was never brought into the imperium and was closed off from the imperium at large by black holes and warp storms right when the horus heresy started. So there are going to be human civilizations that never had ad mech, regressive laws, or a crazy space atheist stamping out all religion.

Don't want to say too much since it's a goon game and many players read this very thread, but let's just say the inevitability of religious strife is gonna be a theme.

Isn't that the sector beyond the Maw/whatever in Rogue Trader anyways? Aside from the inroads made by sever RT houses, many of those worlds are pristine anyways.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

JcDent posted:

Isn't that the sector beyond the Maw/whatever in Rogue Trader anyways? Aside from the inroads made by sever RT houses, many of those worlds are pristine anyways.

I just made up my own sector for this game, the Archimedes Sector. Sector is on the very northern fringes of the Galaxy. A Unification fleet of Smurfs and Emeperor's children were sent there to pacify it. Shortly thereafter the Horus Heresy started and the entire sector got cut off from the rest of the galaxy by these warp storms/black holes/time-space anomalies. A device of unknown origin is discovered on the other end of the galaxy that connects via portal to a similar device in this sector. Ship went through portal, and portal device destroyed.

So they are stranded, without any way to go home, any support from the Imperium, and basically no Profit factor. So I'm in the process of doing world building for the game.

What does human civilization look like here, not having the dogma of the Imperium put upon it? What is religion like? The various governments? Technology development free from the dogmatic constrains of the Mechanicus?

What about the standard major races? Tau wouldn't be there, but what do the Eldar, necrons, Nids, orks, etc look like and how have they developed differently than their kin in the rest of the galaxy?

How are the forces of Chaos fairing?

Without the militant anti-xenos rhetoric of the Imperium, are there any previously unknown xenos species that have flourished, either in cooperation with, or in opposition to, humanity?

These are the things I want to explore, along with the players reactions. Do they try to convert the sector? Do they abandon Emperor worship entirely? What strife happens as they start to replace crew losses with local humans and xenos?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

If I know players at all, they're all willing to dump Emps for shiny toys at the slightest provocation.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
They'll be flying a possessed space hulk made out of wraithbone and necrodermis in no time.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

JcDent posted:

If I know players at all, they're all willing to dump Emps for shiny toys at the slightest provocation.

We are actually a fairly pious crew for the moment.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

JcDent posted:

Skellybones posted:

They'll be flying a possessed space hulk made out of wraithbone and necrodermis in no time.

This is pretty much a Rogue Trader's job. On their return the Inquisition can get a general idea of how heretical a section of space is by examining the Trader's ride . (And more detailed information by tracking down the cargo they sold)

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

chin up everything sucks posted:

We are actually a fairly pious crew for the moment.

You're kidding right. The very, very first thing said after the description of our situation was "Can we loot the damaged portal pieces?"

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

This is pretty much a Rogue Trader's job. On their return the Inquisition can get a general idea of how heretical a section of space is by examining the Trader's ride . (And more detailed information by tracking down the cargo they sold)

Rogue Traders are like canaries that you have to vivisect once you catch one.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
We all know which wins out in the piety vs. profit debate.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, I'd be suprised if they aren't kickflipping discs of Tzeentch down the turbines of stolen heretek reactors within the year.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
In DH 2E, how viable is a character who more or less smashes everything into submission via Devastating Assault? I'm making a Ministorum Hierophant who is essentially meant to be a warrior-priest, wielding a big hammer and being pretty chummy/inspiring when he's not crushing heretics into a thin paste, but I have next to no experience with the system and don't know how much emphasis ought to be placed on defence.

The character has none of the aptitudes needed for Dodge/Parry (All-Out Attack won't let him use them anyway) and his 3k XP budget is more or less accounted for, so he'd need to either count on armour/Toughness to soak up damage, or perhaps drop Devastating Assault and go for a more measured approach, I suppose? Measured is boring, especially in a setting where ridiculously oversized weapons are par for the course, but I don't want to come up with a character who's a liability or ineffective either.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
You should at least get the basic advance for one of them. I'd recommend picking either Toughness/Parry or Agility/Dodge. Toughness has the advantage of giving soak without any test and you should have high WS as a melee character anyway, although Parry can't be used against ranged attacks. Dodge can be used for both ranged and melee attacks, and high Agility will let you get into melee sooner, but it means you don't have the added soak of high Toughness, and it sounds like it'd be the more expensive path for your character. In either case, if you're one advance away from increasing either your Ag or T bonus, you should really consider doing so.

If you can get good armour and possibly a force field then great, but don't rely on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

If you're going to be focusing on single-strike attacks, pick up Inescapable Attack. It's quite invaluable to be able to no-sell (or at least curtail) a really evasive opponent and more reliably hit.