Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's something I've always been amused by, is how often Doom was demonized by conservative and religious groups (back when the edgiest thing seemed to be Bart Simpson telling people to eat his shorts) despite the fact that the entire game focuses on a redblooded U.S. Marine waging a one-man-war on the perceived forces of Hell.

I remember Doom being banned from our middle school's computers, but Wolfenstein was allowed because killing Nazi's was "historical".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I know we are staying into book chat, but is there a book series based on games that doesn't go batshit insane?

I distinctly remember the Halo tie-in novel "Fall of Reach" being a very enjoyable, if cliche book. Last I checked in on the series, they were explaining how ancient space-faring Humans had ancient space-dogs that got infected and became The Flood or some poo poo.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Copper Vein posted:

I'm sorry, but what I am piecing together from all these Doom book posts is that the protagonist of the Doom books is not Doomguy.

If that's true... what the gently caress?

some author/s just used the licensing deal to get their insanely lovely sci-fi written about their characters fly and arlene published. the first book is the most loyal to the games, which is to say barely beyond like, describing some levels at points. but then the rest just go on to some next level bullshit. I didn't read a lot of the rest but I know later on they introduce a second alien race (i learned this part from a friend who suffered through them all) who are called newbies and they evolve super fast. they defeat the newbies by uuuh somehow taking ones soul and moving it into a computer. the computer is so fast that the entire race evolves out of existence.

also at one point the newbies evolve to be microscopic and infect a bunch of people.

there's a unique subgenre of lovely sci-fi where it's all a space opera veneer on whatever insanely retarded ideas the writer wants to expound on, and as all the writers of these things are from like, buttfuck montana or utah, its usually dumb religion and survivalism.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".
I finally got around to putting the PS1 version of Quake 2 on my RetroPi setup at home and with some minor tweaks it's incredibly playable. God I missed this soundtrack.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I distinctly remember the Halo tie-in novel "Fall of Reach" being a very enjoyable, if cliche book. Last I checked in on the series, they were explaining how ancient space-faring Humans had ancient space-dogs that got infected and became The Flood or some poo poo.

There have been a lot of writers of Halo books, I just googled them and there are a shitload more than when I stopped paying attention. The three of them written by Eric Nylund (Fall of Reach, First Strike, and Ghosts of Onyx) are pretty good milsf; since they aren't meant to be the story of literally what you do in the game he has a lot of freedom to come up with space combat and large-scale war scenarios. Later on, they started spinning out of control.

Fall of Reach has almost nothing in common with Halo Reach the game even though they supposedly describe the same part of the universe. Bungie wisely decided that making the best game they could was more important than keeping the canon consistent. 343 Industries did not learn this lesson and Halo 4 is a hard turn into crazytown if you haven't been keeping up.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
so like, I need to be sure on this cuz me and a friend have been talking about this for awhile now and have some plans in mind, but with the GZDoom GPL ordeal, that does infact give you the ability to make a full game on doom engine, and sell it, right? Because I've been dead set on trying to do this ever since that other devkit thing was kicking around.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Diabetes Forecast posted:

so like, I need to be sure on this cuz me and a friend have been talking about this for awhile now and have some plans in mind, but with the GZDoom GPL ordeal, that does infact give you the ability to make a full game on doom engine, and sell it, right? Because I've been dead set on trying to do this ever since that other devkit thing was kicking around.
I'm pretty sure that is the case, yeah.

Maybe ask Graf to be absolutely 100% sure (or read up on the GPL yourself I guess), but it should be okey-dokey now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vakal posted:

I remember Doom being banned from our middle school's computers, but Wolfenstein was allowed because killing Nazi's was "historical".

My parents didn't let me play doom (played it at a friend's house though lol) but they let me play heretic and dark forces :shrug:

Dark forces I kinda get but heretic lol

But all that mattered was "Not Doom!" because that's all they knew.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My mom would never let my dad load up Redneck Rampage in XTree Gold for me I had to learn that goofiness myself

But when I did! Ahahaha

Blood too but she didn't care since the worst cuss is Sonofabitch

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I know we are staying into book chat, but is there a book series based on games that doesn't go batshit insane?

i really enjoyed the cryptum trilogy of halo books, but they were also written by a hugo and nebula award winning author unlike 99% of game tie-in bullshit written by guns for hire. i read some of the other halo stuff in a barnes and noble one day and was embarrassed by them.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

also the Crysis 2 novelisation was written by Peter Watts, who wrote Blindsight among a bunch of other things (it's actually pretty good)

But to bring this back to early FPS, I have one of the original Shadow Warrior's books called 'You only die twice' I think I've spoken about it here before but man that poo poo got ridiculous really quick. The book culminated in the bad guy trying to move all the continents together to reform Pangaea.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm pretty sure that is the case, yeah.

Maybe ask Graf to be absolutely 100% sure (or read up on the GPL yourself I guess), but it should be okey-dokey now.

Indeed you can, GPL requires the source be allowed to be used in commercial use (GPLv3 doesn't allow Tivoization, however).
It's worth noting for eager indie developers that GPL means you can't use Steamworks, XDK or other such closed platforms (not without things becoming a legal can of worms very quickly, anyway).

You can kind of get away with Steamworks as long as you treat it more like an operating system than an API (like Strife:VE did, permitted by the author as well) but again, lawyers are recommended.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 31, 2017

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Rocket Pan posted:

Indeed you can, GPL requires the source be allowed to be used in commercial use (GPLv3 doesn't allow Tivoization, however).
It's worth noting for eager indie developers that GPL means you can't use Steamworks, XDK or other such closed platforms (not without things becoming a legal can of worms very quickly, anyway).

You can kind of get away with Steamworks as long as you treat it more like an operating system than an API (like Strife:VE did, permitted by the author as well) but again, lawyers are recommended.

So, wait, no sale on Steam then? I forget what exactly 'steamworks' means

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Diabetes Forecast posted:

So, wait, no sale on Steam then? I forget what exactly 'steamworks' means

It's all the fancy Steam integration features like achievements, matchmaking, microtransactions, DLC, etc.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
oh I don't really care then. that's something you may as well just have in the game itself if you really care about it. (aside from the DLC/microtransactions, gently caress that noise)

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Jblade posted:

But to bring this back to early FPS, I have one of the original Shadow Warrior's books-

Please tell me this is still out there somewhere. I would totally want to own this and the Duke comics.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
GZDoom 3.1 is out.

This version makes Fluidsynth the default for MUS and MIDI playback, adds support for the additional content snuck into Strife Veteran Edition, and has the usual array of bug fixes and scriptifications.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

There is a fascinating discussion on waypoint regarding the devleopment of the Halo series, and the evolution of Bungie itself. I figured this thread would find it very interesting as a lot of what they talk about is relevant to the evolution of first person shooters / studios of the late 90s/early 2000s.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/the-complete-untold-history-of-halo-an-oral-history

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
It's a long read but a good 'un. The simple take is "oooh everyone can be honest now", but it's probably a bit more nuanced than that -- folks with different perspectives and egos putting various spins on things. In any case it's much more unrestricted talk than you would have gotten while they were at Bungie (although maybe some of them are still Bungie-ites? can't remember).

No contributions from Jason Jones, which is a shame but not surprising.

As someone who was vaguely aware of Bungie in the Marathon days, then a superfan of Myth and Myth 2, and a Halo (1) lover : I was glued to this article up until around the discussion of the Halo 3 era and then the Microsoft divorce. Post-Bungie Halo stuff not as interesting but still a good read. A+ thumbs up.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 31, 2017

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Man, I just started using Timidity and Airfont 380 on that thing. I hope Fluidsynth got more stable.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
AFAIK none of those interviewed are still at Bungie. Staten works for Microsoft so might have something to do with Halo still (though to my knowledge he isn't involved with 343i at all), but Griesemer, Lehto, and Bertone left years ago and Marty's breakup with Bungie is well known. I notice Marty isn't shy of complaining about the series either.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

GZDoom 3.1 is out.

This version makes Fluidsynth the default for MUS and MIDI playback, adds support for the additional content snuck into Strife Veteran Edition, and has the usual array of bug fixes and scriptifications.

Wait, so you can just load up the SVE.wad without needing the SVE-support.pk3 that someone made now?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

catlord posted:

Wait, so you can just load up the SVE.wad without needing the SVE-support.pk3 that someone made now?
Yes, it'll even be auto-detected if it's installed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's not fully supported though. I tried grabbing the chalice and going to the governor didn't trigger the fade to black + warp to interrogation room that was added to SVE.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Strife:Veteran Edition's own source port is the only correct way to play S:VE. :colbert:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

Strife:Veteran Edition's own source port is the only correct way to play S:VE. :colbert:

It would be perfect if it didn't stutter all the time for me. It's consistent at least, so it's not too distracting with extended play, but it's not fluid at 60hz locked like gzDoom is.

Posted about it a load on the forums but seems it's never getting fixed :(

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Convex posted:

It would be perfect if it didn't stutter all the time for me. It's consistent at least, so it's not too distracting with extended play, but it's not fluid at 60hz locked like gzDoom is.

Posted about it a load on the forums but seems it's never getting fixed :(

Probably an SDL1 related issue (either that or AMDs ongoing hate-on for all things OpenGL). Quasar wants to update that once SDL2 becomes the main branch for Chocolate Doom.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rocket Pan posted:

Probably an SDL1 related issue (either that or AMDs ongoing hate-on for all things OpenGL). Quasar wants to update that once SDL2 becomes the main branch for Chocolate Doom.

I'm on Nvidia so must be the SDL issue. The port was great (finished it with all 3 endings at least, and even got the DM achievement) just not smooth, and I'd love it if it was updated again at some point to fix that. One of my favourite FPS games ever to be honest, I know it was technologically dated at release but for its time it was ridiculously ambitious.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Anyone know what the included patchset is from? It sounds pretty good, especially for being 3 MB.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
What's the best way of playing Doom on phones? Android, specifically. Free or paid.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

Yes, it'll even be auto-detected if it's installed.

Neat!

I finished the Roch series of maps for Duke3D, I liked a lot of the early stuff, though I wasn't really digging Roch Secret, 7 and 8. One thing I found odd was the number of sentry drones that popped up. Moving onto the Red series now.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Which Early FPS protag vapes

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ETPC posted:

The guy from TekWar

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Uncle Kitchener posted:

What's the best way of playing Doom on phones? Android, specifically. Free or paid.

D-Touch

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

ETPC posted:

Kyle Katarn absolutely vapes.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Blake Stone definitely rips fat cotton.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Meat Beat Agent posted:

Kyle Katarn absolutely vapes.

I figured Katarn more as the type that wouldn't get those young whipper-snapper vapers and flick his cigarette butts at them in disgust.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ETPC posted:

Prisoner 849.

Disregard the fact that she's smoking a stogie in this beautiful rendition.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 1, 2017

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
BJ Blazkowicz is definitely a Christian Dad Who Vapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Prisoner 849.

Disregard the fact that she's smoking a stogie in this beautiful rendition.

That's quite the camel hoof she's got there :stare: