Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I hate my life and also the weekend:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Rorac posted:

Yep! Also works on the other campaigns too!

Holy poo poo I wish I had known this yesterday, I spent the whole day trying to get the last star for Stage 6 when the only tasks I had left were Destroyer Torpedo damage and secondary gun hits.

For some reason as soon as I got in my fat American Battleship to try to get some secondary hits my team would get good and kill the entire other team before I could get in range.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Krataar posted:

I played back in beta for awhile. Finally playing again. I'm looking for brawling BB's and trying to figure out what cruiser lines I like. I used to roll the Omaha and take on everything I could. I guess I'm looking for a line that lets me run and gun and survive on serpentine and artillery.

Find someone with a referral link to get free bonuses / rewards:

Check out the rewards, you can get a free Premium Tier2 / Texas if you play long enough. Thats my link. :3:

All ships come with a free Port slot and a Commander with three Skills.

USS Texas comes with these additional rewards:
3,000,000 Credits
80,000 Free XP
25 of every type of Signal Flag

In order to receive rewards like Signal Flags, you'll need to be Service Record level 8. To receive Free XP, then you must be Service Record level 5.

Lobsterboy fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 30, 2017

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I hate these loving Bismark missions. Had a Saipan player on my team who bought one just for the campaign. He went AS and managed to lose most of his planes to a loving 1/1/1 Ranger.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I still have my account, and I'm working on rapidly losing my winrate.

Any writeups on when to retrain vs get a new captain?

Edit: I should be Krataar in game. I can go up to tier 8

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Retraining as in moving a captain to a new boat or as in redistributing a captain's points?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I just watched a Minotaur get 8 kills.

It was beautiful.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
Apparently weekend crew continues.

I just watched two derpitz sail past my Lo Yang and past an island then, between the two of them, take almost every torp from an enemy Lo Yang.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So, people with more experience: What's the scuttlebutt on French cruisers? Are they as poo poo as they seemed like? I'm up to the Duguay-Trouin and the only real complaint I have is the fire rate. What's the line like from here on out?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Nordick posted:

So, people with more experience: What's the scuttlebutt on French cruisers? Are they as poo poo as they seemed like? I'm up to the Duguay-Trouin and the only real complaint I have is the fire rate. What's the line like from here on out?

Go fast, set fires, try not to get close or you'll die like a British cruiser. Very passive long range playstyle so they can't carry like some ships can, but they rack up damage.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What about the Russians? I'm like 2 weeks and change into the game and breaking into t4 on everything else but t2 in russian ships because I have no clue what's strong or weak with them

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

What about the Russians? I'm like 2 weeks and change into the game and breaking into t4 on everything else but t2 in russian ships because I have no clue what's strong or weak with them

Russian Cruisers suck pretty hard for a while. The T4 boat is especially painful.

At T5 you have the Kirov, and it pretty much sets the tone for a while. Big, turns like a brick weighted with other bricks, armor made of wishes and fairy farts BUT, its guns are decent with decent placement, and they're good at setting fires. It punishes mistakes...but also makes you better at cruisers. At least it worked that way for me.

T6 and T7, you're basically a fiery angel of death. You have strong torps, but you'll very, very rarely be in range to use them.

I can't say past that, as I'm still at T7.

Russian DDs are basically super fast Cruisers with no citadel. You go fast and set the world on fire. You'll rarely use torps past T3 until T8.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Blindeye posted:

Go fast, set fires, try not to get close or you'll die like a British cruiser. Very passive long range playstyle so they can't carry like some ships can, but they rack up damage.
I wasn't really asking how to play them as much as if they're any good at how they play, but cheers.

EDIT: Not trying to be snippy, just clarifying.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Nordick posted:

I wasn't really asking how to play them as much as if they're any good at how they play, but cheers.

EDIT: Not trying to be snippy, just clarifying.

How they play is kind of how they are. Good damage, but all from long range, and they can't carry. Some people might like that and some might hate it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
There's a difference between "The properties of these ships make them especially good at <playstyle>" and "These ships are a bit poo poo but you can sorta make them work by <playstyle>". :v:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 31, 2017

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
Seriously, gently caress all these people are terrible I can't win worth poo poo today.

My night is cursed. Dodging 3 waves of torp bombers, get citadel'd by an Emile almost to 0 in a Murmansk. I think I've won one of 10 games tonight (now 2 out of 20... in a Podvoisky of all things :psyduck:)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 31, 2017

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Nordick posted:

There's a difference between "The properties of these ships make them especially good at <playstyle>" and "These ships are a bit poo poo but you can sorta make them work by <playstyle>". :v:

fwiw I haven't seen a lot of French cruisers in high tiers. It could be because it takes a while to get there or it could be because people abandoned the grind due to how bad they were. For the most part though when I shoot them, it seems they have magical armor thats overpen or citadel and nothing else. Makes them extremely annoying to shoot at.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I wouldn't say the French Cruisers are poo poo they just tend to lack impact.

They're good consistent damage but your rarely in a position to spike and kill someone in a couple of Salvo's.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

:staredog:

I know German cruiser AP is powerful, but I was not expecting to see 19k damage from one salvo.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'll see you that and raise you a 23k salvo from a Baltimore. US AP is magic.
(Yea, that was a unicorn shot but still)

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
I one-shotted full health Pensa in my Myoko once.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I died in my Des Moines to a Hindenburg the other night, 100% to 0% in one salvo. The guy claimed in chat he got 12 citadels. It was possible as he got me full broadside from about 4km.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gwaihir posted:

I'll see you that and raise you a 23k salvo from a Baltimore. US AP is magic.
(Yea, that was a unicorn shot but still)
I still win because I was in a Nürnberg which only has 152 mm guns. :smug:

But yeah that was seriously one hell of a fluke.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Devorum posted:

Russian Cruisers suck pretty hard for a while. The T4 boat is especially painful.

T3 Bogatyr is great fun, once fully upgraded. Get the smaller guns and AFT works with them. DE and set the world on fire. It's one of my go-to ships for sealc^h^h^h^h^h low-stress play.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nordick posted:

From tier 6 to 8, which is where you'll spend most of your time in the tree, you've got three very similar, identically armed (bar the t6 with only 9 of the same 12 guns) ships that are fast in a straight line, but have the worst agility in class; are enormous, and also have less armour than some destroyers; have the most accurate guns (sigma and shell speed) and I think longest range guns, but have the worst AP shell penetration in class and HE shells that are inferior at starting fires to the IJN ships (especially at t8); have fast and damaging torpedoes, but they are point blank weapons only.

They fit a very narrow, rigid, max range HE spammer gameplay style, at which they are ok, but are utterly incapable of contributing if forced out of that style. Chapayev in particular desperately needs a buff, as removing stealth firing has stripped it of the only effective gimmick it had, and it's now the least capable T8 cruiser in a T10 battle - putting it bottom of a group already the least effective in T10 as a whole.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 31, 2017

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Isn't IFHE a serious chappy buff?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Krogort posted:

Isn't IFHE a serious chappy buff?

It's a useless skill for a Moskva though, which makes the captain for it as useful outside the ship as a Belfast captain. Still doesn't solve the major problem though, which is survivability - it has none.

None of the T8 cruisers are particularly great in a T10 battle, but Hipper gets armour, New Orleans can dance, and both get really good AP; Mogami is a bit of armour and a bit of dance, but with 15 6" guns shooting HE massively outstrips everything else for damage potential; Edinburgh is fast, agile, and gets smoke and repair; no idea about Charles Martel yet admittedly.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 31, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

NTRabbit posted:

From tier 6 to 8, which is where you'll spend most of your time in the tree, you've got three very similar, identically armed (bar the t6 with only 9 of the same 12 guns) ships that are fast in a straight line, but have the worst agility in class; are enormous, and also have less armour than some destroyers; have the most accurate guns (sigma and shell speed) and I think longest range guns, but have the worst AP shell penetration in class and HE shells that are inferior at starting fires to the IJN ships (especially at t8); have fast and damaging torpedoes, but they are point blank weapons only.

They fit a very narrow, rigid, max range HE spammer gameplay style, at which they are ok, but are utterly incapable of contributing if forced out of that style. Chapayev in particular desperately needs a buff, as removing stealth firing has stripped it of the only effective gimmick it had, and it's now the least capable T8 cruiser in a T10 battle - putting it bottom of a group already the least effective in T10 as a whole.
That's exactly the kind of answer I was originally looking for. Too bad I asked about French cruisers, not Soviet. I guess I'll have to look this stuff up myself.

Not sure why I'm even bothering with other cruiser lines than the RN at the moment, really. The acceleration and repair party have completely spoiled me.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm still on Emile Bertin, so I can't help you with the rest of the line sorry, but I have liked both it and Duguay so far; there is a goon with a HIV, but not sure if he ground it out or skipped to it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I don't mind the Chapayev at all. I prefer it to the Mogami, in fact. The concealment is sorta bad but your radar range is like a full kilometer longer than your detection range. The guns are great, and it's not like you actually use all the guns on the Mogami all the time either because the firing angles are so awful.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Nordick posted:

That's exactly the kind of answer I was originally looking for. Too bad I asked about French cruisers, not Soviet. I guess I'll have to look this stuff up myself.

Not sure why I'm even bothering with other cruiser lines than the RN at the moment, really. The acceleration and repair party have completely spoiled me.

Flamu has a good bunch of videos on various baguette cruisers.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Clarence posted:

T3 Bogatyr is great fun, once fully upgraded. Get the smaller guns and AFT works with them. DE and set the world on fire. It's one of my go-to ships for sealc^h^h^h^h^h low-stress play.

Do you post from a terminal session? considering it looks like you tried to backspace in a terminal window :P

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I would rate the T8 (non-premium and having not played French) Cruisers thusly:

Edinburgh > New Orleans = Mogami > Chapayev > Hipper

My experience of the Mogami was from 18 months ago (when AFT and BFT benefitted it, and it could stealth fire but there was no IFHE) but I think the 155mm spec is roughly as good now as it was then. I also played Chappy when stealth firing was a thing, but again I think the IFHE buff off sets that since a radar cruiser needs to be close to caps IMO and apart from setting fires, the pre-IFHE 152mm guns on those Russian Cruisers were loving useless at actually damaging things.

Hipper might be better when the German CA HE buff arrives but I never liked it. The New Orleans I liked a lot due to low concealment, radar, agility, and USN AP.

The Atago/Takao and Kutosov are better than all of them.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

kaesarsosei posted:

I would rate the T8 (non-premium and having not played French) Cruisers thusly:

Edinburgh > New Orleans = Mogami > Chapayev > Hipper

My experience of the Mogami was from 18 months ago (when AFT and BFT benefitted it, and it could stealth fire but there was no IFHE) but I think the 155mm spec is roughly as good now as it was then. I also played Chappy when stealth firing was a thing, but again I think the IFHE buff off sets that since a radar cruiser needs to be close to caps IMO and apart from setting fires, the pre-IFHE 152mm guns on those Russian Cruisers were loving useless at actually damaging things.

Hipper might be better when the German CA HE buff arrives but I never liked it. The New Orleans I liked a lot due to low concealment, radar, agility, and USN AP.

The Atago/Takao and Kutosov are better than all of them.

Kutuzov > Atago > Takao > Edinburgh > Mogami > Chapayev > New Orleans > Hipper (dunno where Charles Martel is but it's apparently a very good ship, but havent played it)

Kutuzov is OP, epitomy of russian bias. Atago is incredibly strong with good armor for a cruiser and a heal, Takao is the same but has no camo thus has slightly worse concealment and incoming dispersion. Edinburgh is brilliant. Mogami had a turret traverse buff, and can now use the C-hull now that stealth firing has been removed. IFHE with 15x155 is insane. Chapayev suffered from the loss of stealth fire, and its railguns dont allow it to shoot over islands that well. 152 IFHE is quite nasty, and the radar is great. New Orleans, despite the concealment buff and reload buff is still pretty anemic. The DPM is still pretty poor with its 13 second reload. USN AP is fantastic, but the whole package at its tier is just eh. Hipper is currently still poo poo, but who knows how that HE buff will work out for it.

Iceshade fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 31, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

(Atago) > Takao > Mogami > New Orleans = Hipper > Chapayev

Excluding everything I haven't driven except Atago because I have Takao and it's the same bar the camo. Loving Fiji like I do, I expect I'll be sticking Edinburgh up with Mogami soon enough.

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Nordick posted:

Their armor is equivalent to a wet croissant.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nordick posted:

The La Galissonnière definitely feels like a downgrade from the Emile but it's still good, the gun arcs are good and they turn fast, nice and accurate as far as I can tell. You'll definitely spend most of your time sailing away from people but the damage output is consistent.

The torps on the La Galissonnière are the most disappointing thing because you only get 2 of them per salvo, 3 per salvo would have been ideal.

My Average damage in the Emile was 40K, making it by far my most effective T5 cruiser.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 31, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Man with all this cruiser talk I went to actually look at my stats because it's been a long while and I've been playing lots of cruisers since I last looked.

My average Kutuzov damage is 30k higher than the next highest, Atago lolololol. Kutuzov is a very balanced ship.

E: to be clear I'm nothing super good in cruisers because I have a real hard time refusing the siren song of the Yolo, it's just silly how easy it is to rack up massive scores in Kutuzov vs anything else. It literally does have it all.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 31, 2017

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Every so often I have these lovely streak nights and last night was one of those. I was the pubbie. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Tier 10 games are so dull for cruisers. Either 5 bb and 5 dd a side or 8 bb a side so you can't do poo poo as a cruiser. Get close? Get spotted and see 5 bb firing instantly at you :argh: