Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's all so good. He's a completely idiosyncratic weirdo and easily one of my favorite people on this dead, gay forums.

I see him as like a holden caulfield with chronic diarrhea. But like in the best possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Don't forget the people who pick you up and carry you into the nightclubs in Roppongi.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Grand Fromage posted:

In Tokyo all the mainlanders are in Akihabara and Ginza so if you avoid those two you're safe.

They like the big shopping districts, then. That leaves some of the best places in Tokyo free.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wizchine posted:

They like the big shopping districts, then. That leaves some of the best places in Tokyo free.

You go to Little Japan to buy 30 rice cookers since the filthy inferior Japanese build things that don't break immediately. Then you load up on 50 kilos of ginseng and try to bring it as a carry-on in an enormous cardboard box.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Don't forget the people who pick you up and carry you into the nightclubs in Roppongi.

lets see them try and lift some fat goon rear end

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Eh, Tokyo isn't a non-stop gropefest.

I never got grabbed on public transportation in Korea, but my city didn't have a subway and you definitely needed both hands to brace yourself when riding the local buses.

Anyways, everyone should visit Japan. There are a lot of issues, like anywhere, and I'm happy I don't live there anymore (Tokyo rush hour kill yourselffffff) but it's definitely worth a visit.

Visit Korea if you want; there's nothing in Korea I'd consider a must-see-at-least-once-in-your-life except maybe the DMZ tour, and then only because I'm interested in North Korea- I don't know if it would be as interesting to everyone, especially if the US army guide you get stuck with is a grumpy rear end in a top hat.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Anyways, everyone should visit Japan. There are a lot of issues, like anywhere, and I'm happy I don't live there anymore (Tokyo rush hour kill yourselffffff) but it's definitely worth a visit.

What didn't you like about living in Japan?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVhbRtnjT0E

This was posted in the first China thread I think, everybody please make sure to marvel at the one nong dude who actually enjoys the visit to the louvre :china:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I just don't want to fly all the way to Asia so my excuse was, "I heard that getting groped is a thing over there."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

big time bisexual posted:

What didn't you like about living in Japan?

The commuting (sometimes I'd have to leave my apartment at 6:30 AM to make it to work by 10:30, and I was just going from Nerima to Jiyugaoka), the work culture (maybe I DON'T want to stay out until last train drinking with these creepy businessmen!), the fact that my boss would make all the blond female teachers casually walk around the lobby "straightening up" every time a potential new male student came in for a sales pitch, being yelled at to change my hair color because parents didn't like it, being yelled at in general because parents didn't like X stupid thing (to the point where I was considering buying and wearing a burqua every day), getting a nasty note on my door every time someone didn't throw out their garbage properly because it must be the foreigner's fault, going to the hospital with a kidney infection and being told I don't eat enough Japanese food and therefore have "stomach problems" (was later hospitalized for a week after passing out at work and was very ill for a long time), dodging kancho, dodging train gropers, trying to speak Japanese and being laughed at for very minor mistakes, having my new apartment contract canceled at the last minute because the landlord decided they weren't comfortable renting to a foreigner and being homeless for almost a week as a result, and I loving hate katsuobushi.

Not all of these things are unique to Japan, and I won't even say they're typical- just my experiences and opinions.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Eh, Tokyo isn't a non-stop gropefest.

I never got grabbed on public transportation in Korea, but my city didn't have a subway and you definitely needed both hands to brace yourself when riding the local buses.

Visit Korea if you want; there's nothing in Korea I'd consider a must-see-at-least-once-in-your-life except maybe the DMZ tour, and then only because I'm interested in North Korea- I don't know if it would be as interesting to everyone, especially if the US army guide you get stuck with is a grumpy rear end in a top hat.

I was fortunate enough to visit Japan 11 years ago - one week through business school, and the following week with my wife, and I really want to go back - even if we just visit Tokyo and Kyoto again, and don't branch out. It's definitely worth at least one trip. Hotels were fairly pricey but food prices were on par with the US (at least back then) due to deflation.

One of the highlights is how safe I felt there. Can you imagine leaving vending machines out on public sidewalks in the US - both hot and cold beverage machines - and they don't get vandalized, graffitied, or stolen? It's magical.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Quebec posted:

I just don't want to fly all the way to Asia

Just say that in the first place!

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Baronjutter posted:

I've got this before, we get a lot of Chinese tourists but they are absolutely on rails, they all want the exact same experience and to check things off their box. They never seem to be personally having fun or exploring, they just want to be plopped in a bus, have the correct official pictures taken at the correct official locations and then go eat at one of the pretty much chinese-tourist-only restaurants then go home. Every now and then you meet one that's not doing a fully guided tour and all they ask about is what is "famous". "We want to get drinks, what is the most famous place to get drinks here?" "What is the most famous chinese restaurant?" "what is the most famous beach?" Never do I see them just enjoying them selves or relaxing, it's just move to location, official photos, next location. Their enjoyment seems 100% based on some imaginary points their vacation photos will earn them back home. I once lied to some tourists who some how rolled up at my favourite beach (in huge hats at 0 exposed skin and big black rain umbrellas of course) and I offered to take pictures. It's a beautiful beach but it's not one of the "famous" beaches in the tourist brochures, and they asked "Is this Victoria famous beach?" and I told them it was the most famous beach on the island, known for its special fine sand and very good swimming water. They noticed it wasn't very crowded, a bad sign, but I assured them it was the best and most famous beach. They seemed quite happy. It was a lie, but it made them happy and I'm sure when they got home they then told people it was the most famous beach and earned vacation-photo face points. It's not like anyone would know, but they'd lose face admitting they don't know, so everyone wins.

Yeah I think in this thread or the previous one I complained about my Scotland trip. At Edinburgh castle there were constant streams of chinese tourists running through the museum section taking photos of very specific exhibits (ignoring the signs about flash photography) and not looking at any of the other exhibits. It's the same thing with we've talked about with luxury brands - expensive clothes only matter if it's a brand that other chinese people can recognize as luxurious. it doesnt matter how expensive it looks, it just needs a label somewhere with a name chinese people have heard of

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVhbRtnjT0E

This was posted in the first China thread I think, everybody please make sure to marvel at the one nong dude who actually enjoys the visit to the louvre :china:

This is infuriating but I love the brief moment mr summer actually was taking in the art rather than running up his photo high score.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

LentThem posted:

Yeah I think in this thread or the previous one I complained about my Scotland trip. At Edinburgh castle there were constant streams of chinese tourists running through the museum section taking photos of very specific exhibits (ignoring the signs about flash photography) and not looking at any of the other exhibits. It's the same thing with we've talked about with luxury brands - expensive clothes only matter if it's a brand that other chinese people can recognize as luxurious. it doesnt matter how expensive it looks, it just needs a label somewhere with a name chinese people have heard of

I've made a point that when I could afford it, I'd get my fiancee jewelry from Tiffany. It's good stuff, beautiful silver with a ton of prestige value for bourgeois nonsense in the West. In China, though, it's worthless because it's not gold. Not even fake plated or coppered gold. Good silver = bad, because not gold. Her family even got upset on this point a few times. Michael Kors bag? Bad. It's not Louis Vuitton. Never mind they think it's actually called LV, and don't know poo poo about quality. She's the best, but her family can be astoundingly crass at times.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Jose posted:

here's someone born in hong kong who fought during WW2 with a sword. he also killed someone with a long bow during the war

Weren't there a couple Gurkhas that beheaded people in action in WWII?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

caberham posted:

I did.

Glenn Quebec posted:

No poo poo motherfucker. I just don't want to fly all the way to Asia because my wife saw a documentary on cherry blossoms or something. The threat of Asians molesting her was a strong deterring factor.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

You go to Little Japan to buy 30 rice cookers since the filthy inferior Japanese build things that don't break immediately. Then you load up on 50 kilos of ginseng and try to bring it as a carry-on in an enormous cardboard box.

I don't understand this, aren't they having to pay extra baggage fees negating any savings? Whenever I fly through India or the Middle East pretty much everyone is taking about 10 giant TVs with them.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Without a lovely excuse. She might easily believe your bullshit but you can give a better one

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

I don't understand this, aren't they having to pay extra baggage fees negating any savings? Whenever I fly through India or the Middle East pretty much everyone is taking about 10 giant TVs with them.

Prestige I guess. I know for the medicine part of it is they know it's real if they buy it in Japan or Korea. All the appliances and stuff I dunno, maybe that's fake here too? Or the import taxes might be enormous?

In Korea for a while people would bring TVs in because Korean companies abuse Korean race loyalty and charge absurd prices domestically, so it was actually cheaper to fly to the US and bring back the fancy new Samsung TVs than to buy them in Korea.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
I lived in Japan for 3 years and I wish I'd never left. Their English is still terrible (much like my French eh Ceciltron), but in general it's awesome.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
This thread has taken a turn for the introspective, let's gently caress it up with some glass heart bullshit

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/05/31/emirates-airline-orders-cabin-crew-not-wear-taiwan-flag-accordance-one-china-policy/

quote:

Emirates airline crew from Taiwan have been ordered to remove Taiwanese flags from their uniforms in accordance with the “One China policy,” according to an internal email circulating online.

“We have been instructed by the Chinese Government that with immediate effect, Emirates airline cabin crew are to follow the One China policy,” screenshots of an email issued by the airline’s Uniform Standards and Development Manager said. The email was sent to crew members on Tuesday, according to Apple Daily.

It ordered crew members to remove Taiwanese flags from their service waistcoats and replace them with Chinese flags.

“This must be followed by all Taiwanese crew without exception.”

But responses to the email appeared to have caused the department to issue a correction later on, retracting part of its order.

“After reviewing your responses to the email below the original request for you to wear a Chinese flag was incorrect and inappropriate,” it said, and apologised for any distress caused by its first email.

But the department still required crew members to “refrain from wearing your Taiwanese flags on flights until further notice.”

The company also required Taiwanese staff to be listed as Chinese on crew rosters and use their mainland travel permits instead of their Taiwanese passports when operating flights in China, a crew member speaking anonymously with Apple Daily claimed.

Following news of the incident, the airline’s Facebook page was bombarded with pictures of the Taiwanese flag and angry comments asserting that Taiwan is a country.

Emirates airline crew members have been required to wear nationality flag pins on their waistcoats since 2015. Previously, the airline was forced to compromise with Hong Kong crew members, who protested against the requirement that they must wear Chinese flags on their uniforms. They now wear both Chinese and Hong Kong flag pins.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Fromage posted:

In Korea for a while people would bring TVs in because Korean companies abuse Korean race loyalty and charge absurd prices domestically, so it was actually cheaper to fly to the US and bring back the fancy new Samsung TVs than to buy them in Korea.

When the Genesis was winning all those awards it was the same thing: about $5k cheaper to buy one in the US, ship it over, and pay the import tax than to buy one in Korea. Hyundai countered by saying poo poo like "well the North American one doesn't have heated seats, so.."

I also consistently heard rumors that all vehicles produced for domestic consumption were using a lower grade steel than those for export, but, welllll, korea and rumors...

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Actually don't go to japan. It's already quite crowded.

But you should still die in a car crash when you go elsewhere.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Prestige I guess. I know for the medicine part of it is they know it's real if they buy it in Japan or Korea. All the appliances and stuff I dunno, maybe that's fake here too? Or the import taxes might be enormous?

You can still buy Japanese made appliance in Japan.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

caberham posted:

Actually don't go to japan. It's already quite crowded.

But you should still die in a car crash when you go elsewhere.

But Osaka is ok right?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Imperialist Dog posted:

This thread has taken a turn for the introspective, let's gently caress it up with some glass heart bullshit

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/05/31/emirates-airline-orders-cabin-crew-not-wear-taiwan-flag-accordance-one-china-policy/

But how will mainlanders know why these Chinese crew sound gay?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Imperialist Dog posted:

I lived in Japan for 3 years and I wish I'd never left. Their English is still terrible (much like my French eh Ceciltron), but in general it's awesome.

Honestly these days I get so excited whenever I hear french anywhere outside of my home province I don't care about the quality. In Harbin I had a friendship with a russian fellow based entirely on a shared appreciation of french electronica composer Jean Michel Jarre.

However, whenever I try and speak chinese with the occasional chinese customer in my shop they just default to "aaaaaaaaahhhhhh the foreigner speaks chinese, aaaaaahhhhhh" followed by super fast dialectal speech between said person and their friend I can't follow.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

I'm getting the impression that whatever psychological damage induced Mrs. Quebec to wander down the aisle with Glen here also precludes him giving an honest answer to why he'd rather not visit Asia.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

angel opportunity posted:

I don't think there is any actual sense of how fun a place is, trying out the food, looking around to see what life there is like, or anything most people would consider a goal of travel...

...For Chinese tourists I really just never see any of that. It's always just like shuffling from one location to another as fast as possible to mark off the mental checklist item. If you tell them, "There is this really cool place that not many people know about, but I live here and can show you," they will usually be completely uninterested in it because it's "not famous."
This is my experience with how Mainlanders see everything, not only travel. There's a package experience of something, so that's all they require. No need for anything deeper than that, because so many won't appreciate it at all.

I was a tour guide in India for a shitload of Chinese for a little while. They were easily divided into "Only care about the main attractions in that place they heard of before" and "Want to shop." The group was Europeans and Chinese. The Europeans, of course, were blown away by the places I took them (in a historical town with a couple thousand years of stuff built up/into it), but the Chinese were just waiting for it to stop so they could spend money, or go back to the stuff that the book talked about, and go sleep. They were unable to eat any of the food, and the guy that arranged the tour had to make special requests in advance that it just be boiled-type foods with no spices, oil, or chili. It was like being around old people, but many were in their 20s or 30s. There were a few cool ones that were more open than the others, but still limited their experience by their own doing.

It's the same with everything here. If other people can't validate it, then it doesn't exist. Brand or name recognition is the most important thing in this material culture (that survey where Chinese were the most materialistic out of all countries, LOL). You could just say "I am buying a new phone/car/computer/shoes/etc. and get their knowing answer of "Is it an iPhone/BMW/Mac/Nike/etc?" rather than "What will you buy?" If you said "I am going on a vacation," you'll get "To Paris? To Japan? To Thailand?"
Whenever people ask what university I went to (to see my worth in their brand-recognition method), I always reply with "It wasn't Yale, Harvard, or Stanford. Sorry." Then to save face, they say they know many US universities and I can tell them. So I tell them, and they pretend to even know that state name in the title is one of the 50 states.
I recently got a new phone, and the main shocked questions from everyone that heard about it was "Why wasn't an iPhone/Samsung?????????"
When I tell people I lived in India or am going back, they ask if I live near the Taj Mahal. When I said I have never gone to that tourist trap, they are extremely confused and ask what would I do there?

quote:

My thinking was that a lot of Americans really like Indian food and most Chinese people have never tried it, so it would be good for him to try. They both politely agreed, then we get to the restaurant and he looks at the menu and I can tell he's not excited. I ask what kind of thing he wants to eat so I can help him decide, and he says in the most retroflex Chinglish you can imagine, "How about shrimpers?"
LOL. I've taken some Mainlanders to Indian food here and they all absolutely hated it. The two big complaints were "it is too spicy!" for things that were bitter or barely spicy (bitter being like mustard oil in the pickle), or "there is too much flavor!" and it wasn't bland "subtle" taste because it should be more like Chinese food. One of them actually said "This food is hell. I could never eat this every day. Why would anyone want to put this in their body? Who can eat spicy like this? I can't even eat the rice."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Imperialist Dog posted:

Yeah I really would rather live there. Unfortunately the pay in Japan kind of sucks. The good international school jobs are rare because nobody ever leaves them, and there's not much market for anything else. English teaching sucks and I don't want to do it again, and doubly so given that I'd actually be making less money than I do in China for teaching subjects I actually like.

If I saw a history teaching job in Kansai that paid the same or better than China (adjusted for cost of living) I'd be out of here in a second.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I had a student who asked me what kind of phone I had. I told him a Motorola, he asked "what's that?" I told him it was a company that makes phones. He said "trash!" He asked how much it cost. I told him it was 200 dollars, 2 years ago. Again "trash!"

This student is American. He is also severely emotionally disabled (to the point that he is in the process of being removed from school), and his sense of self-worth is inextricably tied to how he thinks others see him, so he constantly goes on about all the expensive poo poo he owns but doesn't happen to have with him.

Apparently that's what it takes to come out sounding like the Chinese people we're describing. 'Course, I've had students with world-views like this in China, too.

It's times like this that I'm glad my in-laws are all nongs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

On a blood-soaked chair in dead Xi'An, dread Nongthulhu lies dreaming.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VideoTapir posted:

I had a student who asked me what kind of phone I had. I told him a Motorola, he asked "what's that?" I told him it was a company that makes phones. He said "trash!" He asked how much it cost. I told him it was 200 dollars, 2 years ago. Again "trash!"

This student is American. He is also severely emotionally disabled (to the point that he is in the process of being removed from school), and his sense of self-worth is inextricably tied to how he thinks others see him, so he constantly goes on about all the expensive poo poo he owns but doesn't happen to have with him.

Apparently that's what it takes to come out sounding like the Chinese people we're describing. 'Course, I've had students with world-views like this in China, too.

It's times like this that I'm glad my in-laws are all nongs.

sounds like the armenians I went to school with. Same with gypsies. Someone's cousin always had "x" and no you cant see it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Pork on display.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Fauxtool posted:

sounds like the armenians I went to school with. Same with gypsies. Someone's cousin always had "x" and no you cant see it.

This was the Ukrainians for me in the PNW, except cars they all seemed to drive different terrible cars every day.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

angel opportunity posted:

"See alligator"

That delicious feeling of everything being wrong. I'm so glad that I don't have to date people anymore

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\
They would have gotten away with it too if they hadn't tried to counterfeit an inferior product with, well, anything else

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2096300/chinese-gang-refill-empty-cans-budweiser-beer-plastic-tub

quote:

A TV station in central China has released a video showing a group of workers in a warehouse putting beer into used and recycled Budweiser cans.
The report shown on Hunan Economic Television shows women clearing old Budweiser cans from a cardboard box and then dumping them into a plastic container to refill them with beer.
The cans are then shown being resealed with a canning machine.
Police are later shown inside the warehouse, with crates of beer stacked in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Imperialist Dog posted:

They would have gotten away with it too if they hadn't tried to counterfeit an inferior product with, well, anything else

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2096300/chinese-gang-refill-empty-cans-budweiser-beer-plastic-tub

But is it better than real Budweiser?

• Locked thread