Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Libertine posted:

I get really unnaturally excited if the QM pops and our team composition is anything resembling a normal balanced team.

On the other hand, there's that feeling of loss when such a composition disappears into the ether when someone's connection fucks up and terminates the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I swear half the "normal comp" QM screens you get are fake and the game is just teasing you, and will always just give you the connection error when this is the case

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

A friend of mine is who is super new just started playing and last night I did a few quick match games with him. I, uhh, feel bad by how much I steam rolled the enemy team.

Like it's just not fair how good ETC. is against an entire Overwatch gimmick team. Plus I also found out he got a new glam metal skin with the 2.0 update, it's great.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
I don't mind weird comps, heck most of the time when I get bizarre stuff it's with 2-3 goons and there can be genuine tense and neat moments as both teams scramble in suboptimal conditions. I just don't want a weird comp punished for it in QM by going up against a traditional one. Being on either side of that usually makes for a less enjoyable game. If the rule of play is "You need at least 1 tank and 1 healer to succeed in QM," there should be a warning/flag during character selection, just like in Overwatch -Or a tutorial that explains it. The closest thing people get to that is VS AI which will just throw random comps together.

In draft you really should already know the basics of comp, and not just how your team interacts but how your opponents do as well, so I won't complain about it of course.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

I don't mind weird comps, heck most of the time when I get bizarre stuff it's with 2-3 goons and there can be genuine tense and neat moments as both teams scramble in suboptimal conditions. I just don't want a weird comp punished for it in QM by going up against a traditional one. Being on either side of that usually makes for a less enjoyable game.

This was a QM game after a few minutes of play, where everyone on my time was solo queued and the enemy team was a 5-stack:

I'm not even mad about it because I don't have high expectations of the QM matchmaker, just thought it was funny.

Family Values fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 30, 2017

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
With them officially releasing the OST on Youtube I'd just like to remind everyone that if you turn off the music in this game you are objectively a bad person.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
What the hell is up with goons refusing to do voice chat, especially in TL? And then being surprised that we play like poo poo and have no coordination. I've had it happen like 3 times this week. At least the last few times there wasn't actual raging, but it still just boggles my mind.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I enjoy that Probius starts floating menacingly at you while searching for a game.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Anyone have pointers on Zul'jin? I want to like him, and I love when people underestimate just how much damage he can poo poo out, but I feel like "be unkillable for 4 seconds" is code for "die after 5 seconds".

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

Anyone have pointers on Zul'jin? I want to like him, and I love when people underestimate just how much damage he can poo poo out, but I feel like "be unkillable for 4 seconds" is code for "die after 5 seconds".

Play Valla or Raynor instead.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ghost of Starman posted:

"die after 5 seconds after taking two+ people with you". Can't die if noone is standing to last hit you (or if you have a Tassadar/Zarya shield, Lucio sound Barrier, etc). Pointers on ZJ: learn to aim your W as it catches people offguard running out of your melee range, make sure you're always hitting your Q, make sure your trait is (almost) always on (turn it off when your healer is dead and you're just trying to poke people off whatever they're hitting, not actually engage and going for kills), be a massive massive lane bully using your E's sustain, split push with your trait has ZJ clear buildings faster than any other hero as long as you are staring at your minimap and bolting the second there is a MIA, if you're out of position you're dead, draft a team that has at least one shield to keep taz'dingo from being a death announcement (if you take ZJ you pretty much need to take Zarya). Really he isn't that complicated to play, just have to have impeccable positioning, be able to land a very simple short range skill shot, and make sure your team can support your ult.

e; ZJ, Ray, and Valla are very similar heroes. Ray is better when you need area control via Hyperion as well as need to survive a Nova/Zera/dive with a bigger body - in a pinch he also brings bribe to the table which can be relevant on Hanamura. Valla brings stuns to the table as well as some better escapes and waveclear. ZJ brings no utility and mediocre waveclear, but puts out the highest single target damage both PVE and against other heroes.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 31, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Ragnaros got a stealth nerf. Lava Wave got tweaked to 80 Mana, 120 second cooldown.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Bogart posted:

Ragnaros got a stealth nerf. Lava Wave got tweaked to 80 Mana, 120 second cooldown.

I thought the CD increase to 120 was in like... the first or second round of nerfs he got after his release.

Coolness Averted posted:

What the hell is up with goons refusing to do voice chat, especially in TL? And then being surprised that we play like poo poo and have no coordination. I've had it happen like 3 times this week. At least the last few times there wasn't actual raging, but it still just boggles my mind.

I loving hate voice and find it miserable, not just with goons and not just in HotS. But if I do team league I'll sure as poo poo get on to listen at the very least, because it's loving TEAM LEAGUE and you're supposed to be a TEAM.

So, uh. No clue.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nephzinho posted:

Ray is better when you need area control via Hyperion as well as need to survive a Nova/Zera/dive with a bigger body - in a pinch he also brings bribe to the table which can be relevant on Hanamura.

Raynor's Bribe was removed in September of last year.

So no, he does not do that.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Thanks! That 'impeccable positioning' (and 'your team comp needs to help you out') are probably where I'm falling short. :geno:

And maybe I'll check out Valla/Raynor as well. :)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Is hero scaling additive or multiplicative?

If a hero has base AD of 85, at level 20 is it 20*19*.04 or 20*1.04^19?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Ghost of Starman posted:

I would just reiterate the point that if you are out of position as Zul'jin you are dead, dead, dead. Unlike with Valla's dash or Raynor's knockback you have nothing to help you escape from the bad situation you just got yourself into by chasing that guy who underestimated your damage and backed out late but one more hit will kill him and oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo.

That's the story of my life playing Zul'jin in QM - you have to learn to live with the fact that half of your targets will escape on low HP and there's nothing you can do about it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Toshimo posted:

Is hero scaling additive or multiplicative?

If a hero has base AD of 85, at level 20 is it 20*19*.04 or 20*1.04^19?

It's 4% for each level so at 20 it'd be 85*1.04^20 giving 186 AD at 20. (Base stats are actually for level 0, the first level counts as its own level.) The usual shorthand I go with is 2.2x for level 20, 1.5x for level 10.

The scaling is funky sometimes, it can be any of 3%, 3.5%, 4% iirc? I may be wrong on this, but I basically don't pay attention to the numbers and just mostly trust they'll take care of themselves. This gets to be bothersome, though, with how inconsistent talents are about updating ability tooltip numbers.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

MisterZimbu posted:

With them officially releasing the OST on Youtube I'd just like to remind everyone that if you turn off the music in this game you are objectively a bad person.

A shame it's only the stage music and not the various lobby and new hero intro screen themes.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's 4% for each level so at 20 it'd be 85*1.04^20 giving 186 AD at 20. (Base stats are actually for level 0, the first level counts as its own level.) The usual shorthand I go with is 2.2x for level 20, 1.5x for level 10.

The scaling is funky sometimes, it can be any of 3%, 3.5%, 4% iirc? I may be wrong on this, but I basically don't pay attention to the numbers and just mostly trust they'll take care of themselves. This gets to be bothersome, though, with how inconsistent talents are about updating ability tooltip numbers.

Most heroes get a 4% increase to Health and Damage (both attack and spell) per level. Outliers are Varian (who gets 3% per level because of his whole "variable role" bullshit) and Greymane (who gets 4.5% per level for no apparent reason).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah. I was just trying to figure out how much Zagaras stacking AD was worth. If her base AD is 85 and her scaling is 4% (according to the wiki), then her AD at 20 should be 186. So, basically every 6 hits (.3/hit) is 1%?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

This just happened in ranked draft chat:

:confused:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Google gives 0 hits for those names and it doesn't look like a typo since he typed them more than once. I really want to know what he was trying to say.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I... what? :psyduck:

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
Should have just gone with it and banned kloctus imho

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

Should have just gone with it and banned kloctus imho

Post your rank

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

you know, kloctus, sanpytrin and thu kulitas from the hit blizzard franchise 'Oviabcrarm', everyone's favorite fourth-person hypergrinder

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Well 'Sanpytrin' is supposedly a healer, and Malfurion is the only support with a nine-letter name.

'Thu Kulitus' could be The Butcher but I'm drawing a blank on Kloctus. Like, did this person's language center break while they were queuing or something?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bloody Pom posted:

Well 'Sanpytrin' is supposedly a healer, and Malfurion is the only support with a nine-letter name.

'Thu Kulitus' could be The Butcher but I'm drawing a blank on Kloctus. Like, did this person's language center break while they were queuing or something?

"A player you were matched with smells burned toast"

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Heroes of the Stroke.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Why doesn't probius' 'escape' work like hammers

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015
Heroes of the Storm 2.0: plz ban kloctus or sanpytrin

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Relin posted:

Why doesn't probius' 'escape' work like hammers

because then he'd be overpowered

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Family Values posted:

This just happened in ranked draft chat:

:confused:

We need a Covfefe counter, Kloctus is fine.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

Bloody Pom posted:

I don't really know cyrillic but their L looks like a lowercase n and "y" is "u" so I believe we've solved that mystery.

Kloctus obviously just means Kloctus, who is only good against double support Novathur comps. I don't know why you'd ban Kloctus.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

Kloctus obviously just means Kloctus, who is only good against double support Novathur comps. I don't know why you'd ban Kloctus.

Well, maybe they were planning on running a double support Novathur comp.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Unban Kloctus. He did nothing wrong.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I'm glad that the hell dimension is merging with ours

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Anyone wanna guess our boy's favorite hero?
https://www.hotslogs.com/Player/Profile?PlayerID=3978701

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Lol if you haven't gotten to grandmaster and unlocked the forbidden hero list