Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Did anyone else know you get anniversary coupons?

My account is 6 years old and this is the first time I have noticed this. Didn't get an email or anything telling me I had it either, I just noticed a little icon on the WoT page. I guess I have missed some over the years.
:/

Despite the name, it can be used on WoWS or planes (lol) items too and stacks with existing discounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I need a change and I think that change is a TD. Which tree is the most fun? JE100?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Xabi posted:

I need a change and I think that change is a TD. Which tree is the most fun? JE100?

The grille tree is better. There's some proper dog poo poo talks in the jpe line.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I think the Russian TD line (the one with the isu 152 etc) is the most fun TD line in the game, even if the t10 isn't very good. Apparently it's in line to be buffed though.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I reinstalled because I make terrible choices in life. Are the t9/10 french lights worth poo poo or should I just focus on getting a Batchat?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

No tier 10 light is worth it, the 9 lights are as good as they get

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Ranked Battles start June 5th, apparently.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

bloom posted:

I reinstalled because I make terrible choices in life. Are the t9/10 french lights worth poo poo or should I just focus on getting a Batchat?

T9 13 90 is good, T10 13 105 is not so good, Batchat is the best.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Hellsau posted:

Nobody really complained about the STA-2 being too good or the many, many premium Pershings. Even the CDC, which is the second third best tier 8 medium behind the 416 (and I guess Lorraine 40t now), was mostly fine because it couldn't just end a game by showing up on a flank and killing seven pubbies who refuse to fire premium ammo. Hell the T-44-100 is just a T-44-100, and they gave that poo poo out for "free". What changed between the FV201 (an even worse Black Prince), the Patton KR (basically the Pershing), the Panther 8.8 (a worse Panther 2) and the Patriot (a better T32)? Pretty sure it was the Panther 8.8 disaster where it sold so badly they reversed their policy of "slightly worse than tech tree tanks of the same tier, if they're really bad give them pref matchmaking" to "pref matchmaking is gone, just make all tier 8 premiums better than the last."

Then again there's still stuff like the Steyr WT or the random tier 5 premiums that they release with zero fanfare that are just kind of poo poo like the Pz3K or Turan III or whatever. Maybe they're trying to funnel more players into tier 8 battles so tier 10 players have someone to poo poo on? I dunno how the RU server's matchmaking works at high tiers. They said they removed battle tier 12 because there weren't enough tier tens on the RU server to fill them but that might just be horseshit. Maybe the RU server is just way loving different than what we're playing that these overpowered tier eights somehow make sense for the only server Wargaming cares about?

They've shot themselves in the foot with ever going back to the former model. It was so painfully evident with the Steyr WT sales - why the hell ever buy that when the Skorpion G is available?

The only reason to buy pre-powercreep premiums is if you're desperate for a crew trainer for a line that doesn't have an OP premium or it's, god forbid, a fun tank (Churchill III, Tetrarch, etc)

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Barry posted:

They've shot themselves in the foot with ever going back to the former model. It was so painfully evident with the Steyr WT sales - why the hell ever buy that when the Skorpion G is available?

The only reason to buy pre-powercreep premiums is if you're desperate for a crew trainer for a line that doesn't have an OP premium or it's, god forbid, a fun tank (Churchill III, Tetrarch, etc)

The Steyr would have been fine if it had the engine power it has now and two or more of the following: Maps that haven't had more agent orange dropped on them than Vietnam. Maps that had long sustainable shooting lanes. TDs that kept a good portion of their camo while shooting. As it is now, it is just basically paper Tiger. Really!

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Barry posted:

Yeah, they just make poo poo decisions about which premiums to release and develop. They need to diversify the premiums across nations and tank types. Many lines don't have a good crew trainer available to them. Once they pick an underserved line, they need to start with an average tank, and then make it excel in a particular area. Assuming the area isn't 'impenetrable armor' or 'massive alpha', this should result in a fun but relatively balanced premium.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

serious gaylord posted:

The grille tree is better. There's some proper dog poo poo talks in the jpe line.

None are worse than the St Emil

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

HFX posted:

The Steyr would have been fine if it had the engine power it has now and two or more of the following: Maps that haven't had more agent orange dropped on them than Vietnam. Maps that had long sustainable shooting lanes. TDs that kept a good portion of their camo while shooting. As it is now, it is just basically paper Tiger. Really!

I've never actually looked at the Steyr WT stats that closely since it was just poo poo, but having a longer reload than the Tiger on a tank with half the HP and a lower top speed is kind of funny. Also, 40 module HP on the Steyr's engine means that thing is going to just be destroyed with a shot from basically anything unless it hits the saving throw, even from a 57mm.

Nice gun elevation though.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Azhais posted:

The flakbus is garbage and the Nashorn isn't much better.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I looked at VBaddict and just lol at how broken the Defender is. 55.5% WR over 300k battles (with a weighted average between the 2 variants). Also yeah the only holding back the 13 57 previously was MM...to then give it a VStab on top of the MM change is just lol. It's almost as if WG'ing doesn't play their game OR those that do are 45% shitlers.

Edit: Others stupid things I noted. The Patriot is the highest net income by almost 1k credits per game. Which is impressive considering there's a 5% gap to #2 (STRV 71) a 23% increase on 5th (Lowe) 32% on 10th (FCM 50t), and 45% on the Defender at 15th. Additionally, the KV220 is also insanely and hilariously broken and always has been, but because t5 no one cares. The FCM 36 Pak 40 has the best WR really of any tank at 60%.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 31, 2017

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Hellsau posted:

I've never actually looked at the Steyr WT stats that closely since it was just poo poo, but having a longer reload than the Tiger on a tank with half the HP and a lower top speed is kind of funny. Also, 40 module HP on the Steyr's engine means that thing is going to just be destroyed with a shot from basically anything unless it hits the saving throw, even from a 57mm.

Nice gun elevation though.

It has some great effective mobility too. Just not enough to save it. I don't think their is really a way to fix it without them fixing the problem of what they did to TDs and maps.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I looked at VBaddict and just lol at how broken the Defender is. 55.5% WR over 300k battles (with a weighted average between the 2 variants). Also yeah the only holding back the 13 57 previously was MM...to then give it a VStab on top of the MM change is just lol. It's almost as if WG'ing doesn't play their game OR those that do are 45% shitlers.

I really am sad I did not buy it at Christmas because I wasn't sure I could come back to this game for more than a month or two. If anything, it would have given me something to shove my 13 90 crew in after I'm finish the T10 climb.

Do remember that VBAddict represents a self selecting group and the data is skewed high. The group isn't as large as it used to be, and vbaddict does contain data when T7 saw T10, etc. That said, the Defender is pretty much head and shoulders above every other tank with the only real downfalls being the long reload and the upturned front plate that can be harder to hide.

HFX fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 31, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Barry posted:

The flakbus is garbage and the Nashorn isn't much better.

They're okay tanks for maps and games that don't actually exist in practice. Good job WG!

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

xthetenth posted:

They're okay tanks for maps and games that don't actually exist in practice. Good job WG!

Sadly, they did exist, but people were bitching about cloaking hetzers and invisible tanks. So they both neutered the class that benefitted the most from the mechanics that caused invisible tanks and the mechanics that made it easier to be invisible.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HFX posted:

Sadly, they did exist, but people were bitching about cloaking hetzers and invisible tanks. So they both neutered the class that benefitted the most from the mechanics that caused invisible tanks and the mechanics that made it easier to be invisible.

Hilariously, the worst offending cloaking tanks still do cloak and invisitank, but the ones designed around it as a risk/reward mechanic are absolutely gutted.

The answer of course is a spotting mechanic that isn't profoundly loving awful, but joke's on all of us for that one. Even something as simple as changing "tanks see spotted enemy tanks" to "tanks get a bonus to attempt spotting enemy tanks that are spotted" would be a huge deal for giant soft shell catchers that sit at megarange without making the tanks with cloaking devices goofy overpowered (because their margins are thinner and they're more likely to be close to more of their targets).

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 31, 2017

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I somehow got Ace Tanker with the IS-3 after only 41 games. In other words, only the second battle with the BL-9.

Definitely not imbalanced with that combination of alpha, pen and RoF.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

One thing that would help with invisible tanks is to make gun blasts visible even if the tank wasn't.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Taerkar posted:

One thing that would help with invisible tanks is to make gun blasts visible even if the tank wasn't.

tracers used to fill this function, but that was very open to abuse (turning them neon and long lasting, etc). blasts or similar indicators would have the same problem.

Prav fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 31, 2017

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

xthetenth posted:

The answer of course is a spotting mechanic that isn't profoundly loving awful, but joke's on all of us for that one. Even something as simple as changing "tanks see spotted enemy tanks" to "tanks get a bonus to attempt spotting enemy tanks that are spotted" would be a huge deal for giant soft shell catchers that sit at megarange without making the tanks with cloaking devices goofy overpowered (because their margins are thinner and they're more likely to be close to more of their targets).

I was sort of talking about this last night and would probably require them to invest in more server infrastructure. As most of us know the spotting is straight yes or no depending on the spotting points. It would be interesting if spotting would be done as spot checks against total number of spotting points (roughly the projected volume of the tank visible). Just got bit of track hanging out, sure you are spotted, but then you get a reduction to see how spotted you are. So if you are 350m away in your heavy and all that is sticking out is a bit of track, maybe you aren't instantly spotted. However, if half your tank is out there, you are spotted at max range.

You could add in where being radio spotted dramatically increases your chances of spotting depending on number of people spotting. Could be good, could be bad. If only we had a sandbox server to test these kind of changes.

I mentioned previously about alpha for tier for a camo reduction modifier. The idea would be that their would be a reason to take the BL-9s over the BL-10 on the ISU based upon how much camo you lose for firing. It would definitely buff the British pea shooters.

HFX fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 31, 2017

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

HFX posted:

I was sort of talking about this last night and would probably require them to invest in more server infrastructure. As most of us know the spotting is straight yes or no depending on the spotting points. It would be interesting if spotting would be done as spot checks against total number of spotting points (roughly the projected volume of the tank visible). Just got bit of track hanging out, sure you are spotted, but then you get a reduction to see how spotted you are. So if you are 350m away in your heavy and all that is sticking out is a bit of track, maybe you aren't instantly spotted. However, if half your tank is out there, you are spotted at max range.

You could add in where being radio spotted dramatically increases your chances of spotting depending on number of people spotting. Could be good, could be bad. If only we had a sandbox server to test these kind of changes.

I mentioned previously about alpha for tier for a camo reduction modifier. The idea would be that their would be a reason to take the BL-9s over the BL-10 on the ISU based upon how much camo you lose for firing. It would definitely buff the British pea shooters.

All this sounds pretty good.

If we're spitballing, some kind of nebulous "there's a tank in this general area" marker for a barely spotted vehicle would be cool. So if you want to fire some semi-blind shots, go ahead, but you aren't seeing the exact outline of the enemy tank that was barely spotted from 445m away. Maybe not even telling you what specific tank it was so then you don't just immediately shoot the bush for that paper TD.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Firing a gun should just blow away the shrubbery

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

e wrong thread lol

Also tournament people, show up in 7 hours 45 minutes. Bracket isn't up yet but I'll see if we're always north like I fear we will be.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Azhais posted:

Firing a gun should just uninstall the game

Let's face it, this would be best for everyone involved.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Boys, beware, for I am now TD Boy.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

xthetenth posted:

Hilariously, the worst offending cloaking tanks still do cloak and invisitank, but the ones designed around it as a risk/reward mechanic are absolutely gutted.

The UDES is effectively a cloaking tank with how good its camo is. Being entirely serious you have to get so close to it if it decides to not fire. I was dead and watched a O-ni get maybe 50 meters from an udes in a bush and still not spot it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

serious gaylord posted:

The UDES is effectively a cloaking tank with how good its camo is. Being entirely serious you have to get so close to it if it decides to not fire. I was dead and watched a O-ni get maybe 50 meters from an udes in a bush and still not spot it.

But that's an O-ni. 50/50 you'd have the same result with a Maus in the bush

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Could give the IS6 the IS7 gun, I mean yesterday I was rolling for like 380-400 on it, that's about/less than tier 8 heavy damage.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Azhais posted:

ugh the grind to the 128 was so bad

but with the 128 the Emil was... ok

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Is there any reason to get the 2nd turret on the IS2? The listed stats are the exact same, both can mount all the guns, the only difference is 50hp. The turret isn't in the way of unlocking the 110, nor is it present in the 110 tree, so I was thinking of just skipping it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Sure if you want to gimp yourself by 50hp like an idiot.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Those "why would I" turrets often have ~invisible~ stat mods baked into them like a RoF increase. The T29's upgraded turret is a good example.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The upgraded T29 turret has those sick wings/horns I wish were on the T34 and T30. Those other turrets look naked without them.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

MariusLecter posted:

Sure if you want to gimp yourself by 50hp like an idiot.

So you're saying that 50 hp (a 4% increase) is worth 12500 XP?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Those "why would I" turrets often have ~invisible~ stat mods baked into them like a RoF increase. The T29's upgraded turret is a good example.

I checked on tanks.gg and the only stat that changes is HP. Since the hidden RoF increase is shown on the T29 on tanks.gg, I am assuming that is literally the only thing that changes on the IS2.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 31, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

CompeAnansi posted:

So you're saying that 50 hp (a 4% increase) is worth 12500 XP?

did you really read that post and take it seriously lol

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

did you really read that post and take it seriously lol

Some people in this thread have no sense of humor (and bad taste in tanks), so I generally assume people are being serious unless it's obviously sarcasm. Otherwise, I'd have to assume it's sarcasm every time someone says they like arty, or the m3 lee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

CompeAnansi posted:

Some people in this thread have no sense of humor (and bad taste in tanks), so I generally assume people are being serious unless it's obviously sarcasm.

yes, that was obviously sarcasm