Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I'm curious what the scope of the game is now. I haven't played it in a few updates.

I'm trying out salvaging and surveying. Is there anything you can do with those abilities beyond selling the survey data and collecting supplies? Like, do uninhabited planets eventually get used for anything, either by the player or from the existing factions spreading there? Can stations or planets that already belong to a faction change ownership? Can you do anything 'neat' with abandoned stations, gates, etc?

I've got a million space bucks from salvaging, but I can't seem any large or advanced ships to spend it on. I've seen a couple onslaughts for sale for hegemony commisions with high reputation, but that's about it. I scoured every open and black market I could find for an Apogee while I was still heavily surveying, but never found one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Kersch posted:

I'm trying out salvaging and surveying. Is there anything you can do with those abilities beyond selling the survey data and collecting supplies? Like, do uninhabited planets eventually get used for anything, either by the player or from the existing factions spreading there? Can stations or planets that already belong to a faction change ownership? Can you do anything 'neat' with abandoned stations, gates, etc?
Not yet. All this stuff is groundwork laid for the Industry/construction stuff later on.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Kersch posted:

I'm curious what the scope of the game is now. I haven't played it in a few updates.

I've got a million space bucks from salvaging, but I can't seem any large or advanced ships to spend it on. I've seen a couple onslaughts for sale for hegemony commisions with high reputation, but that's about it. I scoured every open and black market I could find for an Apogee while I was still heavily surveying, but never found one.

Different factions will sell different ships when you have a commission with them. I'm with the Persean league and they've got Apogees everywhere it seems like.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the persean league: buy any one ship and we'll throw in a heron for free!*

*not free

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'd like to ask about fleet composition.

I've tried to keep mine balanced this version. Last time I ran into bad logistics problems when my ships got too big too fast.

So when I have a lot of frigates I get some destroyers, when I have a lot of destroyers I get some cruisers. Each class seems useful: the frigates are great at capturing points and harassment; the destroyers are hardy the workhorses; cruisers... honestly I'm not sure how to use them yet but they sure shoots lots of stuff.

I'm wondering if you guys keep a balanced composition, or if your end game fleets end up being all Onslaughts and support ships.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I like balanced. I'll fly the heavy ship with the multiple heavy mounts, then I'll have some frigates for exploiting the backsides of shields and catching fast stuff, and then I have a couple destroyers that are missile/carrier boats. Plus one nice thing about having some smaller ships is you don't always need to deploy big stuff. Being able to scale down your fleet saves on supplies.

Terbulus
Apr 7, 2009

I can get maybe 2 hours into this game before it will crash during saving and corrupt my save modded or unmodded.

Any way to make this any stabler?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Terbulus posted:

I can get maybe 2 hours into this game before it will crash during saving and corrupt my save modded or unmodded.

Any way to make this any stabler?

Use a 64 bit JRE7. Or wait til .8.1 does that for you.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I try to keep it balanced but it usually ends up a bunch of Onslaughts and stronger, with the majority of them rolling a heap of D-mods so I can deploy them cheaply.

Anything below that I keep for pursuits.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Count Roland posted:

I've tried to keep mine balanced this version. Last time I ran into bad logistics problems when my ships got too big too fast.

So when I have a lot of frigates I get some destroyers, when I have a lot of destroyers I get some cruisers. Each class seems useful: the frigates are great at capturing points and harassment; the destroyers are hardy the workhorses; cruisers... honestly I'm not sure how to use them yet but they sure shoots lots of stuff.

I'm wondering if you guys keep a balanced composition, or if your end game fleets end up being all Onslaughts and support ships.

I tend to build my fleet with one big capital ship that I fly, then 1-3 cruisers, then whichever destroyers and frigs I end up salvaging, and freighters/tankers as neccesary for a logistics train. As of the current version, improvised flight decks go on EVERYTHING that can take them due to fighters being ownzone. This, combined with fighting everything, has led to quite an eclectic mix of gear and guns and fighters on my ships. I have Knopeshes and Diable Avionic's wanzers right next to Remnant drones and mobile suits from the IBO mod.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I've found most of the wanzers to be quite underwhelming.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Count Roland posted:

So when I have a lot of frigates I get some destroyers, when I have a lot of destroyers I get some cruisers. Each class seems useful: the frigates are great at capturing points and harassment; the destroyers are hardy the workhorses; cruisers... honestly I'm not sure how to use them yet but they sure shoots lots.
Cruisers are great anchors- carriers and venting destroyers can hide behind them, and they have the range and firepower to create a large zone where frigates will rapidly get swatted down so they can't flank your other ships. A Venture loaded with Salamanders, Pilums and heavy armour makes a really good and supply-friendly bulwark to pair with damage-dealing destroyers.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Talkie Toaster posted:

Cruisers are great anchors- carriers and venting destroyers can hide behind them, and they have the range and firepower to create a large zone where frigates will rapidly get swatted down so they can't flank your other ships. A Venture loaded with Salamanders, Pilums and heavy armour makes a really good and supply-friendly bulwark to pair with damage-dealing destroyers.

To add to this, Cruisers also have Dedicated Targeting Core (if you don't have Integrated Targeting Core) which adds an additional 35% range to everything, in addition to their inherent range buff by virtue of being a bigger ship. (I can't remember the stats on the inherent range buff 0/10/25/35?) Basically, a Cruiser is going to outrange a Destroyer by at least 10-15% but with DTC or ITC, closer to 50%. Cruisers typically pack about 2-4x the firepower of a Destroyer as well.

Also, the Eagle, Aurora, and Falcon are all surprisingly nimble for being large ships. The Aurora with its ship system can keep up with Frigates, let alone Destroyers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Range boosted large weapons are also among the best ways to deal with destroyers and frigates without risking your own ships.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

FooF posted:

To add to this, Cruisers also have Dedicated Targeting Core (if you don't have Integrated Targeting Core) which adds an additional 35% range to everything, in addition to their inherent range buff by virtue of being a bigger ship. (I can't remember the stats on the inherent range buff 0/10/25/35?) Basically, a Cruiser is going to outrange a Destroyer by at least 10-15% but with DTC or ITC, closer to 50%. Cruisers typically pack about 2-4x the firepower of a Destroyer as well.

Also, the Eagle, Aurora, and Falcon are all surprisingly nimble for being large ships. The Aurora with its ship system can keep up with Frigates, let alone Destroyers.

If I remember right, I think the inherent range boost was from SS+, not the regular game.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

If I remember right, I think the inherent range boost was from SS+, not the regular game.

Yep, you're right (just took some screenshots and compared them). Funny how certain I was that this was in the base game. So, Dedicated Targeting Core is a big deal because you end up outranging everything else by 35% for a Cruiser.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

FooF posted:

The Aurora's probably one of the most fun flagships in the game. A safety override Aurora can hit 300 speed with its system on, enemy fleet formations get hosed up by something that fast running rampant with that much firepower.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Agnostalgia posted:

The Aurora's probably one of the most fun flagships in the game. A safety override Aurora can hit 300 speed with its system on, enemy fleet formations get hosed up by something that fast running rampant with that much firepower.

drat I need to get me one of these. That a TriTac ship, maybe Sindrian?

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Mostly tritach, kill some of their patrols and you'll get one eventually.

V Turn off your transponder and lurk around the edges of their systems, you can lure in one patrol at a time as they come to yell at you for having it off and then murder them. If they don't know who you are and haven't seen you attack another friendly fleet they won't run away even if their fleet is smaller.

Agnostalgia fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 31, 2017

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Agnostalgia posted:

Mostly tritach, kill some of their patrols and you'll get one eventually.

Its weird, I've spent my whole game outside the core worlds, coming back in only to resupply and sell off my poo poo.

I took a commission with the Persean league just so I could get better gear. I havne't been in a single fight with any of the main factions, and the pirates only at the start.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Have any updates come out, namely to fix the factions always being at war and thus never having fleets?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Also I finally got one of those weird little ECM warship ships that shoots lightning, it's weird and cute and I don't know what to do with it but it's presence seems to be a good omen and good luck on the battlefield.

I used it as a flagship for quite a while when I had a big multi cruiser fleet. Super manoeuvrability, fast and survivable with the right mods. I'd use it to survey the battle, prop up my ships when they were flagging and soften massive drone/fighter clusters. The EMP actually does really good damage, and can really rip through the hull of annoying enemy frigates trying to run. As well as taking out the engines.

Also I can mount antimatter blasters.

<3 Omen

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Have any updates come out, namely to fix the factions always being at war and thus never having fleets?

I believe that was supposed to be in one of the hotfixes but we are still waiting on 8.1

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Dodoman posted:

I've found most of the wanzers to be quite underwhelming.

Which is weird, since they were (for me) the most effective fighter size units in the game pre-fighter changes.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Update is out ! Now most mods will be able to update. I need my Blackrock fix !

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

aww yiss. But time and energy is what's holding me back from updating, not bugs

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Agnostalgia posted:

That's a funny way to spell Scylla.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

aww yiss. But time and energy is what's holding me back from updating, not bugs

I got tired of waiting for you and modded the Mantis, Desdinova and Volley Gun in on my own, so take your time :v:

Terbulus
Apr 7, 2009

So what file do i need to edit to make the gryphon have unlimited have instant missile forge charges?
i can t find it in the files anywhere

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Terbulus posted:

So what file do i need to edit to make the gryphon have unlimited have instant missile forge charges?
i can t find it in the files anywhere

change the system to forgevats_station in \data\hulls\ship_data.csv

note that unlimited sabots/hellfires/reapers/mirvs is extremely broken

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
gently caress you Avast, I set their site as an exclusion, lemme download this :argh: Now I just get site errors trying either download link. Though hopefully when I get poo poo sorted on downloading, the fact I've got a fresh windows install means I can still activate Starsector again. Did dig up my old activation code email at least.

Once again remembering I can't ask on their official forums because it never, ever, sends me the forums activation code.

EDIT: Sweet, reinstalled, reactivated, and it's not crashing when I save :buddy: Though I'm noticing the "will now steer around suns" isn't.. quite up to snuff as they drive to the very edge of the sun and then circle through a bunch of coronas rather than avoid it.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 4, 2017

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

In case anyone was wondering, my huge mess of .8a mods and savegame is working fine with 0.8.1, except I don't seem to have the interdiction pulse ability.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Section Z posted:

gently caress you Avast, I set their site as an exclusion, lemme download this :argh: Now I just get site errors trying either download link. Though hopefully when I get poo poo sorted on downloading, the fact I've got a fresh windows install means I can still activate Starsector again. Did dig up my old activation code email at least.

Once again remembering I can't ask on their official forums because it never, ever, sends me the forums activation code.

EDIT: Sweet, reinstalled, reactivated, and it's not crashing when I save :buddy: Though I'm noticing the "will now steer around suns" isn't.. quite up to snuff as they drive to the very edge of the sun and then circle through a bunch of coronas rather than avoid it.

Yeah Avast seems to really hate SS all of a sudden. I had to report the last release as a false positive, and then this one just straight up got vaulted.

Cool update after all the hassle though.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Patch notes

Lots of cool quality of life changes, some balance tilts and a few reworks. Interdiction pulse is a big game changer.
Colossus Mk II & III are up on the wiki. Terminator Drones are practically able to be killed by more weapons. LR PD Lasers are potentially viable. Locus missiles reworked into Fragmentation weapons

Thunders got a complete overhaul and seem to generally be considered relatively weak. That may change, given how the new "Fighter Strike" command interacts with the Thunder's 8000 engagement range

I was a pretty big Thumper fan previously and now they're up to 700 range :black101:

Ship AI has been changed and we'll see how that goes. Potentially a lot better than it was

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Already a lot of mods updated to 0.81, including pirates+ (now underworld) and ships and weapons pack from dark revenant :O

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Drone_Fragger posted:

Already a lot of mods updated to 0.81, including pirates+ (now underworld) and ships and weapons pack from dark revenant :O

There were actually some ships in the ship pack that I had forgotten weren't from vanilla. Now it's just Dynasector I need to wait for.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

0.8.1a Patch Notes posted:

"Factions permanently at war after a while" bug *should* be fixed

Awww yeah finally! This one is what was making me not play the game.

Is the new version compatible with previous saves from 0.8?

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Starsector: Shadow of the Colossus Mk. III

Patch is cool and good. Starting over with a carrier-focus. Interdiction ability is startling at first but works as intended. It's cool to see other fleets use S-Burn and so far, I haven't seen the AI abuse it.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

my kinda ape posted:

Awww yeah finally! This one is what was making me not play the game.

Is the new version compatible with previous saves from 0.8?

Yes, and even some of the 0.8 mods as well.
e: it seems like the interdiction pulse ability doesn't unlock ever though.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Im running pretty much every mod for 8.0 and 8.1a with no issues so far.

grimcreaper fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 5, 2017