Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Metal Knuckles in Advance was rad. You start off thinking "heh, it's the old S&K Knuckles fight, cute. :smuggo:", followed by "OH CHRIST THERE'S SO MANY ROCKETS :gonk:".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I can't wait until people start looping the trailer music, which I expect will be in about two hours or so. There's nothing about this trailer that isn't magical.

The creators put up a longer version of the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnfNWe-HHsI

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

nerdbot posted:

They're counting specifically different robot Sonic entities I think, rather than different designs.

Archie it gets a little blurry since it's implied Eggman has been cranking out Metal Sonics like they're chump change there. In the current continuity he's even already been through two different Tails Dolls. That said I think Mecha Sonic no. 29 is just normal Metal Sonic with some jets attached anyway. There's a lot of loving Metal Sonics though.

No. Tails invented Mecha Sonic no. 29 to spy on the Death Egg II in the intro to Sonic the Fighters.

I didn't count the whole myriad of expendable Metal Sonic copies Archie has been doing in 1) the interest of keeping this list sane and 2) they're not canon anymore and even then the final story of the old Archie continuity had Eggman integrate all the experiences of the previous models into a single unit.

Neo Metal Sonic and Metal Overlord are the same individual as Metal himself so he's not counted. Technically so is "Titan", but Archie made it a separate model as well.

That being said I forgot a few:

Shard/the first Metal Sonic (Archie)
Metal Sonic Troopers (Archie, using the Neo Metal Sonic design)
Silver Sonic 2 (based on the design of Mecha Sonic from SA but changed/distinct enough to count on his own)
Sonic Auto-Automatons (Archie, had only one brief appearance before being exploded)
EDIT - Sonic Man (Archie, Sonic roboticized + modified by Dr. Wily)

Should Boom Metal Sonic be counted? The design is slightly different.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 31, 2017

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax
So according to the elevator the only canon sonic games are now

Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 3
Knuckles Chaotix
Sonic Mania

What about Sonic CD and Sonic & Knuckles? What utter disrespect to fans of those games.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

also, while we're here, let's do the robot/Eggman versions of other characters Eggman has done:

Tails
Tails Doll (Sonic R)
Metal Tails (Archie)
Mecha Tails (Tails roboticized, Archie)
Tails Man (Archie, Tails roboticized, modified by Dr. Wily)
Tails Auto-automaton (Archie)

Knuckles
Metal Knuckles (Sonic R)
Mecha Knuckles (Sonic Advance)
Mecha Knuckles (Archie, Knuckles roboticized)
Knuckles Man (Archie, Knuckles roboticized, modified by Dr. Wily)
Knuckles Metallix (Sonic the Comic)

Amy
Metal Army (Archie)
Rose Woman (Archie, Amy roboticized, modified by Dr. Wily)

Shadow
Shadow Androids
Shadow Man (Archie, Shadow roboticized, modified by Dr. Wily, yes they joked about this)

Other Roboticized Masters (these are all from Archie)
Blaze Woman
Silver Man
Vector Man (yes, we know)
Charmy Man
Espio Man
Rouge Woman
M'Egga Man (Mega Man modified by Eggman)

Sally
Sally auto-automaton (Archie)
Mecha Sally (Archie, Sally roboticized)

Other robot knockoffs
A shitload of auto-automatons (Archie)
A shitload of roboticized people (Archie, SatAM)
A shitload of Metallix drones (Sonic the Comic)
Gemerl (borderline, Emerl modified, Sonic Advance 3)
E-102 Chaos Gamma (Sonic Battle)
"Chaosbot" (borderline, Archie Sonic X comic)

There's probably quite a few I'm missing.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

No. Tails invented Mecha Sonic no. 29 to spy on the Death Egg II in the intro to Sonic the Fighters.

Oh poo poo, that's right. I can't believe I've been bested at Sonic lore?!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The only part of Archie I've really read was the whole Mecha Sally period, and I appreciated it for the fact that she is completely and totally evil and even when her friends try to appeal to the good Sally inside she just goes "nope" and throws them through a building.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

if by completely and totally evil you mean brainwashed and completely lacking any kind of self autonomy that isn't rebuking her friends, I guess she is.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mr President posted:

So according to the elevator the only canon sonic games are now

Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 3
Knuckles Chaotix
Sonic Mania

What about Sonic CD and Sonic & Knuckles? What utter disrespect to fans of those games.

S&K, not Chaotix, is the canon one.

I'm just glad that Sonic 4 is being buried in an alternate universe somewhere.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

3 is for Sonic 3 Complete, the K still stands for Knuckles Chaotix. :colbert:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
They should have just called Sonic Mania "Sonic 4". Sure, there is already another game called Sonic 4, but let's just pretend that one didn't happen.

I mean, it wouldn't be the first time you had totally different games on different systems with the same name. Sonic 1 and 2 for the Genesis and then Game Gear \ Master System were totally different. You had the original DOOM and the new DOOM. Back when Konami was actually a good company, when they "ported" games to other systems, they just made entirely different games with the same name, like Castlevania, Metal Gear, Sparkster and so on.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

CD can be found in a cupboard midway up the stairwell between floors 2 & 3.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Yeah there's nothing wrong with two videogames sharing the same name. Especially for a Sonic game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

When you give your game the same name as a good one that already exists, it's gonna be bad.
Therefore, if you give your game the same name as a bad one, it's gonna be a good game!

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Because they're completely updated, with modern graphics, music, and gameplay. You're autistic, not stupid.

Modern graphics that suck.
Gameplay that sucks.
Music that can't compare to the classic tunes.

Anyway, Sonic Mania is for people with good taste, not for plebs like you. *opens bottle of expensive wine*

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Sonic Generations was good.
Sonic Mania will also be good.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

I thought the thing about Little Planet was that it only appears a certain time of the year and then disappears which was why Robotnik had to chain it down in the intro. So maybe the button for CD only appears when Little Planet does.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

this game is on preorder on steam at 10% discount. if i play a lot of megadrive sonic 123&k in my childhood, should I buy it, thread?

Buy it right now. Believe the hype.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Sonic Generations was good.
Sonic Mania will also be good.

Preach it, brother!

Also I'm calling that the cathedral-looking level in that one image is Stardust Speedway act 2. It's in one of the cathedrals in the background, at daytime. Who wants to make an avatar bet with me

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Frankston posted:

CD can be found in a cupboard midway up the stairwell between floors 1 & 2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I always thought that CD was meant to come out a lot earlier than it did (what with the Sonic 1 sprites and prototypical Spin Dash). Though I believe it and Sonic 2 started development at about the same time (hell, at the earliest stages they might have even been the same game).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

CD was Sega of Japan's Sonic 2.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

did you know, in japan, Sonic 2 was known by its original name, doki doki panic

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Doki Doki Palmtree Panic

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Decide to play Sonic CD today. Still such a great game and my number one favorite Sonic game. I decided to do a Time Stone, Hologram, and Robot Generator run. I surprisingly remember the Special Zone very well .

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

So I was watching the world record all-good-future Sonic CD speedrun and it seems like there is a lot of room for improvement in it. Any Sonic CD badasses in this thread up to the challenge?

This seems to be better than the speedrun.com run by a considerable margin. No idea why its not up there.

Semi related, an good future plus Time Stone TAS was looked into at one point by the guy who did the S3K TAS's if you're interested. Tidal Tempest was fully routed out. Though it seems to be on hiatus as it's about 10 months since any news has been posted about it.

edit; derp I'm a moron and can't read. At least the TAS stuff is valid.

Paused fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 31, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Paused posted:

This seems to be better than the speedrun.com run by a considerable margin. No idea why its not up there.

It's #2 on the leaderboards

Remember, as the discussion up there found out, the 2011 version is not the same as the original version.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Jarogue posted:

Decide to play Sonic CD today. Still such a great game and my number one favorite Sonic game. I decided to do a Time Stone, Hologram, and Robot Generator run. I surprisingly remember the Special Zone very well .

Doesn't collecting all the Time Stones automatically destroy the holograms and generators in the remaining stages? Or am I not remembering it right?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DizzyBum posted:

Doesn't collecting all the Time Stones automatically destroy the holograms and generators in the remaining stages? Or am I not remembering it right?

Yeah, getting all the Time Stones automatically guarantees a Good Future for every stage.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

There are a few Sonic games that make me feel like I'm looking through a window into a parallel timeline - Sonic CD, Knuckles Chaotix, those prototypes for Sonic Extreme, Sonic Lost World even. They feel like curious diversions from a sort of general through-line of design from Chemical Plant Zone through City Escape to Rooftop Run and beyond.

That's not a comment on whether they're better or worse, just an observation that they're very different.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

I forgot that I had to get the last time stone in Metallic Madness Act 2. The holograms are still there since they don't do any thing to important but the generators are gone. Since the game is short enough I will just tomorrow with Tails since this is the first time playing the 2011 ver.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

DizzyBum posted:

Yes. Sonic CD is easier and more fun if you just play it like a regular Sonic game and forget about going into the past and smashing those things to make a good future. Just get the time stones. It's easier. You can stay in them indefinitely as long as you smash the UFO in the middle of each stage for time extensions and avoid the water. Additionally, in the original version, it's easier to kill the UFOs because you can time your jumps for when their lights become visible.

I'll give you that the time travel mechanic is half-baked. It's a pain going into the past and smashing the generators and there is zero reason to go into the future at all other than to see what it looks like. It's kind of a shame because a lot of the different time periods are really cool looking and there is a lot of stuff you'd probably never see in a normal play through. It was a cool idea, it just didn't work out so great.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zelder posted:

I feel like I could argue "dark twisted sonic with a gun" is an idea flawed at its very inception but sonic adventure 2 came out when I was like 13 so I still have a soft spot for all those dumb characters

Shadow is a dumb character, but he's not a bad one. The Maria stuff in SA2 is handled pretty well (honestly, it's aged about as well as the writing in FF7 or the first MGS), and he's pretty great in the comics and Boom.

The problem is, the people in charge of the post SA2 games don't know what the gently caress to do with him and just make him a different-colored, angry Sonic, and this makes him at best redundant and at worst wildly the gently caress out of place.

Like, if I had to incorporate Shadow into Mania, I would make the central joke of the character be that he doesn't fit. He's ultra-serious in a world that is decidedly not at all serious, and gets constantly taken down a peg for it. This is, to my understanding, also pretty much what the Flynn comics did with him. It could also work to have him be a sub-villain to Robotnik (especially if we're treating Sonic Canon seriously and Mania is before SA2), sorta like Metal Sonic, and just limit the weirdness by not having him show up that much.

Now if we want him to be playable that would be hairy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yes. Sonic CD is easier and more fun if you just play it like a regular Sonic game and forget about going into the past and smashing those things to make a good future.

easier, maybe.
more fun? ehhh

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Augus posted:

easier, maybe.
more fun? ehhh

Time traveling and finding the generators is the most unique and most interesting part of the game. Without it, it's just a less fun Sonic 1 (but with a stronger soundtrack).

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Chaotix is weird. Even the later acts in each zone aren't really challenging and most of the enemies just patrol left to right. The hardest part is that stage where you have to find a switch before going to the goal.

It's almost reminds me of Toejam and Earl where the point isn't to be challenged, it's to spend some time wandering around a space with a really excellent soundtrack... except they forgot to put anything interesting in the zones.

Soundtrack's still good though.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

DizzyBum posted:

S&K, not Chaotix, is the canon one.

I'm just glad that Sonic 4 is being buried in an alternate universe somewhere.

The K is clearly for Knuckles Chaotix otherwise it would be labeled as "S" or "SK" for Sonic & Knuckles.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I first played Chaotix on an emulator over a couple of days while I was sick with a fever. I feel like that's how it's meant to be enjoyed.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I hope Mania is full of secrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

beep by grandpa posted:

I hope Mania is full of secrets.

Same. I love all the little references to cut stuff from the old games. Sonic even does a little fist jump now that was cut all the way back in Sonic 1.