Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Techmoan: came for the dash cam reviews, stayed for the British Muppets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Techmoan: came for the dash cam reviews, stayed for the obscure vintage NIB audio tech

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://fat.gfycat.com/SeriousColossalGoosefish.webm

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ God daaaaaaaaaaaaam, that guy hosed up real good.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Thanks for that. It seems it's either that or the G1W, are there any other alternative cameras that are good? Price isn't a huge factor at this point, going to be using the money from the wreck to buy the new dash cam.

Heat resistance is big (so capacitors), and I would like good video quality.

Should I look outside of those two?

I've had this guy for a few Texas summers now and it's holding up decently. There have been a few technical hiccups where I had to reformat the memory card so my PC could read it again, but overall it's been decent. I like the back screen so I can tell what view I'm getting and (in theory) verify it's recording.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
My first G1W died after a few months but my second one has been going strong for a few years now, you just have to make sure you buy it from a good seller like blueskysea. The Mobius cams are also very popular and seem really nice, same with the A118's. I have a K1S in my car that I like a lot but it's audio is crummy if that's important (it's also a lot more expensive than the other options).

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I've had good luck with Mobius cameras in the Texas heat (the slightly older ones, not the Mobius 2). One battery failed so I had to put a supercapacitor in, but that was a less than $10 fix.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

smax posted:

I've had good luck with Mobius cameras in the Texas heat (the slightly older ones, not the Mobius 2). One battery failed so I had to put a supercapacitor in, but that was a less than $10 fix.

One of the reasons I like my Mobius, apart from its reliability, is that you can can change all the settings by using easy-to-use software on your PC.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Gothmog1065 posted:

Thanks for that. It seems it's either that or the G1W, are there any other alternative cameras that are good? Price isn't a huge factor at this point, going to be using the money from the wreck to buy the new dash cam.

Heat resistance is big (so capacitors), and I would like good video quality.

Should I look outside of those two?

Gotta mention the Dod Tech LS470W. 1080p video with amazing low-light capabilities.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Can you change the battery (or put a capicitor) in a g1w? I mean easily.
I have one that has been going strong for almost 3 years, but it now has no battery life, so it shuts off instantly when I turn the ignition, which corrupts the final video, which is far from ideal.
No reason to take another spin on the cheap camera wheel when I have a known good one

I'd note in support of the g1w that the battery survived the inland empire, high desert, and central valley (aka hot as balls) for that long.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

nm posted:

Can you change the battery (or put a capicitor) in a g1w? I mean easily.
I have one that has been going strong for almost 3 years, but it now has no battery life, so it shuts off instantly when I turn the ignition, which corrupts the final video, which is far from ideal.
No reason to take another spin on the cheap camera wheel when I have a known good one

I'd note in support of the g1w that the battery survived the inland empire, high desert, and central valley (aka hot as balls) for that long.

The insides of the G1W-C look exactly like the insides of the G1W, there's just a capacitor soldered onto the board where the battery belongs. Looks like it was an afterthought. I don't see any problem with changing the battery out for a capacitor.

I don't deal with extreme heat, but I do deal with cold, my G1W-C has held up fine with -30F temps in the winter.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Warning, G1W with lovely mount. Also, a combination of multiple lovely drivers who are too busy looking everywhere but the traffic signal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfWeVUNn1Ys

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Of course the Lexus comes to a complete stop and lays on their horn. :argh:

e: to contribute... still capture from my dashcam, click for bigger..

Broken side window? check
Tailgate won't close? check
:siren: WINDSHIELD HALF GONE WITH THE REMAINDER FLAPPING IN THE 60 MPH BREEZE? check :stonkhat:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 8, 2017

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

e: to contribute... still capture from my dashcam, click for bigger..

Broken side window? check
Tailgate won't close? check
:siren: WINDSHIELD HALF GONE WITH THE REMAINDER FLAPPING IN THE 60 MPH BREEZE? check :stonkhat:

texas.jpg

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm fairly sure the other horns you hear (aside from mine) are the other two cars going the same direction as me.

Of course, one of them was that fuckwit in the middle lane who was sitting still on a green, which contributed to the Lexus driver's full on idiocy.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Nah, I can see a hill in the distance. Not flat enough to be :clint:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Good news! The Legislature wants to get rid of safety inspections!

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Drove over some roadkill, missed the main part of the deer.

NSFW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSc9BLHCebY

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Takes No Damage posted:

Nah, I can see a hill in the distance. Not flat enough to be :clint:

The part of Texas I grew up in had mountains. :colbert: DFW is definitely pretty flat though, so is Houston.

FBS posted:

Good news! The Legislature wants to get rid of safety inspections!

Shot through the senate with only 4 nays. We'll see what the house does, but I'm betting they pass it. Hell, a lot of media is already saying inspections are gone, but it hasn't gone through the house yet, only the senate. (Texas senate bill 1588, 85th legislature, if anyone is curious about the details on it). If it does pass, it's proposed to take effect in March of 2018. Emissions inspections will still remain.

The savings per vehicle per year? $7.00. The senator who introduced it did so under the guise of "eliminating the inspection tax".

The irony... is the senator who sponsored the bill is the brother of someone that owns a ton of car dealerships in DFW. You'd think someone from a car dealer family would be all for forcing cars to be repaired (bringing in more money for mechanics and dealers) or scrapped (bringing in more car sales).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 9, 2017

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Has anyone here used a camera like this https://smile.amazon.com/Falcon-Zero-F360-3-5-Inch-Mirror/dp/B01MCZ5SM9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494901851&sr=8-1&keywords=falcon+dash+cam? TJ windshields are pretty steep, so there's not much room to stick most dashcams behind the rear view mirror.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The part of Texas I grew up in had mountains. :colbert: DFW is definitely pretty flat though, so is Houston.

Shot through the senate with only 4 nays. We'll see what the house does, but I'm betting they pass it. Hell, a lot of media is already saying inspections are gone, but it hasn't gone through the house yet, only the senate. (Texas senate bill 1588, 85th legislature, if anyone is curious about the details on it). If it does pass, it's proposed to take effect in March of 2018. Emissions inspections will still remain.

The savings per vehicle per year? $7.00. The senator who introduced it did so under the guise of "eliminating the inspection tax".

The irony... is the senator who sponsored the bill is the brother of someone that owns a ton of car dealerships in DFW. You'd think someone from a car dealer family would be all for forcing cars to be repaired (bringing in more money for mechanics and dealers) or scrapped (bringing in more car sales).

They probably want to sell used cars for current prices without having to brig them up to an inspectable standard first.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

They probably want to sell used cars for current prices without having to brig them up to an inspectable standard first.

I was going to say the exact same thing. No inspection standards means less work rehabbing trade-ins.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdiZxl79zU4

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I got a G1W-C from Spytec to tide me over until the Street Guardian dual channel camera comes out. I noticed it stopped recording at some point on the drive last night. Any idea why? Is it true a UHS-I is actually too fast?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Dash cams are notoriously picky about memory cards, so probably yes

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Untreated mental illness or just drunk at 10am? You be the judge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPuP98pLGdU

I THOUGHT she was doing that thing where you'll walk out to the median of a 2-way road, but then, you know, WAIT for oncoming traffic before continuing across. But nope, this lady just keeps on truckin'. Almost gets mowed down by the white van in the right lane as well.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N2WHrrKacs&feature=youtu.be

Wait til the end...

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Removed. Got a mirror anywhere?

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

davebo posted:

Removed. Got a mirror anywhere?

Assuming it's this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O6radXq0Hg

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Had a close call on the way home today. I don't think the guy even realised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjfp8ASf9Ec

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

echomadman posted:

Had a close call on the way home today. I don't think the guy even realised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjfp8ASf9Ec

What's the limit on that road? With no visibility, it certainly seemed like you were going faster than it would be prudent to be going... I know dashcams can distort things, but...

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

sharkytm posted:

What's the limit on that road? With no visibility, it certainly seemed like you were going faster than it would be prudent to be going... I know dashcams can distort things, but...

Yeah i was going slightly too fast for the conditions. Limit is 80kph, I was doing ~77 when he came into view. its part of my commute home that i drive on autopilot.
I have never seen anyone walking on that road in 4 years of commuting, that combined with the oncoming traffic meaning i couldn't swerve certainly elevated my heartrate.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Even going slower, within reason, bike guy would still be lucky that you didn't hit him walking in the road after a blind curve.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Shere posted:

Even going slower, within reason, bike guy would still be lucky that you didn't hit him walking in the road after a blind curve.

It wouldn't have matter why he was there. If someone was turning into a driveway, if someone stopped due to a road hazard, a ped walking against traffic. I don't care what the limit is, it was too fast for conditions. Fast for conditions means you can stop in time for what immediately comes into view.
I mean, he did stop in time, so I guess, but a drop in 10 kph would make a huge difference there.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I don't disagree with the assessment that he was driving too quickly for the visibility, probably almost by double.

I was mostly marveling at the fact that the pedestrian wasn't exactly doing himself any favors by creating that situation.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
80kph limit in that area seems crazy high, too. I know it's a UK thing to have vegetation right up to the edge of pavement, but it really cuts down on your sight distance around curves like that and the overall clausterphobia would make me crawl. That road would be 30mph/50kph around my neck of the planet.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shere posted:

creating that situation.

Pedestrian is using a public right of way in a legal manner, and is even wearing a reflective safety vest. I'll grand you it's dangerous anyway, but it's only dangerous because of drivers mis-using the road. No blame should go on the pedestrian.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Pedestrian is using a public right of way in a legal manner, and is even wearing a reflective safety vest. I'll grand you it's dangerous anyway, but it's only dangerous because of drivers mis-using the road. No blame should go on the pedestrian.

Ped should be walking against traffic. That's it (and probably wouldn't have done much).

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo. What is going on?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Leperflesh posted:

As a pedestrian he is walking on the wrong side of the road. He should be walking facing oncoming traffic - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-pedestrians-1-to-35

Though, had he been riding he is in the right place (though he doesn't have a helmet on)....

The UK and Ireland is full of roads like this one which are all dangerous. As a driver I like having the speed limits where they are and when I use them as a pedestrian/cyclist I try and bear the dangers in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Like, I'm glad that you're able to determine legal fault immediately, but as a general rule of the road I think everyone should be trying to increase their odds of leaving said road alive. Pay attention to where you are and what kind of issues might arise from that. Be defensive of your own life, not passive-aggressive.