Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Harrow posted:

Also I tried the Ember Bay jumping puzzle yesterday and holy poo poo, whoever designed that must be the kind of person who thinks mashing the space bar to jank-climb up mountains in Skyrim is the pinnacle of platforming gameplay because fuuuuuuck that. I think I reached the second checkpoint before deciding one mastery point wasn't worth it.

I like jumping puzzles, I like the Halloween clocktower, the wintersday puzzle, I ran the silverwastes jumping puzzle many times in order to get the welding torch skin. The silverwastes puzzle is actually one of my favorites and I ran it completely blind when it first came out and enjoyed it the whole time.

Both the ember bay and draconis mons jumping puzzles are poo poo unfun, unintuitive pieces of rubbish. Full of blind glides, stupid jumps to slopes that look to steep to climb that you have to run up next to less steep slopes you slide right off of. I followed a guide for both of them and pretty much hated all of it. Trial and error is not fun in those puzzles because if you die or get stuck it's back to the last checkpoint for you and you can waste a good 30 min trying to find the right path and not even get halfway. The draconis mons jumping puzzle doesn't even make good use of the oakheart essence mastery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

quote:

If you love testing your mettle against your fellow players, June is your month to shine! In the coming weeks, we’ll be releasing updates to structured Player vs. Player and World vs. World, along with the start of PvP League Season 7.

World vs. World—June 6

Updates to World vs. World will include improved LFG, new rewards, and skirmishing updates! We’re making sure skirmishing in WvW is fun and rewarding with an updated UI and new rewards. Keep an eye on the blog and release highlights in the next few days for more information.

PvP League Season 7—June 13

PvP League returns on June 13. Sharpen your blades, and get ready to rock!

PvP—June 20

Automated tournaments are the future of competitive PvP in Guild Wars 2, and will let you compete in three daily tournaments for a chance to qualify for a monthly tournament and earn prestigious rewards! Structured PvP will also be updated with a custom arena map for 2v2 battles and a new and improved PvP lobby to hang out in.

The actual news post is broken and won't appear but https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/get-ready-for-the-june-2017-competitive-feature-pack/

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

VANITY POST!

Thief: Fatebreaker.

Ranger: Briarbell

Mesmer: Haywire

Revenant: Mist Eater

Necromancer: Kill Man

HUH. I really do use yellow/gold in everything.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I wonder if this new WvW/PvP update will add the valorous hero set or whatever it's called...there's a less ornate version you can get from a PvP reward track that's okay looking, but the fancier is in the wardrobe and holy hell the heavy legs for it look radical.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I did Ember Bay and Draconis Mons with the help of mesmers running tours. In the latter case, it was one dude with something like six different characters in the squad, strategically placed at various points on the trip. There is no way I would have figured either of those JPs out by myself without hours spent going back and forth on a walkthrough video, and possibly not even then.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Clearly I need to make some Mesmer friends right quick. I want those mastery points but I am so bad at jumping :negative:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think they reassigned whoever did Silverwastes and Not So Secret dives to JP development.

I-H
Dec 24, 2009
FASHION!

DANGER!

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Thought I'd add the names for the earlier alts

Illuyankas posted:

bonus with hat
Rhubarb Rumble (with and without welding mask)

Eau De Rafflesia, Cruelslaw

Stick Throws A Dog, Vinal Plantasy Stix

Timecrop, Earl Grey Alien

Big Booty Birches, Plantonin Scalia

Illuyankas posted:

Unexpected Sass, Koss Kossson

Salacious Crumpet, Glandular Solution

Beta Refugee, Sonic The Ascetic (gotta go fast)

I Kissed A Goat, Check These Guns

I Miss Myspace

Also someone posted a norn, so more vainposting is mandatory

(thanks again for the dye reccs Itburns you erogenous hercules)

I'm a little sad now cause I'm going to have to swap this alt's name and outfit with...

this one's, because 1. I'm bored of 3Wolf and 2. I need Robortnik to have the bristleback pet Fat Sonic

one pair of light trousers, Anet, that's all I ask

just one

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
If you just want the mastery point from the draconis mons JP just look in lfg. There is almost always an afk dude sitting at the chest with lfg up that you can use a teleport to friend item to finish the JP.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I hear people are posting plants?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Illuyankas posted:

just one

i can see why you have a billion alts, their names are all so good. Vinal Plantasy Stix and I miss MySpace destroyed me

Papal Mainframe
May 3, 2017

Illuyankas posted:

just one

*signs light pants petition*

Also, your names are amazing. Fat Darth Maul killed me :discourse:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ohtsam posted:

I hear people are posting plants?

I normally hate outfits without much contrast but I loooove this.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Papal Mainframe posted:

*signs light pants petition*

Also, your names are amazing. Fat Darth Maul killed me :discourse:
Converting gold to gems to gift Illu the name change cert so he could do that is still probably my single greatest contribution to the game.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Illuyankas posted:

just one

ascalonian performer pants

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

where the red fern gropes posted:

ascalonian performer pants
Only on male characters, though. That said, they're fantastic sprayed on leather stripper pants :heysexy:

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
Blunder Red

Mansplaining Anime

Redmanred

Toaster Movements

Doctor Z

Fifty Hues Of Red

Phantom Of Krankor

Sfd Bonehead

David Liebe Hart

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mentioned it in guild chat yesterday, but the Caladbolg quest is really cool and I hope they do more of that. Collections that work as scavenger hunts with no rare drops or material collection are cool and good. I mean, sure, you need a Vision Crystal once you complete the collections, but that doesn't exactly rely on rare drops or super-expensive components or anything--and it even actually gets used for the purpose its name suggests.

Hopefully they're more likely to keep doing cool quests like that than keeping up good legendary quests, just because more players are likely to do things like the Caladbolg quest. (And I'm not about to complain about an easily-accessible, affordable, shapeshifting ascended weapon, either :v:)

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I hope shared inventory slots go on sale soon :(

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Can you do the cadalbog on several characters too?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm pretty sure you can. You can only do each collection once per account, but they also give you recipes to craft the items the collections grant so you can make them again. So I'm pretty sure you can do the quest on any character that has finished the HoT story.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Flame Thrower now seems like it is both fun and also kind of good for once? There is something very satisfying running around burning all these plant men.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/updates-to-world-vs-world-skirmishing-and-rewards/

Legendary WvW backpiece, t2 and a new t3 to the WvW armor coming.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
My mesmer, featuring: pants

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i have a compulsion for fashion and i was thinking about poking around with this game again after not touching it since like, a year after release??
what's changed since then? i know there's been an expansion and it looks like they redid skill points and traits? are warriors still getting buffed in every patch?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

i have a compulsion for fashion and i was thinking about poking around with this game again after not touching it since like, a year after release??
what's changed since then? i know there's been an expansion and it looks like they redid skill points and traits? are warriors still getting buffed in every patch?

Skill points and traits are totally reworked and (imo) way better. The expansion also brought elite specializations, one for each profession, which are basically special trait lines that give you access to a new weapon and alter your main profession mechanic. For example, Mesmers got Chronomancer, which lets them equip shields and gives them a fifth shatter that lets you do a few actions and then rewind time to reset all your cooldowns. The second expansion, which is in the works, will add another elite spec to each profession, and you can only have one elite spec at a time, so they're basically like subclasses.

Warriors are actually pretty low on the DPS totem pole these days. They're still useful to groups because they're the best at giving everyone Might, but their damage is pretty unfortunate unless you go for a condition build (side note: condition builds are really loving strong in PvE, which is something that would've made me laugh around the time you stopped playing). Thieves, Elementalists, Engineers (if you're superhuman and can play a condi Engineer well), and Rangers are the DPS monsters these days.

Also, there's raiding now and against all odds, sometimes non-DPS builds are actually useful. Mesmers, especially, are highly valued despite bringing the absolute lowest personal DPS, because of how much they increase everyone else's DPS.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

What are these T1/T2 weapons and armor that the article is talking about? Are they already in game? Is it the Mistforged Weapons from the past WvW Tournaments?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

What is WvW Skirmish?

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Based on the things that grant you pips, it doesn't sound like it actually requires you to skirmish with anyone at all?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Harrow posted:

Skill points and traits are totally reworked and (imo) way better. The expansion also brought elite specializations, one for each profession, which are basically special trait lines that give you access to a new weapon and alter your main profession mechanic. For example, Mesmers got Chronomancer, which lets them equip shields and gives them a fifth shatter that lets you do a few actions and then rewind time to reset all your cooldowns. The second expansion, which is in the works, will add another elite spec to each profession, and you can only have one elite spec at a time, so they're basically like subclasses.

Warriors are actually pretty low on the DPS totem pole these days. They're still useful to groups because they're the best at giving everyone Might, but their damage is pretty unfortunate unless you go for a condition build (side note: condition builds are really loving strong in PvE, which is something that would've made me laugh around the time you stopped playing). Thieves, Elementalists, Engineers (if you're superhuman and can play a condi Engineer well), and Rangers are the DPS monsters these days.

Also, there's raiding now and against all odds, sometimes non-DPS builds are actually useful. Mesmers, especially, are highly valued despite bringing the absolute lowest personal DPS, because of how much they increase everyone else's DPS.

cool to know, thanks
i think i might roll around on a new character for a bit before i even consider buying the expansion. i'll probably end up just rolling an elementalist again

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

cool to know, thanks
i think i might roll around on a new character for a bit before i even consider buying the expansion. i'll probably end up just rolling an elementalist again

Elementalist is a good choice and probably my favorite profession. There's lots of variety in how you play, what stats you use, what role you play in a group, it's good stuff. And their elite spec is fun because you get to yell "LIGHTNING BOLT" a lot while doing huge damage.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

UchihaHirou posted:

What are these T1/T2 weapons and armor that the article is talking about? Are they already in game? Is it the Mistforged Weapons from the past WvW Tournaments?

There are two prefixes. Mistforged are the weapons, triumphant is for armor.
The t1/t2 mistforged weapons are from the tournaments years back.
T1 triumphant armor is a reward in the triumphant reward track. T2 triumphant (i think) is something to continue with crafting and i never bothered to learn more because crafting so i dont know the answer to wtf t2 triumphant armor is help.

BadLlama posted:

What is WvW Skirmish?

It is part of the revamped points system. A skirmish is just a block of time where your server accumulates points from captures/kills/events...etc. At the end of a skirmish, your world's skirmish points are calculated into the total points for the matchup, and a new skirmish round starts.

treizebee fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 1, 2017

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

The tier 1 armor is https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Triumphant_armor and is currently available through a reward track.
The tier 2 armor can be previewed in the wardrobe but is currently unavailable: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Triumphant_Hero%27s_armor But the article makes it sound like you'll buy it with Grandmaster Crafting marks and some new currency like the PvP ascended.

Mistforged Weapons were from the tournaments they stopped doing a while ago, but they re-added the not as flashy Hero versions of them in another reward track.

Skirmishes are 2-hour increments with the actual Victory Point scoring happening at the end.

Victory Points on the left. If they made 'fighting other groups' an actual requirement of WvW then most of the playerbase would quit.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

UchihaHirou posted:

The armour is the Triumphant and Triumphant Hero sets, which have two of the top 5 heavy asura helms in the game

also you're the best, Merc

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
So the new scoring is to reward the poopsockers who watch over towers and stuff in WvW for hours on end?

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Fortunately being on the Highest Effort 24/7 PPT Server "Maguuma" means camping out in towers all day will pay off. "Playing as intended!" I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and transform into an arrow cart.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

UchihaHirou posted:

So the new scoring is to reward the poopsockers who watch over towers and stuff in WvW for hours on end?

It looks like the new metrics they introduced are to incentivize small group commanding and attacking borderlands that are being karma trained.
...really you'll just see a tag at each tower.

You can contribute to the skirmish score via player kills and sentry captures, so you appear to be able to obtain pips through roaming.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Adhesive Gamin posted:

Fortunately being on the Highest Effort 24/7 PPT Server "Maguuma" means camping out in towers all day will pay off. "Playing as intended!" I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and transform into an arrow cart.

same but a beta cannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

a betapult, surely

• Locked thread