Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
What you should really do is put an LS in it BEFORE the S54 dies, and that way you can put the S54 into an older BMW!

When I traded in my last N52 engine based car, I thought it would be pretty neat to have put one of those engines in an E30 or 2002 chassis. A guy on E90post essentially cracked the ecu just to make an N52 E30 race car, since the power is very linear and you can pretty readily get it close to 300hp, and it's reasonably light.

That way when one project car is driving you nuts, you have another!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

anyone wanna buy a manual E34 535i? :v:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Looking for help pricing my E61. Its a MY08, factory serviced through the full platinum extended warranty and at a local shop since. Just had the water pump done, maintenance all current and was aggressive and did everything based on time, not mileage (low miles car). The kicker where I struggle with how to price: it's only got 62k miles. SoCal car so no rust or anything. I'm seeing people ask 12-15k for cars with double the mileage, but something tells me they aren't actually getting those prices.

I am likely to sell it to a coworker, but if that falls through would it be kosher to check for interest here?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Ultimate Mango posted:

Looking for help pricing my E61. Its a MY08, factory serviced through the full platinum extended warranty and at a local shop since. Just had the water pump done, maintenance all current and was aggressive and did everything based on time, not mileage (low miles car). The kicker where I struggle with how to price: it's only got 62k miles. SoCal car so no rust or anything. I'm seeing people ask 12-15k for cars with double the mileage, but something tells me they aren't actually getting those prices.

I am likely to sell it to a coworker, but if that falls through would it be kosher to check for interest here?

I usually have good luck gauging market rates with cargurus.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Alarbus posted:

What you should really do is put an LS in it BEFORE the S54 dies, and that way you can put the S54 into an older BMW!

When I traded in my last N52 engine based car, I thought it would be pretty neat to have put one of those engines in an E30 or 2002 chassis. A guy on E90post essentially cracked the ecu just to make an N52 E30 race car, since the power is very linear and you can pretty readily get it close to 300hp, and it's reasonably light.

That way when one project car is driving you nuts, you have another!

I'd thought of that, but I really like the S54 in this car. A high-revving I6 is a pretty special thing, and it adds to the experience of driving it.

200 more lbs-ft of torque would also be pretty special, mind you. :getin:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

rap music posted:

I usually have good luck gauging market rates with cargurus.

Good tip, thanks. Found 37 comps, which is amazing since they imported something like 250 of them that year.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
What a pain in the butt.

All things considered, not the worst job in the world with the right tools and two extra sets of hands.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Copper visible on 6/6 rod side bearings, and what looks like normal wear on 6/6 cap side. loving glad I did these "while I was in there" despite it ending up being a 2 day project. I could easily do it again in a day or less knowing what I know now, though.

Now for the Schrick 288/280 cams and followers, VANOS rebuild, and full exhaust! :suicide:

Might still make that Tuesday dyno appointment if I don't have any more surprises. :lol:

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
What cans did you get?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

What cans did you get?

Supersprint race cans, resonator delete x-pipe, catless section 1, and an eBay knock-off Supersprint header I've had in a box for three years that is definitely different quality, but mates perfectly. That last probably being more of a reflection on Supersprint quality than the header's 😂 Supersprint's build quality is really impressive.

Car's going to be very loud. Might not be able to hear the CSL airbox noise, but we'll see.

Question for all: there are like 5 torque specs for the oil pump nut. Does anyone have an authoritative source for this torque spec? Car is a late 2015 build E86 M Coupe. Of course every dealership and shop is closed today... I really don't want to under (or over) torque it. If you have access to the BMW shop manual database, or know for sure, please PM me or text nevermind!. TIA. :)

e: never mind, I looked again at the BMW manual I have with less sleep-deprived eyes, and the torque is either 25 or 30n-m. I figure if I aim for 27.5 I'm not in any real danger in either direction. The biggest issue is that one of the torque specs is 10N-m (!) which is definitely not enough if it were one of the other two, and also almost certainly enough to strip or otherwise break something on the $700+ oil pump if I went for the higher spec. I am also using loctite red on this bolt.

ee: it's 25N-m for sure. Phew!

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 28, 2017

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Any recommendations for cheap E21 radiator replacement with an electric fan?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Any Seattle-area Bimmer goons happen to have a spare S54 head gasket lying around? I have to pull the head to do the rocker arms (not negotiable with the Schrick cams) and I didn't order an HG :( looks like that Tuesday dyno time is officially off. gently caress. gently caress! :suicide:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
What places are good for suspension packages and international postage?
I'm dealing with bavarian autosport now as they have lots of bits and pieces I need (sensors, gaskets, interior trim seals ) though they don't have the exhaust head manifold gaskets. Postage is a reasonable $80.
But my entire front suspension is pretty shot so I was looking at their front suspension package (upper and lower control arms, tie rods etc), it adds another $140 postage. Struts as adds another $100 just in postage on top of that :(

I've been looking at pelican but they don't have some stuff I need, prices seem higher and it's a bigger PITA to get correct parts as well.
I've tried autohaus and their prices for the small stuff is really good but they're $107 postage just for that small stuff like sensors and gaskets (the things bavarian charges $80 for). I haven't bothered checking their rates for large/heavy susp items.
Tried schiedmann and they're 113eu just for control, stab and steering arms, haven't bothered looking up small items there.

I guess I answered my own question and I've just got to suck it up from bavaria with love.

Late edit: going to buy the stuff I need to get this running smoothly from pelican (gaskets to stop air, exhaust and oil leaks), plus coolant sensor to stop it running rich and deal with the $50 postage just for that stuff. Then I'll try to get brake rotors locally as postage for them alone is $120 even if the rotors themselves are dirt cheap from the US. Then get the rear wheel bearing done locally.
If I'm happy with the car after all that, only then I'll suck up and eat the cost of freight for the front end rebuild. Otherwise if it still sucks chassis/engine wise I'll forget about it/run it into the ground/flip it as licence transfer and tyres are going to eat up a lot of my budget anyway. Plenty of sub 2k BMWs out there and I need to save some cash for the falcon ute repairs and respray.

EE: been re-reading this thread and thought I should add that I've often got the best deals from FCPeuro in case any other aussie ever reads this thread.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 19, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Rotors I can get from perth brakes for $65ea. They were kind enough to give me a part number, which I googled and found an ebay store that has old stock of the same part for $65/pr. Best of all it's a perth bmw new and used bmw wrecker/shop, so I might be able to grab some other stuff too and do local pick ups.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 30, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Cross-posting from my project thread:

Is it me, or is this a piss-poor porting job?

Surprise! It's the intake ports in the head on my Z4MC. Any S54 nerds have thoughts for me on this, or am I buying a new head? :suicide:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Who did that? The gently caress were they going for with ports that big? You're going to have a much nicer powerband with a stock used head... I was under the impression that no one really touched the intake side and the real work was on the exhaust.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 30, 2017

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Who did that? The gently caress were they going for with ports that big? You're going to have a much nicer powerband with a stock used head...

I have no idea who did it. I have no idea what they were going for. I know who had it done, since my car has only one previous owner, but :wtc:

So it's not just my imagination, those are awful as hell. poo poo. I'm so mad.

Can't decide if I should clean up the burrs and unevenness and be happy that I could have great peak power, or replace the head with one that hasn't been goatfucked by an ape with a die grinder. :smith:

Not gonna lie: I really don't want to pull the head off of this motor again for awhile.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Let's see the exhaust ports

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Let's see the exhaust ports

They're unmodified. I'm not even kidding.

e: well, poo poo. I think. I'll go have another look.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is it possible its stock...........? Maybe.... would be a big TIL.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 30, 2017

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I don't know if you have an account there, but there are a bunch of people on zpost who would be able to tell you if that's stock or not. http://www.zpost.com/forums/

I'm no expert and I haven't looked at the internals of one of those before, but just from the machining marks I'd guess 99.5% that is modified and not stock.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

HandlingByJebus posted:

Is it me, or is this a piss-poor porting job?

What do they normally look like for comparison?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

DevCore posted:

What do they normally look like for comparison?

That is a thing that I am trying to determine, actively. The Internets is failing me right now.

I know BMW CNC ported the S54 heads from the factory, but there's simply no way that head left the factory with those burrs on the knife-edging and the visible hand-tooling marks. Seems like folks only really take and post photos of the S54 ports when they've had a P&P done on them. :)

Anybody here happen to have a stock S54 head lying around that they could take / post photos of the intake and exhaust ports for comparison? Or have photos from earlier?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Could probably clear it up in about half an hour by posting the pic at M3Forum :)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Could probably clear it up in about half an hour by posting the pic at M3Forum :)

Just did that, in fact. :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, today I learned...

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, today I learned...

True story.

We'll see if somebody replies. I've also contacted a few experts in the industry to get their thoughts and feedback.

Examined the exhaust ports again; they're definitely factory. Still relatively rough-cast, no knife-edging, no profiling, no blending.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

...they're stock. I'm shocked. They're not going back in looking like that. Ugh.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Spot welds that failed on that E46 M3 crash. Lawd.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
That's a new one. E36s have a known failure point with the 3 bungs and you weld in a plate to tie everything back together. That looks like it should be fixable with a nice seam weld along the edge, but I've never looked closely at how the pocket sits in the chassis.

edit: From some reading elsewhere, this car was a body in white build by TCK 17 years ago.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 31, 2017

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I'm loving terrible at electronics and I've searched some BMW forums but they are kind of all over the place and I'm not sure how to proceed.

I've got a 2000 E39 540 Wagon who's navigation computer poo poo the bed (verified by replacing the head unit with a working one and it still not working). It's the mid evolution of the GPS system, I think the computer itself is the version 2:

And I've got the mid evolution display that looks like this:

So I've got a bunch of old garbage in this car and its kind of not pleasing or useful or currently working. I'd like to put one of these in there:

https://www.jandtdistributing.com/c...riant=779425481

Or even a faceplate and a single DIN head unit that can play MP3's.

The question is, I'm under the impression that the head unit on these cars is just a showy display and all the actual computing comes from the dvd player thing in the trunk/cargo area. If that's the case, the sound processing happens back there as well, and while the sound works fine on the speakers (I can tune the radio via the steering wheel controls) I can't tell if anything else works. Would a normal DIN head unit take over the processing of the sound and all other functions and allow the car to otherwise work fine? I don't care at all about GPS or DVD playing or anything other thank being able to listen to NPR and maybe play some MP3's. I also rarely drive the car (less thank 500 miles a year) so I don't need anything super fancy.

Thanks. Turns out 540's really are for poors!

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

HandlingByJebus posted:

Copper visible on 6/6 rod side bearings, and what looks like normal wear on 6/6 cap side. loving glad I did these "while I was in there" despite it ending up being a 2 day project. I could easily do it again in a day or less knowing what I know now, though.

Now for the Schrick 288/280 cams and followers, VANOS rebuild, and full exhaust! :suicide:

Might still make that Tuesday dyno appointment if I don't have any more surprises. :lol:

You must replace the rod bearings every 1-2 years depending on how many track events you do, regardless of what magic/fancy bearings you use. If you keep the motor well below 8k rpm they last much longer, anything past 8k rpm is borrowed time unless you run a stroker crank or dry sump, and even they they just replace the bearings every 1-2 years for cheap insurance. 1-2 years or 100 hours, whichever comes first.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

crazzy posted:

You must replace the rod bearings every 1-2 years depending on how many track events you do, regardless of what magic/fancy bearings you use. If you keep the motor well below 8k rpm they last much longer, anything past 8k rpm is borrowed time unless you run a stroker crank or dry sump, and even they they just replace the bearings every 1-2 years for cheap insurance. 1-2 years or 100 hours, whichever comes first.

Oh yeah, I get that. Having done it I'm pretty confident I could do it again in a day now, and the parts are cheap (especially since I did the ARP rod bolts and don't need to replace them).

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Mcqueen posted:

Would a normal DIN head unit take over the processing of the sound and all other functions and allow the car to otherwise work fine? I don't care at all about GPS or DVD playing or anything other thank being able to listen to NPR and maybe play some MP3's. I also rarely drive the car (less thank 500 miles a year) so I don't need anything super fancy.
From what I know the head unit is just a pre-amp, the amplfier and cross overs are at the back of the car. So if you got a normal head unit you would have to directly wire the high level outputs to each of the speakers, ie couldn't use the factory harness at all, or would need to bypass/disconnect the factory amplifier, supply your own crossovers or replace the speakers, and would lose steering wheel controls.

If there was a direct aftermarket drop in head unit that could use the factory stuff, it would have to be low level non-rca 5v outputs, (e: and probably some dumb grounding arrangement), and of course your old BMW amp in the back would have to be working OK. Maybe that unit you linked to is designed for that, it sure is pricey for a random head unit just for radio use otherwise.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 31, 2017

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Hooray, I can finally legally comment in this thread. Picked up the M2 I mentioned a little while ago in this thread.

This was at BMW Welt in Munich. Great time; first time I was buying a car and the guy explaining things to me knew more about the car than I did. Went and did the museum and what not as well; I'm sure anything in there can be found out by a better source than me.

Car is great driving. I can't go over 106 mph until I get done with the 1200 mile service. But it was perfectly capable at those speeds on the autobahn. I'm not sure white is the best color for this car but I don't like flashy cars so it's probably the best color for me.

The only negative thing is the car came with Continental tires. I thought they were all coming Michelin Pilot Super Sports but the guy who was showing me my car said it can come with either. I would have preferred the Michelins... just my own preference.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

If they are ExtremeContact Sports I can vouch for their quality; they're every bit as good as the PSS (which of course is outdated now :v:).

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Yeah, I'm sure they're fine. I just prefer Michelin in general and was surprised when the tires, that were on the M2 in every review of the car I had read, weren't on it. Who really cares though they'll be replaced soon enough.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

FortifiedTumor posted:

Yeah, I'm sure they're fine. I just prefer Michelin in general and was surprised when the tires, that were on the M2 in every review of the car I had read, weren't on it. Who really cares though they'll be replaced soon enough.
Great looking car. The blue is nice, but white is a great color too.

Are you an American doing European delivery? Or are you from Europe and just picking it up at the factory? As an American, I always thought Euro Delivery would be so cool.

Enjoy the car, and do a burnout!

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
American working in Germany for 6 months this year. You can keep your car up to 5 months with the BMW European Delivery program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

FortifiedTumor posted:

Hooray, I can finally legally comment in this thread. Picked up the M2 I mentioned a little while ago in this thread.

This was at BMW Welt in Munich. Great time; first time I was buying a car and the guy explaining things to me knew more about the car than I did. Went and did the museum and what not as well; I'm sure anything in there can be found out by a better source than me.

Car is great driving. I can't go over 106 mph until I get done with the 1200 mile service. But it was perfectly capable at those speeds on the autobahn. I'm not sure white is the best color for this car but I don't like flashy cars so it's probably the best color for me.

The only negative thing is the car came with Continental tires. I thought they were all coming Michelin Pilot Super Sports but the guy who was showing me my car said it can come with either. I would have preferred the Michelins... just my own preference.

drat, I'm jealous. Please post about it lots so that I can vicariously enjoy it through you.

I test drove this 2015 M3 today (while my car was getting it's annual service at the same dealership): http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=455414045

It's not an M2. It did have an amazing orange interior though, which I love because I'm some kind of loving weirdo.