Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Not sure about #fifthjob if it always replaces your Earth slot, though. Chemist and Dancer tend to become more powerful as the game goes along, and Samurai is nice to have near the end as well. It'd be better if you could use it to get rid of a class like Monk or Red Mage that shines in the first half but peters out in the second.

#fifthjob could work out well if you're doing a random/chaos run. It'd be better if it let you replace any single job, and that wouldn't even be that hard to program. You'd just have to have separate tags like #krilewind, #krilewater, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I hope #fifthjob doesn't adversely effect job fair donations, considering it's essentially a free re-roll.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I don't think it necessarily will, because it could impact a good job over a bad job rather than you selecting which job gets Galufed.

Right now trying to figure out what type of run to do as Berserker Risk.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
#fifthjob would work better as a mime/freelancer/GBA jobs option instead of a free reroll.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
#regpopular is obviously terrible if Thief is weighted so low, because Thief is the best job. I would like to use #regunpopular please.

...you know, I'm being facetious (although I really do love Thief), but now that I think about it #regunpopular would be a pretty good "hard mode" type game. Someone ask RK how hard it would be to just flip the script.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

OzFactor posted:

#regpopular is obviously terrible if Thief is weighted so low, because Thief is the best job. I would like to use #regunpopular please.

...you know, I'm being facetious (although I really do love Thief), but now that I think about it #regunpopular would be a pretty good "hard mode" type game. Someone ask RK how hard it would be to just flip the script.

I bet it shows up later, like purechaos did last year.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I'd like #regpopular more if it wasn't heavily weighted towards classes I already get often. I've been assigned Blue Mage more than any other class (Berserker is the only one that even comes close, and only because of risk and doing the secret mode last year).

Though Time Mage is slotted 5th and I still haven't ever been assigned that one. Maybe I could do a run or two and see if I finally nab it without a Job Fair.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bufuman posted:

I'd like #regpopular more if it wasn't heavily weighted towards classes I already get often. I've been assigned Blue Mage more than any other class (Berserker is the only one that even comes close, and only because of risk and doing the secret mode last year).

Though Time Mage is slotted 5th and I still haven't ever been assigned that one. Maybe I could do a run or two and see if I finally nab it without a Job Fair.

I want your luck. Across 18 non-job-fair runs, I've gotten Blue Mage only once.

I've had 7 Knights, 5 Black Mages, 5 Berserkers (risk-enhanced), 5 Red Mages, and 5 Dragoons.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Chalk me up as another one who would like a #regunpopular. I get bored with runs with the really good classes since they're too easy. The #krile command for a fifth job could be an interesting way to shake up a team, especially on a chaos or random run.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Thinking of playing the SNES version this year after getting a SD2SNES and SNES Retrovision cable to play it with the component slot on my CRT. The old RPGe translation is nice and serviceable, but anyone try the one that came out last year that is a revised version of it? The GBA translation is so good, so I rather not end up with another Y-Burn or Princess Salsa deal.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... is the pre-registration timer counting up?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
If nothing else it's heartening to see how highly Blue Mage and Bard rated in the poll. Even as a kid playing the unofficial fan-translation I knew they were the best classes.

I don't know if I will be able to do a run this year because of my health issues, but I'm excited to keep up with the thread. FFV is a nearly perfect game & I somehow never get sick of it.

I always play the fan translation. I'm not going to claim it's better than the GBA one but my nostalgia for it is pretty strong.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 31, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Gilgabot's gained sentience and is screwing with us

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So, like, is the Fifth Job command only usable in a Natural run? That's how it reads based on the info in the OP at least.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

is there a way to get the fiesta patch with sound restoration, or should i just use sound resto and unlock the jobs other ways

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Red Mage over Geomancer? Urgh.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Detheros posted:

Red Mage over Geomancer? Urgh.

Hey, at least Red Mage helps other casters.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Gimme a geomancer without any passives over a Red Mage imo.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dragonatrix posted:

So, like, is the Fifth Job command only usable in a Natural run? That's how it reads based on the info in the OP at least.

Based on the wording I'm pretty sure it's just a modifier and you call #Krile when she shows up and it erases your old Earth job.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Detheros posted:

Gimme a geomancer without any passives over a Red Mage imo.

I guess I can see that if you treat the Ronka Ruins as the final dungeon.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Signed up for random, I'm ready. :woop:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I think I'll do random or chaos this year but I'm not gonna zerk risk because last year I did that and I got two berserkers and a bad party (can't remember what they were). Ended up having to cheat to get past Byblos, and then burnt out immediately afterward. So I won't do that again.

EDIT: I remember now; it was White Mage and Black Mage but since I was doing chaos I did not have Black Mage yet so I couldn't break rods. I used Black Mage early to break rods because that was the only way I was going to win outside of grinding a lot. Which I was not going to do.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 31, 2017

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

New modes don't sound too interesting. I reckon for fifthjob some people are just gonna grind out job levels before moving to Krile.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

This always looked fun and I never participated before, so I'm in.

However...

I wanted to pay for a legit copy and grabbed the psx version on vita in preparation. Apparently, this was a mistake - but how big of one was it?

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Garbage translation, music, and load times. Enjoy!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Colorspray posted:

However...

I wanted to pay for a legit copy and grabbed the psx version on vita in preparation. Apparently, this was a mistake - but how big of one was it?

You fool!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Colorspray posted:

However...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Is preregistration actually open? All I see on the site is "see you in June 2018" and a counter going upwards...?

:thunk:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Colorspray posted:

However...

theres a load time every time you open the menu

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Colorspray posted:

I sure hope you like several second long loading screens for stuff like opening the menu!

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Eh, at least it's portable and doesn't have the mechanics changes of the mobile versions.

GBA > SFami > PSX > mobile imo

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Golden Goat posted:

New modes don't sound too interesting. I reckon for fifthjob some people are just gonna grind out job levels before moving to Krile.

You're specifically not allowed to use anything from your previous earth job, so...

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

I sure hope you like several second long loading screens for stuff like opening the menu!

It'll give them time to reflect on their poor purchase decisions.

Supremezero posted:

You're specifically not allowed to use anything from your previous earth job, so...

Sweet it's even less interesting.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So GBA is the preferred version if you don't have an iDevice right?

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Is preregistration actually open? All I see on the site is "see you in June 2018" and a counter going upwards...?

:thunk:

Same here. I mean, OP says June 1st, but there's a lot of talk in here about folks being registered.

There's no feeling quite so bad as being jilted by Gilgabot.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, I think RK just forgot to push the button to shift the site into full functionality. Enough people have pestered him about it on twitter that I'm not going to also lump in; he's probably asleep.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Glagha posted:

Considering how the mobile ports are so horrendously ugly (seriously, they managed to gently caress up the tile seams on the generic grass tiles) the GBA version is the preferred version overall.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Glagha posted:

GBA preferred especially if you have an iDevice.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I think RK just forgot to push the button to shift the site into full functionality. Enough people have pestered him about it on twitter that I'm not going to also lump in; he's probably asleep.

And suppose I'm not getting a reply from Gilgabot? What can I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Modal Auxiliary posted:

And suppose I'm not getting a reply from Gilgabot? What can I do?

Wait for RK to wake up and fix whatever's broken. He lives in Japan IIRC and it's 4:30am there.

• Locked thread