Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Danaru posted:

Is it against Knox's Decalogue to kill the detective?

I'm just saying I'd pick Erika over anyone else if I HAD to

Not in words, but I think in spirit. Then again, even Doyle killed off Holmes. Or at least he tried to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'm not sure the detective dying would even be against the spirit. They could always solve the mystery posthumously through notes, tapes, etc.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
My only question is why Kyrie got so hung up on Rudolf.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
he's hot

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Kyrie's an interesting choice here.

Just realized that Jessica's eye colour changed at the end.

idonotlikepeas posted:

My theory of Rudolf and Kyrie as the true murderers gains strength.

The Plank of Carneades is an examination of the nature of self-defense. Carnaedes of Cyrene was a philosopher who lived a couple of thousand years ago and was very concerned with the nature of justice, among other things. The scenario works like this: imagine that you are a shipwrecked sailor. You and another sailor see the same plank, but it can only support one of you. You both swim towards it. The other sailor gets there first and climbs on. You arrive a few seconds later and push him off so you can climb on yourself. He drowns and you survive.

If this happened, would that be considered self-defense? You had to fight with him to save your own life; only one of you could survive. Could you be tried for murder?

I will note that in all my planned and considered scenarios, my explanation for Kyrie's call in the fourth episode always ends up lacking.

Also Beatrice's final riddle, but that's a different thing.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 31, 2017

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

idonotlikepeas posted:

My theory of Rudolf and Kyrie as the true murderers gains strength.

The Plank of Carneades is an examination of the nature of self-defense. Carnaedes of Cyrene was a philosopher who lived a couple of thousand years ago and was very concerned with the nature of justice, among other things. The scenario works like this: imagine that you are a shipwrecked sailor. You and another sailor see the same plank, but it can only support one of you. You both swim towards it. The other sailor gets there first and climbs on. You arrive a few seconds later and push him off so you can climb on yourself. He drowns and you survive.

If this happened, would that be considered self-defense? You had to fight with him to save your own life; only one of you could survive. Could you be tried for murder?

I really, really hope that's not true. Did Rudolf really have it in him to kill Battler, or allow Kyrie, his real mother, to kill him? What will Ange do when she finds out? She'll lose everything: hope that her family will return, and hope in her family, period.

Also, that analogy always makes me think of Titanic. There was plenty of room on that debris, Rose. :colbert:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Man those are some spooky lizard eyes, Jessica.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Should I be reading anything into the fact that Kyrie kept saying "18 years" when Rudolf and Asumu were only married for 12 years? Maybe that Kyrie just today learned something that brought her hell to an end, something concerning Battler's real mother?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I kinda want to hear Jessica's voice for her last line

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
A video is coming next update, with lots of Violence Jessica in it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
yeah!! god bless.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.

ZiegeDame posted:

Should I be reading anything into the fact that Kyrie kept saying "18 years" when Rudolf and Asumu were only married for 12 years? Maybe that Kyrie just today learned something that brought her hell to an end, something concerning Battler's real mother?

12 years of marriage + 6 years of Rudolf two-timing them before marriage, maybe?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Rune Full Moon posted:

12 years of marriage + 6 years of Rudolf two-timing them before marriage, maybe?

I'm reasonably sure 6 years before the marriage Rudolf was in high school

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

ZiegeDame posted:

I think the 6 years are post-Asumu—according to Ange's recollection of the diary, Kyrie resented Battler for what he represented. She does a great job of hiding it, though.

Also, upon re-reading, whaaaaat is this supposed to mean? Is she seriously talking about Bernkastel? Did that not strike Jessica as a SUPER WEIRD thing to say? Now I'm definitely not too hung up on Jessica not noticing Shkanon.

quote:

"And I'm grateful to my master... for giving me that chance. My 'certain willpower' in not giving up on that man no matter what was answered with a 'miracle'."

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 31, 2017

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Jesus Christ Rudolf, so he probably killed his wife and swapped Battler for the dead baby to keep up this awful grip on Kyrie. But thats history now, Jessica is going Higurashi on Kyrie right now. I feel like the Answers arc in this, unlike Higurashi, is only going to get more brutal as it goes on. As long as theres no Rokkenjima syndrome parasites controlling everyone I'm all for it though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

witchcore ricepunk posted:

I think the 6 years are post-Asumu—according to Ange's recollection of the diary, Kyrie resented Battler for what he represented. She does a great job of hiding it, though.

Also, upon re-reading, whaaaaat is this supposed to mean? Is she seriously talking about Bernkastel? Did that not strike Jessica as a SUPER WEIRD thing to say? Now I'm definitely not too hung up on Jessica not noticing Shkanon.

Certainty is its own miracle

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Rodyle posted:

Certainty is its own miracle

Probably FabulousVillain's theory only makes sense if that quote is Kyrie talking about Rudolf in like a sex slave way? Not totally unfeasible but eughh

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Also, upon re-reading, whaaaaat is this supposed to mean? Is she seriously talking about Bernkastel?

No. She's talking about Lambdadelta. :witch:

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Probably FabulousVillain's theory only makes sense if that quote is Kyrie talking about Rudolf in like a sex slave way? Not totally unfeasible but eughh

I thought that quote was about the Witch she referred to back in Episode 3, which she said was herself not unlike the witch Eva made of herself as a child. Or maybe it was Lambdadelta, the Witch of Certainty.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
don't kinkshame Kirie

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Well, we'd gotten hints previously that Rudolf was not a great guy but I don't think we'd heard about him running scams. Though I'm confused as to how "party tickets" are a scam - it sounds like he threw a party, and charged people to come, and it was a great party, and where does the scam come in?

Also, as far as Rudolf being terrible - we're seeing this through Kyries eyes, and she has her own opinions. What we actually have is a guy who was attracted to a lot of women, and who a lot of women were attracted to, and who slept around a lot, and it sounds like he was very open about this. None of which is a problem. Even with Kyrie and Asumu having kids they both knew about each other. He's not a scumbag until after he got married and kept sleeping with Kyrie.

Also come on Jessica, you are being silly. Kyrie was willing to kill to marry a man who she'd loved for years. You are willing to kill for someone you've loved for, uh, days? The game has done a pretty terrible job of selling the Jessica/Kanon relationship, unlike George and Shanon.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Word, it's not like anything nonconsensual was going on so whatever. Just an extreme lack of chill all around. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Too bad Kyrie never lived to jam out to Brandy & Monica. (She's definitely the Brandy in this situation imo.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va1Y6uAgNJY

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 31, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I forgot Kyrie mentioned that. I'd mentally marked it down for later rechecking, but other things had taken precedence by the end.

Qrr posted:

Well, we'd gotten hints previously that Rudolf was not a great guy but I don't think we'd heard about him running scams. Though I'm confused as to how "party tickets" are a scam - it sounds like he threw a party, and charged people to come, and it was a great party, and where does the scam come in?

Also, as far as Rudolf being terrible - we're seeing this through Kyries eyes, and she has her own opinions. What we actually have is a guy who was attracted to a lot of women, and who a lot of women were attracted to, and who slept around a lot, and it sounds like he was very open about this. None of which is a problem. Even with Kyrie and Asumu having kids they both knew about each other. He's not a scumbag until after he got married and kept sleeping with Kyrie.

Also come on Jessica, you are being silly. Kyrie was willing to kill to marry a man who she'd loved for years. You are willing to kill for someone you've loved for, uh, days? The game has done a pretty terrible job of selling the Jessica/Kanon relationship, unlike George and Shanon.

What Rudolf sounds like he was doing monetarily was scalping tickets, and it may not have been his party (parties? sounds like this happened more than once) either.

I think Kyrie was mainly referring to the part where Rudolf kept playing them off against each other for his own amusement.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Cyouni posted:

What Rudolf sounds like he was doing monetarily was scalping tickets, and it may not have been his party (parties? sounds like this happened more than once) either.

I think Kyrie was mainly referring to the part where Rudolf kept playing them off against each other for his own amusement.

Scalping is kind of rude but I wouldn't call it a scam. Also, "would make a large scale party successful" sure sounds like they're his parties.

And good point, playing them against each other is a jerk move.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Qrr posted:

Scalping is kind of rude but I wouldn't call it a scam. Also, "would make a large scale party successful" sure sounds like they're his parties.

And good point, playing them against each other is a jerk move.

From a quick search, apparently there's a law regarding second-hand trading in Japan that you can be arrested for, though I have no idea when that law originated. Possibly also selling double tickets, but it's hard to see how he'd get away with it afterwards. Honestly, the range of things that could be done that'd also be considered borderline scams/illegal is pretty large.

Good point, it's definitely more likely to be his parties than other peoples', which might also make it easier for him to get away with whatever he was doing.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Qrr posted:

Though I'm confused as to how "party tickets" are a scam

Not really sure, but a quick google search suggests it's about political fundraising parties

Well, not necessarily, just that term appears on the Wikipedia page for fundraising parties

Actually the more I think about it, it's probably unrelated

tiistai fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 31, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Battler is most definitely Kyrie's son. Also Kyrie and Rudolf likely planned some heinous poo poo for this family conference, and I'm sure that Battler was in some way complicit with it.

And yet...

Tired Moritz posted:

don't kinkshame Kirie

agreed.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

No. Obviously that's a totally normal thing for a person to say. Nothing weird going on there. Not at all.

E: To analyse this a bit further:

ProfessorProf posted:

"And I'm grateful to my master... for giving me that chance. My 'certain willpower' in not giving up on that man no matter what was answered with a 'miracle'."

Based on the previous sentence, "that man" is clearly Rudolf. But simply through phrasing, "that man" and "my master" seem like two different people. If Lambda were a real person, I'd say she'd be the obvious choice here, but as she's not... Kinzo? He's big on willpower and chances.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 31, 2017

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

CottonWolf posted:

No. Obviously that's a totally normal thing for a person to say. Nothing weird going on there. Not at all.

E: To analyse this a bit further:

Based on the previous sentence, "that man" is clearly Rudolf. But simply through phrasing, "that man" and "my master" seem like two different people. If Lambda were a real person, I'd say she'd be the obvious choice here, but as she's not... Kinzo? He's big on willpower and chances.

I mean, we're left with no guarantees any of this is actually happening. Remember, by the rules of our Braun tube test, none of this is verified, and we can call it as not having happened.

The actual answer would be Bern, given the whole mention of 'miracle'. Technically Kinzo is viable and the most likely result if we accept this as real, but just like George v. EVA, not a thing except for the end result. Speaking of that, I notice that the end result of Eva's death was one that left no markings. Poison/drugs, perhaps, or faking it, in the same vein as the first twilight in the fifth episode?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cyouni posted:

I mean, we're left with no guarantees any of this is actually happening. Remember, by the rules of our Braun tube test, none of this is verified, and we can call it as not having happened.

The actual answer would be Bern, given the whole mention of 'miracle'. Technically Kinzo is viable and the most likely result if we accept this as real, but just like George v. EVA, not a thing except for the end result. Speaking of that, I notice that the end result of Eva's death was one that left no markings. Poison/drugs, perhaps, or faking it, in the same vein as the first twilight in the fifth episode?

R07 deliberately throws in a 'certain' and 'miracle' in there, so it'd be impossible to tell if it was Bern or Lambda, if Witches were involved. I'd wait till they find the corpse to be sure there are no markings, but yeah, drugs very much seem on the cards given the first twilight from the 4th episode. What with everyone passing out then appearing elsewhere.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

CottonWolf posted:

If Lambda were a real person, I'd say she'd be the obvious choice here, but as she's not...

You say this as if we're not in a scene where Jessica is about to use her magically-enhanced fists to punch a hole through Kyrie.

I wanna root for Kyrie here but it'd kinda spoil the drama of the contest is Jessica was one of the first victims. Also none of the cousins have ever died in the first Twilight which might be significant.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

CottonWolf posted:

R07 deliberately throws in a 'certain' and 'miracle' in there, so it'd be impossible to tell if it was Bern or Lambda, if Witches were involved. I'd wait till they find the corpse to be sure there are no markings, but yeah, drugs very much seem on the cards given the first twilight from the 4th episode. What with everyone passing out then appearing elsewhere.

Rechecking the Tanabata tip, the 'willpower to certainly succeed' is definitely in there, so up in the air, I suppose.

Reminder that the only point of contact that was actually confirmed from that group in the 4th episode was Kyrie, who specifically mentioned magic going on. Krauss is also theoretically possible, but given how his section mentions Kinzo being the culprit, I'm kind of leery about that. The others being Shannon/Kanon/Nanjo makes that hard to confirm as well.

ZiegeDame posted:

You say this as if we're not in a scene where Jessica is about to use her magically-enhanced fists to punch a hole through Kyrie.

I wanna root for Kyrie here but it'd kinda spoil the drama of the contest is Jessica was one of the first victims. Also none of the cousins have ever died in the first Twilight which might be significant.

It would be highly amusing if Kyrie went all 3rd episode again and whoops there goes one of the contest participants. I do notice that Eva/Kyrie/Shannon/Kanon/Jessica/George would make for quite a possible first twilight.

Also I assume you're not counting the 5th game which had George and Jessica dead (but later on from when they were shown).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZiegeDame posted:

I'm reasonably sure 6 years before the marriage Rudolf was in high school

No because Ruldolf is around 40.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

MonsterEnvy posted:

No because Ruldolf is around 40.

40-18-6=16

So Rudolf could be as old as 42 and still not possibly know Kyrie/Asumu six years prior to Battler being born.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

ZiegeDame posted:

40-18-6=16

So Rudolf could be as old as 42 and still not possibly know Kyrie/Asumu six years prior to Battler being born.
I'm pretty certain the "six years" is reference to Battler leaving the family for that amount of time, as others have stated. Kyrie's hell was 18 years long because you have to account for the time Rudolf and Asumu were married, alongside the time Battler vanished from the family (meaning Asumu's influence still lingered, as Rudolf's family was incomplete because of this.) There's really no reference to how long Kyrie and Rudolf exactly knew each other before Rudolf began two-timing them simultaneously.

Point is Rudolf was definitely not in high school when all this poo poo went down. I said it before, but I'll say it again: he knew what he was doing and age doesn't excuse his despicable actions. Even his daughter is disgusted by him.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

lotus circle posted:

I'm pretty certain the "six years" is reference to Battler leaving the family for that amount of time, as others have stated. Kyrie's hell was 18 years long because you have to account for the time Rudolf and Asumu were married, alongside the time Battler vanished from the family (meaning Asumu's influence still lingered, as Rudolf's family was incomplete because of this.) There's really no reference to how long Kyrie and Rudolf exactly knew each other before Rudolf began two-timing them simultaneously.

Point is Rudolf was definitely not in high school when all this poo poo went down. I said it before, but I'll say it again: he knew what he was doing and age doesn't excuse his despicable actions. Even his daughter is disgusted by him.

Well we also have a specific note that the 18th year was when Asumu died.

"Asumu's death had not been a murder of any sort. However, Kyrie had often cursed her and hoped for her death, and finally, on the 18th year, she had built up the determination to kill her with her own hands. And then, she actually... got herself a knife to do the deed with... That was when the miracle had occurred..."

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Cyouni posted:

Well we also have a specific note that the 18th year was when Asumu died.

"Asumu's death had not been a murder of any sort. However, Kyrie had often cursed her and hoped for her death, and finally, on the 18th year, she had built up the determination to kill her with her own hands. And then, she actually... got herself a knife to do the deed with... That was when the miracle had occurred..."

Looks like they're playing up the "childhood friends" angle in a very horrific way. Imagine being strung along for that long.

This has myself asking, though, has Rudolf actually settled down after getting married to Kyrie, or does he have another mistress on-hand like with Asumu?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Qrr posted:

my guess is he artificially creates a shortage of tickets, jacking up their prices.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.
iirc, we don't have an official age for Rudolf beyond "older than Rosa (who is 35-36) and younger than Eva (???)," correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Rune Full Moon posted:

iirc, we don't have an official age for Rudolf beyond "older than Rosa (who is 35-36) and younger than Eva (???)," correct?

The oldest Rosa can possibly be is 34, as she was still in middle school (grades 7-9) when she met Beatrice in 1967.

e: and judging by her 1967-sprite, I'd guess she's closer to 33 or younger

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 1, 2017

• Locked thread