Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Just have automatic suspensions for beanballs outside 1 foot of the zone or at head height. Intent shouldnt matter, this is dangerous behavior that needs to be punished.

There's a difference between a curve not breaking and a 4 seamer to the shoulder though. Automatically suspending based on placement doesn't seem right to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

I don't disagree the suspension could be a few more games, but I don't see it as some unbelievable malicious act. That's all. He wasn't trying to injure the guy.

I don't think many of us here think he was trying to injure Harper, just that his reason for doing this is so blindingly stupid as to make it indefensible. MLB pitchers are good enough that they can put a ball between a guys numbers and "send a message" or whatever they're trying to do, and clearly not be trying to injure the guy.

The ironic thing is that most injuries that happen from HBPs are just balls thrown inside that get away from the pitcher and hit a hand or forearm, and that of course should not be punished except by awarding the base (I'm still sorry about Springer last year guys)>

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

RCarr posted:

I don't disagree the suspension could be a few more games, but I don't see it as some unbelievable malicious act. That's all. He wasn't trying to injure the guy.

Except Strickland doesn't have inch-perfect control of his fastball (as can be seen by the fact that he gave up two middle-middle fastballs to Harper to start this whole loving thing off) so he could easily have missed the hip and got Harper in, for example, the forearm, which is much more dangerous. He might not have been trying to injure him intentionally, but he didn't give a gently caress that it could have been an unintended consequence.

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

MLB should do the Giants a favor and suspend Strickland for the rest of the year, because :lol: if Bobby Evans would get rid of him.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

Changing the culture has to start somewhere. That's why you don't have 80's style fights in the NBA anymore, they forced a culture change

I would give anything to bring 80's style NBA fights back.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

I don't think many of us here think he was trying to injure Harper, just that his reason for doing this is so blindingly stupid as to make it indefensible. MLB pitchers are good enough that they can put a ball between a guys numbers and "send a message" or whatever they're trying to do, and clearly not be trying to injure the guy.

The ironic thing is that most injuries that happen from HBPs are just balls thrown inside that get away from the pitcher and hit a hand or forearm, and that of course should not be punished except by awarding the base (I'm still sorry about Springer last year guys)>

Whether he was trying to injure Harper or not doesn't matter in this instance. You see guys break their hands on fastballs that aren't meant to be bean balls because a ball thrown at 98 MPH is actually really hard to get out of the way of. All it takes is Harper making a check swing and he could have taken that bean ball in a bad spot and be out for half a season. Strickland doesn't get to decide how Harper reacts to the pitch. It's like if I punch you when you're not expecting it and you pass out it doesn't matter that I wasn't intending to knock you out.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I can't remember if anyone shared this before, but Grant Brisbee has two different article over the fight and, of course, they're both worth reading.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Look at Strickland making the newbie mistake of closing his eyes while throwing a punch

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Explosionface posted:

I can't remember if anyone shared this before, but Grant Brisbee has two different article over the fight and, of course, they're both worth reading.

quote:

Bryce Harper got 30 plate appearances vs. the Giants in 2015. Which means there were 30 chances for various teammates to settle the score. Jean Machi faced Harper when the Giants were behind 9-2 with the bases empty in the eighth. George Kontos faced him when the Giants were leading 10-5 with the bases empty in the seventh. Strickland did not face Harper because Bruce Bochy was trying to win.

Bahahaha

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Dickey and Bartolo are probably toast, huh?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bartolo's mission was the play until Turner Field bit the dust, then dance on its grave by being poo poo for the team that occupied it

Mission accomplished

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Yeah sure like we needed his help

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Joey Freshwater posted:

Dickey and Bartolo are probably toast, huh?

Bartolo can never be bad, even if he's bad.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The AL is better than the NL, and also their ASG voting, too.

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/869945089648455680

Go Judge, go! :toot:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

https://twitter.com/MLB_PR/status/869945089648455680

Go Judge, go! :toot:

Holy poo poo Sano :stare:

I didn't expect him to be even close, even though he deserves it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That's nice, only the Yankees have two starters and the rest is spread around between teams.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
It's a lot more reasonable than the NL, though Castro definitely shouldn't be starting over Altuve.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Julio Cruz posted:

It's a lot more reasonable than the NL, though Castro definitely shouldn't be starting over Altuve.

Wrong

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't see him holding onto that lead, I'm actually kind of shocked he's in the top 3, to be honest.

I mean, he's playing amazingly and deserves to be there, but I figured it would be Altuve/Cano/Pedroia.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Categories where Castro leads Altuve:

RBI (by 1)
Batting average (by 2 points)
Singles (by 5)
Strikeouts (by 3)

e: I'll do the ones where Altuve leads Castro but it'll take a lot longer cause there's a lot more of them

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 31, 2017

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Castro should make the team because of his glove

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
what is an abraham almonte?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Albert's at 599 home runs.
V: It's possible, though unlikely, that he might reach 700. Also, he's made up a ton of ground on Beltre in career hits.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

e: I'll do the ones where Altuve leads Castro but it'll take a lot longer cause there's a lot more of them

Games (by 3)
AB (by 1)
PA (by 10)
Doubles (by 3)
Triples (by 2)
Steals (by 10)
Caught stealing (by 2)
Walks (by 8)
GIDP (by 6)
ISO (by 34 points)
OBP (by 25 points)
Slugging (by 33 points)
OPS (by 57 points)
OPS+ (by 10 points)
wOBA (by 21 points)
wRC+ (by 17 points)
WAR (by 1 Fangraphs/0.5 B-R)
oWAR (by 0.1)
dWAR (by 0.3)

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Lol that the Astros aren't going to get a single starter via voting despite being the best team in baseball.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Altuve's great and all, but the real travesty here is how Marwin Gonzalez isn't even on the ballot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ComposerGuy posted:

Lol that the Astros aren't going to get a single starter via voting despite being the best team in baseball.

Same as it's always been unless you're a team from Chicago, LA, or New York.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Altuve's great and all, but the real travesty here is how Marwin Gonzalez isn't even on the ballot.

It goes by opening day starters.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pancakes posted:

N: Albert's at 599 home runs.
V: It's possible, though unlikely, that he might reach 700. Also, he's made up a ton of ground on Beltre in career hits.

If he doesn't reach 700 I will be disappointed. ~should~ only need about 20 a year here on out. Also, Pujols is back, he's mashing in his last 40 PA's :D

He could possibly end his career with 700 2B's, 700 HR's, 2000 RBI, and 3000 Hits if the Angels give him the playing time he needs and he doesn't get hurt again.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

iospace posted:

Same as it's always been unless you're a team from Chicago, LA, or New York.

Francisco Lindor is leading SS by over 300k votes.

Which is still ridiculous, but that's not exactly a coastal city team.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

uhhh the stadium is < 2 miles from a coast.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Inspector_666 posted:

Cleveland is totally a coastal team.

Coast of Lake Erie! :haw:

Point taken though, though I will also mention that they're the reigning AL champs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

If he doesn't reach 700 I will be disappointed. ~should~ only need about 20 a year here on out. Also, Pujols is back, he's mashing in his last 40 PA's :D

He could possibly end his career with 700 2B's, 700 HR's, 2000 RBI, and 3000 Hits if the Angels give him the playing time he needs and he doesn't get hurt again.

He's 37, hitting 100 more HR isn't exactly a gimme

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm not voting for the ASG this year and I hope no Blue Jays go. I'd much rather they get a break than risk being injured or getting the ASG yips and coming back broken like Michael Saunders last year.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Do the Jays still have playoff hopes?

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Okay, new rule. Anytime a batter gets HBP, the batter gets to pick up the ball and whip it as hard as he can back at the pitcher. The pitcher can avoid getting hit by running to the dugout and hiding behind the manager like a small child. If the pitcher gets to the dugout before the batter throws the ball, the batter takes his base and the game goes on. If the batter throws the ball and misses the pitcher, the batter gets ejected. If the batter throws the ball and hits the pitcher, they both get ejected. If the batter throws the ball and the pitcher catches the ball, the pitcher gets a free chance to bean the batter a second time, after which both are ejected. Anybody who interferes with this ritual gets ejected.

There, all problems solved :yayclod:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ComposerGuy posted:

No one really deserves it though tbh

Correa's slow start hurt him a lot

I guess Altuve you can argue

e: *checks stats* ok Altuve definitely deserves it over Castro

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Okay, new rule. Anytime a batter gets HBP, the batter gets to pick up the ball and whip it as hard as he can back at the pitcher. The pitcher can avoid getting hit by running to the dugout and hiding behind the manager like a small child. If the pitcher gets to the dugout before the batter throws the ball, the batter takes his base and the game goes on. If the batter throws the ball and misses the pitcher, the batter gets ejected. If the batter throws the ball and hits the pitcher, they both get ejected. If the batter throws the ball and the pitcher catches the ball, the pitcher gets a free chance to bean the batter a second time, after which both are ejected. Anybody who interferes with this ritual gets ejected.

There, all problems solved :yayclod:

I'd only make one minor alteration, which is that if the pitcher catches the ball and throws it back, the batter also has a chance to catch the ball and throw it back in turn. This game of high stakes catch continues on until somebody misses (in which case they are ejected) or somebody gets hit (in which case both are ejected).

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Everyone is missing the most important part of this Strickland-Harper situation: the Giants still lost (and lost again the next day), and now sit 11.5 games back of the first place Dodgers.

In unrelated news, the Dodgers have won 6 straight against the Cubs and Cardinals. They have the best run differential in baseball at +87

https://twitter.com/McCulloughTimes/status/869769694756184064

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Altuve is definitely a no brainer at this point.

Correa and Lindor are neck and neck. One should start, the other as a backup. I'm fine with that.

No one else on the Astros deserves it. Other than Altuve we don't have a clear best player at that position at the AL...just a bunch of 2nd-5th bests.

Keuchel and McCullers will easily make it. That may be the only four players we get in the All Star game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I would have said maybe Devenski before his recent implosion, but you pretty much have to be a closer to make it as a reliever

How's the view from 4 games back, Dodgers? :grin:

e: Oh and I wonder if Marwin will get any love when they fill out the bench

.304/.397/.624 :cmon:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 31, 2017

• Locked thread