Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kikkoman posted:

Kind of a historical question: back in the eighties when people had 20%+ interest rates, were amortization schedules planned over 25-30 years? I tried googling the evolution of amortization lengths and came up short. Maybe I wasn't searching with the right words.

I'm told my parents bought their first place in '82, on like a <5 year amortization. The down payment was on the order of 50%, purchase price about $80,000.

The same property last sold in 2014 for $600,000. Structure of the house looks the same, though there is now a separate garage that I don't think existed at the time.

I'm actually curious to pull the full title and verify all of this, but not about to spend :10bux:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

With hydro rates the way they are? You're better off investing in a YETI cooler

The quest for the best price is strong with eastern europeans.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
When the CFB at Chatham closed, they gave everyone working there the option of going to whatever base they wanted, essentially. My parents chose the base at Comox, and we moved there in 1992, when I was three and my brother was one.

They bought the place there for around $80k, and I THINK they sold it for around $85-90k in 1998 when we moved to Mission.

http://homesincomoxvalley.com/mylistings.html/details-34038568

It sold in 2014 for $255,000. I don't know how much prices there have appreciated since then, but that's in loving Courtenay

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The military helps pay for housing if you have to sell at a loss, this should be funded by taking a chunk of the profits if you sell at a huge gain.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Baronjutter posted:

The military helps pay for housing if you have to sell at a loss, this should be funded by taking a chunk of the profits if you sell at a huge gain.

Do you believe in removing employment benefits for everybody or just for the people who put their LIFE ON THE LINE for your freedom?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

They actually bought all the houses that belonged to the people who worked at the base for (I believe, I'd have to ask my mom to be sure) what they paid for them, since it was such a huge chunk of the population they were like "ehhh no one is going to be able to sell these at all".

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

HookShot posted:

When the CFB at Chatham closed, they gave everyone working there the option of going to whatever base they wanted, essentially. My parents chose the base at Comox, and we moved there in 1992, when I was three and my brother was one.

They bought the place there for around $80k, and I THINK they sold it for around $85-90k in 1998 when we moved to Mission.

http://homesincomoxvalley.com/mylistings.html/details-34038568

It sold in 2014 for $255,000. I don't know how much prices there have appreciated since then, but that's in loving Courtenay

Courteney has gotten really, really bad the last couple of years. I've mentioned the wierdness of a vast number of timeshare condos before, but prices are also approaching lower mainland crazy and rents are as bad as Vancouver now.

And we both know how little economy that town has aside from the base...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Rime posted:

Courteney has gotten really, really bad the last couple of years. I've mentioned the wierdness of a vast number of timeshare condos before, but prices are also approaching lower mainland crazy and rents are as bad as Vancouver now.

And we both know how little economy that town has aside from the base...

It always was pretty bad, though?

Oh, you meant in terms of housing prices... :v:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Do you believe in removing employment benefits for everybody or just for the people who put their LIFE ON THE LINE for your freedom?

To be fair, a LAV3 rolled the other day. RIP that commander. Spousal benefits will probably take 2 years to start.

ed: I take that back, it's probably going through PHOENIX so like 5 years

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

cowofwar posted:

Remember the empty warehouses (not) full of copper?

https://twitter.com/fivre604/status/869961429616427009

https://twitter.com/joewong6042/status/870007546391613442

lol

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Ever wanted to live in a 2.5 million stucco bungalow? Learn the one weird trick banks want you to know!

its forgery

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

The military helps pay for housing if you have to sell at a loss

There's a bit of moral hazard to be sure, but I don't think it's anywhere near what you'd expect. It's the treasury board that makes determinations for claims past 10-15k or so, and they're reject almost all of the applications they receive. I've talked to a few people who just have the attitude of 'well I lost 20k on my last house but I made 30 on the one before that so I guess it works out in the end'. A lot of the benefits push people towards home ownership (buying down interest, some brokerage/legal fees covered) but even some of that is being cut back (no more reimbursement of mortgage breaking penalties, more difficult to go on IR). Between that, the fact that a lot of people tend to remain in the first term of a mortgage due to constant moves (ie, when more of a payment goes toward interest), and thinking that "sell price - buy price = profit", housing is a losing proposition for most but isn't seen as such.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

quote:

Similar arguments have been put forward to explain Toronto’s house prices. An article in the Globe and Mail sums it up: “Mortgage rates are low. Ontario’s economy is superheated … and, to make matters worse, land is in short supply,” according to the piece. “Politicians and tenants’ groups have declared a housing affordability crisis—again—and have called for a tax on speculators’ profits to cool down the frenzy.” The article continues, “Dark words are muttered about how foreign money is to blame.” Other reasons are cited, too: Toronto is becoming a “world class” city and “acts like a magnet for thousands of migrants from elsewhere in Canada and overseas.” Instead of stocks, “owning a house is now the investment of choice for most of the middle class.” The unlucky masses priced out of the city are looking as far afield as Barrie, Ont. for a home.
It’s probably worth mentioning this article was published in 1988—just before the crash. Yes, all of the same arguments we hear today were made nearly 30 years ago on the eve of a painful real estate correction. So are we doomed to repeat history?

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/why-every-housing-bubble-looks-like-the-new-normal/

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
"I have a warehouse full of copper, but it's in China" is like the financial fraud version of "I have a girlfriend, but she lives in Canada."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Butcher posted:

"I have a warehouse full of copper, but it's in China" is like the financial fraud version of "I have a girlfriend, but she lives in Canada."

"My uncle works at the Fed."

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Risky Bisquick posted:

To be fair, a LAV3 rolled the other day. RIP that commander. Spousal benefits will probably take 2 years to start.

ed: I take that back, it's probably going through PHOENIX so like 5 years

Military isn't on Phoenix. Best non-decision they ever made.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend commands a LAV3 or what ever, I was worried it was him but he's not a gently caress up so seemed low.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

There's a bit of moral hazard to be sure, but I don't think it's anywhere near what you'd expect. It's the treasury board that makes determinations for claims past 10-15k or so, and they're reject almost all of the applications they receive. I've talked to a few people who just have the attitude of 'well I lost 20k on my last house but I made 30 on the one before that so I guess it works out in the end'. A lot of the benefits push people towards home ownership (buying down interest, some brokerage/legal fees covered) but even some of that is being cut back (no more reimbursement of mortgage breaking penalties, more difficult to go on IR). Between that, the fact that a lot of people tend to remain in the first term of a mortgage due to constant moves (ie, when more of a payment goes toward interest), and thinking that "sell price - buy price = profit", housing is a losing proposition for most but isn't seen as such.

Source? I need to share this with some of my military friends who are seriously looking at houses with the military as a fall back plan to protect against losses.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The stunning amenities afforded to you for only $750,000 + $400+/month in strata fees!

Suck it down, rentailures. :chord:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

is that like for your dog to cool down when it's hot?

lol no diving

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This services an entire 3 tower, 400+ unit complex btw.

I think my job is grinding out whatever hope I had left in life. :saddowns:

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 1, 2017

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Rime posted:

This services an entire 3 tower, 400+ unit complex btw.

I think my job is grinding out whatever hope I had left in life. :saddowns:

We were looking at a place in Calgary and one of the amenities advertised was a car wash.

Brochures had one of those pressure wash bays with a full enclosure and everything.

When built it was a garden hose near a stall in the garage that the condo board ended up saying no one could use because the drain was far away and the chemicals would ruin the concrete. They put a lock on the tap.

Condos are poo poo.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

quaint bucket posted:

Source? I need to share this with some of my military friends who are seriously looking at houses with the military as a fall back plan to protect against losses.

Mobile posting/holding a babby so I can't go too much into detail, but if you google Maj Marcus Brauer or MWO Neil Dodsworth, you can find some information on the topic as it relates to their stories (ie, treasury board compensation differs from military compensation, and they don't like to pay out).

Mortgage breaking penalties used to be a benefit provided by Brookfield (the relocation contractor used by the government) but stopped being covered a few years ago. It made a very minor ripple in the news at the time, but this is the first source I found for it. Looks like there were some other benefits cut as well, and others were considered taxable. The current list of things covered can probably be found on brookfield's website.

One of the pots of money is used for a bunch of misc expenses (utility connection fees, hotels past a certain cost threshhold, etc) but whatever's not used can be cashed out - directly to an RRSP if the room exists, otherwise it's taxable income - OR used to buy down interest on a mortgage. Unless your friends love where they live, have 25 year contracts in critically manned trades and can drug deal their way staying put for a decade or two, taking the cash is probably better.

e. for clarity

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 1, 2017

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Rime posted:

The stunning amenities afforded to you for only $750,000 + $400+/month in strata fees!

Suck it down, rentailures. :chord:

Lol thank you for the good on the ground/up in the concrete skycage updates Rime. It's good poo poo.

Is there actually a much bigger pool just out of frame to the left and you are just pranking us with the kiddie pool?

Also! Is this one of the newer buildings on the Evergreen extension in Coquitlam?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My favourite thing about that "pool" is how the deepest it goes is a shade over 3 feet deep. That's like waist deep for me as I'm short as gently caress even for a woman.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

apatheticman posted:

We were looking at a place in Calgary and one of the amenities advertised was a car wash.

Brochures had one of those pressure wash bays with a full enclosure and everything.

When built it was a garden hose near a stall in the garage that the condo board ended up saying no one could use because the drain was far away and the chemicals would ruin the concrete. They put a lock on the tap.

Condos are poo poo.
Everything can change between pre-sale and handover, how do you think all the people who were promised the world felt when they turned up to a garden hose and downgraded interior everythings.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Just due to my price point and preferences I've been doing rentals in early 80's wood frame 3-4 story apt buildings for the last 7 or so years in Van proper and they've all had a garden hose in the parking garage to wash your poo poo with.

I hope whatever dingle writing up the condo promo materials thought to spin that as a "car wash" was rewarded handsomely with a pat on the back and a $10 Starbucks gift card from his supervisor for that breakthrough.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

HookShot posted:

My favourite thing about that "pool" is how the deepest it goes is a shade over 3 feet deep. That's like waist deep for me as I'm short as gently caress even for a woman.

dude.. it's 3 inches

not even enough to get rime's dick wet

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The Butcher posted:

Lol thank you for the good on the ground/up in the concrete skycage updates Rime. It's good poo poo.

Is there actually a much bigger pool just out of frame to the left and you are just pranking us with the kiddie pool?

Also! Is this one of the newer buildings on the Evergreen extension in Coquitlam?

Nah, this is in Richmond. And, no, that's the totality of the pool. Hot tub is the small cube at the end.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

The Butcher posted:

Yeah it's obviously just the kiddie pool next to the real pool you can see to the left, Rime is just having a laugh.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Square Peg posted:

Yeah it's obviously just the kiddie pool next to the real pool you can see to the left, Rime is just having a laugh.

I don't think so, you wouldn't have a steep concrete stair case with sharp corners like that going into a pool or a handrail that's drilled into the concrete at the bottom, they always swoop back like the one on the right. It's a 3" to 3.25 ft pool, seems fun for kids, w/e.

e: actually, it seems terrible for kids, they could fall off the left side. I am a bad parent.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jun 1, 2017

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Square Peg posted:

Nah I'm pretty sure it's a glorified slip 'n slide.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

triplexpac posted:

Saw this one on Twitter earlier, it's fun times

http://torontolife.com/real-estate/parkdale-reno-hell/

"We Bought a Crack House"

I forwarded this to my cousin who wanted to know how hosed this market was and she was like, "that lady both had some work done and was stupid enough not to actually have it done in Korea where the doctors have done 5x the surgeries and do it for half the price", notwithstanding the bad home decisions

My cousin is Korean as gently caress as you can see

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Square Peg posted:

:allears:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I have never wanted to play Pilotwings more in my entire life.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

I stand corrected. I couldn't believe in a pool so lovely, and you've opened my eyes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I giggled and thought of this thread when I walked past this condo going up next door to me. PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Why not just make it a water feature and have a nice patio area goddamn

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I think the bigger question is why would you have an outdoor pool literally anywhere in Canada? Like wheee you can use it for six weeks of the year!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

HookShot posted:

I think the bigger question is why would you have an outdoor pool literally anywhere in Canada? Like wheee you can use it for six weeks of the year!!!

You install it in your strata so the board members get the kickback from the pool company that signed a 5-10 year maintenance deal with.