Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I feel like Breath of the Wild must be a huge swathe of peoples first real foray into open world games because otherwise I dont know why youd put up with half the stuff the game does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Barudak posted:

I feel like Breath of the Wild must be a huge swathe of peoples first real foray into open world games because otherwise I dont know why youd put up with half the stuff the game does.

It's some kind of combination of it being justification for a WiiU or Switch, Nintendo made it, and the Zelda name. It's a pretty blah game otherwise. Oh it's raining. Gonna stop exploring now for however long it takes this to let up.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

It's some kind of combination of it being justification for a WiiU or Switch, Nintendo made it, and the Zelda name. It's a pretty blah game otherwise. Oh it's raining. Gonna stop exploring now for however long it takes this to let up.

... much exploring does not require climbing

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

And there's a lot of areas that literally never get rain.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Maxwell Lord posted:

... much exploring does not require climbing

If it took me ten minutes to mosey towards a mountain and I'm already 3/4s of the way up no way in hell am I going back down and doing it again because it rained.

As for places without rain I didn't know that. I put the game down pretty early because Persona came out.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The game's also fairly forgiving on what requires climbing. Inclines can get pretty steep before you're using any stamina so I'm not sure what situation this is where you cannot make any progress at all in rain.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Maxwell Lord posted:

The game's also fairly forgiving on what requires climbing. Inclines can get pretty steep before you're using any stamina so I'm not sure what situation this is where you cannot make any progress at all in rain.

Apparently one I didn't need to be in? Sorry I said negative things about Zelda but that was my experience with rain. If I was climbing it was just time to switch over to a cell phone game.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Don't worry, the game accommodated for that too. If you get bored of the side content or main story content there is literally nothing stopping you from walking up to Hyrule Castle, killing Gannon and finishing the game.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Zinkraptor posted:

I like BotW and I'll probably get around to finishing it one day but it is a game filled to the brim with little annoyances. I don't think anyone would've minded if they put in a UI for cooking, for example, or let you sort ingredients at all.

You can sort ingredients, though? :confused:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i have issues with breath of the wild but the size of the map absolutely is not one of them

botw gives me massive flashbacks to phantom pain and these are two of my absolute favorite open world games i've ever played

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Caphi posted:

You can sort ingredients, though? :confused:

I'm sorry, I should've specified manual sorting because I'm the sort of weirdo that does that sometimes. Mostly because I like having frequently used stuff together rather than have stuff just by category.

Unless that's also a thing, in which case WHOOPS (I don't think it is though).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Len posted:

the broken brains on this forum i swear to god

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

If it took me ten minutes to mosey towards a mountain and I'm already 3/4s of the way up no way in hell am I going back down and doing it again because it rained.

As for places without rain I didn't know that. I put the game down pretty early because Persona came out.

My favorite BotW moment was when I was doing a quest that required me to light a string of torches. It started raining, which extinguished the flaming mop I was using to light them so I thought "welp" and went off to make a sandwich. When I came back to the game it was clear out, so I lit my mop and started heading for the next torch only for it to immediately start raining again. This wasn't scripted or anything, the game just really loves engaging its "no fun allowed" mode.

I had plenty of exploration shut down by rain too. I mean yeah, there are things you can still climb when it's raining but plenty of others you can't which are presumably the ones people are complaining about. I guess you could go hunt for special rain crickets or whatever if you're a person who somehow finds it possible to care about that sort of thing. I liked the game, but it is chock full of petty annoyances, rain probably being the worst.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing that really bugs me about Breath of the Wild is that there's no way I could find most of the stuff in the game without a guide. Like, if I just wanted to beat the game I could, but I really want to at least do all of the shrines, and most of the sidequests, since some of the best content in the game is hidden away in random places. I get that it would kill the great feeling of exploration I had in the first 60-70 hours if it went full Witcher 3 with it, but it's kind of annoying to have to play with a faq open on a tablet next to me all the time.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get heat for this but another issue with Breath of the Wild, is that I kind of found the world to be so big - that it gets kind of forgettable. Like I don't remember where anything is - and nothing really sticks out from memory.
Like for example I find the kakariko village from Twilight Princess more memorable than the one in Breath of the Wild - despite the later having a lot more to do than the former and being more bright and colorful.
A lot of the enemies are pretty forgettable too. Pretty much any enemy that isn't a big gently caress you enemy that will destroy you if you gently caress about (which are one of the strong points of the game - especially after coming from TP HD) kind of just blend into each other.

Don't get me wrong they have their moments - like when they freak out or when Moblins start chucking dudes and the chameleon's using camouflage to ambush you, and the ninja's disguising themselves as npcs can get pretty funny - but it feels like they just went with the most cliched enemys for the most part, and then they just added skeleton versions too. I think it says something that the ordinary wolves and bears become more exciting to fight because they don't seem to pop up like every three seconds.

Keep in mind though, I really do like Breath of the Wild, I think it's definitely a step in the right direction to prevent the series from getting stale and I absolutely had some pretty good laughs with the game - and I'm hoping the next Zelda does even better.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia is weird.

It's the 15th game in the series that's still an SRPG instead of a Dynasty Warriors-like or a Persona-ish game but since it's a remake of like the second game -made in 1992-, there're oddities they decided to go with to keep it... faithful? I'm gonna go with that.

So, you get two protagonists and they get their own set of units that can fight. Alm's is made up of a lot of people you'd think would have support conversations with him, considering four of them are people he's spent like, his whole life with in his village and then others are members of the resistance. Instead, like only two people can talk with him. Only one of them is from the village btw. I'm guessing that it's because everything is voice-acted that it's like that now. Anyway, very few conversations now, and it bothers me because they had the chance to tweak that for the better and it didn't.

Oh, and also it has a skill system too! What's bizarre and terrible about it is that- okay, you have only one item slot for either a weapon or an item like food or something- if you learn the skill you can only use it if you've still got that weapon equipped. So, if you learn something from an iron sword and you equip a steel one, you can't use any of those skills you just learned with that one.

Also, what looks blah about BOTW to me is that it doesn't have very many ways to fight enemies with. You've got one or two handed weapons, boomerangs, spears, and bows and that's about it, since bombs don't do much damage. Also there's like only five types of enemies.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

A good man.

One of my highlights for W3 was finally being able to tell Yen to gently caress off after the genie business, there wasn't a single scene previous that I can remember where I liked her even a bit.
I played 160+ hours of W3 and DLCs and making Yen all butthurt that I decided to pick Triss instead of her was one also one of my highlights.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RareAcumen posted:

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia is weird.

It's the 15th game in the series that's still an SRPG instead of a Dynasty Warriors-like or a Persona-ish game but since it's a remake of like the second game -made in 1992-, there're oddities they decided to go with to keep it... faithful? I'm gonna go with that.

So, you get two protagonists and they get their own set of units that can fight. Alm's is made up of a lot of people you'd think would have support conversations with him, considering four of them are people he's spent like, his whole life with in his village and then others are members of the resistance. Instead, like only two people can talk with him. Only one of them is from the village btw. I'm guessing that it's because everything is voice-acted that it's like that now. Anyway, very few conversations now, and it bothers me because they had the chance to tweak that for the better and it didn't.

Oh, and also it has a skill system too! What's bizarre and terrible about it is that- okay, you have only one item slot for either a weapon or an item like food or something- if you learn the skill you can only use it if you've still got that weapon equipped. So, if you learn something from an iron sword and you equip a steel one, you can't use any of those skills you just learned with that one.

Also, what looks blah about BOTW to me is that it doesn't have very many ways to fight enemies with. You've got one or two handed weapons, boomerangs, spears, and bows and that's about it, since bombs don't do much damage. Also there's like only five types of enemies.

Agreed on the skill system. I can understand some skills being weapon locked like those of the lightning sword, but others are seemingly locked for no reason. And come on, how cool would it be to be to master the lightning sword so good you can make any sword explode with lightning? :krad: The magic classes get their own character specific abilities, at least let non mages have something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Agreed on the skill system. I can understand some skills being weapon locked like those of the lightning sword, but others are seemingly locked for no reason. And come on, how cool would it be to be to master the lightning sword so good you can make any sword explode with lightning? :krad: The magic classes get their own character specific abilities, at least let non mages have something.

I was really relying on that to make the lack of additional weapons and classes sting a bit less! You've only got like five types of classes available so it'd get old kinda fast without something to spice things up with.

This stuff probably wouldn't be too much of an issue if you could learn skills faster. Or if you could buy weapons? I don't know if you can or can't, I'm not even past chapter 3 yet.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You can upgrade some weapons into other types, but it can be expensive so I hope you are mowing every blade of grass you come across for coins!

Though a few weapons share a skill or two, like the steel sword can be upgraded to a zweihander and keep the sunder skill while gaining new ones.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My favorite complaint about BOTW is when people say you can't climb when it's raining.
YES YOU CAN.
There is a different rhythm you have to get into and it's a bit slower but you can always keep climbing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

My favorite complaint about BOTW is when people say you can't climb when it's raining.
YES YOU CAN.
There is a different rhythm you have to get into and it's a bit slower but you can always keep climbing.

I mean it was just one more thing that made me not have fun with the game.

The others that stand out are:
the tiny inventory
deku balls or whatever the gently caress you have to scavenge to get a bigger inventory
breakable weapons because that's always a fun mechanic
how long it takes to get anywhere across the very pretty open spaces of hyrule

Edit: Like I said I didn't get far because Persona came out and I was far more interested than that so maybe all that changes but at the point where I am it's unfun.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah I've never really had an issue with the rain in BotW and I've played 100s of hours of it at this point. And I like the open world, compared to most open world games it feels very real and there's very few areas that don't have something of interest to stumble across, whether it's a shrine, little puzzle, random NPC, a great view etc. I guess it's just a taste thing, but it feels like a real and logical world to me and I like the way each town has its own architecture. I wish there were a couple more big population hubs, that's my only real issue with the map.

Since this is the things dragging games down thread, though, one thing that does annoy me is that you can't see the upgrade requirements for the outfits without talking to a fairy. There's hundreds of materials and when you have +10 articles of clothing it's hard to remember which frog/mineral/monster parts you're trying to save up and which you can flog for rupees. Actually, the game could really do with a note taking system of some kind so I don't have to have a piece of paper to hand whenever I want to upgrade my climbing boots or whatever.

Edit:

Len posted:

The others that stand out are:
the tiny inventory
deku balls or whatever the gently caress you have to scavenge to get a bigger inventory
breakable weapons because that's always a fun mechanic
how long it takes to get anywhere across the very pretty open spaces of hyrule

The tiny inventory and breakable weapons put me off at first but once you get into it they make sense and stop being a problem - you're supposed to smash weapons up and throw them away without caring and you're quickly inundated with more than you'll ever need anyway. And there are literally 900 deku seeds that you find just by doing things you'd normally do like climbing stuff or lifting rocks so it's pretty easy to expand your inventory. Which is not to say your wrong for not liking it, if you didn't get into it then you didn't get into it and that's cool.

small ghost has a new favorite as of 17:51 on May 31, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The breakable weapons thing is cool if only for the design genius who came up with the idea that chucking a weapon that's just about to break at an enemy creates a sweet explosion.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Werong Bustope posted:

Yeah I've never really had an issue with the rain in BotW and I've played 100s of hours of it at this point. And I like the open world, compared to most open world games it feels very real and there's very few areas that don't have something of interest to stumble across, whether it's a shrine, little puzzle, random NPC, a great view etc. I guess it's just a taste thing, but it feels like a real and logical world to me and I like the way each town has its own architecture. I wish there were a couple more big population hubs, that's my only real issue with the map.

Since this is the things dragging games down thread, though, one thing that does annoy me is that you can't see the upgrade requirements for the outfits without talking to a fairy. There's hundreds of materials and when you have +10 articles of clothing it's hard to remember which frog/mineral/monster parts you're trying to save up and which you can flog for rupees. Actually, the game could really do with a note taking system of some kind so I don't have to have a piece of paper to hand whenever I want to upgrade my climbing boots or whatever.

Same. Reading a lot of the criticisms in the posts a ways above makes we wonder if I'm playing the same game as these guys, but I'm not going to argue with them since that's not what this thread is about.

I definitely don't love how fairies stop talking to you when you've upgraded the last piece of equipment you have items for. Tell me what else I need before diving back in your pool! Also the Shiekah tracker can be a little finicky.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The thing still dragging down STRAFE: Despite being fundamentally solid, with extremely good movement and music, surprisingly good procgen levels, and serviceable gunplay by this point, the actual roguelike elements of this game are so underdeveloped there's no point to play it again after you win once, despite that being the whole loving point of the roguelike genre.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Inzombiac posted:

YES YOU CAN.

I havent played it (dont have a switch), but in all fairness quite often when a lot of people think the same wrong thing about a games mechanics I feel it is legitimately the games fault for not clearly communicating a mechanic well enough. Sometimes its because a game does something like explain a mechanic in the starting tutorial, but then doesnt require you to use the mechanic for the first half of the game. By the time you need to use it to progress you've either totally forgotten it exists, or at the very least forgotten exactly what combination of buttons you need. Other times the mechanic is a little fussy, so people try it once, fail (for whatever reason) and assume "oh, you cant do that/thats not what I'm supposed to do here". Sometimes its just people being oblivious, but a lot of the time the game could do a better job of explaining the mechanic.

As I say, I cant speak specifically to the BOTW example, but for example in "Let It Die" on the PS4 (a ftp loot based action... um... sort of dungeon crawl RPG I guess? With RPG leveling elements at least) I got a gun as a daily log in reward on the first day I played. The game told me how to manually reload. I used the gun til it ran out or broke or whatever, then didnt get a particularly useful gun for ages (the game is largely melee based, the common ranged weapon on the lower floors of the tower is the fireworks launcher which is pretty much trash). By the time I found a gun I actually wanted to use I had totally forgotten you could manually reload, and even when I found out I couldnt get it to work for ages. (for the record, I think the tutorial message says "press X and the attack button for the hand the gun is held in" or something. I thought you had to press both simultainiously, but actually you HOLD X and press the relevant trigger). Similarly, lots of people (including me) didnt remember you could press down on the D-pad to view the map because its thrown in between tutorial messages which are more immediately urgent (how to fight and avoid dying basically) so its not a priority.

There are other games too, but thats the example that springs to mind because I've been playing it a lot recently. Similarly in Yakuza 0 I didnt know until someone in the PS4 thread offhandedly mentioned it that you could use the weapons you have equipped by pressing down on the d-pad. You equip weapons and protective items, but the protective items give a passive defence bonus, I thought it was a bit weird but assumed the weapons gave a passive attack bonus. In fallout 3 it was fairly common for people not to realise that you had a flashlight (it was a loading screen tip and in the manual, but a lot of people still missed it). These are games I like, but still, could have explained some mechanics better (for example when you go to leave the vault at the start of FO3 they could have had a section in the dark and pop up a "hold B to activate flashlight" tip pop up while it was relevant to the current situation.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Professor Wayne posted:

I definitely don't love how fairies stop talking to you when you've upgraded the last piece of equipment you have items for. Tell me what else I need before diving back in your pool!
You can call them back up and they'll be like "well I can't upgrade anything for you but should I take a look anyway?"

If you want to exploit the climbing mechanics, you slide after every fifth (I think) step or every jump, so if you go step-step-step-step-jump, you'll slide, but it'll be a net gain in height. At that point it becomes a matter of having enough stamina.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

My Lovely Horse posted:

You can call them back up and they'll be like "well I can't upgrade anything for you but should I take a look anyway?"
You shouldn't have to. They're rude for ending the conversation early.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Paper Diamonds posted:

I played 160+ hours of W3 and DLCs and making Yen all butthurt that I decided to pick Triss instead of her was one also one of my highlights.

I don't have a problem with Yennifer, because (in my interpretation at least) the basis of her relationship with Geralt is that they're both emotionally-stunted weirdos from being nigh-immortal.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The breaking weapons thing in BotW really turned me off at the beginning, especially since the progression at the beginning of the game is basically wake up -> beat things with sticks that are continually breaking -> see a cool sword in a lake, have an amazing "HOLY CRAP I CAN SWIM ALREADY" moment, and grab the sword -> use the sword, confident that its durability is better than a stick -> the sword breaks almost instantly. In a game that prides itself so much on all the little experiences you'd have while playing, you'd think the developers would maybe recognize that that's kinda a downer for the first ten minutes of the game.

Once you get into it, though, the system makes way more sense. Swords break quickly because there's dozens of different weapons to try, and frankly the combat is hard enough that I have come to rely on the guaranteed-crit on a breaking sword to take down some tougher enemies.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It certainly explains why most people failed to defeat Ganon because all their weapons are made of glass or chocolate.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It certainly explains why most people failed to defeat Ganon because all their weapons are made of glass or chocolate.

Pretty sure the Master Sword can't break during that one specific fight, and in fact recharges instantly if you go in with it broken, since I "broke" mine like 2 minutes before I started the fight and Link whips it out immediately.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought it couldn't break when you fight guardians with it, or anything else that makes it glow. This turned out to be an almost fatal misconception.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I thought it couldn't break when you fight guardians with it, or anything else that makes it glow. This turned out to be an almost fatal misconception.

:same:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Though a few weapons share a skill or two, like the steel sword can be upgraded to a zweihander and keep the sunder skill while gaining new ones.

That sure as hell hasn't been mentioned yet! I wish that it was!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While I enjoyed my replay of Viking: Battle for Asgard, it definitely has some major flaws. The gauntlet up to the final boss is way too long with too many enemies, and the checkpoints are only after each miniboss and all its guys are defeated, which means if you die against the miniboss you have way too much to run back up and you have to fight all the enemies again too. Also the boss herself is garbage, first it's fighting endless waves of mooks until her firewalls segmenting the arena drop so you can get to each staff to break it. Then after all 4 are destroyed you need to just keep fighting until Hel arbitrarily decides to transform to her final form - which is a really easy and pointless fight that is identical to a miniboss you have fought at least 10 times by then, including with the first part of the quicktime event being identical. Then it's just more quicktimes until she dies, it's just unfun. Her general (recurring boss) was more interesting to fight as he was the same size as you, just with a bigger sword so you had to dodge and counter and fight more interestingly against him.

Overall I like the game, it's fun and I like it's ending cutscene, it's just the boss is not very good at all.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

YES YOU CAN.

I think when people say "climb" they mean it as in "get to the top of" e.g. climb a mountain, not that the climbing mechanic gets shut off or something. The distance you can climb while it's raining is significantly reduced (unless there's some secret progamer megamethod I'm unaware of for negating rain penalties (or you grind out a bunch of stamina food I guess)) so there are fewer things you can climb in that sense.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

While I enjoyed my replay of Viking: Battle for Asgard, it definitely has some major flaws. The gauntlet up to the final boss is way too long with too many enemies, and the checkpoints are only after each miniboss and all its guys are defeated, which means if you die against the miniboss you have way too much to run back up and you have to fight all the enemies again too. Also the boss herself is garbage, first it's fighting endless waves of mooks until her firewalls segmenting the arena drop so you can get to each staff to break it. Then after all 4 are destroyed you need to just keep fighting until Hel arbitrarily decides to transform to her final form - which is a really easy and pointless fight that is identical to a miniboss you have fought at least 10 times by then, including with the first part of the quicktime event being identical. Then it's just more quicktimes until she dies, it's just unfun. Her general (recurring boss) was more interesting to fight as he was the same size as you, just with a bigger sword so you had to dodge and counter and fight more interestingly against him.

Overall I like the game, it's fun and I like it's ending cutscene, it's just the boss is not very good at all.

The game really needed some kind of autoresolve feature or something because combat just drags on. Or just less encounters in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

MiddleOne posted:

The game really needed some kind of autoresolve feature or something because combat just drags on. Or just less encounters in general.

The counter move makes some later game encounters go super quick as most enemies that don't combo can be hit by it and a good chunk of them can be instakilled with it. It was my most used move. Although I didn't even know that you could imbue your allies with elements until looking through the achievement list as the game literally never tells you.