Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aramek posted:

I hate that racists ruined this word, because I really wanna use it but I can't now. :(

Classism isn't cool regardless of any skin colours that may also be involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

American designed sports cars are positively awful. They do so little with so much.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

American cars are silly and ugly. Some exceptions exist but I'd never buy a car designed or built in the US over a Japanese or even Korean equivalent.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I love my kia soul

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Unpopular car opinion: there's nothing wrong with SUVs even if you don't really need all that space very often. They are just really nice to drive and when you do need the space they are really convenient. I loved my 97 ford explorer until it started falling apart and will probably buy another explorer when I get back to the US and need a car again.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I love my kia soul

One of the ugliest cars on the road right now.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Das Boo posted:

Anyone. Buying a new car is such an immediate, brazenly poor investment when you could buy a used, two year-old model for thousands less. (I remember reading a new car loses something like 20% of its value in the first year. Tapers off after that, but gently caress.) It's so easy to buy a used car and there are so many available, that new car purchases tend to be purely for the sake of ego and waving around your mid-life crisis.

Restoration at least has the option of being practiced as a hobby. Hobbies tend to involve some kind of skill set or talent, even if they are money sinks. I lived in an area that would have car shows with local participants and they were proud of the results of time, effort and craft, not how much money they'd thrown at it.

It reminds me of living in South Carolina and how the old southern belle shitheels would brag about paying more for the exact same item available for less elsewhere. You were not supposed to be proud of bargains or making quality items yourself as the price tag was all that mattered. gently caress, it was in vogue for a while to have your tags visible so you could flaunt your DKNY or Louis Vuitton or whatever.

I guess flaunting status with no effort involved really pisses me off.

oh i see. In my unpopular opinion, owning a car should be completely unnecessary. I should be able to walk to where i need from my house and/or take public transit to where i want to go. But i live in the US so i cant do that

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lol if you don't own a Daewoo, the best car ever made

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
South Park has been near unwatchable for close to a decade. I was a massive fan for years but even early season episodes when they delve into politics are embarrassing when you get past age 13 ("heh man...when you really...ya know think about it....? Aren't all crimes hate crimes....?")

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Blue Star posted:

oh i see. In my unpopular opinion, owning a car should be completely unnecessary. I should be able to walk to where i need from my house and/or take public transit to where i want to go. But i live in the US so i cant do that

I went from needing a car to having great public transportation and having a lot of things in walking distance and honestly I am dying to go back to having a car. The public transport thing sounds great until you start to factor in the fact that you can only buy as many groceries as you can carry back meaning you have to go shopping every 1-2 days, and you have to operate on their schedule instead of your own. Plus getting into work for me takes 45 minutes on public transport vs 20 by a car if I had one.

It is nice for getting back from bars/whatever though, I'll admit.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

South Park has been near unwatchable for close to a decade. I was a massive fan for years but even early season episodes when they delve into politics are embarrassing when you get past age 13 ("heh man...when you really...ya know think about it....? Aren't all crimes hate crimes....?")

The recent political correctness themed season was actually pretty funny and had a level of nuance (the gentrification episode was particularly good) but of course their audience would never pick up on it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

OldTennisCourt posted:

That episode of The West Wing is really good, though.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

South Park was never funny and their statements about criticising Trump out them as loving dickheads. They managed 20 years of racist, homophobic and sexist jokes but decide that the President is out of bounds?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
We attack both sides!
~makes seasons worth of episodes mocking liberals and calling any efforts at combating racism/sexism/homophobia stupid and lame, makes like 3 episodes mocking conservatives~

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

well why not posted:

South Park was never funny and their statements about criticising Trump out them as loving dickheads. They managed 20 years of racist, homophobic and sexist jokes but decide that the President is out of bounds?

I don't know what statements they've made but they made lots of jokes about Trump in the last two seasons.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The show is innately conservative and anti-progressive which is insane for a show that got popular on the strength of shock humour.

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

well why not posted:

The show is innately conservative and anti-progressive which is insane for a show that got popular on the strength of shock humour.

I'd call it libertarian, which has a bit of both but is friendlier to shock humor.

That doesn't make its politics any smarter, but my PHUO is that politics based on philosophies is brokebrained and that real progress only comes from a lot of detail-oriented work directed at a well bounded and rigidly-defined problem with clear criteria for success.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010

Aramek posted:

Counterculture is bad. If you are different, you should stop being different and, instead, be normal, and part of the overculture. This goes for everyone, not just hipsters.

:agreed:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

sassassin posted:

Classism isn't cool regardless of any skin colours that may also be involved.

I try not to be racist, but I'm extremely Classist and Ableist to make up for it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

well why not posted:

They went to a hippy college so being "conservative and anti-progressive" was shock humour to their original audience.

Aramek posted:

I try not to be racist, but I'm extremely Classist and Ableist to make up for it.

So you're okay looking down on lower class people as long as their skin colour isn't different?

That's racist.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

sassassin posted:

They went to a hippy college so being "conservative and anti-progressive" was shock humour to their original audience.
They don't even have a wholly consistent philosophy or outlook on the world, which is totally cool but they have a weirdly disproportionate amount of influence on growing white boys.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

It gets worse, I vote for and greatly support progressive candidates because that'll directly better the lives of the poors, which will make me hate them less because there's less of them!

vvv Exactly. :v:

Aramek has a new favorite as of 18:38 on May 30, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want to destroy the lumpen who I hate as a class through education and quality of life improvements.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Hello. I was given a 6 hour probation for a post I made yesterday but I was asleep while the actual probation was in effect so I wasn't actually punished per se. I think it only fair I be given another 6 hour probation while I am awake so I learn the error of my ways.

Thank you.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I agree

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Thank you my friend

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aramek posted:

It gets worse, I vote for and greatly support progressive candidates because that'll directly better the lives of the poors, which will make me hate them less because there's less of them!

So you want to encourage upward mobility but you also want to use a slur for people who seek to rise above their original station (or would want to except for fear of being associated with racists).

Your method gives you more targets for your hatespeech, not less. Well done.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sassassin posted:

So you want to encourage upward mobility but you also want to use a slur for people who seek to rise above their original station (or would want to except for fear of being associated with racists).

Your method gives you more targets for your hatespeech, not less. Well done.

This assumes anyone listens to him or gives a poo poo what he thinks

A pretty big assumption around here

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless posted:

Hello. I was given a 6 hour probation for a post I made yesterday but I was asleep while the actual probation was in effect so I wasn't actually punished per se. I think it only fair I be given another 6 hour probation while I am awake so I learn the error of my ways.

Thank you.

What an un riff raff thing to do, gj.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I always try to do the right thing. As any of us ever should.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

This assumes anyone listens to him or gives a poo poo what he thinks

A pretty big assumption around here

Raisins make pretty much every baked good better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Steven Van Zandt is really overrated.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Steven Van Zandt is really overrated.

As a guitar player? As an actor? Outside of Bruce Springsteen superfans I don't really hear much about him ever.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Jastiger posted:

PHUO: Roseanne was really really good, and we need to have more shows that focus on actual working class people (Married with Children, etc.) than these affluent minority shows where everyone has time to do everything and money to change things.

Jastiger wants to see more working-class people on TV because it helps him get psyched up for the coming bloodletting. Roseanne was a great show though.

I also agree that the whole "used cars are always a better deal than new cars" thing has gotten overblown. Between the financing options and the general lack of availability of lendable used cars, buying new is often a really good idea. Then you get to enjoy like four years of basically perfect car operation, never having to worry about breakdowns, barely performing any maintenance beyond an occasional oil change. Everything is new and clean and smells good. All the lights work. Buying a four-year-old car just dumps you in right at the end of that cycle, where the major maintenance items are starting to come due, the nice smell is gone, the plastic trim rattles on the freeway. There are shiny spots at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel. You're paying 8% interest on a loan for 70% of the car's original sale price.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I don't understand the appeal of tumblr. What makes it different from every other blog site ever, other than an even shittier comments section design that consists solely of lists of who reblogged what?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sucrose posted:

I don't understand the appeal of tumblr. What makes it different from every other blog site ever, other than an even shittier comments section design that consists solely of lists of who reblogged what?

Nobody wants to be the guy still using livejournal or xanga or any of the countless other iterations before tumblr. Soon tumblr will be the thing we make fun of people for still using. The appeal is almost entirely "people they like or find interesting use it". Release a rebranded version and people will flock to it as long as their friends do too.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Rose wine is just alcopop except marketed to adults instead of teens.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know music is subjective and all but if you don't "get" jazz or any sort of abstract music and think people just pretend to like it it's because you don't understand how music is formed

This has nothing to do with enjoying it though. I'm sure plenty of people get jazz but don't like it

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Transhumanism is a solid no for me. My body is far from perfect, but I have absolutely no interest in cybernetic implants. If I wasn't born with an ability (e.g seeing in the infrared range, hearing as good as a dog's), then I don't need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Transhumanism is a solid no for me. My body is far from perfect, but I have absolutely no interest in cybernetic implants. If I wasn't born with an ability (e.g seeing in the infrared range, hearing as good as a dog's), then I don't need it.

you weren't born with the ability to travel at a few dozen miles an hour but you still have a car