Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Let me get this straight.

They tied the entirety of the White Mage's new system, as well as most of its new abilities, to procs based off spells White Mages cast the least.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
White Mages and Astros to a lesser extent have a huge amount of new healing potency available to them. I'm not sure what to expect, but these toolkits are pretty unnecessary with current encounter damage profiles. I could see them transitioning into a higher consistent damage throughput, which would put some cure spam into use.

Scholars didn't seem to get the same treatment as their healing throughput has remained fairly static.

But other than that I agree with you. Proccing stacks and lillies off of cure spam seems off.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The more I think about SCH the more I settle on the idea that they nerfed potency with the expectation that we're going to have more dps time due to the cleric change, fey union, and that primed lustrate ability.

The problem is in non Savage content I already dps nonstop.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Click on the three vertical dots on the right side of the thumbnail title:

(don't actually do this to ethys, he's pretty good)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

White Mages and Astros to a lesser extent have a huge amount of new healing potency available to them. I'm not sure what to expect, but these toolkits are pretty unnecessary with current encounter damage profiles. I could see them transitioning into a higher consistent damage throughput, which would put some cure spam into use.

Scholars didn't seem to get the same treatment as their healing throughput has remained fairly static.

But other than that I agree with you. Proccing stacks and lillies off of cure spam seems off.

Like, if they had made it also proc off regen ticks not only would it be more useful but the 20% proc rate would make sense since you get tons of regen ticks.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Regarding sch heal potency, it looks like a bunch of passive trait healing buffs affect the fairy now?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
A pox on all your houses, all those who abandon MNK. A pox, I say! :argh:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

nuru posted:

Regarding sch heal potency, it looks like a bunch of passive trait healing buffs affect the fairy now?

Yeah apparently the Maim and Mend traits effect the pets now.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Ast heals might actually have more power than white mage heals cause of the buff to potency they get from their stance. They outheal, outshield, and outbuff everyone.

The lilies and confessions seem really poorly thought out. It's all random chance, and that's something people've complained about forever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

His voice sounds familiar. Is this where GameTrailers ended up?

Yeah, Easy Allies is a bunch of ex-GT staff who started a Patreon like a year ago I think.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Grondoth posted:

Ast heals might actually have more power than white mage heals cause of the buff to potency they get from their stance. They outheal, outshield, and outbuff everyone.

The lilies and confessions seem really poorly thought out. It's all random chance, and that's something people've complained about forever.

Stance potency affects magic healing. Most of the new skills are abilities.

If that stance buff works like Divine Seal / Synastry, those are two mutually exclusive categories.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

No one at SE actually plays whm

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'm glad Square Enix believes in the heart of the cards.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

slev posted:

No one at SE actually plays whm

Beginning to think that too.

I mean, I thought a lot of the doom and gloom about it was kind of silly but this new system is just baffling.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

A pox on all your houses, all those who abandon MNK. A pox, I say! :argh:

I'm in it to come 5th on the meters with Monk.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Yeah apparently the Maim and Mend traits effect the pets now.

Well, that explains where all the damage from Bane, Fester, Shadow Flare, and Miasma 2 went for Summoners.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm in it to come 5th on the meters with Monk.

Out of five? :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
MCH report:

....6 potency. 6 loving potency on Flamethrower. I'm assuming that's per-tick, and that Flamethrower itself is a channelled cast. Which makes that 6 potency even worse, because as everybody knows, DoT/HoTs only tick once every three seconds.

You know what? I'm going back to BRD. Between holy-crap-the-penalty-for-maxing-out-your-heat-gauge, having to relearn how to play with only three ammo, and the dev team clearly having not learned the lessons that should have been taught from not giving ARR WAR a skill that actually felt powerful and like it was swinging around a giant fuckoff axe and the corresponding drop in an enemy's HP bar, they repeat the same mistake and give something with a great animation a piddly-rear end actual effect.

Glad nothing in WAR has me wanting to change tanks, glad nothing in AST has me wanting to change healers, but my search for a DPS I can come home to continues.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 31, 2017

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

I have discovered the Riddle of Earth. "Why would I play this job when I can use Braver every 9 GCDs"

This is also the Riddle of Fire and the Riddle of Wind

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

MCH report:

....6 potency. 6 loving potency on Flamethrower. I'm assuming that's per-tick, and that Flamethrower itself is a channelled cast. Which makes that 6 potency even worse, because as everybody knows, DoT/HoTs only tick once every three seconds.

apparently it's a typo. it's 60

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
In other news: Death Blossom still a level 42 skill. So much for giving all jobs a low-level spammable AoE.

Happy Blue Cow posted:

apparently it's a typo. it's 60

Glad to hear it. So that's two strikes instead of three.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
One plus for WHMs if the numbers don't change.

Aero 2 (12s) - 50 + 200 pot
Aero 3 (24s)- 40 + 330 pot
Stone 4 - 260 pot

(note that dot damage increase with spells speed, making Aero 2 worth while)

Some lovely math says that over 24 seconds you'll do 2690 potency, or 269 potency per gcd

Combust 2 (30s) - 450 pot
Malefic 3 - 210 pot

Same lovely math says 2760 damage over 30 seconds, or 220 potency per gcd

White Mages should be able to spam 122% of an AST's dps spam.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Eopia posted:

Out of five? :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://gamerescape.com/2017/05/31/avalonstar-stormblood-interview-with-naoki-yoshida/

niceee

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It seems to me like the River of Blood trait is gone, with the effect being baked into Mage's Ballad now.

That's disappointing.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I hope those Eeyore looking creatures from Advanced make it in, they had the best hats

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Am I understanding that 4.1 is expected in July? That seems surprisingly soon to me but I don't know how fast 3.1 came out.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

He means that XII will be out in July, which should give you time before 4.1. XII can be a lengthy game, but 4.1 has no actual date yet. 3.1 took 4 months.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ImpAtom posted:

Am I understanding that 4.1 is expected in July? That seems surprisingly soon to me but I don't know how fast 3.1 came out.

almost assuredly not, just that it'll be in the ballpark of XII relaunch. so possibly august but probably september?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Summoner looks like the potency loss is going to be made up by using ifrit for cleave and rekindling more, potentially. With no contagion Garuda seems less useful unless the movement of ifrit is an issue.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If I recall 3.1 was quite a while after Heavensward release because the dev team were dying in real life and needed a holiday.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

almost assuredly not, just that it'll be in the ballpark of XII relaunch. so possibly august but probably september?

That makes a bit more sense.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That is exceedingly soon.

3.1 came out after four months instead of three, breaking from the usual clockwork pace of FFXIV's patch cycle, because the dev team was burnt out and Yoshi-P made everyone go on vacation after shipping HW. (minus the occasional bugfix here and there)

It would not be unreasonable to expect the same, but I would also expect that the the team learned how to manage their pace better this time around and not repeat the same mistake.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Dr Pepper posted:

Let me get this straight.

They tied the entirety of the White Mage's new system, as well as most of its new abilities, to procs based off spells White Mages cast the least.

:psyduck:

Remember, this is the same SE that designs encounters around healers contributing exactly zero DPS. Their design probably features WHMs proudly doing nothing but healing the party constantly, because why wouldn't they? White mages are healers. Healing is all they're "supposed" to do.

:suicide:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Late Aug/Early Sep for 4.1 is my guess.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Remember, this is the same SE that designs encounters around healers contributing exactly zero DPS. Their design probably features WHMs proudly doing nothing but healing the party constantly, because why wouldn't they? White mages are healers. Healing is all they're "supposed" to do.

:suicide:

Counterpoint: Holy

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Why would they give MNK a button that slows you down? I get that it adds damage but I like going fast dammit :mad: RDM looks fun but I guess if I want a new melee dps I'm going SAM

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

YellerBill posted:

Why would they give MNK a button that slows you down? I get that it adds damage but I like going fast dammit :mad: RDM looks fun but I guess if I want a new melee dps I'm going SAM

so you can tell that ast who thinks it's funny to drop enhanced arrows on monks to go to hell

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The monk potency decrease if offset by the more charka somewhat right?

You get 30% of your crits as Chakra which means if you get 1 FC per minute thats about 8 Potency per GCD (assuming a 2 second GCD)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Harrow posted:

Yeah, Easy Allies is a bunch of ex-GT staff who started a Patreon like a year ago I think.

I'm actually happy to hear that. I loved going to GT as a youngin.

• Locked thread