Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
I haven't played in like a year and a half, it sucks that awakened are cunts though. I used to be in Taken and they were always pretty chill and nice and ethical about raiding and stuff, but I know after sleeper died they merged with somebody or something? I think? I dunno. Still, nobody is immune from pixel lust asperger's i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eatpants
Jan 26, 2012
Started playing p99 again(blue server) in November with friends from '99. Have a lvl 28 Dwarf paladin from 5 years ago, lvl 20 halfling druid, and lvl 6 darkelf shadowknight. Camping Unrest fireplace most of the time. Msg me on steam or in-game. Same name.

Eatpants fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 17, 2017

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
started playing Haughty a bit again recently. someone showed me a neat trick for pulling quads in Dreadlands. basically: bind ontop of KC's roof, pull your quad, gate, and jump down into the strangely hollow-why-didnt-they-put-a-roof-on-this-place middle of the castle.

nothing paths there and if you get into trouble, you can zone to KC by hugging the (west?) wall.

right now it's debatable whether or not that's actually effective, since Yetis outside of the tunnel are fairly safe and pretty consistent :shrug:

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Dirt posted:

I'm quitting for awhile.
drat. Well, enjoy your vacation!

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
I've started on this server and have managed to dredge up a meager life savings of 140pp (level 8 rogue).

What 1h piercer should I be trying to get in EC with this kind of money? Crystalline daggers seem good but just barely out of my price range (200ppish?).

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

FungiCap posted:

I've started on this server and have managed to dredge up a meager life savings of 140pp (level 8 rogue).

What 1h piercer should I be trying to get in EC with this kind of money? Crystalline daggers seem good but just barely out of my price range (200ppish?).

What's your rogue's name? If I were you, I'd hold off on buying a piercing weapon until you find something that you'll want to use for a dozen levels. I'd buy a pair of hp rings and grab a set of armor from Unknown Guild.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
I'm Dundain... my playtime is sporadic. Found out that there's a pretty good piercer that only small races can use (I'm a dwarf) so that's the new goal post.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
IIRC for rogue piercing weapons, it's more important to have a high damage on that mainhand even if it otherwise has a rubbish delay or non-essential stats. There should be a couple of 8-9 damage weapons you can get for around 100 or less (gloomwater Harpoon and Serrated Bone Dirk come to mind). Aside from that, yeah, look to get hp, strength, and agi/dex/ac roughly in that order.

If you weren't already aware, Backstab only works with piercing weapons. While you can equip slashing and blunt weapons, there's pretty much never a time where you will ever want one in your main hand. Unless you happen into a slashing or blunt weapon that is super awesome and/or has a proc effect you really want for you offhand, you can basically just stick to pointy weapons 100% of the time.

Edit 2: I would say go cheaper and get the Serrated bone dirk for now, buy the crystalline spider fang if/when you get cash together and dual wield them together, you'll be set for weapons for a long, long time.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 22, 2017

Breidr
Jan 9, 2016

I am actually kind of interested in this. I don't know how this thread slipped past me in the beginning. I'm kind of in an MMO rut and have been trying a lot of games lately.

I was going to try the new progression server, but that would require me to give DBG money. I never played classic EQ. I did play EQOA on PS2. Had no idea about class and group dynamics back then and was probably secretly hated by party members.

By the time EQ Mac came out [yeah, I know, Mac gaming] we had our own dead server that I almost never played on. WoW came out and the rest is history.

Any advice for an idiot who has no idea what he's doing? Recommended classes or anything at all really.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Most goons that play p99 and stick with it start with a druid, if for no other reason than to get to like level 40 and make some cash.

In general all casters really need in classic are spells. Pick any group friendly class and you'll be fine though.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Breidr posted:

I am actually kind of interested in this. I don't know how this thread slipped past me in the beginning. I'm kind of in an MMO rut and have been trying a lot of games lately.

I was going to try the new progression server, but that would require me to give DBG money. I never played classic EQ. I did play EQOA on PS2. Had no idea about class and group dynamics back then and was probably secretly hated by party members.

By the time EQ Mac came out [yeah, I know, Mac gaming] we had our own dead server that I almost never played on. WoW came out and the rest is history.

Any advice for an idiot who has no idea what he's doing? Recommended classes or anything at all really.

You have nothing to lose by just logging in and playing. Make whatever class you want, kill things, ask for help, and have a good time. P99, imo, is timeless fun. My issue with the game is that I forget that it's a game, and I start trying to schedule my life around the game so that I can maximize my involvement in the game. Normally after taking a deep breath and a month break I remember it's a game and that it's a very fun one.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Been thinking about playing this again myself in a more "casual" sort of way. Not sure what would be best to play for a "hop on, kill some mobs solo maybe group, hop off" kind of play style. Currently have a 15 mage with a few decent cheap twink pieces that im kinda sucky at soloing with. Any ideas for what class would work best or if mage how to improve my soloing with it? Also is the guild still around?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Orty posted:

Been thinking about playing this again myself in a more "casual" sort of way. Not sure what would be best to play for a "hop on, kill some mobs solo maybe group, hop off" kind of play style. Currently have a 15 mage with a few decent cheap twink pieces that im kinda sucky at soloing with. Any ideas for what class would work best or if mage how to improve my soloing with it? Also is the guild still around?

If you want to solo a mage you literally only need one item. Torch of Alna.

You can chain pet fire pets solo until 49 really easily.

If you are around today post here and Ill login and give ya some plat to buy the parts for it. I don't really play anymore, but Im home today working on stuff so ill be around.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Orty posted:

Mage soloing is kind of counterintuitive because they give you pet heals that you should by and large never use after a certain level because it's more efficient to just summon a new pet after a certain point.

As far as casual solo goes, you do have a couple of choices. Necros are an obvious answer due to fear and extra mana generation allowing them to solo pretty easily. Druid can do effortless snare kiting single target all day and can quad kite at higher levels, but they are limited to mostly outdoor spaces. Enchanters are kind of sleeper hits, but charming to solo can be kind of fussy and can get you killed regularly. Bards are also good here because they have multiple ways to solo between being an obnoxious rear end and swarm kiting an entire zone to charm or fear kiting individual tougher enemies, but their poo poo takes some finesse and good song placement otherwise you will end up as a grease spot.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Dirt posted:

If you want to solo a mage you literally only need one item. Torch of Alna.

You can chain pet fire pets solo until 49 really easily.

If you are around today post here and Ill login and give ya some plat to buy the parts for it. I don't really play anymore, but Im home today working on stuff so ill be around.

Just a little question: How do you chain cast pets using the Torch? Do you use a macro to "click" the Dismiss of the torch just before the next summon pet is cast, or is it just for the focus effect?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Pilsner posted:

Just a little question: How do you chain cast pets using the Torch? Do you use a macro to "click" the Dismiss of the torch just before the next summon pet is cast, or is it just for the focus effect?

You have to have the torch equipped when you summon a pet to get the bonus from it.

Chain summoning works like this:

Summon pet(w torch). Med up to full.

Send in pet vs a mob.
When pet gets low on hp(takes some work to get the timing right) start casting a new pet.
Click "go away" or whatever it is on the pet window to dismiss the pet right before the new pet is summoned.
Send in new pet to grab aggro, and then spam back off until it casts its DS.
Repeat until mob is running, then reclaim the pet to get some mana back and finish it off with a nuke or melee.

Can also throw in more nukes if you want after the first pet. I never really bothered until 46 when the Burnt Wood Staff is clickable.

Aggro is wacky with chain summoning fyi, If you cast nukes, you will never be able to lose aggro. All the pet aggro poofs when it disappears, so if you have been nuking it's going to go after you and never stop. Really no point in using nukes other than to finish the mobs off because a ~300 mana pet is way more mana efficient than any nuke you ever get.

It's boring, but you can solo yellow mobs until the mid 40s like that.
Blues are quicker, but I did a lot of 6/12 min single spawns and just AFK medded between mobs.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 30, 2017

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Efb, I hate phone posting.

Chain pets typically are done by starting to cast the new pet when the old one gets low on hp. You time the cast so that the new one pops out when the old one is less than 5% hp. The trick is, you have to manually dismiss your current low hp pet (use the button on the pet window) just before the new one finishes casting, because having a pet up will cancel summoning a new pet.

You don't bother with reclaim energy for two reasons. One, it prevents you from pre-casting your new pet for a seamless transition with no mob aggro on you, and two, you only get back mana proportionate to the pet's hp. Since you're waiting for the first pet to be nearly dead before summoning a new one, you'd get back very little mana anyway.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Mages don't need much equipment to function. Contact me in game and I'll get you hooked up with a +5 int spyglass that also refreshes your spell gems instantly. Be a naked mage (with a torch and spyglass).

Also,

Anarch fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 31, 2017

Orty
May 14, 2007

Won't have time to hop on tonight but might tomorrow night.

Back on live I had a druid that I soloed with a lot and I remember basically doing the whole root rot thing and some snare kiting. Also had a Bard that I did swarm kiting with but that was during PoP era.

Do Necros do chain summoning as well or is that mostly a mage thing?
Mostly just looking for a class I can casually solo/group up to where I can boost up a few other classes id want to play. (Monk/Bard/Shaman/Maybe Enchanter)

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Orty posted:

Won't have time to hop on tonight but might tomorrow night.

Back on live I had a druid that I soloed with a lot and I remember basically doing the whole root rot thing and some snare kiting. Also had a Bard that I did swarm kiting with but that was during PoP era.

Do Necros do chain summoning as well or is that mostly a mage thing?
Mostly just looking for a class I can casually solo/group up to where I can boost up a few other classes id want to play. (Monk/Bard/Shaman/Maybe Enchanter)

Necros get useful things like root and fear and snare, so they don't have to chain summon. Also necro pets are considerably weaker than mage pets.

It's a Mage only thing, because mages are kind of awful, but they can do that one thing well.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
How does Necro soloing usually work? Any ability to do it in dungeons?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Summit posted:

Necros can solo pretty much anywhere.

They have tons of crowd control spells(root/mez/charm/snare) and Feign Death, plus insta click invis with a CoS.

Normal soloing methods are fear kiting (Cast snare, send pet, then fear, add dots, recast fear when it breaks until dead).
Or they can Root rot(root, load up with dots, reroot when it breaks, repeat until dead).
And they can charm undead mobs to fight for them. This only works in some places, and can be tricky because it's so random with charm breaks, but it can be super effective too.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Orty posted:

Druid or necro would be ideal for that purpose. Personally I went necro and have geared up a rogue and enchanter on the side. Mage lets you cut some corners initially but doesn't have as many options later.

Summit posted:

As Dirt said, necros have a staggering number of options. Fear kiting, root rot, charm tank, and pet tank are all valid and depend on the circumstances. For breaking you can split with snare, root, mez, pet, or charm, and adding feign death you can split multiple mobs this way. The necro toolkit of spells (DOTs, snares, life taps, mana regen, mana twitch, HOTs, feign death, roots, mez, rez, pets, undead charm, skeleton faction mods... did I get everything?) and equipment (Circlet of Shadow, Staff of Dreaded Gaze and other things) allow you to operate completely independent of groups and drift through dungeons unhindered.
*edit* They also work well in duos.

The downside is that necros are typically misunderstood in groups. DOTs usually don't have time to bloom in a group and can interfere with CC, so you usually are relegated to pet/support and occasional pulling. Lazy or ignorant necros generally ignore the support portion and just send in their pet, which sours people on necros in groups.

On raids, you twitch other casters who have more important raid spells and occasionally feign/rez on wipes.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 31, 2017

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I don't even like this game.

edit: Let me know if you are newish, ill give you some plat

Dirt fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 31, 2017

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I like this game, you just gotta get to 60. :sun:

Druids are the master class. I've been playing my druid for 6 months, been 60 maybe 3 of those, and I haven't felt the need to level any other characters over 5 yet. They really excel at three things, which tend to be more or less effective for different zones:

1) Root rotting. Snare, root, DOT DOT DOT, repeat. This is especially effective once you get epic (55 dmg/tick) and Elder Spiritist's Vambraces (34 dmg/tick) free dots.
2) Quad kiting. Snare 4 roughly identical mobs, run circles around them till they stack, and start casting your best AE on them. Great for leveling 39-50, but pretty overrated both for exp and money 50+.
3) Charming. At 53, druids get access to a very nice 3-second animal Charm spell, which combined with snare and the -20 MR animal debuff we get at 52 means we can hold some pretty tough animals charmed. From 55, we can do Permafrost bear pits for some of the fastest exp in era bar none, and at 60 we can farm a range of great, expensive stuff. :3

Prioritize getting 200 WIS, aim for about 2000 mana by level 35-39. That allows you to quad kite. Druid items are cheap, so it's not particularly hard or onerous to do this with some goon help! (Feel free to hit me up on Gatmanno.) Once you have that, just stop focusing on mana and start working on HP/AC. This won't become apparent until sometime in the mid-50s when you get a good charm, because The Vision, but druids are charmers, not healers. They can do some serious asskicking at the endgame, and you have pretty good options in terms of choosing between soloing and grouping up to level 40 or so. After that druids' soloing options become fairly amazing while their group utility drops hard until POTG at 60, so 40-60 is mostly a rapid and profitable solo job.

At 60, you get Protection of the Glades (+6 group mana regen) and Mask of the Hunter (+3 self mana regen) and just turn into a beast from one level to the other. It's a really fun class to play because you can be everywhere with ports, you always have mana, you can be tanky as hell on an affordable budget, and in most high end zones you'll want to be in as a druid, you can charm animals that hit for between 150-300, so your DPS is great. You definitely have to be in the right zone to excel, but most of the 'right zones' have good exp/loot, so it's not really a problem. You also have access to great, not-too-repetitive midgame income through porting other players, which is also a good way to meet people who'll eventually invite you to come kill stuff. (Can't stress enough how important that is tbh.) Porting around to farm long-repop rare spawns over multiple zones, or multiquesting, is also a pretty fun way to make money.

quick druid leveling guide
1-5: newbie zone
5-14: get boofed in EC/WC, whack snakes with club
14-18: Lfay sisters, solo
18-24: EK spiders, solo
24-34: HHK goblins, group
34-39: MM castle entrance, group
39-47: Oggok guards (wolf form lets you sell the loot to Oggok merchants directly), solo
47-51: Cobalt Scar wyverns, solo
51-54: Plane of Mischief (buy a Call of the Hero and bind there, then never unbind), solo/duo
55-60: Permafrost bear pits, solo/duo

random bigly things I've done in six months on p99 as a druid

1) soloed Plane of Mischief, Siren's Grotto
2) charm tanked Avatar of War from 15% to dead (Kael dire wolf)
3) tanked Lodizal in a duo
4) made top dps list on Tunare (PoG gale wolf)
5) finished basically all the good quests
6) pulled or kited most high end zones

edit: choose halfling for 5% exp bonus and racial sneak/hide (so you can hide and go afk whenever), put all points into WIS and the rest into STR and start whacking snakes.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 31, 2017

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think I grouped with my necro until low 50's when I started doing Karnor's Castle.

Groups are actually fun and necros are also good in groups due to how many roles they can (surprisingly) fill, so don't do what I did. You absolutely can if you want to though.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Zodium posted:

I like this game, you just gotta get to 60. :sun:

Posts like this really make me wish I had time to play EQ again but I don't so I just live vicariously through this thread.

Is there still talk of a fresh p99 server in the works?

Orty
May 14, 2007

I'm split between doing an Iksar Necromancer because its probably farthest from what I amused to, or Halfling Druid because I am familiar and all the bonuses that come with having a druid.

Either way I have tons of stuff I would need transferred from alts all over the place so I can scrounge every bit of plat I got together for some gear.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Orty posted:

I'm split between doing an Iksar Necromancer because its probably farthest from what I amused to, or Halfling Druid because I am familiar and all the bonuses that come with having a druid.

Either way I have tons of stuff I would need transferred from alts all over the place so I can scrounge every bit of plat I got together for some gear.

Best advice I can give is to create a character to act as your EC tunnel mule. I can help you transfer items from the tunnel to whatever you end up making, but having a dedicated trade character in EC makes transactions like this pretty quick.

Edit: BDA is dead on p99. Any goons raiding that can chime in on their guild's endgame schedule? Got a 60 warrior I'd like to see some more Velious content with.

Pillow Armadillo fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 31, 2017

Orty
May 14, 2007

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Best advice I can give is to create a character to act as your EC tunnel mule. I can help you transfer items from the tunnel to whatever you end up making, but having a dedicated trade character in EC makes transactions like this pretty quick.

Edit: BDA is dead on p99. Any goons raiding that can chime in on their guild's endgame schedule? Got a 60 warrior I'd like to see some more Velious content with.

Just have an alt in Qeynos with some cheap bard gear/wedding rings to grab or sell. Other characters are in EC Tunnel.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Anyone have or know someone with a VS stone for the ranger epic they would sell fairly cheaply? I have an itch to finish my ranger epic.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Well I am either going to be on Seksisa (Iksar Necro) or Breni (Halfling Druid) for a bit tonight if anyone who was offering help wants to find me (and persuade me towards either class).

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I spent the better part of an hour trying to find the Soldiers of Tunare on a Woodelf last night. Nobody warned me that there was no map in this game. So I did the only reasonable thing and threw myself off of the flets.

I am going to take the above Druid advice, but the Halflings look horrific. But, well, in as Belsie.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

You can download ZlizEQMap from somewhere in the OP/page 1 for maps.

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I'm in Awakened and we raid most hours of the day, so basically whenever you feel like it.

Siddhartha Glutamate posted:

Halflings look horrific

:thunk:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Zodium are you Gatmanno in-game?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

yeah

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:glomp:

<--- Xeirak and/or useless paladin Sietlan

Orty
May 14, 2007

I've settled on doing a druid. Just need to figure out what items would be good to twink it with for the small amount of plat I have to do so with. If I sell everything that can't be used with it id probably have about 500-800p. I have a bunch of cheap all/all gear and a pair of the 5/55 rings to start with. Guess maybe just a weapon (smoldering brand?) and some more cheap all/all stuff just to fill out any remaining slots and get as much +hp/+mana I can? Any ideas on stuff to get?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Siddhartha Glutamate posted:

I spent the better part of an hour trying to find the Soldiers of Tunare on a Woodelf last night. Nobody warned me that there was no map in this game. So I did the only reasonable thing and threw myself off of the flets.

I am going to take the above Druid advice, but the Halflings look horrific. But, well, in as Belsie.

So do like me and play a wood elf druid. Halflings are overrated!

Orty posted:

I've settled on doing a druid. Just need to figure out what items would be good to twink it with for the small amount of plat I have to do so with. If I sell everything that can't be used with it id probably have about 500-800p. I have a bunch of cheap all/all gear and a pair of the 5/55 rings to start with. Guess maybe just a weapon (smoldering brand?) and some more cheap all/all stuff just to fill out any remaining slots and get as much +hp/+mana I can? Any ideas on stuff to get?

At low level it won't matter too much, just get some decent armor and some +HP stuff and a weapon. More than +mana though get tons of +wis stuff. There's lots you can get for cheap. That's really all you need for a druid though, +wis and +mana to get your mana pool as big as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

here's some random screenshots

Cylock came by during Lodi one time before I joined Awakened

farming those 9th rings

i think we were CRing this monk alt and decided to fight our way down

murdering Droga goblins with AE weapons and a bard is really fun

obligatory dargon trophy shot