Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Today is update day. What is update day? Not much; what's up with you?

quote:

Spring is going strong in the land of Vindictus, and while we're working towards some massive updates only a few months away, we're unleashing a new Special Battle for you, a special Easter event, new outfits and more. Check it all out below!

New Special Battle: The Last Garden

The fallen hero Ingkells has been defeated one too many times, and he's calling for help from one of the Fomors' greatest warriors, the reknowned Commander Kakrish! Face down these two experienced warriors as they band together, tearing apart anything in their path.

Join a party of up to 6 players and pair of heavy brawlers for a chance at some powerful rewards, including a Masterpiece Gem Box, Season 3 Essence Items or a Special Dungeon: Enchant Pouch containing a random high-rank Enchant Scroll! You can complete the Last Garden battle quest once per day, and only on Hard difficulty.
I appreciate the special battles for being difficult without being impossible but I think they're going out of their way to use bosses who are already obnoxious. Kakrish is one of the bigger non-teleporting jerks and now he's going to be Hero Mode fast and Hero Mode strong. Get ready to gear up your Hoagie Togo's on the Subway to this Grinder. Also: Quizno's.

quote:

Easter Bunny Event

Easter's this weekend, and we've bringing out the bunny rabbits that the classic holiday is so well known for! Everyone in Vindictus gets a little bunny rabbit to take care of and feed!

Completing Battles of the Day will give you Bunny Chow Boxes, containing food to feed your pet. Feed them enough to age them up and claim special rewards each time you do so, including bunny ears, a special title and powerful enchanting, fusion and enhancement runes!
So you need to finish dailies and get bunny chow and you feed your rabbit the food that suits its mood. (The connection between bunny chatter, mood, and correct food isn't straightforward from what I've seen so far, but people are trying to make a chart. That's nice.) Reward sets one through nine are generally decent. You got your standard potions and graces, some Resenlian's Wings, AP capsules, and some okayish soaps. There's also a title and a bunny ear headband. Things get good once you get to the tenth reward because that's where the runes are. The tenth reward can also be obtained as many times as you want to earn it, which is neat.

Do you all remember when I complained about events that reward one character per account? I think the game remembers and got huffy because every character gets their own bunny. That means I have to name it Goku six times. That means the joke is going to get progressively less and less funny.

quote:

Weekend Resurrection Event

This weekend, we're giving you a special event for absolutely no reason at all! Enjoy free resurrections and finally beat down foes that have managed to kill you over and over again.
It's only for a few hours per day but hell, I'll take it. I got a couple of characters who still need to catch up on the story.

quote:

Bug Fixes and Additional Changes

Fixed an issue where the 100% Enchant Scroll Box was giving players Maelstrom Enchant Scroll instead of Bloodlust Enchant Scroll
Fixed an exploit where players were able to fish without consuming fishing rods
Updated the text for the story "Watch Out for Fomors" to advance any skill to Rank E to progress
Fixed an issue where certain Armageddon event weapons unusable due to Mastery Rank 6 equipment requirement
They finally fixed the fishing event. Which ended. You can't get rods any more and you still can't exchange your tickets.

Also of interest: DevCat had a collective epiphany and realized they need to fix everything about the game that's bad. That's why updates are slow in coming.

Of less interest: People try to figure out what celebrities the characters are meant to resemble. Turns out Evie is a poor choice of waifu because she's already married and the concept of a waifu is dumb as poo poo anyway. You damned weeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Nexon changed its login system and now your username is gone and you log in with your e-mail address. That's okay, I guess. It'll help me remember which e-mail account is linked to my Nexon account.

Meanwhile, in unrelated news: The Spring Fishing Event is no longer broken.

quote:

We've fixed the problems and we're giving the Cherry Fishing Event another go! Grab a Cherry Fishing Rod and fish up special event items, including Enchant Scroll Boxes, Cherry Fishing Coupons and more!
I pooh-poohed this event before but I might participate now that I have a job. I'm already ruining the environment more by driving a bunch so why not leave my computer on to AFK fish while I'm at it?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

You hear the howling of the Cwn Annwn. Uh, I mean the calling of the goddess:

quote:

It's been a fun few months of special battles, but as we approach the long summer months, it's time to kick-start the next part of Vindictus' epic story. Coming next week, take command of one of the Crimson Blade's finest warriors as Ceara takes the spotlight in a special interlude story!

Ceara's Interlude: Call of the Goddess

As a certain mercenary has been meeting new friends and fighting strange foes in the lands beneath Lochlann, those left behind in Colhen and Rocheste hear only dire news on the horizon. Powerful armies of vile creatures, a Fomor horde unlike anything seen before smashing humanity's front lines... and through it all, a strange voice calls to one of the Crimson Blades' veteran sword-hands...

Play as Ceara with the Call of the Goddess interlude story as she fights to protect Colhen and Rocheste from the newly empowered Fomor horde. Ceara fights using many of Fiona's powerful sword-and-shield attacks, with stats independent of whatever gear you have equipped.

Ceara's interlude will be available to all players that have completed the non-Redeemers portions of the Corruption of the Goddess update, but be warned: Ceara's journey will not be an easy nor simple one... and in Vindictus, not all stories end well.
This sounds like some kind of Session Play deal, which is new for Vindictus. Last time we saw Ceara, she wanted some pass to go to some place, possibly to find us. Maybe. It should be really easy because we know where we are and can just walk there. On the other hand, it sounds like she's going to die horribly at the end. Messed up to think the writers would kill off an important character.

quote:

Gremlin's Bizarre Journey

The Strange Traveler has found a curious little friend begging for help! A dark force has begun corrupting the gremlins, turning them into dark monstrosities. Some can still be saved, however, and the faster you can defeat this new foe, the more gremlins will be left to reward you!

The next update brings a new set of events, including an event battle with a unique twist. Fight your way through a solo battle quest, defeating corrupted Gremlins and race towards the final boss as fast as you can. The quicker you can manage it, the more rewards you'll receive, including Enchant Runes, Kitty Broaches, SwagLyfe Packages and more!
I don't like the sound of this. Sounds like it could be another grindy event and I'm tired as hell from farming for bunny chow.

EDIT: I almost forgot that I want to give a shout-at to whoever thought that I should have to pay five million gold to learn that "SmollChieftain" isn't an acceptable pet name. gently caress you, pal.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 6, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm amazed that you keep updating this thread despite no one else posting in it.

Vindictus is one of those games I think about but never play.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

I'm amazed that you keep updating this thread despite no one else posting in it.

People would post in the thread if these events weren't so terrible :colbert:

There's a thread in Let's Play where two goons play random MMOs and so far they've only found a few they consider to be genuinely good. Vindictus is one of them. Once that video goes up, we may get up to three new players!

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

This game would be really good if it was run by a competent company.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Our long national nightmare is over: The Cherry Fishing event and bunny event are gone.

In other news, The Call of the Goddess update is here and they added an event not mentioned in the preview:

quote:

Swirly Prize Wheel Event

The Prize Wheel is back, with a special bonus to boot! Hop into Vindictus, claim Swirly Spin Tickets and spin to win on the Prize Wheel board, with Enchant and Enhancement Runes, AP Capsules and more to win. Don't forget to battle the Fomors, though: Completing all three Daily Missions in a day gives a bonus reward of a Swirly Prize Coupon, which can be taken to the Exchange Shop for Unlimited Outfit Passes, special Swirly Glasses and Reilly Toy Weapons!
There are two different event currencies in play here. Tickets let you spin the wheel and you get eight per account per day by staying logged in. Coupons let you buy certain things from the exchange shop. You get one per character for free plus one per character if you finish the daily missions on that character. You can use coupons to buy swirly glasses, toy weapons specific to your character, and unlimited outfit coupons. All of these things are per character, so if you bust your rear end you can patch together a free outfit for every character on your account.

Hey, remember when the special reward for being among the first to beat Neamhain, the hardest raid boss in the game by far, was a free outfit?

lol

looool

UPDATE: I'm doing the interlude and it's pretty cool. You get a story item that lets you turn into Ceara to do her battles. Her stats are baller as hell but her skill set is a bit limited. Also note that many NPCs have unique dialogue with Ceara. While you're transformed, you can also see NPCs that should logically be present, like the Coffer Chasers in the Colhen Inn.

UPDATE 2: There is way too much carriage-riding and ferry-taking in this interlude. If you got Resenlian Wings from the bunny event, unseal one of them right at the start.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 12, 2017

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

I know a couple goons that check in on this thread to see if anything changes.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Hy_C posted:

I know a couple goons that check in on this thread to see if anything changes.
Nothing has changed and that's a problem; I'm burned the hell out on gremlin's bizarre journey. It's given me a couple of enhancement runes so far and even then I don't want to do it any more and I hurt just thinking about it. Give me real content, Nexcat!

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I'm way behind on this game, haven't played in years, all the steam reviews are negative, but it sounds like the game's still fun? If I just bring a friend will we have a good time still? Has the grind been lessened? Last I played, there were only like 5 characters.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Gloomy Rube posted:

I'm way behind on this game, haven't played in years, all the steam reviews are negative, but it sounds like the game's still fun? If I just bring a friend will we have a good time still? Has the grind been lessened? Last I played, there were only like 5 characters.
The game is still fun. Many negative reviews are either out of date, exaggerate the flaws in the game to a bizarre degree, or are "Nexon and the devs are bad so this game is bad" (not to say all of the complaints along this line are irrelevant, but the ones that are literally just that aren't helpful). You will have a good time probably as long as you don't run into "issues." The grind has been lessened a lot and you don't need to be a power-leveler to hit endgame in a reasonable time frame and there's now something resembling a hard limit on how much you need to raid to get good endgame gear. There are ten characters now, and I hear there are plans to make an eleventh.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 29, 2017

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Oh poo poo things have changed

quote:

School's ending, summer vacation's coming around and big things are on the horizon for Vindictus. Take your first steps into the summer months with a pair of new events to set you up with special items and buffs, plus the return of the Premium Weapon Fusion Rune!

Rock Paper Scissors Event

Gallagher thinks he's the most brilliant tactician in Colhen, and he's willing to take all comers in his favorite game of high strategy: Rock Paper Scissors! Claim Rock, Paper and Scissor tokens from Battle Quests, school Gallagher in Colhen and claim a variety of prizes, including a pair of new Gremlin-in-the-Hat head items!
Ughhhhh

I don't like Rock Paper Scissors and the only appealing rewards require a lot of winning. So much winning, I'm gonna be tired of winning. Gotta win 200 times to collect all of the emblems which means completing ten battles minimum per day on the same character before the event ends. The slightly more affordable gremlin-in-a-hat hat would be okay if the swirly coupons hadn't just given me free hatinators for each of my characters. Did you guys know hatinator is a word? It means a headdress designed to look like a hat.

quote:

Magic Show of Destiny Event

The Strange Traveler's got a hankering for card tricks, and he's roping you in to test out his brand new hand of magic cards! You'll get a new set of cards each day, granting special 5 minute buffs to keep your power up, plus a special title to earn.
Every day you get five cards and a magician's scroll that goes into your NX tab for reasons. Each card is used in battle to give a buff and they're all good buffs, not situational at all. After fifteen days you'll have fifteen scrolls and you can turn them in for a title. A good, easy event.

UPDATE: Gremlin's Bizarre Journey doesn't give RPS coupons uggghgggh gently caress oh well it gave me an enhancement rune yesterday so I guess that's an alright consolation prize

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 31, 2017

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

I pray they give us Lyn and Hurk's second weapons by December, it'd actually make me play again.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGLGzRXY5Bw

The Rise: Revolution update is coming and holy loving moly there are so many things coming:

quote:

This summer brings for Vindictus' newest update, and no punches are being pulled with this one. Say hello to the Rise: Revolution update, a massive overhaul of Vindictus unlike anything that's been seen before.

Please note, the following changes may impact on existing characters:
  • Characters below Level 60 will not be able to enhance their gear, even with Enhancement Coupons. If you have an Enhancement Coupon with an expiration date on a low-level character, make sure to use it while you can.
  • Due to changes to the Marketplace system, all items listed on the Marketplace will be returned to your mailbox when the update arrives. However, listing fees will not be returned. Because of this, we highly recommend not listing high value items for long durations until after the update is released.
The sheer number of changes coming with the Rise: Revolution update is simply massive, with nearly every piece of Vindictus affected in one way or another. The following is a preview of many of the improvements to come, and we'll be giving you more details as the update approaches, so stay tuned!
The list on that page is hefty. Here's what I think is most notable so far:

- You can skip NPC dialogue
- Enchants have been overhauled again, with a bunch removed or consolidated
- The player character moves faster in battle
- The weight system is gone (it's irrelevant by endgame anyway so why not)
- Hard mode is gone and Hero mode requires you to be level 90
- Everybody gets one shared storage page unlocked permanently
- Max enhance level is now 20 and enhance rates from ->+4 to ->+11 are now higher
- Items destroyed by failed upgrading can give "fragments" that allow you to increase the odds of successfully upgrading something else and I do mean something else because...
- ...Items destroyed by failed upgrading and restored with AP cannot be upgraded at all

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

ArchWizard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGLGzRXY5Bw

The Rise: Revolution update is coming and holy loving moly there are so many things coming:

The list on that page is hefty. Here's what I think is most notable so far:

- You can skip NPC dialogue
- Enchants have been overhauled again, with a bunch removed or consolidated
- The player character moves faster in battle
- The weight system is gone (it's irrelevant by endgame anyway so why not)
- Hard mode is gone and Hero mode requires you to be level 90
- Everybody gets one shared storage page unlocked permanently
- Max enhance level is now 20 and enhance rates from ->+4 to ->+11 are now higher
- Items destroyed by failed upgrading can give "fragments" that allow you to increase the odds of successfully upgrading something else and I do mean something else because...
- ...Items destroyed by failed upgrading and restored with AP cannot be upgraded at all

So, I recently got back into it(At least for the duration of the swirly event) and apparently the enhance rates have changed...drastically:

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Postal Parcel posted:

So, I recently got back into it(At least for the duration of the swirly event) and apparently the enhance rates have changed...drastically:

It's not a significant enough boost to make me believe I can consistently brute-force my way to +11, but it will let players stretch their free rune stocks a bit more.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

More complete Rise update notes.

quote:

The Rise: Revolution update is here! While there's a few sales and events to come this month, we know what you're really here for: More changes than you can shake a stick at! The comprehensive list of changes, improvements and fixes are below, take a gander, enjoy and see you in battle!

quote:

Story Changes
The story has been streamlined a bunch more. So much more streamlined, in fact, that a few sidestory battles have been axed entirely. You may never again see a kobold with a spider on its head. You will never again farm Larken's armor fragments. Quests that require you to run daily raids that you needed to run to unlock the quest in the first place also appear to be gone. That's a bit of a shame since some of them had neat writing in them. Also, a ton of the plot has been rewritten and nearly every S2 and S3 quest is mentioned as having changed dialogue.

quote:

Character Changes
Hell yeah, some good poo poo in here.
- Everybody gets a backstory
- 160 stamina is now the base for all characters
- Fiona's normal attacks are faster
- Arisha's normal attacks are faster
- They reverted the defense debuff that Arisha got when using Mana Blade
- Lynn's Little Rat dodge has more invuln frames
- Being knocked down in fights is less common, and normal enemies can't knock you down at all
- You get a few frames of mercy invulnerability every time you get hit
- Meditation only works when you're logged in, so quitting for a long time means you don't get to come back to a ton of AP
- All of the armor proficiency skills have been consolidated into one skill, and leveling that skill means you get more DEF from your armor
- The transformation skill list has been integrated into the normal Skill window, and two more skills have been added for each transformation path

quote:

Item
- If you're level 90, you get a gift box that will give you a full set of enchanted +10 gear. Or some seals of bravery, if you decide that what you've got is better.
- Speaking of new sets: You can now change outfits with a single click by using the Equip preset tabs. Save up to three outfits!
- New enchant scrolls
- r6 and r7 scrolls have different icons so you can see at a glance which scrolls in your inventory are cool and good
- Prefix scrolls and suffix scrolls will have different icons
- Descriptions for scrolls will now tell you, unambiguously, whether failing to apply that enchant could break your poo poo
- Scrolls of rank A, 9, and 8 have higher maximum success rates
- A few r7 scrolls have been merged together
- Potions no longer have a drinking animation, and you no longer need to time your keyups to get the bonus HP recovery from potions (since there's no animation to time it with)
- Using any HP potion has a five second cooldown

quote:

Item Fragment System
- Failing to enchant or enhance an item will create fragments, as mentioned in a previous post
- Failing to enchant or enhance with a rune will also create fragments, and failing to enchant with an r6 or r7 scroll will create fragments
- Breaking four enhance runes gets you a +1 enhance coupon
- Breaking three enchant runes gets you an enchant rune
- :frogsiren: Breaking four scrolls of the same type gets you a 100% success version of that enchant holy poo poo :frogsiren:

quote:

Item Acquisition
- Gremlin pets are loving poo poo now and I want a refund because
- Being near loot is enough to get it into your inventory

quote:

Seal of Bravery Shop Renewal
- You can use seals to buy something called a Destruction Safeguard Rune
- It's poo poo because it doesn't protect your gear completely and failing to enhance means you lose +2 from the item
- Mats for any equipment below 90 are gone

quote:

Item Price Adjustment
- Selling lovely equipment drops that normally NPC for 0 gold will now get you AP

quote:

Changes to Material items
- Monster-specific drops that added character and worldbuilding to the game have been replaced with generic-sounding crafting poo poo like "clear additive," with the grade of the item affecting what you can craft with it

quote:

Changes to Equipment Items
- Gear levels have been adjusted so that players don't have too few or too many options
- More accessories have been added

quote:

Mailbox
- :frogsiren: You can now check your mail anywhere outside of battle :frogsiren:
- Mailing stuff to other characters on your account is much cheaper and attaching an item or gold only adds a flat fee
- You can enchant and enhance from anywhere so you don't need to go to Colhen

quote:

Changes to Daily Mission
- Dailies are easier and less arbitrary
- Rewards for doing dailies are better
- Items from the daily reward shop are "improved"

quote:

Hot Springs and Daily Mission Notifications
- You can now see where the soaps are by going into a menu

quote:

Quick Battle
- If you want to solo a battle, you can choose Depature for Battle (Solo) to skip the stupid boat sequence entirely
- You can enter Royal raids through Quick Battle

quote:

Marketplace Improvement
- The search box now has suggestions and autocomplete
- You can search for gear with specific enhancement levels
- It's easier to search for specific enchant scrolls
- The game will save your previous searches
- The listing fee has been reduced, but you now pay 5% of your selling price if you sell something (boo)

quote:

Changes to Level Requirements of Contents
- Enhancement requires you to be level 60, enchanting requires you to be 50, and infusing requires you to be 65
- The Abyssal Arena requires you to be level 80 and there's only one difficulty level now

quote:

Removed Contents
- Gauntlet battles are gone
- Resenlian's Labyrinth is gone
- The Mission Board is gone, but you still keep the titles from it. Wait, poo poo, there were titles for doing those missions? God loving drat it.

quote:

Battle Quest UI Improvement

- All of the battle departure boards have been mashed together
- Oaths of Honor are gone, which was presaged by QB not allowing them but I figured they'd go the other way and tack on the ability to set oaths through the Quick Battle interface. Welp.

quote:

Item Enhancement Revamp
- Only orange (rare) equipment can be enhanced past +12
- A piece of level 90 equipment with an orange essence is only considered rare if every shard is also orange
- Every piece of equipment below 90 requires Empowered stones to enhance, but you can craft the crapshit stones into empowered stones from your inventory
- The crapshit stones can be purchased from NPCs and they're actually a fair bit cheaper than the going market rate on West

quote:

Battle
- The Assist system is gone
- You can change the settings to show outlines around enemies in battle
- If you do lots of damage to a boss, you get extra loot
- If you do less than 1% of the total damage to a boss, you get one stinking core
- The game no longer judges you for completing a battle too quickly
- The post-battle rigmarole is over quicker
- The Perilous Ruins have been overhauled with new graphics
- Bullshit bonus missions have been culled
- Sewer and Ortel Castle maps are shorter and have fewer enemies, which is a shame because I like how "final dungeon-y" Ortel felt
- Season 2's dungeon system has been revamped to more closely mimic Season 1's dungeon system
- In related news: Relics, Trials of Macha, and Treasure Hunting are all loving dead
- Hero Mode has been added to a bunch of S1 and S2 battle and they're all balanced around being level 90+
- Ore stacks in S1 and S2 battles will drop more Exquisite Iron Ore. Ore stacks in S3 will drop more Godly Iron Ore. Luminaries will give more Orbs.

quote:

Battle Balance Changes
- Nearly every S1 and S2 raid is not a raid any more. They're now normal battles with the usual 4-person limit
- Royal raids have been reduced again, to 12 people max
- Battles no longer scale boss HP to number of party members for some reason
- Niflheim fights have ATT limits

quote:

Battle Reward Revamp
- Equipment that drops in dungeons might come pre-enchanted or enhanced
- Blue level 90 mats are gone
- Buying stuff with legendary shard remnants is gone (gently caress you Dianann)
- Purple and Orange drop rates are going up, so less trash hopefully
- Getting break-offs in S3 battles will give Paradise stones or enhancement elixirs
- Most awakening stones have been shitcanned and only rank B and C stones will drop
- Life Ergs, Magic Powder, and Blessed Magic Powder have been added to S3 drop tables so you can craft HP potions and brynn elixirs

quote:

Graphics
- Tieve is going to look different in cutscenes
- Colhen looks better
- They changed the start screen so you have to enter a Neam raid if you want to scope them anime tiddies

quote:

Additional Changes
- They're trying to optimize the client :wow:

Holy moly, this post is massive. This might be a bad time to ask if you guys think we need a new thread with a new OP. It's pretty out of date.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 21, 2017

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Just did a quick run through to see what stuff felt like. These are my thoughts

1) They gave a refund for skills but I still don't really understand why skills cost gold in the first place?

2) Holy hell the end of battles is so much smoother and faster now. I remember rubbing my forehead when waiting for the results screen to show up after what seemed like a minute or more. I don't really care about the info displayed, it's how long it took

3) Colhen is a lot roomier now. The alley behind the inn on the way to the general store is a lot wider

4) Not having to do the whole boat animation is wonderful

5) Pots can be used even when you're receiving a long attack, e.g. Succubus' sucking attack

6) The old raids being moved to normal battles has reduced the challenge by a TON. I'm a lovely (lvl 70 with below average equips)player and I solo'd Siglint with ease. The pots being no danger to use had a big effect on that but the overall difficulty has been reduced by a noticeable amount.

7) I don't completely understand the arbitrary change of scrolls from 7-F -> A-5. In the end, nothing really changed did it? In other news, I got a maelstrom ES on my first run of Sig, so uh, that's cool.

8) The new movement speed is amazing. No more carpal tunnel from doing dodge dashes(to get across wider fields at least)

9) I'm not sure if this is only for Succubus, but her Ortel Map was literally one map and bypassed all of the annoying poo poo(like the room puzzle)

10) Mercenary Training and Perilous Ruins look a lot cooler. Though, I will miss the wood guys

11) I have no 90s because I originally stopped playing about 4 yrs ago(Shortly after Hurk and S2 P3). Due to the new path system, none of my chars can go super saiyan anymore. sad

12) In addition to Arisha and (especially) Fiona's speed being boosted, I think Fiona's 3rd smash has changed into an AOE kick? Much better than what it used to be

At the very least, this update really improved a lot of the UI and normal flow of gameplay(boarding boat, finishing quest, restarting, etc.). However, this update also reduced the challenge of pre-S3 content, which can be both good and bad. The EXP from NPC quests is quite generous, showing that they really are trying to speed up the process from 1-90. The UI stuff should've been done years ago, but it's still better late than never. I think the main beneficiaries of this will be more nooby people like me rather than experienced veterans

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I do 4x the damage now without changing anything and everything except Neamhain is a total joke rip.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Miri Vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st6a1s42l74

I'd like you to take special note at ~30s in for her...dodge? Cross-counter? I have no idea how that's supposed to work with the body.

I don't really think I need to mention the silly over the top ending to that video.

All that said, seeing the Crescent in action again made me wistful for Nar from Granado Espada/Sword of the New World/Sword 2

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
More things I've come to find out
With the crafting change(removal of basically all pre-S3 equip recipes from the NPCs), almost all recipes for Armor have, surprisingly, gone to Tailoring. Crafting recipes are more unified as well and probably easier, not counting the requisite pigments and additives.

Also, AP per battle is now tied to level vs battle as opposed to the battle itself. That means that you can run a single battle for 5 times(max daily battle limit for s1 & 2) for 50 AP. Also, the merc training area has a daily battle for 300 AP.

On difficulty, I've been finding that with my lower chars, the normal dungeons are actually harder than former raid bosses. One of the normal bosses in Sewers has more HP and harder hitting attacks than Thor. While the normal boss dies at a normal rate, like before, Thor literally melts, it's hilarious.

Scrolls drop like candy from former raiders, while equips made by those bosses seem to drop in the respective boat battles. Bosses also seem to drop the weapons their parts are used to make.

I'd like to make a personal call and say that Vindictus makes me think a lot of Phantasy Star Online's difficulty now. Now, this isn't a knock on PSO2, because I really like that more than this game, but more of a call on the difficulty alone. To me, PSO2 action is more super-fast with some gimmicks that don't reach the same level of difficulty or tightness as Vindis. (Of course, the interaction and customization is a lot better)The recent changes basically applied Easy Mode, or lower, on all the battles up to a certain point, basically removing that challenge barrier. I'm not sure if that's better or worse :shrug:

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

I really don't like the pre-S3 difficulty change for the reasons you stated: They make the content way too easy and the reduction isn't evenly applied. Not only are normal battles way easier than erstwhile raids, Hero Mode S1 raids are way harder than S2 Hero raids or even S3 raids. I think the devs made an actual, for-real mistake when adjusting the numbers and I hope they'll change them to something sensible. I know they want to make getting to 95 easy so that everybody is enjoying hard fights at endgame, but gently caress, man, where's the fun in getting to 95? Or going back and doing old content? Sure, Lionotus was pretty easy before but you felt like you kinda earned your seal of bravery. Now he dies in a few seconds and maybe you get a lovely scroll out of it.

Incidentally, I think that raid size should not have been reduced to four. I know eight is hard to host properly and a reduction helps more people than it hurts, but four-man raids feel lonely. Six would have been a decent number. I never felt lonely in Keaghan or Ulchas.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 26, 2017

Art Flower
Jan 11, 2014
Is there any active guild to join? I'm a returning player and I've never finished season 1 before, so I'm quite a newbie.

Art Flower
Jan 11, 2014
Oh... I forgot to say that I'm playing on East server

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Man this update is crazy. Sucks I'm stuck in Rocheste on like every char except my lann though

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's another event starting up.

quote:

The glory of a gorgeous set of wings accentuating your outfit is one of the rarer things in Vindictus, and we're giving everyone a taste of it with the brand-new Spirit Wings Event! Get tiny spirit wings from Colhen's Strange Traveler and make them grow to become as beautiful and powerful as possible!
Alright, so here's the deal: Go to the Strange Traveler, get incomplete spirit wings. Go out, do battles, get some kind of "heart powder." Turn in this heart powder for growth powder or magic powder to make your spirit wings bigger. At some point you can get an emblem and a title from the Traveling Stranger. You, plural, have until the 26th to do all of this. Personally, I don't give a fig about another set of ugly-rear end wings that clash with my superior styles. On the other hand, an emblem is nothing to scoff at.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 10, 2017

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's another attendance event.

quote:

Summer Warm-Up Attendance Event

Summer isn't over yet, and it's time for an attendance event to keep things nice and warm! Login to Vindictus every day for the next two weeks for a wide selection of prizes, including Goddess Graces, Storage Chest Expansion Ticket and your choice of a Legendary Shard!
It's another "log in for thirty minutes and you get a thing" event. Rewards are alright. Not really looking forward to getting rubies from those bracelet gem boxes but if you're gunning for silver bracelets then you've got room for rubies in your heart. I'm not sure what you can do with a single dye ampoule, even if it is your choice of color. You could get a miscolored outfit piece to match another one? It is useful to note that the storage expansion ticket is not permanent, and the only use for a temporary chest is to dump event poo poo into. You only really need an hour, tops, to do that. So enjoy using your free Godly Iron Ore for material synthesis except oops, the price is insanely high so you'll go broke using that iron. Welp :shrug:

koekje4life
Aug 11, 2013
I finally managed to transfer my EU account to US, so I'll soon be able to play Vindictus again. loving Nexon. The transfer system is horribly broken and kept throwing out errors even though the transfer had succeeded.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

The level cap is going up to 95 in a week. Here's the preview.

quote:

Wednesday, July 26th brings forth the next episode of Vindictus' epic story as the level cap goes up to 95! This next update will have plenty do dive into, including a slew of events, a new box filled with new outfits, new items to claim and a brand new raid, as you face off against a brand new, armored foe.
It wouldn't be a brand-new raid if it had a familiar foe in it :colbert:

quote:

Level Cap Extended to 95

As the war for the fate of Rocheste, Colhen and humanity as a whole continues, the mercenaries of Vindictus have grown even stronger, and the latest plateau to their power has finally been surpassed. With the Dullahan at 95 update, the level cap has been increased to Level 95!

With every new level, mercenaries will gain bonuses to their base stats, an increase to the DEF cap, use powerful new enchantments and more. You'll need the new power to come, because the forces arrayed against humanity show no sign of calming...
I've been stockpiling seals of bravery in anticipation of this. Not that I have much to show for it since there are substantially fewer true raids now.

quote:

Explore Donegal

The Royal Army is on the march as the threat to humanity has grown too great for any response but open warfare. As a certain warrior recovers from her recent ordeal, the survivors of Berbhe brace themselves for what is to come and the scheming within the forces of humanity grows out of control, it will take more than fighting to win the day...

Continue Vindictus' epic story with a new episode, as the politics of Rocheste make their way to the battlefield, with the Dullahan at 95 update. You'll need to have completed the Ceara Interlude to begin the new Episode.
Oh no, a snow area. I'm looking forward to fighting in white on white areas.

quote:

New Raid: Dullahan

A powerful artifact has been discovered in Donegal, but as with most things of power, an entity of tremendous power stands in it's defense. With the Dullahan at 95 update, step forth into a brand new raid and take down the mighty mystical menace, Dullahan.

When wielding a massive greatsword, this thirty foot tall uninhabited suit of armor might seem like a simple foe to face, but the magics that empower this enemy have given it a powerful edge, reforging the mighty guardian's sundered soul to act as a shield, blunting blades and turning aside even the most potent magic.

Find a way to break the shield, and ward off both mundane and mystical assaults to defeat this guardian and claim the relic it defends... plus a few other useful things.
It just wouldn't be Vindictus without a golem boss showing up out of nowhere. Hey, doesn't Abom also have an "impervious to damage unless you do an arbitrary thing" gimmick? They're already going to reuse that, huh?

quote:

New Equipment: Dullahan Set

Defeat Dullahan or open Vindicator Boxes to claim Dullahan's Essence, required to craft the new item set. This set of items can only be equipped by Level 95 characters, and can be empowered with Legendary Shards of all sorts. You will need to defeat Dullahan to learn how to craft these items via the Composite System.
It looks okay if you're a dude and it looks dumb if you're a lady. You still gotta try for it because it's level 95 gear oh dang what an upgrade.

koekje4life posted:

I finally managed to transfer my EU account to US, so I'll soon be able to play Vindictus again. loving Nexon. The transfer system is horribly broken and kept throwing out errors even though the transfer had succeeded.
I'm surprised it worked at all. I assumed we had already passed the point where unclaimed accounts got nuked, but I suppose I was being pessimistic.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 20, 2017

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Dullahan is here, along with some other bullshit.

quote:

It's time to dive back into the story of Vindictus with another update filled with goodies! Climb to level 95, battle through the frozen expanse of Donegal, gear up with new items and take on a powerful new foe, Dullahan.
Blah blah blah all this crap is the same as the preview I posted a few days ago. Let's get to the new stuff and by new stuff I mean the stuff I overlooked in the preview:

quote:

Defeating Dullahan will also allow Brynn to craft two new, powerful rings, the Frozen Will and Frozen Thorn. Craft them now, and be ready for their companion rings that are on the horizon...
Much like Abom, Dullahan can drop an orange essence just for crafting an accessory. This time it's a ring. It doesn't rule them all but it does rule. Each one goes with a second ring. Those rings won't come out for several months and by then you'll have forgotten about the set thing.

quote:

New Enchant Scrolls

Three new, Rank 6 Enchant Scrolls have been added, each of which has a chance to drop in all Season 3 Raids, with the following effects:

Chaotic Enchant Scroll

Rank 6 Prefix Enchant
Weapons
+340 ATT/M.ATT
+4 Attack Speed
+9% Critical Rate
-4% Critical Resistance

Heartless Enchant Scroll

Rank 6 Prefix Enchant
Head or Leg Armor
+245 ATT/M.ATT
+200 DEF
+2 Attack Speed
+2% Critical Rate
+4% Critical Resistance
+2 Balance

Weeping Enchant Scroll

Rank 6 Prefix Enchant
Hand or Feet Armor
+145 ATT/M.ATT
+300 DEF
+2 Attack Speed
+2% Critical Rate
+3 Balance
-1% Critical Resistance
Rank six? More like rank sucks. The bonuses are beefy but Rise made it easy to get good enchants that won't break your gear. Your precious, now-obsolete gear.

quote:

Bug Fixes, Game Improvements and Other Changes
There's a lot here. There usually is. Good for them. The highlights:
- New expertise recipes
- Bugfixes involving cooldowns not showing up in the quickbar
- Secondary weapons do more damage if you have Secondary Weapon Proficiency leveled. Which you should. Why wouldn't you?

There are a bunch of events going on now.

quote:

There's a lot in the Dullahan at 95 update, with a new level cap, new zone, new boss, new gear and more, but we're hardly done. There's five new events to tide you over for the next month! Claim outfits, battle through Donegal, race your way to level 95 and more!
Five is an okay number of events.

quote:

Goddess Fragment Event

The power of the Goddess Morrighan can be found in all manner of objects, and a special statue of the Goddess has a power that's ready to grow, it just needs a little more power. Claim Stattuete shards by completing Daily Missions and restore the artifact, with a pile of potions, Goddess Graces and even a unique Tattoo and Outfit as a reward!
This stuff is useful but not exciting. The outfit reward is limited compared to the outfit ticket giveaway because it's only valid for two outfits and it's not mix-and-match.

So anyway: Remember the easter bunny event? Remember how the bunny pet was cute, had a personality, and smoked weed? Now you get a pet goddess statue and it's just creepy. It changes color and you stick the correctly-colored shard into it to level it up. A lot easier to deal with, though.

quote:

Donegal's Traveler Event

The Dullahan at 95 update contains a brand new area to battle in, along with the new raid, along with 5 new levels to scale up. Spend your time in Donegal and gain special Blessings that can either give you a half-hour long power boost, or be exchanged for a selection of items!
Short version: Beat the new bosses to get coupons. Trade in the coupons for rewards. Most expensive reward is an emblem for fifty coupons. Also of interest of a batch of ten triumph medals for thirty coupons. You can get this three times per character for a total of ninety coupons. That's a lot of boss farming. If you want, you can also use the tickets themselves to get a buff that lasts for half an hour.

quote:

Summer Weekends Event

Summer is here, and we're giving away special rewards for the next eight weekends! Claim Runes, a Quality +1 Coupon, special spectacles and more!
Log in every Saturday and Sunday to get something good. I hope. I'm a bit unnerved by these items:
Saturday, September 16th: Reilly's Face Oil
Sunday, September 17th: Reilly's Body Oil

quote:

Race to 95 Event

Think you can make it to Level 95 faster than anyone? There's a pair of new titles on the line, one for anyone that manages to hit Level 95 before August 30th, and another to see which players can hit the newest level cap fastest on each class!
I'm pretty sure we've already lost the races to 95, but we can still get titles for reaching 95 before the end of August. Finally, I can spend excess AP on exp blessing stones.

UPDATE: Legendary Shards aren't used in Dullahan gear. You have to farm Legendary Chunks now :geno:

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 13, 2017

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Hulu, stop cheating us on with neam and come back to LH

also i got both a lich set and a reggie wings

i am rich bitch

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Hulu, stop cheating us on with neam and come back to LH

also i got both a lich set and a reggie wings

i am rich bitch

I quit when rise happened :ssh:

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

:frogsiren: :freep: Hurk's new weapon is coming holy poo poo :freep: :frogsiren:

quote:

Teide Registration Event

Claim Hurk's new weapon class as the miracle of gunpowder arrives to the world of Vindictus!

The powerful mercenary Hurk has favored one weapon above all for a long time, the massive, brutish Greatsword. But while it might be fearsome in the brutal melee, not all enemies are eager to rush the seven foot berserker. Hurk has learned a new way to slay the Fomor Horde, pairing a vicious longsword with a strange, violent cannon, leaving the warrior's foes an assault they cannot flee.

Register before August 28th to claim your very own Hurk Teide Package when this explosive new weapon hits Vindictus! This package features a high-level Teide weapon, a wealth of AP to power up Hurk's new abilities and a selection of utility items to improve your adventures to come. This package will be sent to your highest level Hurk and can be used within 30 days after acquiring it. If you do not have a Hurk character created, it will be sent to your highest level character and can be traded, so that a Hurk character can open it.

Remember to register before August 28th and login before September 30th to receive your FREE Hurk Teide Package!
Go to the page and register if you have a Hurk or will make a Hurk. If you don't have a Hurk then don't bother.

Also, what's this about the miracle of gunpowder arriving to Vindictus? Lots of poo poo in Vindictus has gunpowder in it. We have bombs. There are cannons. There are bombs fired from cannons. :colbert:

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 17, 2017

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

Thanks for reminding people that this game exists :)

Is it worth trying again? Do people still play?

My friends and I like to revisit old MMOs just for the heck of it.

Edit: Ooh, it is conveniently on Steam...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played this again for a few minutes and its good to know that despite all the new classes, Fiona is still the best for the kick attack that does insane damage.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpAqQwG8HxM

Ator posted:

Thanks for reminding people that this game exists :)

Is it worth trying again? Do people still play?

My friends and I like to revisit old MMOs just for the heck of it.

Edit: Ooh, it is conveniently on Steam...
People still play and smaller raids mean that boats go up more often. They also fill up in the time it takes for you to react to announcements so welp.

Today was the update. Here are some deets.

The hell is a teide? Is it the gun? Is it the sword+gun combo? Is it the sword+gun fighting style?

quote:

The Teide has arrived, and Hurk's newest weapon is hitting with a bang! Take a look at the newest weapon style, get a peek at the new Primal Flame weapons in the Hero's Lucky Box and take part in some new events and more!

New Weapon Style: Teide

In the past, Hurk's been known for being as subtle as, well, an eight foot long sword pounding a goblin into the ground. The Teide combat style changes little on that front, but trades the massive greatsword in for a longsword and a heavy shotgun.

Hurk's Normal Attacks to strike at foes with the sword, wounding them and making them more vulnerable to further strikes. Meanwhile his Smash attacks will fire his shotgun, dealing massive damage to enemies in front of him at close to medium range. As mighty as the shotgun is, it still needs shells to shoot. These shots can be loaded one at a time during a dodge or right before a shotgun blast, or two at once when using the Dodge command while standing still.
And there's the catch: You have to load the gun and loading the gun takes time. Which means if you do it during a chain, you might end up eating a hit due to bad timing. Then again, it's possible to reload while dodging and dodging is a thing people tend to do so it may not be too awkward.

A whole new Huuuurk / A whole new way of slaughtering monsters

quote:

Bingo Event

We've brought back Bingo, but no more needing to find the exact Battle Quest needed to claim a ticket. Complete Battle Quests to claim Bingo Tickets, turn those tickets into Bingo Numbers and fill in your board for a large selection of prizes, featuring an adorable Kitty Tail and two exclusive emotes!
Those free emotes are really loving something. I don't know why one requires eight lines and the other needs a blackout because they're both equally stupid-looking.

quote:

Sprint Event

Need a bit more of an edge in battle? Get into stride with the Sprint Event, boosting your Attack, Attack Speed and more with every Battle Quest you complete per day!
Every day, you can get a buff by completing battles. The boosts are nice. I'd be more impressed if it actually increased move speed but that could come with unforeseeable consequences.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Some updates today. The 7th anniversary is here. Halloween is here. Two of my characters got cheated out of bingo rewards because when they say the board is up until the 27th, they meant they'd take it down right before I wake up today. At least I didn't lose out on emotes because those chars hadn't gotten enough lines. That would have stung enough for me to complain to people who might be able to do something about it.

I don't have time to do the full overview right now but I will point out that this event appears to involve a ton of busywork so you'd better get to it. Also, they fixed a surprising number of bugs so hooray.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 27, 2017

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Bakalakadaka posted:

I quit when rise happened :ssh:

come back

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Come back... for Halloween. Or don't.

quote:

It's a bit under three weeks until Halloween arrives, and we're kicking it into high gear with bloodsoaked outfits, candy treats and a new... special bath soap? Enjoy this year's Vindictus Halloween Event, claim your bright green or orange hairstyles and gobble up the tasty Ergs before November arrives!
Yay. Yaaaay.

quote:

Vindictus Halloween Event

Halloween is quickly approaching and the Strange Traveler is already having a blast! He's discovered some strange spirits surpising enterprising adventurers on their rounds with special treats and a fancy pumpkin head, and there's prizes to be had for those that seek them out and claim the costumes needed for trick or treating!
I don't like the costume stuff. I don't like the non-costume stuff. I have hundreds of graces and thousands of merc pots on all of my characters. The special soap is weak, too. Don't get me started on the trick candy; I just finished using up last year's trick-or-treat cupcakes and did not like them.

If you DO need merc pots or graces, please participate for your own sake. They even scale the event so it's straightforward at nearly every level. The cat will tell you what battle to run for your decidedly non-eternal reward.

quote:

Halloween Orange and Green Hair

We're bringing out a treat with the bright Orange and Green Halloween Hair colors! Any hair purchased with these colors will last past the end of the sale, so grab a new style and wear it with pride!
I normally omit sale info, but if you've got lots of AP you can buy 7-day unlimited hair coupons and make use of these colors. You finally have access to the right shade of orange to dress as Neamhain and just in time for a costume party.

quote:

Spooooooooooky Ergs!

The Ergs have turned Halloween themed as well. Gobble up Jack o' Lantern and Pastry style Ergs to restore your health for the next two weeks!
They're pumpkins and donuts now. That's it.

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

fursonally, i am amused by how effortlessly low rent this year is