Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

I think this at the very least should stop people from freaking out about Hill 2020. She knows she couldn't win another primary lmao

AKTSCHUALLY she's gonna run with chelsea and bill as a weird 3 person ticket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/okayplayer/status/868829222046883840

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thoguh posted:

I mean, it was an organization that she'd had immense influence over for decades. So that does check out.

She also has an incredible affinity for blaming everything elsewhere.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://twitter.com/Naseeoh/status/870001336749744128

CC/Venom Snake can you tell me more about this? I thought Obama was a smashing success? What happened that all that fell apart within a few years?

Sincere questions, btw

Iv never said that Obama was a smashing success; it's the opposite. He totally let the party infrastructure rot in favor of his own campaigns and orgs. I dislike him as much as I dislike Hillary for that exact reason.

He could have gotten rid of DWS at any point but chose not to. He's a loving idiot :shrug:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
bernie owns part the infinity

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/870021835320172545

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Venom Snake posted:

Iv never said that Obama was a smashing success; it's the opposite. He totally let the party infrastructure rot in favor of his own campaigns and orgs. I dislike him as much as I dislike Hillary for that exact reason.

He could have gotten rid of DWS at any point but chose not to. He's a loving idiot :shrug:

i don't think obama "let the party infrastructure rot" so much as the infrastructure was already irreparably rotten and he simply worked around it. there are so many states where the same typical people established themselves as gatekeepers on particular sets of voters or issues and presidential campaigns would be forced to hand them money - obama just said "gently caress that" and built a parallel operation that simply did everything himself. which i generally think was the right move. suffice to say the party's structure in many places is too in the pocket of political interests mostly intent on ruling a powerless fiefdom to deal appropriately with the modern world of professionalized campaigns.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

if only he worked on his campaign prep as much as his twitter game

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Concerned Citizen posted:

i don't think obama "let the party infrastructure rot" so much as the infrastructure was already irreparably rotten and he simply worked around it. there are so many states where the same typical people established themselves as gatekeepers on particular sets of voters or issues and presidential campaigns would be forced to hand them money - obama just said "gently caress that" and built a parallel operation that simply did everything himself. which i generally think was the right move.

I'm glad it's paid off with the GOP holding control over all 3 branches of government

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Venom Snake posted:

I'm glad it's paid off with the GOP holding control over all 3 branches of government

i wouldn't say those two things are really related

lest we forget, this not the first time the democrats have found themselves in the wilderness even in recent history

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bernie's like cream, he's so topical.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

i wouldn't say those two things are really related

lest we forget, this not the first time the democrats have found themselves in the wilderness even in recent history

The president is the leader of the party. He chose to neglect the partys success and chose to promote his own. Running two good presidential campaigns does not absolve him of the failures that occurred on his watch.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

i don't think obama "let the party infrastructure rot" so much as the infrastructure was already irreparably rotten and he simply worked around it. there are so many states where the same typical people established themselves as gatekeepers on particular sets of voters or issues and presidential campaigns would be forced to hand them money - obama just said "gently caress that" and built a parallel operation that simply did everything himself. which i generally think was the right move. suffice to say the party's structure in many places is too in the pocket of political interests mostly intent on ruling a powerless fiefdom to deal appropriately with the modern world of professionalized campaigns.

building his own personal parallel political operation dedicated solely to his own reelection worked passably well for him, but few other Dems have the resources to build a whole new personal campaign infrastructure

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

hillary would do even worse in a 2020 primary, she has even fewer allies in the dnc and she's lost twice

that doesn't mean she won't loving try though

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

UHD posted:

hillary would do even worse in a 2020 primary, she has even fewer allies in the dnc and she's lost twice

that doesn't mean she won't loving try though

i hope she does because it will only help whoevers running against her

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Venom Snake posted:

i hope she does because it will only help whoevers running against her

Actually yeah, I agree, a decisive defeat of Hillary in the primary would be a pretty clear signal that things were different this time around.

That said... I'd rather not risk it.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Venom Snake posted:

The president is the leader of the party. He chose to neglect the partys success and chose to promote his own. Running two good presidential campaigns does not absolve him of the failures that occurred on his watch.

the president didn't "neglect the party's success." the downballot losing was not some deliberate strategy. it's not like he didn't fundraise a ton of money for the downballot, or campaign a lot when he was asked to do so. what he didn't do was fix a fundamentally broken party structure, which is really an impossible task. to be useful, the party needs to be essentially dissolved and totally revamped to eliminate the iron chokehold influential morons have on the county and state parties. the obama campaign in 2008 and 2012 recognized that state parties, in their current structure, are obsolete and chose to go around them and run a good campaign rather than watch their funds and staff get siphoned into doing stupid poo poo that doesn't serve the interest of electing democrats

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Actually yeah, I agree, a decisive defeat of Hillary in the primary would be a pretty clear signal that things were different this time around.

That said... I'd rather not risk it.

you never know when those pesky minorities who live in states where their votes really shouldn't count anyway might derail the great hope

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

the president didn't "neglect the party's success." the downballot losing was not some deliberate strategy. it's not like he didn't fundraise a ton of money for the downballot, or campaign a lot when he was asked to do so. what he didn't do was fix a fundamentally broken party structure, which is really an impossible task. to be useful, the party needs to be essentially dissolved and totally revamped to eliminate the iron chokehold influential morons have on the county and state parties. the obama campaign in 2008 and 2012 recognized that state parties, in their current structure, are obsolete and chose to go around them and run a good campaign rather than watch their funds and staff get siphoned into doing stupid poo poo that doesn't serve the interest of electing democrats

"It would be hard" is not an excuse for neglect. Even if said neglect was unintentional.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

if that's true then the dems imploding was going to happen eventually and obama just delayed it for eight years

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Main Paineframe posted:

building his own personal parallel political operation dedicated solely to his own reelection worked passably well for him, but few other Dems have the resources to build a whole new personal campaign infrastructure

i've worked on 10 campaigns in 8 states and the one thing in common is that they've run more smoothly the more independent they are able to be from the state party. state parties rarely provide resources of any significance, the only reason campaigns get lashed to them is as a legal funding mechanism to allow federal committees to contribute

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Venom Snake posted:

"It would be hard" is not an excuse for neglect. Even if said neglect was unintentional.

it's not a "it would be hard," it's a "obama doesn't have the power." the people who would decide whether or not to reform are the same ones who would find themselves losing their positions if the reforms succeeded. it is a fundamentally impossible task, short of everyone dying.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

it is a fundamentally impossible task, short of everyone dying.

...go on

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

zegermans posted:

you never know when those pesky minorities who live in states where their votes really shouldn't count anyway might derail the great hope

why are you deliberately trying to make the suck zone suck? do you have some personal issues going on with your life? do you want to talk about it? we're all friendly here in cspam

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

UHD posted:

if that's true then the dems imploding was going to happen eventually and obama just delayed it for eight years
they've been imploding since they backstabbed their base of labor and civil rights sometime round the 80s, leaving them to work with the judicial system to get unfucked instead

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Nice

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

fuckin reagan broke all the brains

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

i've worked on 10 campaigns in 8 states and the one thing in common is that they've run more smoothly the more independent they are able to be from the state party. state parties rarely provide resources of any significance, the only reason campaigns get lashed to them is as a legal funding mechanism to allow federal committees to contribute

the state parties should be fixed, or replaced

leaving a poo poo infrastructure in place and instead making candidates spend resources on replacing it is a massive inefficiency

it's the political equivalent of "fixing" education with charter schools and school choice instead of making public schools better

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
the problem with state parties is not that they have too little money, or have received too little support from the national party. the problem is the people who lead them - becoming a leader in a state party relies on being friends with a lot of people, and has absolutely no relation whatsoever to experience or competence. and those leaders will typically choose to bring in loyalists to cement their control rather than actually improve the party's activites, in fact many state parties effectively do nothing other than fundraise to pay for their own salaries. this is, fundamentally, not "fixable." and there's no real reason why we need to fix it, instead we need to clearly detach campaigns from the party infrastructure, developing methods to allow them to finance and function independently while parties are relegated to simple logistical roles.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Main Paineframe posted:

the state parties should be fixed, or replaced

leaving a poo poo infrastructure in place and instead making candidates spend resources on replacing it is a massive inefficiency

it's the political equivalent of "fixing" education with charter schools and school choice instead of making public schools better

the thing is, there's no inefficiency because the candidates aren't replacing anything that already exists or could be more efficiently done by the party. the only thing might be coordinated campaigns in certain areas, and that sometimes will go through county/state parties depending on the finance laws. in va i have seen it go through a PAC because their finance laws for local races are like lol.

if anyone can develop some magic method of fixing or replacing state parties, i'd love to hear it. as far as i can tell, they are essentially permanently entrenched.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
state parties seem to work out ok for the republicans, maybe we should ask them

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Joementum posted:

they work fine for them since they don't care about ideology, just getting as much control and money as possible, so the phenomenon CC describes doesn't prevent them from carrying out their purpose

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Joementum posted:

i doubt it, and i don't think electoral success in an individual state indicates whether or not the state party itself is actually a competent organization

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SKULL.GIF posted:

they work fine for them since they don't care about ideology

the Republican Party is much, much more concerned about ideology than the democrats are

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

the problem with state parties is not that they have too little money, or have received too little support from the national party. the problem is the people who lead them - becoming a leader in a state party relies on being friends with a lot of people, and has absolutely no relation whatsoever to experience or competence. and those leaders will typically choose to bring in loyalists to cement their control rather than actually improve the party's activites, in fact many state parties effectively do nothing other than fundraise to pay for their own salaries. this is, fundamentally, not "fixable." and there's no real reason why we need to fix it, instead we need to clearly detach campaigns from the party infrastructure, developing methods to allow them to finance and function independently while parties are relegated to simple logistical roles.

sure it's fixable - boot out the crony networks and replace them with people who have political objectives beyond paying their own salaries

if it's not fixable, then abolish them altogether and recreate them totally. no point in having them suck up money if they're useless. but having common infrastructure and logistics that political newbies can hook into is actually super important, and letting local and state races wither on the vine because "the candidate could just come up with their own individual political operation if they want to win" is incredibly elitist

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Joementum posted:

the Republican Party is much, much more concerned about ideology than the democrats are

Yeah I was gonna say.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

why are you deliberately trying to make the suck zone suck? do you have some personal issues going on with your life? do you want to talk about it? we're all friendly here in cspam

Anyone who willingly posts on ESS is clearly not right in the head

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
By the way I was involved with a state party and that way CC's describing them is so accurate it hurts.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I don't see how you reconcile something like Medicare Part C and single payer.

why not? My preference would be for nationalized healthcare ala the u.k. but having private insurers adminster single-payer under Medicare has worked out pretty much, given that the government still sets reimbursement rates and insurance premiums.

when I scoped out the medicare plans being offered this year there were plenty of supplemental plans that charged nothing beyond the Part B premiums and yet had reasonable caps on out-of-pocket costs, like $2500/year (as opposed to my crap ACA plan limited to one hospital + a $7k deductible/year).

weird how "pragmatists" and incrementalists are OK with ACA's massive deductibles, or the 3x multiplier in premium costs for near-olds, but the modest costs under medicare are somehow a bridge too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rastor posted:

Everything you can do for money, doing it is moral and just. Being paid to do something is sufficient reason to do it, and nobody should ever dare question why you are doing that thing.

you're doing that thing where if you imagine that we only had more compassionate capitalist overlords, everything would be OK

• Locked thread