Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Ah, so they arent true Scotsman Christians. How utterly convenient for you.

They are Christian, but American Christianity is just weird in general in both political directions.

And a lot of the weirdness in the rest of the world in Christianity, is coming from American Christains. They get around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

BrandorKP posted:

They are Christian, but American Christianity is just weird in general in both political directions.

And a lot of the weirdness in the rest of the world in Christianity, is coming from American Christains. They get around.

It really isn't. In most of the christian world the main powerful entity is the catholic church and it is quite able to keep being as reactionary as it's always been entirely on its own. Nothing american about the founding of Hazte Oir, or about the pope's own homophobia, or about the marche pour tous. Nothing american about the catholic church opposing contraceptives in Africa either.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

That's fair. And that's going to be a hard one to ever get the catholics to change on.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

Where do you think American Christians got their weirdness from?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

BrandorKP posted:

The Greek philosophy schools were religions. They fit well most definitions of cults. They even have saviors. What we think of as the characteristics of religions, well quite a lot of that comes from them. Further, secular has changed in meaning over the years, what was meant by the word at the time of founding fathers?

Except that the Enlightenment was a cherry picking of democratic and philosophical ideas, not going whole hog on the cults of honor that were rampant with the Greeks and Romans.

Also, secularism wasn't used in its modern vernacular until the 1800s. We are using modern terms to describe the actions and expressed beliefs of people in the past.

Jefferson "threw shade" at people, even if he would never use those words. The evidence for the secularism of the founding fathers doesn't come from them specifically saying "secularism is good".

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

BrandorKP posted:

Most of the problem is American protestants, outside of much of that tradition and who are more American than Christian.

Really wish American protestants hadn't done that whole Inquisition or Crusades thing.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RandomBlue posted:

Really wish American protestants hadn't done that whole Inquisition or Crusades thing.

Or that drat American pope having missionaries tell African people that condoms don't prevent aids. Or well known American Mother Theresa letting sick people die in agony while she gets the best healthcare all the money donated to her can buy.

Truly American Christians are the source of all of Christianity's ills.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

BrandorKP posted:

The problem is this isn't limited to American Christians and their weirdness. The weirdness is world wide. It is also mainstream, not that there are weird fringes everywhere.

The Orthodox and Catholic Churches were the source of most of this, but collectively they represent the origin of like 99% of modern sects.

Agnosticnixie posted:

So are you planning on just pretending 2000 years of church history isn't true christianity because it doesn't fit your politics? Because Schweitzer had something to say about that.

I'm assuming he had an American education in history, and our teaching is almost cult like. The narrative we teach until the college level is spiritually injected until it becomes propaganda for Christian morality. It's so powerful that people were aghast that I asserted MLK's speeches and works on civil rights were secularly focused.

It started with the framing of Puritans escaping for religious freedom. The truth was Puritans were intolerant and worked against commonwealth laws and customs that they didn't think were extreme enough. After being trouble causing assholes they got kicked out to go create a religious based community that would prove their faith is the best. Within months of moving here they were shocked and dismayed they had to execute a young man who committed beastiality. They thought by distancing themselves from other corrupt sects then people left would be pure good Christians and their society wouldn't have such ungodly disgusting things. They were a weird people and more like a cult than a group of martyrs escaping persecution.

Also, it ignores that the overwhelming majority of early settlers were looking for economic opportunity and religion was secondary. It's a nice start to the framing of America being firmly linked to progressive Christianity though.

Then the founding fathers are all presented as Christians who believed in religious freedom. This ignores that Diests are barely even Christian, and they explicitly wanted religion kept out of their legal framework. They still bring up separation of church and state, but Puritans, Quakers, Calvanists, etc and their influence is given far more focus, despite being pretty small minorities in terms of demographics.

The abolition movement, as I've already discussed previously, has been skewed through the historical lens to the point of fun house mirrors. The major things that successfully moved public opinion and tangibly ended slavery were secular. Assault on the right to petition, equal protection under the law, state's rights, etc. is what moved northern Whites en masse. The biggest movements protecting slavery were religiously based though, and the Baptist and Catholic churches were far, far larger than the northern abolitionist churches. They effectively made more people pro-slavery than the northern churches made people anti-slavery.

But somehow Christianity was super important and helpful in the abolition movement. It's a rewriting of history that continues to this day.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RasperFat posted:

I appreciate the effort post, but linguistics =/= physical sciences. I was a communication studies major, so I feel you in well educated people using theories I disagree with in large groups. Muted Group Theory is popular among feminist crowds, but I find that language is probably more effectively used by women and minorities and societal structures are entirely what is responsible for language not being as effective for those groups.

But the problem here is social science theories are nowhere near the equivalent of physical science theories. They are closer than the colloquial use of "I have a theory", but are still nowhere near the equivalent of a physical science theory like gravity. We eventually found Newton's theory wasn't quite right and left out relativity. Then we found out Einstein's theory of relativity wasn't quite right either and we are trying to explain quantum mechanics now.

But those men weren't "wrong", you could repeatedly use their models to get predictable results with practical application. When we were still Earthbound, for all intents and purposes plug in 9.8m/s^2 plus wind resistance and you can calculate trajectories on Earth like a motherfucker. Add in Einstein's additions when leaving Earth's gravity to actively map the forces required to get to other celestial bodies, like the Moon and Mars which we have successfully done. Who knows what we can figure out once we get quantum mechanics down.

These theories have practical applications that are tested over and over and over again in lab settings and in the field. Linguistic theories don't have the same history or verifiability behind them.

We can teach beliefs and theories as part of history, but it should be framed correctly. If Chomskian and ID are both popular theories that haven't been fully flushed out and accepted, than you should teach both and try to be more objective. When we discuss the breaking edge of research in science classes there are multiple competing theories presented as well. Is String Theory, Superstring Theory, or M-Theory accurate? We're not sure! Here's what the modern experts think might be likely. The science teacher shouldn't take a strong position if there isn't a consensus in the field.

Being a moderate creationist or whatever is fine, even if I wouldn't prefer it. YEC is crazytown nonsense. The equivalent in the field of linguistics would be accepting a new linguistics teacher who believes that God created every language as is currently exists a few thousand years ago, no exceptions. It's something so outrageously wrong on a fundamental level that the person saying that has no business trying to teach linguistics to others.

I'm sure there are plenty of creationist who are smarter than me, intelligence is a strange and varied thing. In fact the exceedingly rare genius YEC might be able to compartmentalize their inane belief in a science setting and make contributions, but the overwhelming effect of spreading and normalizing this belief is anti-science.

It should be clarified again that I am exclusively talking about YEC, not creationists in general. While I'd still argue against the idea itself, if a teacher thinks God started the Big Bang and gently guided evolution to allow for humans then whatever. It wouldn't interfere with any of the actual science.
Sorry for not having picked up on this. Are you still interested in my response RF?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Sorry for not having picked up on this. Are you still interested in my response RF?

Sure I am. I always find non-hostile discussions like this interesting.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I actually don't really see how you've encountered the meat of the issue - that what matters is not the teacher's beliefs, but their ability and willingness to communicate scientific consensus. I've claimed these are orthogonal. I mean, I've not argued for a "teach the controversy" position, I'm not saying teaching Chomsky is teaching controversy and we should do it, I'm saying: I personally think Chomskian linguistics is insane, but regardless of how it will eventually turn out, regardless of if I'm betting on the winning horse here, what should matter for me being qualified and allowed to teach is not what I believe to be true, but if I am able and willing to explain to a student Chomskian linguistics.
And I'm claiming this is possible: people are able to teach stuff they believe is incorrect. In fact, in a sense everyone teaching non-relativistic physics is doing that - they're teaching what they know to be incomplete physics. (But you can only bring out relativity later.)

So you're saying, "the science teacher shouldn't take a strong position if there isn't a consensus in the field", and yes - but that is possible for the creationist too. If, which I think you do, by "take a strong position" you don't mean what they personally subscribe to, but their classroom behavior.

Of course, it is likely that it will be very rare for YECs to neutrally explain physics. But if you have someone who can do it, then I don't think you have put forward an argument excluding them.

Or am I missing the crucial argument you're making here?

RasperFat posted:

Sure I am. I always find non-hostile discussions like this interesting.
I also wanna say how terrifying it is that "non-hostile" is a special form of discussion, noteworthily special even.
I mean, I guess a few years ago, I was the king of bad arguing too, just yelling and biting everywhere. But you try to talk to people with different views you somehow don't want to all put into the bin you have mentally reserved for looneys, non-hostility becomes a crucial trait.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 26, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Cingulate posted:

I personally think Chomskian linguistics is insane, but regardless of how it will eventually turn out, regardless of if I'm betting on the winning horse here, what should matter for me being qualified and allowed to teach is not what I believe to be true, but if I am able and willing to explain to a student Chomskian linguistics.
This is weird to me, because I can't imagine anything where I could believe both "thinking X is insane" and "we should teach students X". Like if I were an advanced 18th century scientist who figured out phlogiston is nonsense, even though the consensus was that phlogiston was awesome, I wouldn't be arguing "even though phlogiston is bullshit, what makes me a qualified scientist is my ability to convince students it isn't bullshit". If I ever took a teaching position where I was required to teach something I knew to be false, it would only ever be with intention of subverting the falsehoods as much as I possibly could. Maybe people will argue that just makes me a lovely teacher, but teaching known falsehoods as anything other than historic mistakes seems like the bigger crime.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

twodot posted:

This is weird to me, because I can't imagine anything where I could believe both "thinking X is insane" and "we should teach students X". Like if I were an advanced 18th century scientist who figured out phlogiston is nonsense, even though the consensus was that phlogiston was awesome, I wouldn't be arguing "even though phlogiston is bullshit, what makes me a qualified scientist is my ability to convince students it isn't bullshit". If I ever took a teaching position where I was required to teach something I knew to be false, it would only ever be with intention of subverting the falsehoods as much as I possibly could. Maybe people will argue that just makes me a lovely teacher, but teaching known falsehoods as anything other than historic mistakes seems like the bigger crime.
Ok, I think this has gotten me a bit closer to getting RasperFat's point.

First, being a good scientist != being a good teacher. To begin with, all kinds of literally insane people should be allowed to do research - obviously; e.g., he inventor of MRI or the leader of the human gene project being creationists. If there's some convinced hardcore Nazi who somehow finds their passion in some advanced mathematical studies everyone agrees are super useful, should they get funding? I think, of course. Should they get funding for human genetics research? Probably not. Although on the other hand, should Francis Crick, discoverer of the DNA get funding for human genetics research? Probably, even though he's said some controversial stuff too. So it's muddy.

But about teaching. On one hand, I'm considering a part of this might be specific to the human sciences and proto-sciences, where it's much harder to see what is the truth than in physics. So the situation in linguistics is, I believe the Chomskian approach is bad, but it is an evident fact a lot of extremely intelligent people who've read a lot of relevant literature think it's the greatest. In my view, although sometimes people from my camp, and often people from the Chomskian camp, act as if the other side was easily dismissed, this is not the case: it's not perfectly obvious which side is right at this moment, and a reasonable person can sympathize with either side. In something like physics or biology, it's very hard for a reasonable person to believe the earth is 6000 years old or humans are anything but apes.
But even there, you have people who believe in superstring theory and those who don't, and from what I can tell, you have a lot of very intelligent people on either side.

So again, my point is, if you're being honest, you have to admit there are aeras of genuine controversy. Is there a rich biological substrate for language learning, or is it mainly general pattern recognition? Is language underlyingly symbolic and logical, or stochastic and associative? In psychology and cognitive neuroscience, the situation is very similar - is there really one coherent entity at the bottom of intelligence, or is it inherently multi-facetted? Is the "negative" part of the dopamine signal of causal importance in learning? Is a periodic gamma oscillation underlying memory and binding, or is it just frequent firing fooling your FFTs? Reasonable people on either side of the debate.
Ok, but then, we're talking about biology, and there are aspects of biology where I know the situation to be just the same. Specifically, behavioral genetics. Some will say genes are the most important determiner of adult intelligence. Others say this conclusion is premature.

So I think in science, we're surrounded by people who 1. vehemently disagree with each other, 2. still should be able to understand that this disagreement is disagreement between two equally rational actors. This puts you in the awkward spot you note: that I am perfectly convinced of X, but I know you are convinced of Y, and I do not think you're stupid or underinformed. So how do we deal with that?
I would say, usually, badly. But if you are one of those people who can balance out their own certainty with an appreciation for those reasonable people who disagree, I think that makes you if at all more qualified to teach than less.

(I want to say, I typed this up rather quickly and didn't think through all implications. Maybe there is something stupid in there.)

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Cingulate posted:

This puts you in the awkward spot you note: that I am perfectly convinced of X, but I know you are convinced of Y, and I do not think you're stupid or underinformed. So how do we deal with that?
I'm not trying to be dismissive of the rest of what you wrote, this is just the part that confuses me. If we ever encounter this situation, then at least one person has incorrectly evaluated their confidence. Which is what you seem to have been doing here:

Cingulate posted:

I personally think Chomskian linguistics is insane
is a lot more confident than:

Cingulate posted:

it's not perfectly obvious which side is right at this moment, and a reasonable person can sympathize with either side.
I'm familiar with some open questions is a variety of fields where reasonable people can come to different conclusions, but the nature of open questions is that there's no way to be particularly confident of any conclusion (otherwise the question would not be open). "Is the Earth 6000 years old?" is a closed question. A person perfectly convinced that the Earth is 6000 years old is either stupid, under/misinformed, lying, or engaged in some non-evidence based reasoning such that being informed is irrelevant to their conclusions.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So just to get this clear, you are saying that in general, if I believe X and I see a person who believes not-X, then it is natural and the only reasonable response is to either stop believing in X, or assuming the other person is unreasonable, or something in between?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Cingulate posted:

So just to get this clear, you are saying that in general, if I believe X and I see a person who believes not-X, then it is natural and the only reasonable response is to either stop believing in X, or assuming the other person is unreasonable, or something in between?
You seem really bad at estimating or communicating confidence levels in beliefs, "I believe X" shouldn't be a substitute for:

Cingulate posted:

I am perfectly convinced of X

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

twodot posted:

You seem really bad at ...
Yeah why do you have to make this personal all of a sudden? I asked you a question because I wanted to make sure I got what you were saying. If I'm misreading you, that's an opportunity to clarify it to me.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Cingulate posted:

No I'm not saying this. This would be, in general, utterly absurd behavior. I would attempt to clarify for you, but at no point have I ever posted about or replied to anything about people who merely believe a thing, so I can't possibly imagine why you would even think to ask me this question.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

twodot posted:

No I'm not saying this. This would be, in general, utterly absurd behavior. I would attempt to clarify for you, but at no point have I ever posted about or replied to anything about people who merely believe a thing, so I can't possibly imagine why you would even think to ask me this question.
... because I seemingly didn't understand what exactly you meant, and thought I'd get things straight before replying?.. What else could there be behind a request for clarification?
So still, feel free to clarify what you meant, because it seems I didn't quite catch you.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

Yeah why do you have to make this personal all of a sudden? I asked you a question because I wanted to make sure I got what you were saying. If I'm misreading you, that's an opportunity to clarify it to me.

How are people supposed to have a conversation if they can't disagree with you?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Ok, I think this has gotten me a bit closer to getting RasperFat's point.

First, being a good scientist != being a good teacher. To begin with, all kinds of literally insane people should be allowed to do research - obviously; e.g., he inventor of MRI or the leader of the human gene project being creationists. If there's some convinced hardcore Nazi who somehow finds their passion in some advanced mathematical studies everyone agrees are super useful, should they get funding? I think, of course. Should they get funding for human genetics research? Probably not. Although on the other hand, should Francis Crick, discoverer of the DNA get funding for human genetics research? Probably, even though he's said some controversial stuff too. So it's muddy.

But about teaching. On one hand, I'm considering a part of this might be specific to the human sciences and proto-sciences, where it's much harder to see what is the truth than in physics. So the situation in linguistics is, I believe the Chomskian approach is bad, but it is an evident fact a lot of extremely intelligent people who've read a lot of relevant literature think it's the greatest. In my view, although sometimes people from my camp, and often people from the Chomskian camp, act as if the other side was easily dismissed, this is not the case: it's not perfectly obvious which side is right at this moment, and a reasonable person can sympathize with either side. In something like physics or biology, it's very hard for a reasonable person to believe the earth is 6000 years old or humans are anything but apes.
But even there, you have people who believe in superstring theory and those who don't, and from what I can tell, you have a lot of very intelligent people on either side.

So again, my point is, if you're being honest, you have to admit there are aeras of genuine controversy. Is there a rich biological substrate for language learning, or is it mainly general pattern recognition? Is language underlyingly symbolic and logical, or stochastic and associative? In psychology and cognitive neuroscience, the situation is very similar - is there really one coherent entity at the bottom of intelligence, or is it inherently multi-facetted? Is the "negative" part of the dopamine signal of causal importance in learning? Is a periodic gamma oscillation underlying memory and binding, or is it just frequent firing fooling your FFTs? Reasonable people on either side of the debate.
Ok, but then, we're talking about biology, and there are aspects of biology where I know the situation to be just the same. Specifically, behavioral genetics. Some will say genes are the most important determiner of adult intelligence. Others say this conclusion is premature.

So I think in science, we're surrounded by people who 1. vehemently disagree with each other, 2. still should be able to understand that this disagreement is disagreement between two equally rational actors. This puts you in the awkward spot you note: that I am perfectly convinced of X, but I know you are convinced of Y, and I do not think you're stupid or underinformed. So how do we deal with that?
I would say, usually, badly. But if you are one of those people who can balance out their own certainty with an appreciation for those reasonable people who disagree, I think that makes you if at all more qualified to teach than less.

(I want to say, I typed this up rather quickly and didn't think through all implications. Maybe there is something stupid in there.)

I will admit that teaching and research are two different beasts, and research should be open regardless of religious leaning. Some of the best scientists, historically and currently, are religious or even creationist.

However, our educational system is currently under attack by RW Christians who have politicized basic science and are actively trying to infiltrate and subvert our institutes of learning. We need to take steps to ensure that teachers aren't creating an environment of doubt things like evolution and climate change which Evangelicals have been doing for decades now.

The difference between a creationist and Young Earth Creationist again needs to be noted, because one is plausible and one is batshit crazy. The equivalent in linguistics might be someone who holds the belief that modern American English is God's chosen language and all other languages are demon tongues that are Satan's temptation. Sure they could get a doctorate in linguistics and have intimate knowledge of the field, but would you trust them to impartially teach an entire class of students?

We should start teaching our students (and teachers) to be better at disagreeing with others, but that's a tall order to put on just teachers. I think there's a strong cultural influence as well as individual personality in how people deal with opposition whether they are in the right or wrong or somewhere in the middle.

And speaking of the middle it's a problematic framing with our current physical science fields. When there are disagreements within String Theory, it's generally being unsure of the exact mechanism of quantum mechanics. It's a question of "Do quarks act like this because of an extra dimension, an undiscovered force, undiscovered/unproved particle, or a different answer we can't see yet?". There's wide areas of interpretation, but the foundation they are based on is not changing. The periodic table is mapped the same and protons still have a positive charge and electrons still have a negative charge and neutrons are still neutral.

We can make exciting discoveries but what we know right now that you'll learn in any undergrad or lower class is pretty set in stone at this point. Any "big" changes in any field have to explain all the evidence and previous experiments, making it increasingly difficult to have massive paradigm shifts like we had throughout the Enlightenment when modern science was being established.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RasperFat posted:

The difference between a creationist and Young Earth Creationist again needs to be noted, because one is plausible and one is batshit crazy. The equivalent in linguistics might be someone who holds the belief that modern American English is God's chosen language and all other languages are demon tongues that are Satan's temptation. Sure they could get a doctorate in linguistics and have intimate knowledge of the field, but would you trust them to impartially teach an entire class of students?
Well, I wouldn't trust them blindly, but I wouldn't trust anyone blindly - I'd test them and supervise them. If the YEC believer can give a good trial lecture, I'll be surprised, but also willing to hire them. (I actually don't know how teachers are hired - I know professors have to give example lectures, but they're not on the stuff they'll end up teaching ...) If 1 year later their students score proportionally on their biology exams, then I don't see how the teacher's crazy private beliefs should be held against them. If a committed Science Fan could rant for 2 hours about the fallacies of the Bible and how Mohammed was a pedo, but failed to explain planetary formation, I'd take the YEC creationist who can explain it over them.

Tell me if you think this one works for you: you and I agree the YEC believer is unlikely to be able to explain physics and biology well. However, it's likely a few YEC believers can. Not being able to explain them rules out a teaching job. Propagandizing YEC beliefs in the classroom also rules out a teaching job. The question is, how suspicious should we be of the (probably already rare case of the) YEC believer who explains they intend to stick to the curriculum? (Because we both agree there is a chance they'll defect.) I say, not that much - just evaluate and supervise them about the same as you'd evaluate everyone else. You say, very - chances they'll actually do that are so low, we may as well not waste our time.

RasperFat posted:

And speaking of the middle it's a problematic framing with our current physical science fields. When there are disagreements within String Theory, it's generally being unsure of the exact mechanism of quantum mechanics. It's a question of "Do quarks act like this because of an extra dimension, an undiscovered force, undiscovered/unproved particle, or a different answer we can't see yet?". There's wide areas of interpretation, but the foundation they are based on is not changing. The periodic table is mapped the same and protons still have a positive charge and electrons still have a negative charge and neutrons are still neutral.
Well ok, but probably even the YEC believer will accept all of these. Their explanation for why carbon dating doesn't invalidate their beliefs are probably related to something sociological, or something that at least in its structure resembles science. They're not gonna say, "protons don't exist", because that doesn't conflict with their ideas about the holiness of man.

RasperFat posted:

We can make exciting discoveries but what we know right now that you'll learn in any undergrad or lower class is pretty set in stone at this point. Any "big" changes in any field have to explain all the evidence and previous experiments, making it increasingly difficult to have massive paradigm shifts like we had throughout the Enlightenment when modern science was being established.
Exactly, and that makes me more optimistic: most of the curriculum is unassailable, and hard to doubt by anyone who's able to comprehend it. E.g., by passing my test of "are they able to explain the curriculum?", the YEC believer will probably not even be forced into a situation where they have to say "I believe X, but I will teach Y for the sake of the curriculum"; because they probably have no reason for doubting that Newtonian mechanics are applicable for non-relativistic contexts, or that the difference between a lion and a tiger can be found in their DNA.
(I will have to say, I assume it would be extremely hard for a YEC believer to pass the test, given how crucial evolution is for biology past middle school. But physics?)

Lastly, here's a pragmatic point. Clearly, we should not force people to disclose their religious beliefs, on obvious grounds. It should be illegal for the government to ask people what they believe on some religious issue (I don't know if it is, but it should be). What you can ask is, "what is the scientific consensus regarding the age of the earth?" I.e., not questions about personal opinions, but about measurable facts.
On the other hand, if a YEC believer on their own choosing discloses all of that stuff during the interview process, we might be skeptical if they'll be able to stick to the curriculum in the actual teaching context; I think the burden of proof should be on them.
So maybe on this issue, you and I would not find actual reason to disagree on the situations that'd actually come up.
However, I don't think the potential (govt.) employer should be able to do, e.g., reading your facebook page to see what church you go to, and discriminate against you in your science teacher application if your pastor is a raving lunatic, and I assume you agree with me on this one.

Who What Now posted:

How are people supposed to have a conversation if they can't disagree with you?
I did not demand people stop disagreeing with me ..?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

No, but the very second somebody said that you're having trouble understanding something you started whining and ignored the entire rest of their post. How is that conducive to discussion, especially when you already know that you have problems with communicating and understanding with people? You should be looking at those comments as opportunities to better yourself, not to shut down conversation.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Well, I wouldn't trust them blindly, but I wouldn't trust anyone blindly - I'd test them and supervise them. If the YEC believer can give a good trial lecture, I'll be surprised, but also willing to hire them. (I actually don't know how teachers are hired - I know professors have to give example lectures, but they're not on the stuff they'll end up teaching ...) If 1 year later their students score proportionally on their biology exams, then I don't see how the teacher's crazy private beliefs should be held against them. If a committed Science Fan could rant for 2 hours about the fallacies of the Bible and how Mohammed was a pedo, but failed to explain planetary formation, I'd take the YEC creationist who can explain it over them.

Tell me if you think this one works for you: you and I agree the YEC believer is unlikely to be able to explain physics and biology well. However, it's likely a few YEC believers can. Not being able to explain them rules out a teaching job. Propagandizing YEC beliefs in the classroom also rules out a teaching job. The question is, how suspicious should we be of the (probably already rare case of the) YEC believer who explains they intend to stick to the curriculum? (Because we both agree there is a chance they'll defect.) I say, not that much - just evaluate and supervise them about the same as you'd evaluate everyone else. You say, very - chances they'll actually do that are so low, we may as well not waste our time.
Well ok, but probably even the YEC believer will accept all of these. Their explanation for why carbon dating doesn't invalidate their beliefs are probably related to something sociological, or something that at least in its structure resembles science. They're not gonna say, "protons don't exist", because that doesn't conflict with their ideas about the holiness of man.

Exactly, and that makes me more optimistic: most of the curriculum is unassailable, and hard to doubt by anyone who's able to comprehend it. E.g., by passing my test of "are they able to explain the curriculum?", the YEC believer will probably not even be forced into a situation where they have to say "I believe X, but I will teach Y for the sake of the curriculum"; because they probably have no reason for doubting that Newtonian mechanics are applicable for non-relativistic contexts, or that the difference between a lion and a tiger can be found in their DNA.
(I will have to say, I assume it would be extremely hard for a YEC believer to pass the test, given how crucial evolution is for biology past middle school. But physics?)

Lastly, here's a pragmatic point. Clearly, we should not force people to disclose their religious beliefs, on obvious grounds. It should be illegal for the government to ask people what they believe on some religious issue (I don't know if it is, but it should be). What you can ask is, "what is the scientific consensus regarding the age of the earth?" I.e., not questions about personal opinions, but about measurable facts.
On the other hand, if a YEC believer on their own choosing discloses all of that stuff during the interview process, we might be skeptical if they'll be able to stick to the curriculum in the actual teaching context; I think the burden of proof should be on them.
So maybe on this issue, you and I would not find actual reason to disagree on the situations that'd actually come up.
However, I don't think the potential (govt.) employer should be able to do, e.g., reading your facebook page to see what church you go to, and discriminate against you in your science teacher application if your pastor is a raving lunatic, and I assume you agree with me on this one.

I agree that a religious test is not the answer, for obvious reasons both historically and constitutionally. A test including things like the age of the universe and the validity of evolution is probably the right way to go because those are fact based questions. Physics makes YEC have to work in crazy poo poo because we can see stars that are millions of light years away, meaning accepting basic things like the speed of light have to be retconned for a universe only thousands of years old, like claiming God sent the beams of light ahead magically only making it appear as though the light was traveling for millions of years to reach us.

The changes I'm looking for in education isn't having strictly atheist teachers, it's sidelining the increasingly common evangelist influence in our education system. No more "just a theory" monologues in high school biology when evolution is taught. No more letting over zealous reactionists choose curriculums and textbooks. Less exemptions for "charter schools" that are just extensions of a church. No more capitulating to "free speech" and "religious freedom" arguments for when people want to teach falsehoods and spread dogma using our government funded schools.

I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, and should a YEC be an effective teacher of science they should be given a chance. But there is a coordinated attack from conservatives right now. They are colluding to push Evangelical views in our classrooms and want to delegitimize science. We need to take proactive measures to make sure America doesn't fall behind in science education.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RasperFat posted:

The changes I'm looking for in education isn't having strictly atheist teachers, it's sidelining the increasingly common evangelist influence in our education system. No more "just a theory" monologues in high school biology when evolution is taught. No more letting over zealous reactionists choose curriculums and textbooks. ...
I want to give people the benefit of the doubt, and should a YEC be an effective teacher of science they should be given a chance.
Then it seems we're not in disagreement: your concerns seem to be about the curriculum, not about the ideology of the teacher. I agree the curriculum should be consensus science, and teachers who stray from that because they want to teach their own personal favourite stories should be treated the same regardless of of their reasons for doing so.

Of course, it is likely that most YEC believers will be unwilling and incapable of teaching such a curriculum, and setting the curriculum to something decent is a fight in itself.
But I'd speculate you could actually use religious freedom for the good side here: you can argue science classes should not impinge upon the religious freedom of atheists, Hindus and Buddhists (who don't believe the earth is 6000 years old), but should reflect the neutral position of science (which is in principle, so the YEC believer will have to agree, distinct from the position of atheism, and thus atheists should be protected by religious freedom laws).

RasperFat posted:

We need to take proactive measures to make sure America doesn't fall behind in science education.
(I'm in Europe, so this idea that this is about a competitive advantage is a bit weird to me. I absolutely do hope you guys get your Cultural War in check and the Right off that crazy, planet-destroying delusion, but hopefully not so that you can stay better than everyone else, but simply because it's right.)

Who What Now posted:

No, but the very second somebody said that you're having trouble understanding something you started whining and ignored the entire rest of their post. How is that conducive to discussion, especially when you already know that you have problems with communicating and understanding with people? You should be looking at those comments as opportunities to better yourself, not to shut down conversation.
I don't think I've ever seen you engaged in a civil discussion like the one between RasperFat and I right now, so I can understand how you'd be confused about what went down here: twodot went personal, I complained and offered twodot to get back on track, back to the actual discussion. In contrast, you I can't remember ever engaging in anything but zingers with the goal of discrediting some person.

I could try to learn from personal attacks. In this case, I choose not to. However, I am excited to learn how you are going to take me criticizing your personality as an opportunity to better yourself.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

I don't think I've ever seen you engaged in a civil discussion like the one between RasperFat and I right now, so I can understand how you'd be confused about what went down here: twodot went personal, I complained and offered twodot to get back on track, back to the actual discussion. In contrast, you I can't remember ever engaging in anything but zingers with the goal of discrediting some person.

I could try to learn from personal attacks. In this case, I choose not to. However, I am excited to learn how you are going to take me criticizing your personality as an opportunity to better yourself.

Rasperfat went personal because there is a personal issue that was/is getting in the way of having a productive discussion. It's impossible to, and indeed unproductive to try to, have a completely impersonal conversation because that's not how real conversations work. We are a personal, social species, and it's important to clear and meaningful communication to remember that.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Rasperfat went personal because there is a personal issue that was/is getting in the way of having a productive discussion. It's impossible to, and indeed unproductive to try to, have a completely impersonal conversation because that's not how real conversations work. We are a personal, social species, and it's important to clear and meaningful communication to remember that.
Rasperfat didn't get personal. Rasperfat embraced the possibility for a non-hostile debate, which I am sure you noticed has been happening in parallel to the thing you did. "I mistyped! I meant twodot!" I know. But the important lesson for you here is that it is indeed possible to have non-hostile debates. I hope you are able to appreciate that a perfectly non-hostile debate has been happening around you.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Hostility is three quarters of the fun in Internet debates.

EDIT: you utter idiot.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, but there's more to life than fun, and hostility is extremely bad for what I think usually oughta be the primary goal of a debate, ie, afterwards everyone being somewhat less misinformed and confused about the other.

There are situations where anger is good. Maybe even insults, I am not sure. But a debate about religion is not such a situation.

I guess if your goal here is to have as much hostile fun as possible, then I can't say you're wrong, but I'd appreciate if you said so so I don't try to engage in some other way with you.
I think basic respect for universal human dignity demands you don't have your hostile fun with anybody regardless of if they're up for it.

You son (/daughter/other) of a syphillic whore's mare's uterine cancer.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

Rasperfat didn't get personal. Rasperfat embraced the possibility for a non-hostile debate, which I am sure you noticed has been happening in parallel to the thing you did. "I mistyped! I meant twodot!" I know. But the important lesson for you here is that it is indeed possible to have non-hostile debates. I hope you are able to appreciate that a perfectly non-hostile debate has been happening around you.

I am in no way being hostile to you right now.

Edit:

Cingulate posted:

There are situations where anger is good. Maybe even insults, I am not sure. But a debate about religion is not such a situation.

Anger and insults fit perfectly well into debates about religion. Are you familiar with Martin Luther?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Then it seems we're not in disagreement: your concerns seem to be about the curriculum, not about the ideology of the teacher. I agree the curriculum should be consensus science, and teachers who stray from that because they want to teach their own personal favourite stories should be treated the same regardless of of their reasons for doing so.

Of course, it is likely that most YEC believers will be unwilling and incapable of teaching such a curriculum, and setting the curriculum to something decent is a fight in itself.
But I'd speculate you could actually use religious freedom for the good side here: you can argue science classes should not impinge upon the religious freedom of atheists, Hindus and Buddhists (who don't believe the earth is 6000 years old), but should reflect the neutral position of science (which is in principle, so the YEC believer will have to agree, distinct from the position of atheism, and thus atheists should be protected by religious freedom laws).

(I'm in Europe, so this idea that this is about a competitive advantage is a bit weird to me. I absolutely do hope you guys get your Cultural War in check and the Right off that crazy, planet-destroying delusion, but hopefully not so that you can stay better than everyone else, but simply because it's right.)

I think you not having experienced the American education system has created a rift to understanding why I'm so wary of YEC trying to game the system. I went to school in Southern California and Long Island, New York and there were discrepancies in my science teaching even in well funded suburban schools. In both states I was presented materials that cast doubt on climate change and evolution. If that was my experience in more progressive areas with good schools, imagine learning in a deep red state, a rural area, or an underfunded inner city school.

My concern for America remaining a leader in science isn't about competitive advantage, it's about the negative consequences in both our local community and global community. America is the richest and one of the best educated countries, if we aren't a leader in scientific research it means we are squandering our resources. It means delays in finding cures, developing new sources of energy/energy storage, new types of transportation, etc. Science research is one of the best long term investments for our entire species, without it we wouldn't even be able to feed our current population levels. America trending anti-science and anti-environmentalism is a bad thing for everybody, especially with the coming man-made climate change.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Cingulate posted:

Just put the guy who has spent10,000 dollars on 40K will be a troll, and is a huge rear end in a top hat, and put him on ignore.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Just put the guy who has spent10,000 dollars on 40K will be a troll,

What?

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

RasperFat posted:

My concern for America remaining a leader in science isn't about competitive advantage, it's about the negative consequences in both our local community and global community. America is the richest and one of the best educated countries, if we aren't a leader in scientific research it means we are squandering our resources. It means delays in finding cures, developing new sources of energy/energy storage, new types of transportation, etc. Science research is one of the best long term investments for our entire species, without it we wouldn't even be able to feed our current population levels. America trending anti-science and anti-environmentalism is a bad thing for everybody, especially with the coming man-made climate change.

This has already happened. Already entire segments of our research community are occupied foreigners who are attracted to research at American universities and American citizenships. This was 70% of the makeup of my last research lab. Research in American universities is already propped up by foreigners and this will last only as long as the above remains attractive.

The next person who claims that the religious community doesn’t promote anti-intellectualism needs to go out of their way and defend the poo poo I saw when I went to one of those rural Baptist schools.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sounds like he's jealous someone has a hobby or something.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

rkajdi posted:

Sounds like he's jealous someone has a hobby or something.

Sounds like somebody is drunkposting again, more like.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

This has already happened. Already entire segments of our research community are occupied foreigners who are attracted to research at American universities and American citizenships. This was 70% of the makeup of my last research lab. Research in American universities is already propped up by foreigners and this will last only as long as the above remains attractive.

The next person who claims that the religious community doesn’t promote anti-intellectualism needs to go out of their way and defend the poo poo I saw when I went to one of those rural Baptist schools.
I think this is a lot like the "is Islam a religion of peace/violence" thing. Is ISIS violent, and is ISIS in some sense Muslim? Yes. Is islam violent? Well, most of us wouldn't comfortably say yes. And I think we can apply the same standard here. Should, even. Let us be nuanced.

RasperFat posted:

I think you not having experienced the American education system has created a rift to understanding why I'm so wary of YEC trying to game the system. I went to school in Southern California and Long Island, New York and there were discrepancies in my science teaching even in well funded suburban schools. In both states I was presented materials that cast doubt on climate change and evolution. If that was my experience in more progressive areas with good schools, imagine learning in a deep red state, a rural area, or an underfunded inner city school.
I'm reasonably aware of that. It's unambiguously awful that you have, partially successful, attempts to "teach the controversy" etc. The curriculum should be unassailable - Intelligent Design belongs in anthropology lectures, not biology classes.

RasperFat posted:

Yes, that too is undeniable. I'm just saying, I'm probably hoping as hard as you that America doesn't lose track, even though I personally would not have any problems with America being overtaken by Switzerland, Japan and China - as long as America stays on the Enlightenment path.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Exactly. This is a large scale problem that's been unaddressed for many years already. Our universities are still chugging along because of the strong system that's still partially in tact but the right wing's dismantling has already been crippling.

Cingulate posted:

I'm reasonably aware of that. It's unambiguously awful that you have, partially successful, attempts to "teach the controversy" etc. The curriculum should be unassailable - Intelligent Design belongs in anthropology lectures, not biology classes.

Yes, that too is undeniable. I'm just saying, I'm probably hoping as hard as you that America doesn't lose track, even though I personally would not have any problems with America being overtaken by Switzerland, Japan and China - as long as America stays on the Enlightenment path.

The "teach the controversy" has been more than partially successful. About 40% of Americans believe that humans were created by God in their present form. 32% don't believe humans are a driving force behind climate change. They are technically a minority, but they are an incredibly loud one. Their continuous efforts to subvert our education are a keystone to the success of Evangelical's influence on national narratives.

Also it would be fine and expected that China will overtake the U.S. on everything, they have three times as many people. But Japan and especially Sweden are tiny in comparison to America. If the U.S. is behind them then we have seriously hosed up our education system. If we don't stop the religious zealot's attacks on our school and government we might get to that point though.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Cingulate posted:

I think this is a lot like the "is Islam a religion of peace/violence" thing. Is ISIS violent, and is ISIS in some sense Muslim? Yes. Is islam violent? Well, most of us wouldn't comfortably say yes. And I think we can apply the same standard here. Should, even. Let us be nuanced.

Nah, I'm perfectly comfortable with saying that any religious person that votes Republican is a monster and their religion is monstrous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Nah, I'm perfectly comfortable with saying that any religious person that votes Republican is a monster and their religion is monstrous.

That's not entirely fair because voting Republican is monstrous independent of religious beliefs. There's plenty of atheist asshat libertarians that vote straight ticket R in full FYGM fashion.

If your faith is an influencing factor in voting Republican though, than you are either incredibly ignorant or your religious interpretations are indeed monstrous.

• Locked thread