Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Skippy McPants posted:

Ehhh, The CLPL falls off hard outside 650m, whereas the the CERLL is still doing relevant damage well outside 1km. If we're talking mid-range, trade focused laser vomit, I agree that you want LPLs to go with your ERMLs, but dedicated ERLL sniper is a valid role for a selection of mechs. I've had enough 1400+ damage games in my Hellbringer to convince me that the weapon is at least decent, if situational.

It's got the same "phantom damage" issue that LRMs have. At 650+m with a weapon that burns as long as an ERLL you are spreading damage all over the enemy mech. I routinely basically ignore ERLL snipers if I"m moving position to position - if you are moving and waggle your torso even a little bit it gets spread out ALL over you. Your 1400+ damage matches were probably more like 800 damage put in areas that it did any good. That's still a good match, but you can do the same and expose yourself less using ERPPCs.

The HBR is also a great hill humper with its mobility and high mounts. Its whole gimmick with long range sniping is to pop off some ppcs and then be reversing downhill before they even hit. Do it right and the enemy gets hardly any time to scratch at your armor. I've won a lot of long range duels against other HBRs trying to stare at me with ERLLs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Massed SRMs are really good on anything, and even just throwing 2-3 on a mech instantly make them a really good brawler that can tear through things.

The bushwacker has a good combination of mobility, firepower, and survivability, so it's hard to go wrong with it. Only problem is that if people know what they're doing at all they will melt you because of its bad geometry.

CERLLs are a joke, and you can ignore them as long as you aren't just standing in front of them not moving like an idiot.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I haven't used cERLLs in so long I kind of forgot they were in the game lol

Just do LPLs if you suck at PPCs, like I do. Or - you know - practice with PPCs and get good at them, if you want to be an overachiever.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's got the same "phantom damage" issue that LRMs have. At 650+m with a weapon that burns as long as an ERLL you are spreading damage all over the enemy mech. I routinely basically ignore ERLL snipers if I"m moving position to position - if you are moving and waggle your torso even a little bit it gets spread out ALL over you. Your 1400+ damage matches were probably more like 800 damage put in areas that it did any good. That's still a good match, but you can do the same and expose yourself less using ERPPCs.

The HBR is also a great hill humper with its mobility and high mounts. Its whole gimmick with long range sniping is to pop off some ppcs and then be reversing downhill before they even hit. Do it right and the enemy gets hardly any time to scratch at your armor. I've won a lot of long range duels against other HBRs trying to stare at me with ERLLs.

What's a HBR?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Agrajag posted:

What's a HBR?

Hellbringer.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Agrajag posted:

What's a HBR?

Hellbringer. Good ECM laser vomit heavy with 0 baseline quirks.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Agrajag posted:

Whoa, could you post a screenshot of your build?

Stop taking screenshots of builds and use this instead.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Agrajag posted:

Whoa, could you post a screenshot of your build? I want to try that out since my laser build doesn't really take advantage of its speed.

If they are building it like a cheetah, you just buy every omnipod that has a lot of laser hard points, run as many small pulse lasers as you can and as many heat sinks as you can. Fire the weapons in groups to avoid heat penalties. If you can, strip a lot of armor from one arm for more heat sinks.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Agrajag posted:

Whoa, could you post a screenshot of your build? I want to try that out since my laser build doesn't really take advantage of its speed.

It's just fat arctic cheetah . 7 SPLs generates ghost heat but the amount isn't much so you can still alpha 3 times on a hot map before going back down to shooting 6 at a time. On ice maps you can alpha constantly. With the survival tree and prime armor quirks it has 101 ct armor and 62 on either side torso. The base twist speed is pretty good even though the actual arc is garbage, so whichever side is lower or you lose first you use as the dead side and you can last an incredibly long time as the bell of the brawl.

You just play it as the doorkicker for a group of brawlers and eat damage. If people ignore you because you're a linebacker then you walk behind them and strip their backs in one shot or just core them.

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 31, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Even with us being a bunch of goobers WoL placed in the Tukayyid boards. Number 13 for Liao units, and Liao did well over-all

https://mwomercs.com/news/2017/05/1832-battle-tukayyid-3-unit-statistics

Edit: we also had 15 players show up for the event, which should give you an idea of how active we are.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
What my buddy and i did with our primes was 5xsrm6s. Artemis is too heavy.

First match, 4 kills and 500 damage. I like it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

What my buddy and i did with our primes was 5xsrm6s. Artemis is too heavy.

First match, 4 kills and 500 damage. I like it.

it's amazing with 2erppc. I think I had to buy a different toros though. The toros mounts are hilariously high.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I've already got a cataphract erppc sniper, it works really well. Not sure working on another erppc mech with high hardpoints is worth it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Isn't it a bit of a waste to use a fast heavy for PPC sniping? You could do that in a Shadowcat nearly as well. Or in a slower heavy that can snipe with more firepower.

I'm using mine for laser vomit, i think it plays to its strengths pretty well. Engage into midrange, fire two alphas, disengage at 100 kmh and cool down. Makes for some great trades against heavies and assaults of all kinds, it only kind of sucks against medium brawlers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

The high mounts and good accel / development make it great at popping in and out of cover. Isn't a waste if you're working effectively.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I tried the LBK with 2 ER PPC and honestly... I don't really rate it. I usually use my Nova-A with double ER PPCs which is far better- it's not as fast, but it's still zippy, and has the advantage of jumpjets which means you can poptart. I also use the Adder-Prime with a nearly-stock loadout of 2 ER PPCs and a lot of heatsinks, and it also feels a lot better than the Linebacker (despite being 30 tons lighter) because it can still move like a light and has PPC heat gen quirks. Using a mech as heavy, tanky, and fast as the LBK feels like a waste when a mech 30 tons lighter does the same loadout better.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Even with us being a bunch of goobers WoL placed in the Tukayyid boards. Number 13 for Liao units, and Liao did well over-all

https://mwomercs.com/news/2017/05/1832-battle-tukayyid-3-unit-statistics

Edit: we also had 15 players show up for the event, which should give you an idea of how active we are.

How the hell did we play over 700 games?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Each player counts as a 'game.' A 12 man drop counts as 12 games, a win with that group is 12 wins and a loss is 12 losses.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Great Beer posted:

that win rate is PL/HHoD levels :-O

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Atlatl posted:

It's just fat arctic cheetah . 7 SPLs generates ghost heat but the amount isn't much so you can still alpha 3 times on a hot map before going back down to shooting 6 at a time. On ice maps you can alpha constantly. With the survival tree and prime armor quirks it has 101 ct armor and 62 on either side torso. The base twist speed is pretty good even though the actual arc is garbage, so whichever side is lower or you lose first you use as the dead side and you can last an incredibly long time as the bell of the brawl.

You just play it as the doorkicker for a group of brawlers and eat damage. If people ignore you because you're a linebacker then you walk behind them and strip their backs in one shot or just core them.

O

M

G

It's so fun playing the Linebacker this way. In a drop where there are lights for me to follow, and they do hit and runs type stuff, this thing is sooo much fun!

Are there any recommendations of light mechs I should look into? I know I saw some goons running the urbanmech with a poo poo load of machine guns I think?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Wonder if i can make 4 is erppcs work on anything

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Works well on the Warhawk with the good heat bonuses. The C I think?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Way too hot. The awesome can do 4 normal ppcs well, but 4 erppcs is not worth it.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Commoners posted:

Way too hot. The awesome can do 4 normal ppcs well, but 4 erppcs is not worth it.

Agreed. You can do 2x ERPPCs, 2x LPL on the Warhawk or the MAD-IIC (better in every way), and that's pretty good. 4x ERPPCs is way, way too hot.

Edit: also if you can't hold a clan ERLL steady at long range lower your sensitivity lol. Y'all are fighting garbage players if they scatter all over at 650+. 1200+ I can see it, but at about 800-900+m ERLL out trade everything except ERPPCs.

Slab Squatthrust fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 1, 2017

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I run 4 ERPPC Warhawks all the time without issue. It's ultra hot, yea, but it's not unmanageable at all. The LPL build is better, but I have more fun with the PPC build.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The Gate posted:

Agreed. You can do 2x ERPPCs, 2x LPL on the Warhawk or the MAD-IIC (better in every way), and that's pretty good. 4x ERPPCs is way, way too hot.

Edit: also if you can't hold a clan ERLL steady at long range lower your sensitivity lol. Y'all are fighting garbage players if they scatter all over at 650+. 1200+ I can see it, but at about 800-900+m ERLL out trade everything except ERPPCs.

It's not an issue of not holding steady at extreme ranges, it's an issue that people can twist their mechs and either outright deadside 80% of your damage or distribute it evenly across their mech for a negligible net damage. Then there's the issue of fighting at extreme ranges, where you're being a huge buddy fucker by not being in a range will people will bother shooting at you because it isn't worth it, so they're just going to be focusing their fire on your teammates by default, and if there is an opportunity to push you won't be there for it because you're sitting 900m+ off in the distance.

There are almost no positions in the game that have unavoidable open firing lanes that give the CERLLs an advantage over ERPPCs, ERLLs, or CLPLs, because the players boating those can just use terrain to close in on your position and then shoot you inside of their favorable range bracket and trade with you heavily in their favor. ERPPCs can fire and then start twisting to knock your damage off while pinpointing against you, and CLPLs and ERLLs will be able to finish their burn time and then twist off the rest of yours that you have to hold on them.

The ERLL grashopper became one of the FW favored mechs because it could burn lasers for almost half the time that CERLLs had to, so they could dump damage and then jump and twist and would win trades against CERLLs, and they could push out nearly 1.5x damage with that lesser burn time at the same heat.

They're lovely weapons and only work against potato players that you could do pretty much anything against.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Cease to Hope posted:

Stop taking screenshots of builds and use this instead.

As long as he's using [timg] tags, who cares.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Is there a gallery of Camo skins anywhere? I saw one I really liked, but it's not for sale and I'm wondering where it comes from.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I think I've reached peak urbanmech. It's only tears and reminiscing of better times from here on.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

The Saddest Robot posted:

I think I've reached peak urbanmech. It's only tears and reminiscing of better times from here on.

I don't see an Ace of Spades in that Urbie. :colbert:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Artificer posted:

I don't see an Ace of Spades in that Urbie. :colbert:

Death Star or go home!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I have a 4 erppc cicada. It's bad.

Great Beer posted:

There were a shitload of scouting matches going on for a while. That probably helped inflate our game count since you can play like four scouting matches in the time it takes to play a regular invasion match.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Omar_Comin posted:

As long as he's using [timg] tags, who cares.

It's much more convenient, both for him and for anyone offering him advice. He's new and probably didn't know about Smurfy.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

I have a 4 erppc cicada. It's bad.

Yes spoiler, I agree. That's not how you make a 40 PPFLD Cicada. :colbert:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I have one of those too :negative:

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Well I just made an awesome 8Q that can alpha its 4 erppcs without overheating on river city while moving. No arm armor though so there's a time limit on that ability. I gave it mobility quirks but am wondering about exploiting its structure bonuses (+25 ct +18 sts)

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I really recommend sticking to regular PPCs on the 8Q. That changes the quad shot alpha from "Gimmick I can do sometimes on some maps" to "Viable trading strategy, and doable on every map."

I also highly recommend sticking all four PPCs in the torsi, but that's preference I guess.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
But then you get hosed by lights right. I dunno ill try it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Surprise Giraffe posted:

But then you get hosed by lights right. I dunno ill try it

If a light gets close to your awesome you're hosed regardless. The key is to stay next to your buddies.

On my 8Q I do 2 PPC 2 ERPPC, all in the torso. That extra bit of range can be useful, it gives you two weapons that can tell people who get too close to gently caress off, and it breaks things up naturally into two groups for easy heat management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
Battletech beta keys should start going out today. Check your backer kit.

• Locked thread