Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

yellowcar posted:

Take Emelin. Please.

You do realize that now that you've said this, he'll be protected, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

iospace posted:

You do realize that now that you've said this, he'll be protected, right?

Knowing Bergevin, I'm expecting it.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
How is Bergevin not fired yet.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Habs ownership bad.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/869924806661214208

His name's come up a few times in the last couple years. Seems like a decent candidate. Hell of a name too

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fixed that for you.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

whatis posted:

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/869924806661214208

His name's come up a few times in the last couple years. Seems like a decent candidate. Hell of a name too

He was an assistant in Columbus when they started crawling out of the basement before he abruptly left to run his OHL team.

e- CBJ have sent Vancouver their second-round pick this year as required by that stupid rule which was in place when they hired Torts.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 31, 2017

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

I think it's fair to question Trotz's abilities as a coach especially in the playoffs. He's been terrible at adapting to the opposition's strategies and is often slow to make changes. He tried to play run and gun with the Leafs for 4 games, failed to recognize Orlov and Niskanen were his best pairing until the middle of the postseason, stubbornly left Ovechkin and Backstrom together for almost the entire season despite them not having chemistry any more, played 7D despite 2 of them (Orpik and Alzner) being garbage, healthy-scratched Nate Schmidt despite him being probably their third or fourth best D all season, failing to adapt to the Penguins' counter-attacking strategy until it was too late, etc.

Some local podcasts put it best when they said Trotz didn't seem like he even gameplanned for the Leafs or Penguins, but rather reacted to what they were doing after a few games had been played (going into 2-1 and 3-1 series deficits, respectively). He seems slow to adapt and unwilling to experiment and that's really bad when things don't go according to plan in the postseason. Sullivan, on the other hand, seemed prepared for the Capitals in the first 2 games and made great adjustments going into Game 7 and Trotz wasn't able to do anything in response.

His regular season record has been great but he's also had a fantastic roster, great injury luck, and opponents who can't specifically gameplan against the Capitals like they can in the playoffs.

Is there a better option out there? Maybe not, but I think Trotz's time should be up in DC.

I mean, at least with the Leafs it def. felt like if they just played their game they were going to come back and win, which they did. But he was definitely exposed in Game 7 against the Penguins. I'm too dumb about real hockey strategy to even know what he did, but they got shut the gently caress down and had 0 answers.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

CBJSprague24 posted:

He was an assistant in Columbus when they started crawling out of the basement before he abruptly left to run his OHL team.

e- CBJ have sent Vancouver their second-round pick this year as required by that stupid rule which was in place when they hired Torts.

Rebuild is going smoothly I see

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jim Benning's greatest move is one he had nothing to do with.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

yellowcar posted:

I still sometimes call the Rogers Centre the SkyDome to this day. Partly out of spite, partly because it sounds cooler, and partly because I hate change.

i've never met a single person who calls the skydome the rogers centre

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I went to a Pens game when I was younger where Bob Boughner murdered Keith Primeau pretty badly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW9l36TVB4k

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh man a 144p rip from the old ESPN.com. That alone brings back memories

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Canucks have named Markstrom as their #1 goalie. I don't mind that too much, as the team will be crap anyway.
Hope Miller ends up in a nice spot. He did better than most expected.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Canucks have named Markstrom as their #1 goalie. I don't mind that too much, as the team will be crap anyway.

Benning immediately backtracked on that statement saying he meant Markstrom will be the starter one day, not necessarily this year. Also they intend to and expect to resign Ryan Miller for some reason.

Being a Canucks fan is... deflating.

quote:

“Eventually,” said Benning. “We’ve been grooming him the last couple of years to be at some point our No. 1 goalie, and I’ve been saying that for the last couple of years. I don’t know when that happens, but at some point that’s what our goal is.”

http://theprovince.com/sports/hocke...starter#Canucks

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ImplicitAssembler posted:

He'll do fine in Dallas.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

He'll do fine in Dallas.

they're already busy overpaying Bishop.

And Niemi.

And Lehtonen.

E: $15.3 million worth of goaltending. :psyduck:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So I don't get how Vegas is supposed to be anything but a heap of poo poo next year. I don't know all the ins and outs of the expansion draft rules, but it seems like all they're going to get is a lovely 3rd/4th liners from every team, maybe a decent goalie, and maybe someone good from their high draft pick. Maybe an aging veteran that a team doesn't want to protect because of their cap hit or whatever.

Is there any other outcome for this team next year than being bottom of their division?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there any other outcome for this team next year than being bottom of their division?

Yes, they're in the same one as the Canucks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So I don't get how Vegas is supposed to be anything but a heap of poo poo next year. I don't know all the ins and outs of the expansion draft rules, but it seems like all they're going to get is a lovely 3rd/4th liners from every team, maybe a decent goalie, and maybe someone good from their high draft pick. Maybe an aging veteran that a team doesn't want to protect because of their cap hit or whatever.

They have a cap floor, so they'll also get highly paid under performing first/second liners.

I'd be surprised if edmonton protects Eberle.

Captain Eberle, Fleury in goal, they're already better than Phoenix.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

MAF gonna take them to the SCF where they will be crushed by Murray & The Gang on their way to a 3peat

But seriously, no they're going to be pretty much awful. Maybe they get lucky and the Yotes or Nucks totally crater, and they don't finish at the bottom of the division, but they're not going to be good

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I still think they can be on the bad side of mediocre, rather than worst in the league.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Powershift posted:

They have a cap floor, so they'll also get highly paid under performing first/second liners.

Captain Eberle, Fleury in goal, they're already better than Phoenix.

vegas is going to be the oilers 2 years ago with less #1 overall picks and arizona is going to feast on that

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

hifi posted:

vegas is going to be the oilers 2 years ago with less #1 overall picks and arizona is going to feast on that

They should have the same number of #1 overall picks.

Oilers will only have Nuge and McDavid left if they keep Nuge. Vegas will have Yakupov and Fleury(probably)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

2 years ago the oilers had yak nuge and hall

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Vegas isn't gonna be a world beater by any means but as far as expansion teams go they shouldn't be half bad, and since the west is already largely a disaster they might not stand out as particularly horrible.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, but whose their Rival?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Based on nicknames and proximity, LA would work :v:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Matt Zerella posted:

*cuts in front of you on line* GIRARDI!

i'm pretty sure the real move here would be to say you can have like, lindberg or grabner (maybe someone slightly better than those? maybe both of them?) if you agree to take staal, then buy out girardi since his contract is more buyout friendly

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Vegas is gonna have good goaltending and halfway decent forwards/defensemen. Their big issue is obviously going to be goals. They're not getting any stars. Their depth should be alright though.

I could see them being one of those aggressively mediocre 11-13th seeds who flirt with the 8th seed for a little while but ultimately get exposed. A Carolina type.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Powershift posted:

:raise:

This makes absolutely no sense. As it stands, the Oilers will go with a 7-3-1 and Eberle is easily one of the forwards they will protect, regardless of the fact the fans are trying to run him out of town. It makes no sense to give away an, at worst, 2nd line RW for absolutely nothing. Only way they wouldn't protect him was if they acquired another top 4 D and even then I'm pretty sure they'd have to trade Eberle to get said D.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

They'll still do better than the Leafs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kilza posted:

:raise:

This makes absolutely no sense. As it stands, the Oilers will go with a 7-3-1 and Eberle is easily one of the forwards they will protect, regardless of the fact the fans are trying to run him out of town. It makes no sense to give away an, at worst, 2nd line RW for absolutely nothing. Only way they wouldn't protect him was if they acquired another top 4 D and even then I'm pretty sure they'd have to trade Eberle to get said D.

I think they can do more with that $6m off the books than they're going to get as a trade.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I feel like there's no better opportunity to go all sabermetrics in hockey than Vegas. Without a superstar, they can try things like rolling 4 lines with equal time each, experimenting on the power play and the penalty kill, and using their leverage over other teams to collect an unreasonable sum of draft picks in lieu of certain players that couldn't be protected.

I'm really hoping Vegas tries to do something radical instead of just keeping their heads down and sucking for 5 years. Even if it fails, it would be entertaining to watch.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the best they can hope for is like, sign thornton/radulov and pick bobby ryan, which strikes me as the opposite of sabremetrics

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

I think they can do more with that $6m off the books than they're going to get as a trade.

They aren't going to expose Eberle so they can overpay someone you dummy.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

re: VGK and bad contracts

Hockey Twitter had some fun to see if Vegas drafted a big bad team of dumb contracts and well... it ain't pretty

https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/status/870017675027652608

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
lol, Lehtera not even good enough to make that starting lineup

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

They're an expansion team, this is expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

So I don't get how Vegas is supposed to be anything but a heap of poo poo next year.

this. just this.

i dont get how vegas is supposed to make money; supposed to not always suck; supposed to have a fanbase.

i dont get why the nhl needed a 31st team at all.

• Locked thread