Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Airpower goons, I've got something you may be able to help me with.

I'm planning to visit the Moscow area in late September and would like to get out to the Central Air Force Museum in Monino.

But I've been getting conflicting reports about whether it's still open. Some sources are saying it was closed early last year. Others are saying it's still open but may close soon.

Knowledgeable goons, is the Monino Musuem still open? And if so, when can it be visited?

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anyone who's ever dealt with any kind of industrial high-pressure steam system before will immediately understand why the Navy wants to get away from steam cats. They're hilariously heavy, large, maintenance and operational-manning intensive, dangerous motherfuckers (to the flight crews and to the ships' crews.) I have former coworkers that worked the cats and arresting gear on USS Kitty Hawk, and not just no, but gently caress NO. They're a safety-critical system, so the inspection and maintenance requirements are just absurd.

Also, gently caress live steam, and triple-gently caress live steam at sea. That is the stuff of nightmares.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Yeah, that's another good point, steam is loving terrifying when poo poo goes wrong. It's been seventy years so we are pretty good at operating steam catspults but it's time to move the gently caress on.

CATOBAR operations are hard enough that the brits just said " gently caress it give us the gimped f35" instead of installing it, but that's another debate.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

Bacarruda posted:

Airpower goons, I've got something you may be able to help me with.

I'm planning to visit the Moscow area in late September and would like to get out to the Central Air Force Museum in Monino.

But I've been getting conflicting reports about whether it's still open. Some sources are saying it was closed early last year. Others are saying it's still open but may close soon.

Knowledgeable goons, is the Monino Musuem still open? And if so, when can it be visited?

I've heard similar about the tank museum at Kubinka. In that case, they seem to be moving much of the armor a couple of miles east to a huge new "Patriot's Park". The new place seems to have a large aircraft contingent as well. Perhaps they are consolidating Monino and Kubinka together?

I was going to e-mail one of the professional tour companies for status, but not book with them.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I've always wondered why they don't use a gently caress-off huge electric motor with a bunch of cables and pulleys to launch aircraft instead of steam. There has got to be a fairly obvious reason why it's not in use, but to my limited knowledge it seems like it would be a good idea. You could have a linear increase in speed instead of a sudden jerk, and reliability should also be pretty high as well. Also it would seem like the space occupied by such a setup would be much less than current steam systems.

Anyone want to let me in on the secret?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

MrYenko posted:

Anyone who's ever dealt with any kind of industrial high-pressure steam system before will immediately understand why the Navy wants to get away from steam cats. They're hilariously heavy, large, maintenance and operational-manning intensive, dangerous motherfuckers (to the flight crews and to the ships' crews.) I have former coworkers that worked the cats and arresting gear on USS Kitty Hawk, and not just no, but gently caress NO. They're a safety-critical system, so the inspection and maintenance requirements are just absurd.

Also, gently caress live steam, and triple-gently caress live steam at sea. That is the stuff of nightmares.

Steam has a ton of useful properties and applications, but yeah, I'm pretty glad I don't work on ships.

Please do stick it in every commercial building* though, please!

*Except mine.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Blistex posted:

I've always wondered why they don't use a gently caress-off huge electric motor with a bunch of cables and pulleys to launch aircraft instead of steam. There has got to be a fairly obvious reason why it's not in use, but to my limited knowledge it seems like it would be a good idea. You could have a linear increase in speed instead of a sudden jerk, and reliability should also be pretty high as well. Also it would seem like the space occupied by such a setup would be much less than current steam systems.

So um... What exactly do you think EMALs consists of? :confused:

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

High pressure steam is scary as hell and I'm convinced if I ever die at work it'll be from an ancient 1 inch tube snapping on a 900lb steam line gauge.

With all this talk of long runs of pipe though, being completely unfamiliar with carrier setups, how do they deal with water hammer? Do they keep all the pipes up to pressure and temperature in between deck ops? Or does some poor schmuck have to turn a couple valves/push some buttons to drain the condensate first?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SeaborneClink posted:

A linear induction motor.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

winnydpu posted:

I've heard similar about the tank museum at Kubinka. In that case, they seem to be moving much of the armor a couple of miles east to a huge new "Patriot's Park". The new place seems to have a large aircraft contingent as well. Perhaps they are consolidating Monino and Kubinka together?

I was going to e-mail one of the professional tour companies for status, but not book with them.

drat, I was planning on seeing Kubinka, too.

So everything's a giant clusterfuck at the moment, then?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Blistex posted:

That's...what EMALS is. It's a linear induction motor.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SeaborneClink posted:

Uhhh, what do you think EMALS consists of? :confused:

Phanatic posted:

That's...what EMALS is. It's a linear induction motor.

Holy poo poo, do was have some very literal people in this thread...

When someone says "electric motor" 99 out of 100 times they mean something like this.

Not linear induction motors which is currently installed in the Ford and is currently a clusterfuck.

\/ Yes, but instead of spooling, more like a single loop like a ski lift. (cue a sperglord saying gondolas would never launch an F-35)

Blistex fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 31, 2017

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I think he's talking about using something more like a winch that rapidly spools in a cable that's attached to the carriage, instead of a linear induction motor to move the carriage along a rail.

My cheeky answer is that spooling a cable that big that fast is going to wear it out fast as poo poo and be it's own sort of problems (and just imagine the cable snapping mid launch)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Blistex posted:

That's a bunch more failure points (cables, bearings, brakes, etc). And if you can modulate around the system elasticities with a pulley system (which introduces more, BTW) you can do it with a direct drive, pending hard physics limiting factors.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

evil_bunnY posted:

That's a bunch more failure points (cables, bearings, brakes, etc). And if you can modulate around the system elasticities with a pulley system (which introduces more, BTW) you can do it with a direct drive, pending hard physics limiting factors.

OK, this was the sort of answer I was looking for. Thanks.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Blistex posted:

\/ Yes, but instead of spooling, more like a single loop like a ski lift. (cue a sperglord saying gondolas would never launch an F-35)

Cable's a giant point of failure. If it's a biplane you're launching off your battleship, a cable's probably okay, but a cable strong enough to launch real aircraft at the rate and reliability required is impractical, which is why no catapults since then have relied on towing the airplane along on a cable. You're trying to generate linear motion, so an electric motor that creates a rotary moment and coupling that into a linear moment isn't winning you much in the way of simplicity of design. You really *can't* get much simpler than a linear induction motor.

As for the risks of steam, *anything* capable of hurling a 20-ton aircraft into the air is going to have interesting and dangerous failure modes, and steam's a mature system we have a century-plus institutional knowledge of (plus it's a nuclear ship so getting rid of steam catapults != getting rid of steam). Yeah, in theory a LIM should be really reliable, but for some reason it's not working out that way in practice.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
NM, misread

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

MrYenko posted:

Steam Line Rupture -> Do your immediate actions then die with dignity, hoping that people in other spaces deal with the rest.

Avynte posted:

High pressure steam is scary as hell and I'm convinced if I ever die at work it'll be from an ancient 1 inch tube snapping on a 900lb steam line gauge.

With all this talk of long runs of pipe though, being completely unfamiliar with carrier setups, how do they deal with water hammer? Do they keep all the pipes up to pressure and temperature in between deck ops? Or does some poor schmuck have to turn a couple valves/push some buttons to drain the condensate first?

Ships have constant watchteams, mechanics doing the roving and reading the gauges (and frequent checks for chlorides). When your ramp up for deck ops you crack a bypass valve and let the system come up to temp, blow down all your condensate traps a few times (by hand), and then open the main steam stops. There are dozens of poor schmucks who are in positions to do this.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

M_Gargantua posted:

Steam Line Rupture -> Do your immediate actions then die with dignity, hoping that people in other spaces deal with the rest.
I don't know how much dignity there is in becoming human sous vide.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
Hopefully hypoxia gets you first. It'll still be incredibly uncomfortable as you boil alive but it'll be over in a minute or two rather than hours or days. Steam is scary, scary stuff but it's so very handy for some things.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
welp, I should hit refresh more.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

drzrma posted:

Hopefully hypoxia gets you first. It'll still be incredibly uncomfortable as you boil alive but it'll be over in a minute or two rather than hours or days. Steam is scary, scary stuff but it's so very handy for some things.

Now I'm curious to see injury stats from carriers. Who gets injured/killed more often, guys working on/around the steam lines for the catapults to launch aircraft off the deck, or the guys working to launch aircraft off the deck?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

I've been hanging from a mile long cable thick enough to hold a ~10 tons of weight and I can attest to the fact that cables are elastic as gently caress

it's a wild ride when the platform you're on goes through some stiction and slows down and gives the cable a chance to just stretch out as it's still being wound up, and you wind up bouncing up and down for a minute as the system damps itself back out.

fake edit: the cable in question

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Just reading that made me queasy.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Phanatic posted:

Now I'm curious to see injury stats from carriers. Who gets injured/killed more often, guys working on/around the steam lines for the catapults to launch aircraft off the deck, or the guys working to launch aircraft off the deck?

Pretty sure it's people on the flight deck, there's a loving :nms: image somewhere of a guy who got hit in the face with the wingtip of a launching Hornet after standing up at exactly the wrong moment, ironically trying to stop a newbie from doing something dangerous.

Spoilers: he did not survive.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

US Navy cable snap back safety video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGH_GUbdTeQ

You can watch the line wreck some mannequins around 3:20.

e: Also a failed arrestor wire incident - real people injured, but nothing visually gruesome. One dude even manages to escape by twice jumping over the snapping line. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OxMox2Kdxs

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 31, 2017

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Bacarruda posted:

So everything's a giant clusterfuck at the moment, then?
Welcome to Russia.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

ftfy

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I wouldn't be surprised if steam work caused more minor injuries (burned hand on a hot pipe), but flight deck work definitely seems more hazardous for major injuries or fatalities. There are a lot of ways a flight deck can kill you.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if steam work caused more minor injuries (burned hand on a hot pipe), but flight deck work definitely seems more hazardous for major injuries or fatalities. There are a lot of ways a flight deck can kill you.

When a steam system fails, it fails hard. A high pressure steam leak is terrifying - I once had the search system described to me as "wave a broom in front of you while walking very slowly. When the end falls off, you've found the leak."

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yeah. There may be fewer ways to kill you, but when one is high pressure steam outside the system, that's plenty for a life of nightmares.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Sure, but anecdotally those kind of catastrophic accidents seem to happen less often than flight deck mishaps. Whereas hot pipes are loving everywhere.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Public Service Announcement:

The 3 foot tall Lego Saturn V comes out tomorrow, you know you want it: https://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-NASA-Apollo-Saturn-V-21309

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Russian Navy fired some cruise missiles into Syria.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

Yeah, that's another good point, steam is loving terrifying when poo poo goes wrong. It's been seventy years so we are pretty good at operating steam catspults but it's time to move the gently caress on.

CATOBAR operations are hard enough that the brits just said " gently caress it give us the gimped f35" instead of installing it, but that's another debate.

Not operations, but the expense of fitting them despite the design in theory allowing for it, but that would have been EMALS sooo. Steam catapults are literally a Royal Navy invention along with angled flight decks.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

When a steam system fails, it fails hard. A high pressure steam leak is terrifying - I once had the search system described to me as "wave a broom in front of you while walking very slowly. When the end falls off, you've found the leak."

Here's my question: What is it that allows steam pipes to develop (apparently) pin hole leaks that will create an invisible pressure cutting blade? I've heard this before about how hosed up those can be. How do you end up with high pressure gas blasting through a small gap like that without the whole thing just grenading? To my uneducated mind that's the sort of situation that should probably be a very small, very violent leak for about a millisecond after which it erodes the break, things start fracturing quickly, until it becomes two very large pipe-shaped leaks on either end of a rapidly expanding cloud of used-to-be-pipe shrapnel.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Not quite cold war but kinda airpower and gently caress it I run Barter Town:

Vulcan Aerospace just unveiled their new mega-plane for launching space rockets from. It's loving ginormous. LIke, loving insane. Howard Hughes level :wtc:

Actually, more than that, because it's got a wingspan 65 feet longer than the Spruce Goose

:stare:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

has anyone started calling it the carbon condor yet

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Not operations, but the expense of fitting them despite the design in theory allowing for it, but that would have been EMALS sooo.

Contributing factor is that that's a conventional carrier, so if they want steam they have to install an electrically-driven steam generator. Brits love electric kettles but that's a real complication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

Blistex posted:

(cue a sperglord saying gondolas would never launch an F-35)

that's never stopped navy planes from launching gondolas.