Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

For a brief moment today, the Hyatt Regency popped up today

poo poo, the Hyatt?!

but it was gone the second I selected it.

Awww

I've got a King room at the Hyatt, looking for a Double/Double. (Preferably, more than one, but I'll take one for now.) If a King is good enough for you, I'll keep you in mind if/when I'm ever able to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CellBlock posted:

I've got a King room at the Hyatt, looking for a Double/Double. (Preferably, more than one, but I'll take one for now.) If a King is good enough for you, I'll keep you in mind if/when I'm ever able to upgrade.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Dr. Quarex posted:

I imagine this might be being talked about in some other place where people talk about things in this subforum but the TORG Eternity Kickstarter is live (and doing, uhh, about 10,000% better than I expected) and someone is Livetweeting the invasion of Earth!

I played the TORG Eternity preview at last years con and wasn't very impressed!

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS
My favorite bathroom tip is to go to the various hotels. Their staff keeps them much cleaner and they don't get nearly as much traffic.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah hotel bathrooms are the place to be

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Someone compiled the list of the most underserved games at Gencon this year. I'm surprised that CoC still tops the list, given that a ton of additional games got added this year.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I would have jumped into a CoC (or SP2, for that matter) game in a heartbeat, and was disappointed that there were none on offer.

EDIT: Oh, wait, you meant Call of Cthulhu, not Chain of Command. Still, I'd do both. ;)

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haystack posted:

Someone compiled the list of the most underserved games at Gencon this year. I'm surprised that CoC still tops the list, given that a ton of additional games got added this year.

Starfinder and Mutant Crawl Classics aren't even out yet. Shouldn't they at least wait until they're on the shelf before putting them on that list?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Derek, that posted that, is one of the data guys for Gen Con and I am sure he pulled those stats from what everyone tried to register for last Sunday.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

nesbit37 posted:

Derek, that posted that, is one of the data guys for Gen Con and I am sure he pulled those stats from what everyone tried to register for last Sunday.

Yeah, it came from ranking the unmet demand by looking at the number of wishlists a game appeared on in excess of the number of slots available. He said he pulled out the games that he didn't expect to be out before Gen Con, so I assume the RPGs RRA mentioned are coming out in the next month or two, although i couldn't say for sure; I'm way more a board game guy than RPG.

I did find it interesting that Battlestar Galactica was on the list; I tried for a game on my wishlist and missed, but didn't think there would be that much demand for it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Cthulhu's demand will probably never be satisfied. I think the disparity between the number of people willing/able to run a game like that and the people who want to play is pretty great. Or at least in my experience I would not trust many gamemasters to do "spooky/scary" with any amount of fun involved at all.

betamax hipster posted:

I played the TORG Eternity preview at last years con and wasn't very impressed!
THERE WAS NO GEN-CON 2016 STOP LYING TO ME

I also refuse to believe Shane Hensley is capable of making a bad game (I would be interested to know how much has changed since last year though)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Mr Quarex, tell me about pre-registering games for auction or that side market.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

djfooboo posted:

Mr Quarex, tell me about pre-registering games for auction or that side market.
NO

Aw dang I thought I still had this in my Windows clipboard: http://www.livegameauctions.com/

Basically you go there and then go here http://www.livegameauctions.com/PreRegSite and then make an account and oh wow things have changed since I last listed items, let me use screenshots

O.K. so after making your account click on one of "Your Auction Items" or "Your Store Items" and you get this:

Then click the counter-intuitively-placed "Add Item" to get this screen:

For the main Auction, there is no upper limit for how much you can charge for an item, though it is always better to place a reserve on something than to place a high minimum bid, because people get excited and start yelling out higher numbers if it starts low whereas if you start something at $100, even if it is worth over $100, you might only get one bid, from the dealer who is protected from human psychological instincts and is going to re-sell it for more anyway.

As you can see in the screenshot, you can have something either be auction-only, so you get it back if it does not sell on stage, or let it go into the store, where it will be sold for whatever you listed as the minimum bid. So this is why you might want to start something at, say, $20, rather than $2, if you are worried as to whether it would generate enough interest to sell live or if you want to bank on the much larger number of people who will see it over the weekend when cruising the store.

As for putting things in the store directly, you can have things cost up to $50 if listed there directly, including changing the price from a high on Thursday to lower on Friday and lowest on Saturday (or, for comedic effect, you can have the price go up over the course of the weekend).

I think they should probably raise the maximum $50 store cost at some point incidentally, that cap has been the same since the days when you made a profit by listing something at $1 and having it sell, as opposed to now where you would owe them 10¢ if you actually put something in for $1 and it sold. Not that those things are specifically related

You have until my birthday to register the games, as is tradition.

Did I actually answer your questions or did I, as I am wont to do, fundamentally miss your simple question and launch into the complex explanation

Edit: I could give further information on any of those item input fields that seem confusing (as most of them are, as far as I am concerned)

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
The thing about the auction that confused me is that I don't think you have to print out separate store tags for the items that don't sell in the auction. But I feel like I should do that as I am bundling up all my books and stuff.

Also I highly recommend selling stuff in the auction, I cleared out years' worth of White Wolf stuff from my house and helped pay for GenCon in the process.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Is there any way to see a list of the pre-reg'ed store items before the Con?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Totally answered my question, thanks!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

8one6 posted:

That would be amazing, but even if it happened I don't think it would matter. They seem to cycle the store stock fairly regularly not to mention add in stuff that doesn't sell in the auction but marked to go to the store if that happens.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Sionak posted:

The thing about the auction that confused me is that I don't think you have to print out separate store tags for the items that don't sell in the auction. But I feel like I should do that as I am bundling up all my books and stuff.
Ooh, after trying to figure out what you were saying a bunch, I think you are saying that you make a tag for something to sell in the Auction, and then if it does not sell and it goes to the store, it uses the same tag? Yes. You can tell which ones they are because they have "NO SALE" stamped in red on them, just to ensure something does not accidentally get put directly into the Auction Store if it was supposed to go up for auction. I am honestly not sure if you can preemptively set different Thursday/Friday/Saturday store prices for an item you put on stage just in case it does not sell initially.

Sionak posted:

Also I highly recommend selling stuff in the auction, I cleared out years' worth of White Wolf stuff from my house and helped pay for GenCon in the process.
Oh dude yes. Every nerd has stuff in their house that they sort of like but also realize they could totally live without if they knew it were going somewhere that someone would appreciate it AND they could make some money in the process! My greatest shame at this point honestly is that I basically unloaded everything I did not really appreciate by a few years back, and at this point I would probably need to dig into things I previously bought at the Auction to find things to sell :shobon:

8one6 posted:

Yeah what Nesbit37 said; you would think from the pacing of the Auction that things would not pile up that fast, but there is a table in the back of the Auction Store (if you have been there in the last 4-5 years, you probably know the one) that gets filled up with unsold items from the main stage, and that thing goes from empty to overflowing in shockingly little time. And that is even with volunteers trying to move stuff from the "recently unsold" pile to where it would normally go in the store.

I have no doubt they could make this happen, as it would just ("just?") involve making everyone's inputted data publicly accessible...and then compiling it into a spreadsheet somehow, but then you get people's hopes up for items that do not actually necessarily show up (I cannot possibly be the only person who has registered more than a few items that either ended up lost or, in one delightful case, sold to an auctioneer before I made it to check in my items).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Multi-posting as is my right as Threadmaker General

I thought I had mined my personal archive of Gen-Con photos in threads past and present, but I just found my unsorted 2013 photos (in, of course, a directory labelled "unsorted") and decided to start posting them both because why not and to try to remind people that WE NEED GOOD GEN-CON PHOTOS FOR THE THREAD :mad:

HELLO!

I was playing with my camera's maximum zoom settings right after we got to town and into our hotel, and in the process I accidentally chronicled the First Guaranteed Convention-Goer Sighting 2013: a two-panel story about gamer stalking!

Someone always eventually asks about the schedule; it is never set until the convention itself, but this one is fairly illustrative of usual timing, other than that the last thing Thursday is usually "things that would probably be considered collectibles anywhere else, but here we have boatloads of stuff outclassing it"

Oh and while I am at it, an Assortment of Photos of the Auction Chamber, including more of those rarely-seen "before it opens" and "from the stage" vantage points!

An exciting photo of half the people offering Gen-Con Horticulture Hall tours this year (Jon Peterson of "Playing at the World" "fame" on the left, and William Meinhardt of "most ludicrous D&D collection in the world" "fame" on the right; also featuring Jayson Elliot, of briefly-relaunched-TSR/Gygax Magazine "fame" in the middle):

And of course Frank Mentzer, now bringing this post's Horticultural Hall Tour Guide total up to 75%, only not 100% because I have never actually seen Peter Adkinson at Gen-Con:

Ooh also featuring ("The") Dragon founding editor Tim Kask on the right, and on the left the guy whose name I never remember but who is one of the only people on staff at the Auction who can out-chipper me. Also starring Occasional Chainmail Bikini Caroline strolling across the stage in what I can only assume is a Cloak of Elvenkind.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I love how you could have told me those photos of the auction pre-open were from any year in the last decade and I'd believe you.

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word
Any recommendations on what I should set for prices on a three foot tall stack of various near mint RPG books? Just check what they are going for on Amazon? I really need to get rid of this poo poo since I'm moving soon anyway.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Anti-Bunny posted:

Any recommendations on what I should set for prices on a three foot tall stack of various near mint RPG books? Just check what they are going for on Amazon? I really need to get rid of this poo poo since I'm moving soon anyway.

If it's d20 then about $50-60 per milk crate from Half Priced books. If you just need to get rid of them maybe $5/book unless it's something really special like a first print/signed module or something like Dune that got almost immediately yanked because oops they didn't have the license so there are maybe 50 copies floating around.

If it was just the complete book of butts that someone can buy in pdf for $5 it's not going to bring much unless it's in a big lot.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Don't use Amazon. The prices are so inflated as to be unusable.

Use eBay instead, and stick to sold listings for a reasonable idea. I generally figure out the recent average price for the book and then price accordingly.

On Thursday, I list it for the average plus a couple bucks. There's no shipping, after all, and productive buyers get to look at the item in person, unlike eBay. Friday I list it for about the eBay average. And Saturday I drop it a few bucks below and/or the minimum I'd want.

For RPG books, I've found it's not really worth putting them in the auction unless they're fairly rare. (That is often reflected by a $35+ average price on eBay or if you know it's something with a small print run).

I know I probably overthink it, but this has worked well for me and is far more than you'd ever get from Half Price Books.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 5, 2017

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i plan to use the auction as my personal nerd thrift store donation center

listing all my old stuff starting at 99 cents and not coming back for anything that doesn't sell.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I need to do at least one more interview for this Gen Con project and I need someone who has been going for a few years mainly for cosplay type stuff. I was hoping to interview Mudcrab Merchant for this (and still totally will if she can) but I know she's been really busy and scheduling hasn't worked very well. Any of you here know someone suitable or know of someone in the general Gen Con community I should reach out to that might be good for this?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

I need to do at least one more interview for this Gen Con project and I need someone who has been going for a few years mainly for cosplay type stuff. I was hoping to interview Mudcrab Merchant for this (and still totally will if she can) but I know she's been really busy and scheduling hasn't worked very well. Any of you here know someone suitable or know of someone in the general Gen Con community I should reach out to that might be good for this?

Try contacting folks from And Sewing is Half the Battle. It's the most active cosplay group in the region, as far as I know.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Carteret posted:

I love how you could have told me those photos of the auction pre-open were from any year in the last decade and I'd believe you.
Yeah the Auction has "authentic yearly self-re-creation" down to a science.

Deviant posted:

i plan to use the auction as my personal nerd thrift store donation center

listing all my old stuff starting at 99 cents and not coming back for anything that doesn't sell.
I see no problem with this. Particularly if you literally start it at 99 cents, it will get people's attention because the word "cents" is so rarely spoken aloud, haha. Though it would be interesting to see what happened if none of your things sold for more than 99¢ and you technically ended up owing 15% commission, rather than making any money, in addition to the dollar you already paid. But that is both unlikely and also hilarious so go for it

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Another downtown hotel popped up and sold out as I was taken to the buying screen. :suicide:

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Has anyone ever done one of the "Totally not Star Trek" bridge simulations? My group of 5 is looking at doing either Spaceship Bridge Simulation or Starship Horizons, but as we've never done either it's kind of a stab in the dark for us. I'd be interested if anyone has any opinions on either, or even if the prevailing opinion is that both suck and don't waste your time with them.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Assuming things haven't improved since I did it, I would advise against doing Artemis. My friends had done it for a couple of years and spoke very highly of it, and I was able to join them two years ago, but the set up was atrocious. It sounded like a lot of behind the scenes drama had resulted in things taking a nose dive from previous years. What had been a bridge set up with various stations and interesting missions for an immersive experience was replaced plain folding tables with broken inaccurate equipment that made it impossible to control and a poorly implemented Kobiyashi Maru knock off that ended very quickly. They apologized for their issues but it was small comfort for all the money we had just wasted. Our set up at home playing with each other on our laptops was far superior and didn't cost hundreds of dollars. It's possible they've fixed all these issues but I personally wouldn't want to gamble on it.

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word

Klungar posted:

Assuming things haven't improved since I did it, I would advise against doing Artemis.
Seconding this.. It really felt like a waste of time. But sure, try it (or Quartet/EmptyEpsilon/PULSAR/Space Nerds In Space...there's a lot of these*) at home with laptops, if you can. I had a lot more fun with the 20+ year old mechwarrior pods.

*https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WPSibKCfNxB_PYHrnqLdBoZ5JJt5HE-QWIK3Nv6niIg/edit#gid=0

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Important Forums post update from the "Gen-Con Etiquette Tips" thread

Totally Not Spam posted:

hay all i want join this game because i see my friend say me this game really nice

Anyway,

Another downtown hotel popped up and sold out as I was taken to the buying screen. :suicide:
I thought I had a downtown hotel I booked in case of emergency last August that I was going to try to see about transferring to some Goons, but then I looked at the reservation and remembered everything was already basically booked even then and my emergency hotel was on the north edge of town. USELESS TO ALL

Agrias120 posted:

Has anyone ever done one of the "Totally not Star Trek" bridge simulations? My group of 5 is looking at doing either Spaceship Bridge Simulation or Starship Horizons, but as we've never done either it's kind of a stab in the dark for us. I'd be interested if anyone has any opinions on either, or even if the prevailing opinion is that both suck and don't waste your time with them.
I know several people who rave about how fantastic Artemis is, BUT I do have to acknowledge they were raving most about it 2-3 years back, so it is entirely possible that this does nothing to contradict the last two posts about it going way downhill.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Ok fam talk to me. I'm heading to GenCon, 'cause it's cool, and L5R is coming back. Not my first rodeo, Indy is my young life backyard, but it's been three-ish years. Does anyone have L5R tickets they want to share / give up?

Consider also the awful Soylent for meals because it's easy peasy. That's what I'm doing.

Any Goonmeets happening? Anyone running events? 'Cause I suddenly have a free weekend unless someone gives me L5R tickets. Mostly interested in RPGs and seminars, since I've dropped board and mini games from my repertoire. I used to hit the Egyptian hookah bar in Broadripple a lot when I was an edgy college kid, and their food was good. Assuming they are still around I can add them to the recommended list. Danny Boy in Carmel ain't bad neither, for beers and such.

WerrWaaa fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 7, 2017

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

WerrWaaa posted:

Any Goonmeets happening? Anyone running events? 'Cause I suddenly have a free weekend unless someone gives me L5R tickets. Mostly interested in RPGs and seminars, since I've dropped board and mini games from my repertoire. I used to hit the Egyptian hookah bar in Broadripple a lot when I was an edgy college kid, and their food was good. Assuming they are still around I can add them to the recommended list. Danny Boy in Carmel ain't bad neither, for beers and such.

Gencon goons are a notoriously antisocial bunch and attempts to organize get-togethers have typically ended in awkwardness and early, excuse-making exits. For further proof of this you should go to our groupme and ask about Shot Wednesday, Fiasco, Camelot, or shamefur disprays.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If any of you are interested in Gen Con/Gaming history you could totally do a related goon meet at my panel. I know it's sold out but I would be amazed if they are taking tickets for a free seminar event.

https://www.gencon.com/events/116874

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

saint gerald posted:

Gencon goons are a notoriously antisocial bunch and attempts to organize get-togethers have typically ended in awkwardness and early, excuse-making exits. For further proof of this you should go to our groupme and ask about Shot Wednesday, Fiasco, Camelot, or shamefur disprays.

SHOT SATURDAY is also going to be a thing. The True Dungeon is at the end of this bottle of lagavulin!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nesbit37 posted:

If any of you are interested in Gen Con/Gaming history you could totally do a related goon meet at my panel. I know it's sold out but I would be amazed if they are taking tickets for a free seminar event.

https://www.gencon.com/events/116874

They're mainly there to determine if they'll give you a bigger space next year. I think theoretically you're supposed to turn people away if you're at capacity for fire safety reasons or something but it's rare.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ive always found GenCon goons to be a social bunch as long as they arent going to 1000 events. Alcohol + games has a way of bringing folks together

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Unfortunately, st gerald was being sarcastic

Last year Goonmeets happened every night at High Velocity, the hotel bar/resturant in the JW Mariott, where we took over a side area of the bar to play games and drink.

There were a couple other impromptu gatherings, if you aren't in groupme you will miss out on 95% of goon things really

E: High Velocity was mostly light boardgames, but you could also get one-shot/drinking friendly RPGs like Fiasco going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

WerrWaaa posted:

Consider also the awful Soylent for meals because it's easy peasy. That's what I'm doing.

I want you to know I am seriously considering checking out the Soylent coffee/breakfast drinks as a result of you casually mentioning them. They are finally moving on from "just being an unappetizing concept!"

Also yeah there are events...Nesbit37, is your Google Doc still around? Did anyone actually use it last year? I feel like the GroupMe has sort of stolen its thunder even though it is probably more useful for planning purposes.

Fellis posted:

Unfortunately, st gerald was being sarcastic

Last year Goonmeets happened every night at High Velocity, the hotel bar/resturant in the JW Mariott, where we took over a side area of the bar to play games and drink.
I was initially taken aback at his post until it then quickly occurred to me that he was being sarcastic. But to a casual observer it might sound like those events he mentioned were all catastrophic failures of Goon Meets.

And yeah now that the Colts Grille Nerd Trivia is seemingly permanently not on the Wednesday before the convention starts, I imagine all formal meetings will end up planned there. Though this year I am determined to log into the Forums on my phone to give others a fighting chance of knowing what is going on (but GroupMe really is great).

Also more random photos

• Locked thread