Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
People get seriously pissed if you steal their ships and ram it into the nearest rock face. This game has massive greifing potential, the official forum is already full of tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forge
Feb 26, 2006
This game really is the best now that its way more playable. It's actually what you would expect from a beta at this point..

ALSO

[12:35 PM] OliverAge24 (Nickname Admin™): it won't be today so don't press f5 today
[12:35 PM] OliverAge24 (Nickname Admin™): but it'll be very soon, so I'll tell you when to start pressing f5 in advance
[12:59 PM] OliverAge24 (Keys™Very™Soon™): no update with the next batch of keys
[12:59 PM] OliverAge24 (Keys™Very™Soon™): because next batch of keys coming very soon
[12:59 PM] OliverAge24 (Keys™Very™Soon™): update not coming so very soon
[1:00 PM] OliverAge24 (Keys™Very™Soon™): the servers will be more stable and be capable of holding more people yes

Basically reading between the lines there is an issue removing old ships which is what caused the lag when loading islands. It's all the physics engine calculating ships and hulls, etc. It seems there were just hundreds of dead ships at the bottom of the world causing the lag before. He told me that they were manually removing them and they are currently working on an automated process. So this pretty much tells me as soon as thats done so dead ships are deleted at maintenance, the new keys will be out because hundreds of people building new ships in the noob area would just cause that issue again. So I'd put money on that's what were going to get soon as a fix, and then the keys will release because the servers won't degrade after 3 days and thousands of ship wrecks.

On the flip side, some of us are in revenants where very few people have been or lost ships, and the islands load very quickly with basically no lag.

forge fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 31, 2017

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

forge posted:

It seems there were just hundreds of dead ships at the bottom of the world causing the lag before. He told me that they were manually removing them
:allears:

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I noticed a bunch of buried ships on islands that I can't salvage or remove. I kinda wanted to salvage them, space engineers style, but I couldn't do anything about them.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

forge posted:

It seems there were just hundreds of dead ships at the bottom of the world causing the lag before. He told me that they were manually removing

That's on par with WoW using invisible rabbits for their quest triggers. There's no way that should have been so hard to fix.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So my first map was ok, but I am WAY more satisfied with this new one.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=937036887&searchtext=

I was just struck with the idea and I had to follow through.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

I have a suggestion thread on the Adrift forums. Maybe you guys can check it out and give me your feedback.
https://www.worldsadrift.com/forums/topic/ship-bay-tweaks-improving-clarity/

I feel like this game is really really starved of quality of life improvements. This is the sort of stuff that should have been in the game in alpha let alone beta.

Fallout
Mar 8, 2005
Ignorance is bliss
:siren::siren: Second Wave of Beta Keys :siren::siren:

https://www.worldsadrift.com/forums/topic/second-batch-of-keys-6pm-bst/

Check Steam at Noon EST.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Yep you beat me to it Fallout.

The response we’ve had to the game has been overwhelmingly amazing and we want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who’s made it such a success!
We’ve been hard at work improving server performance to increase player experience and we’re currently working on a long term solution!

As a Thank You we’ve got a small batch of keys ready for release at 6PM BST / 7PM CEST / 9AM PST / It is a small batch, so expect them to go fast!

We’ll see you in the skies!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/322780/Worlds_Adrift/

Oliver linked his key countdown here.. https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/halloween?iso=20170601T18&p0=136&msg=MORE+KEYS+FOR+WORLDS+ADRIFT+LOL&font=hand&csz=1

[6:51 AM] OliverAge24-It's Beta ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: there's currently no way to upgrade packs
[6:51 AM] OliverAge24-It's Beta ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: you gotta choose carefully
[6:52 AM] OliverAge24-It's Beta ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: you can see the differences between packs here: https://www.worldsadrift.com/founders/

[7:00 AM] OliverAge24-It's Beta ¯\_(ツ)_/¯: Wanderer tier for £26.99 / €31.99 / $34.99
Explorer tier for £39.99 / 50.99 / $54.99
Captain tier for £49.99 / €59.99 / $64.99

forge fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 1, 2017

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
I hope eventually they add megaships to the game where we can have smaller ships on it use to board enemy ships. But fly around on a mega structure of doom.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
if it was 20 bucks, id probably get this. but its def not worth 35

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Blazing Zero posted:

I have 21 hours of game play already and I only started playing at this Beta. I think it's worth it.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Don't you have two ao accounts? I mean just saying.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Blazing Zero posted:

same but free

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

forge posted:

Don't you have two ao accounts? I mean just saying.

no, but if i did i dont know why that means i should light more money on fire

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

same but free

youre right, it wasnt worth playing for free when that was an option

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Beta's actually been quite good so far. The game is at least worth the 35 pack. I can't help that all of you guys wasted your money on horribad mmos like STAR CITIZEN, AA, blacksuck, blade and oil or whatever nonese, terrawhatever.. Basically don't buy another korean mmo ever again and you'll easily be on your way to retirement while stick picking up actual good games like this.

It's a sandbox mmo with full pvp and tons of pubbies now to torment. It's made by devs with a clear vision and a good track record. So far they have consistently delivered what they say. They are also very open with the community on the happenings of the game.

That said this could be a game that gets played for a long so if you want to wait until release so it's all new and shiny, there's nothing wrong with that. But if you want to drop ship panels on pubbies to kill them and steal all their poo poo. Well nothings holding you back.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

forge posted:

STAR CITIZEN, AA, blacksuck, blade and oil or whatever nonese, terrawhatever..

i didnt buy any of these games but blade and soul. maybe youre right forge. maybe THIS TIME when the masses quit because full loot pvp is too much the devs wont do the same thing every other sandbox dev studio has and walk back all the risky pvp. BUY TODAY!!!!!

e: ground floor or something, cum kill pubbies m'lord etc

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Yeah sure I guess I could fall to my death countless times.

First though, what's bad about it at the moment and what's unfinished?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

forge posted:

Beta's actually been quite good so far. The game is at least worth the 35 pack. I can't help that all of you guys wasted your money on horribad mmos like STAR CITIZEN, AA, blacksuck, blade and oil or whatever nonese, terrawhatever.. Basically don't buy another korean mmo ever again and you'll easily be on your way to retirement while stick picking up actual good games like this.

It's a sandbox mmo with full pvp and tons of pubbies now to torment. It's made by devs with a clear vision and a good track record. So far they have consistently delivered what they say. They are also very open with the community on the happenings of the game.

That said this could be a game that gets played for a long so if you want to wait until release so it's all new and shiny, there's nothing wrong with that. But if you want to drop ship panels on pubbies to kill them and steal all their poo poo. Well nothings holding you back.

AO wasn't a korean dev :colbert:

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Kylra posted:

as far ive seen, its not that it's unfinished. just a lack of content. the main gameplay arcs are there

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Blazing Zero posted:

i didnt buy any of these games but blade and soul. maybe youre right forge. maybe THIS TIME when the masses quit because full loot pvp is too much the devs wont do the same thing every other sandbox dev studio has and walk back all the risky pvp. BUY TODAY!!!!!

e: ground floor or something, cum kill pubbies m'lord etc

You might be right but it's gonna be good while it lasts.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
They added the belt pack in because losing 100% of items was too much. And the belt works extremely well and forces you to make calls on whats important to you. Its a good design and I would highly doubt this will change. The devs are making a game and we are along for the ride.. VS AO where the players are making a game that the devs create.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Their time was listed incorrectly for PST. Use the timer.

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/halloween?iso=20170601T18&p0=136&msg=MORE+KEYS+FOR+WORLDS+ADRIFT+LOL&font=hand&csz=1

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

They seem to be late.

Are you sure it's not actually 10am pst?

Kylra fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 1, 2017

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Cloudflare is making GBS threads a brick currently and they have flagged what looks like ddos protection LOL. I guess not very many people want to play this lovely game.

FunnyFatGuy
Jan 15, 2008
Just bought the game, discord name is FunnyFatGuy

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Kylra posted:

Bad things right now are lag walls that lock up your game for up to a minute and often toss you out of your ship (this has improved significantly in beta. Nowhere near the level it was in alpha), and a lack of quality of life stuff. Some of the core systems like ship designing and building have seen almost no improvement during alpha or in beta. Also of course limited content but honestly, not a problem yet. As is it's already good for 20+ hours of entertainment.

Good things are everything else.

If I had to pick my favourite thing, it's that grappling hooks work near flawlessly. It is so effortless and fun to use, the physics are pretty great, and they're as challenging as you want them to be. I mean that you can really push it and do all kinds of crazy air acrobatics and stunts, or you can play is safe. You feel like spiderman, but more rad because you're making it all work with only one web-slinger. I think they really really nailed it out of the park there, checkmate.

Edit: oh yeah this too \/\/\/\/

Cheap Shot fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 1, 2017

forge
Feb 26, 2006
There are currently memory leaks, which will require a restart after a few hours. If you fail to do this then you will of course face load times. If you log out the memory is cleared on your pc and you face basically no load time.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It's too late to woo me I already got a key.

Also the keys are already dead on steam.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Whoop got in before the cutoff, let's get off this garbage starter island and into the wild blue yonder

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

forge posted:

There are currently memory leaks, which will require a restart after a few hours. If you fail to do this then you will of course face load times. If you log out the memory is cleared on your pc and you face basically no load time.

Not just load times, but apps on your PC will start to crash as your system gradually uses up all it's memory. At 8GB I was able to play for about 2 hours before things started to catch fire.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Dang missed it. Still some higher tiers on their website. I have like $200 on steam though thanks to pubg so guess I'll have to wait :(

This is a pro move though. I think limiting the release like this will fuel the hype as people always want something they can't have.

forge
Feb 26, 2006

TheRagamuffin posted:

Not just load times, but apps on your PC will start to crash as your system gradually uses up all it's memory. At 8GB I was able to play for about 2 hours before things started to catch fire.

I know there is that lighting bug, but that doesn't seem to be going on all the time. I stayed in game for something like 8 hours straight while at work to test. I only used up 3.2gigs solid all day, but I didn't go island to island. So I think that's whats doing it as you load different islands you don't clear out all the goods when you leave it. Thus the required restart depending on HOW fast you are at clearing out islands, or how far you're moving around in the game.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Blazing Zero posted:

Price will probably drop for release. That's how these founder things usually work, right?

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Jackard posted:

Price will probably drop for release. That's how these founder things usually work, right?

That and steam summer sale is a thing.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Is this game worth 35 dollars? What is the progression like?

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Oriental Hugs posted:

Is this game worth 35 dollars? What is the progression like?

Other than building a ship and pvp not really much.

There are gated sections of the map(weather walls) to get through.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Hellsting here invite me into discord to talk about dumb mmos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

The exploration/platforming/grapple hook stuff is pretty fun. I think I'm going to get my money's worth out of this at least, even as it is now.