Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

John Smith posted:

Now, now. People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones.
Shouldn't all this have been worked out beforehand? Regarding the legal limitations of the trust and how to best structure it?

If it was indeed properly structured, then seems to me that your dad simply couldn't be bothered despite his promise to his dead brother. If you are not willing to eat a lot of poo poo, then you shouldn't promise to eat a lot of poo poo. His brother would at least then have the option of trying to find an alternative.
Some people can't be trusted with any money.

John Smith not understand something simple, you don't say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CitizenKain posted:

John Smith not understand something simple, you don't say.
So, no actual point then? At least have the moral courage to take a stand instead of just implying you have something to offer.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Beep boop

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
lol hey guy i don't understand any of this but why didn't he just do it like this??

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Zo posted:

i mean i can see somebody intervening if the guy was being physically violent

but nope, the girls had already walked away from him. no reason to escalate at that moment. those dumb dead morons just wanted to feel good beating up an easy target and instead they got owned lol.

kinda reminds me of the election all over again.

Wrong thread?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I mean, isn't the point of a trust that the heir throwing a tantrum does *not* get it signed over to them? I have no idea of the legal structure involved but like, isn't being tantrum-proof is supposed to be what it's for?

If I had a trust(we can all dream~) and all I had to do to gain control of the principal was throw a hissy fit, then frankly, I would. She didn't have to cut off the family or whatever - keep the legal matters legal.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

The trust was not even 6 figures and the dad had been fighting her about it for over a year when he finally gave up on it. No rational person would subject themselves and their own family to all the drama involved in a lawsuit over a trust fund with a relative for like $90k.

It could have probably been set up a different way with a professional in the first place, but I imagine the outcome would have been exactly the same except the girl would have pissed away half the money on legal fees instead of pissing away all of it on drugs and whatever. It just was never a big enough amount of money to have any other outcome.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I mean, isn't the point of a trust that the heir throwing a tantrum does *not* get it signed over to them? I have no idea of the legal structure involved but like, isn't being tantrum-proof is supposed to be what it's for?

If I had a trust(we can all dream~) and all I had to do to gain control of the principal was throw a hissy fit, then frankly, I would. She didn't have to cut off the family or whatever - keep the legal matters legal.

Yes and no, it depends on how the trust is written. If she was covered under something like a special needs trust, which is an actual thing, then it's not uncommon for the actual trustee to be a professional, with someone close to the family supervising them: http://www.specialneedsalliance.org/do-i-really-need-a-professional-trustee-for-my-special-needs-trust/

Even a trust which boils down to "if I die, use my trust to pay for my kid's education and give them whatever is left at some age when hopefully they are a grownup" is boilerplate for any estate planning attorney.

I guess her uncle doesn't have to deal with her now that she's in prison, so win? :shrug: And there's no family drama since she's in lockup, so win again? :shrug:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think we're all underestimating how loving annoying it'd be living in a J.G. Wentworth commercial for a whole year. 365 days of this:

Even the dead father would be like, "just let it go."

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think we're all underestimating how loving annoying it'd be living in a J.G. Wentworth commercial for a whole year. 365 days of this:

Even the dead father would be like, "just let it go."

Which is why you get a professional trustee because their literal job is dealing with beneficiaries who want to liquidate the trust.

Or just bill the trust yourself every time you have to deal with them because trustees get to pay themselves.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

monster on a stick posted:

Which is why you get a professional trustee because their literal job is dealing with beneficiaries who want to liquidate the trust.

Or just bill the trust yourself every time you have to deal with them because trustees get to pay themselves.

And when the trustee sues you I guess you can bill the trust for your legal costs? At some point, it's either costing you money to keep the status quo or protecting the trust is slowly draining it with fees. It sounds like the uncle was doing alright dealing with his niece's demands until she mentioned lawsuits.

In retrospect, it should have totally been handled by professionals. But that wasn't the way it was set up.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

And when the trustee sues you I guess you can bill the trust for your legal costs? At some point, it's either costing you money to keep the status quo or protecting the trust is slowly draining it with fees. It sounds like the uncle was doing alright dealing with his niece's demands until she mentioned lawsuits.

In retrospect, it should have totally been handled by professionals. But that wasn't the way it was set up.

In general, yes, a trustee can bill the trust for legal fees, it depends on how the trust was written (and of course if a trustee was committing fraud, no judge would allow them to use it as a defense fund.)

In this situation, pushing the trust administration off to a professional would probably have diffused the lawsuit entirely, since the court no longer sees "trustee uncle vs. beneficiary niece" but instead "licensed professional vs. whiny brat". Then the niece would have had to find a lawyer to take this case on contingency and good luck with that.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, shall I take it as a heartfelt general feeling that CitizenKain is indeed full of poo poo? And that I was indeed right that the trust *can* be structured accordingly, albeit at significant but necessary expense.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

John Smith posted:

So, shall I take it as a heartfelt general feeling that CitizenKain is indeed full of poo poo? And that I was indeed right that the trust *can* be structured accordingly, albeit at significant but necessary expense.

The general consensus in every thread I see you mentioned seems to be that you're a douche. I've always kind of wondered why but now I know!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Where's that drat bird...

Edit:

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I have a feeling my parents/sister are about to be bad with money and want to run it by here since I can't say specifically how:

My sister has a condo downtown in a major city. She got it when she started medical school, but instead of a normal mortgage, my dad used his HELOC to buy it. Purchase price was 330k, 300k from HELOC and 30k "down payment". It is an interest only loan with a low to mid 3.XX rate. He charged her "rent" equal to the interest payments.

5 years later, she is in residency in the same city and want to keep living in the condo. The entire 300k principle is still there, but the condo has appreciated to about 400k... maybe... based on Zillow. The area has gentrified a bit and there is a brand new whole foods half a block away, so maybe its true.

The HELOC is ending (for some reason?) and they are discussing what they are going to do. I put forth that they should refinance into a regular mortgage under my sisters name. I get told this would be a waste of money and my dad wants to shop around to other banks and get a new loan, once again an interest only HELOC (again not sure why he needs to move it). He think she would save significantly in interest by doing a HELOC over a regular mortgage. Also with interest only her payments would be much less and that she should go for the cheaper option in the short term since she will be making significantly more money after residency. I know the assumption of higher future income burned a lot of people in 2008, but baring something crazy, its pretty sure at this point.

I get the sense this whole thing is/was a terrible idea, but I don't have anything specific to back up it.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Is HELOC interest deductible like regular mortgage interest though? If her income jumps, that would help as her marginal rate will determine how much the deduction is worth.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Sounds like Dad wouldn't get to deduct the HELOC interest (that he's not actually paying himself and probably is not eligible to deduct) anymore so that could be why he's opposing it.

Refinancing in the actual owner's name seems like a very obvious Good Decision to me if only for liability reasons. Your Dad is hosed if, for example, Sister has the deed to the property and decides to stop paying interest.

E: no idea if HELOC rates are less than mortgage rates. Maybe you save on closing costs?

antiga fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 31, 2017

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
^^^ it's this. The overall scheme is really BWM quite honestly since if she and her parents together had just made 15 year mortgage payments together in the first place they would have $175k principal equity PLUS the good fortune of appreciation in the property by the end of 9 years of medical school and residency which is astoundingly GWM

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My boss (makes approximately 104k per year) is currently complaining to her personal assistant (makes about 32k per year) that she is having a fight with her ex-husband (who she lives with to "stay together for the kid") about money.

She bought her daughter American Girl Doll pajamas - these are pajamas for her doll - for $240 and her ex-husband won't pay for half of the cost and wants to get her something different from him.

She is also fighting with him about cosigning for a personal loan for 20k to pay for the following for her daughter:

- 1 hour of private tumbling instruction a week
- Membership fee for a traveling tumbling/cheerleading team
- Uniforms and time with a professional choreographer (these are apparently required as part of the team)
- Travel expenses for the tumbling team
- Multiple pairs (for backups) of some kind of special cheerleading/tumbling shoe that apparently costs several hundred dollars.

Her daughter is 4-years old.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
On which line does everyone else put tumbling/tumbling dues/tumbling shoes on their budget? Isn't becoming a professional cheerleader BWM, unless you marry an NFL player?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Technically those are a form of candle.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
She's now complaining that she is very upset that the tumbling team, choreographer, and personal tumbling instructor all require cash or check and won't take a credit card.

She wants her ex-husband to cosign the loan because she can't get a personal loan (even with 104k a year in income) because she has too much current debt.

Told her personal assistant (32k per year) that you can't have kids and live on her (104k) salary.

*HER DAUGHTER IS 4*

Who is going to a traveling tumbling/cheerleading competition (the team goes to meets once a month all over the country and travel expenses are part of the dues upfront) to watch 4-year olds other than the parents of those 4-year olds and wealthy pedophiles?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She's now complaining that she is very upset that the tumbling team, choreographer, and personal tumbling instructor all require cash or check and won't take a credit card.

She wants her ex-husband to cosign the loan because she can't get a personal loan (even with 104k a year in income) because she has too much current debt.

Told her personal assistant (32k per year) that you can't have kids and live on her (104k) salary.

*HER DAUGHTER IS 4*

Who is going to a traveling tumbling/cheerleading competition (the team goes to meets once a month all over the country and travel expenses are part of the dues upfront) to watch 4-year olds other than the parents of those 4-year olds and wealthy pedophiles?

You gotta travel all over the country to find the teams. There's only so many marks in an area able and willing to spend $20k/year on competitive tumbling for 4 year olds.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Good Parmesan posted:

On which line does everyone else put tumbling/tumbling dues/tumbling shoes on their budget? Isn't becoming a professional cheerleader BWM, unless you marry an NFL player?

Yeah they get paid about $100 a game and nothing for practice, public appearances, calendars, etc., all of which are mandatory: http://abcnews.go.com/US/cheerleaders-sue-nfl-alleging-conspiracy-unfair-wages/story?id=45176620

The lawsuit's already been chucked out too: https://www.bna.com/nfl-cheerleaders-pay-n73014451636/

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

greazeball posted:

Yeah they get paid about $100 a game and nothing for practice, public appearances, calendars, etc., all of which are mandatory: http://abcnews.go.com/US/cheerleaders-sue-nfl-alleging-conspiracy-unfair-wages/story?id=45176620

The lawsuit's already been chucked out too: https://www.bna.com/nfl-cheerleaders-pay-n73014451636/

Also expressly forbidden from fraternizing with players so can't even get it on that sweet football wife gig.

I didn't know the suit got thrown out...that's really lovely.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
They need a union real bad.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

paragon1 posted:

They need a union real bad.

They do, but even ignoring the general anti-union sentiment in this country, it's particularly hard to unionize workers who have short careers. We really need a nationwide marketing initiative for the "gently caress You, Pay Me" movement.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Bob Barker's Beauties on The Price Is Right have had more luck protecting their interests than NFL cheerleaders, but I suspect that many of them (the NFL cheerleaders) still do alright. Former Virginia Governor McDonnell is married to a former Redskins cheerleader. On topic: they were prosecuted in federal court for being BWM/ethics!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LLCoolJD posted:

Bob Barker's Beauties on The Price Is Right have had more luck protecting their interests than NFL cheerleaders, but I suspect that many of them (the NFL cheerleaders) still do alright. Former Virginia Governor McDonnell is married to a former Redskins cheerleader. On topic: they were prosecuted in federal court for being BWM/ethics!

Yeah pro cheerleading sort of functions as a weird finishing school for professional Babes. A lot of them go on to do spokesmodel stuff, kind of like beauty queens. A lot of overlap between those two groups probably.

Jan 11, 2004
That the most profitable sports league in the world can't find a small but respectable salary to pay its cheerleaders is just another symptom of the general societal disease that is the NFL. There is basically nobody the NFL owners will not actively gently caress over for money: players, local governments, and cheerleaders

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

That the most profitable sports league in the world can't find a small but respectable salary to pay its cheerleaders is just another symptom of the general societal disease that is the NFL. There is basically nobody the NFL owners will not actively gently caress over for money: players, local governments, and cheerleaders

BWM: Not shelling out for the only known recording of the first instance of your marquee sporting event

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/03/sports/football/super-bowl-i-recording-broadcast-nfl-troy-haupt.html

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

NFL cheerleading even crosses into MLM territory. IIRC they shoot promotional calendars and then force the cheerleaders themselves buy them from the team and re-sell them on their own. Shockingly, no one makes their money back.

Jan 11, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

BWM: Not shelling out for the only known recording of the first instance of your marquee sporting event

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/03/sports/football/super-bowl-i-recording-broadcast-nfl-troy-haupt.html

It's actually exquisitely GWM because the recording is not honestly worth very much in terms of commercial broadcast income (i.e. the absolute only thing the NFL gives a gently caress about) and their threats to enforce their copyrights effectively prevent a third party collectors market from existing. They don't want to be extorted for film of their event and they don't want the owner to profit off its sale, either.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
An Atlanta Falcons cheerleader worked at my old job and did a meet and greet right before the Super Bowl.

She has the unfortunate name of Riley Reed. Cue multitudes of guys in the building Googling her name and getting redirected to a different lady in an industry that also takes advantage of its female talent.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

It's actually exquisitely GWM because the recording is not honestly worth very much in terms of commercial broadcast income (i.e. the absolute only thing the NFL gives a gently caress about) and their threats to enforce their copyrights effectively prevent a third party collectors market from existing. They don't want to be extorted for film of their event and they don't want the owner to profit off its sale, either.

Well it's BWHistory then :colbert:

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010
Convicted Medicaid cheater now victim of Ponzi scheme

quote:

A woman now in prison for Medicaid fraud used some of her ill-gotten gains to invest in a Ponzi scheme, according to court documents.

Tracie Yvette Clay pleaded guilty in 2014 to three counts of health care fraud and is now serving a six-year sentence at a federal prison in West Virginia. Authorities said Clay, the chief executive of Durham-based North Carolina Behavioral Health and Counseling, illegally used Medicaid ID numbers and a doctor's billing code to steal more than $1 million in Medicaid money.

New court documents show that Clay, her husband and their son used some of that Medicaid money to invest in ZeekRewards, a Lexington-based company that promised a $100 return on every $1 invested.

Federal regulators shut down ZeekRewards in 2012, accusing it of illegally selling investments.

IRS agents are now trying to seize $25,000 the Clays invested in the scheme. Tens of thousands of other people also are fighting to get some of their money back from the defunct company.

Once Clay is released from prison, she also must pay off a $990,000 fine.

Stealing from the feds?
Investing in ponzi scheme?
Million dollar federal fine?

Is stealing from the feds BWM? I think stealing from the feds to invest in a ponzi scheme is definitely BWM. Would a fine of this nature be bankruptable? I can't imagine that it would be, and if it's not, that's lifetime garnishment.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
BWM Bingo Alert: Family members involved in MLM scheme

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/6eeyhd/my_23f_familys_involvement_in_a_multilevel/

quote:

Hi, Internet.
Three years ago, my Aunt A became involved in a multi-level marketing organization called Plexus. For those of you who are unaware, Plexus markets itself as a healthcare company. It is akin to Herbalife, AdvoCare, Limu, etc. They claim that their "Pink Drink" and other products support a healthy glucose metabolism, are packed with probiotics, help people lose weight, etc. It should come as no surprise that these claims are false. A quick investigation into Plexus will show you that their products are banned from Australia, Amazon, and that the company has been issued countless FDA warnings. TL;DR – Plexus is bullshit.

With that being said, I never said anything to Aunt A about Plexus. I didn't care. Her posts were harmless. However, over the past year and a half, things have changed.

My Grandma, Aunt B, and Aunt C have also become involved in Plexus through Aunt A. They are constantly pushing the products on our family members and friends. When I visited my grandparents for the holidays, my Grandma was relentless in her pursuit to get me to take some Plexus supplement that she claimed would increase my energy. She also wanted me to try to the "Pink Drink," which is also known as Plexus Slim. It looks like Crystal Light (powdered drink mix in a small tube, for those unfamiliar) and apparently regulates your "gut health," according to my relatives. I politely refused each time, but also raised the question of Plexus' validity.... to which I was met with anecdotal evidence that it works.

Recently, my Aunt B has been posting about a new product called Vital Biome. Here is the status:

NEW PRODUCT ALERT!!!!! Got stress, anxiety, sadness, or anger and looking for something PROVEN (clinical studies) to get to the ROOT of it? Here is a healthy and NATURAL way! let's chat like ASAP!! It's available NOW!! See comments...

Normally, I would ignore their statuses, but this one made me angry. It's one thing to tempt people with the idea of weight loss, but claiming that Plexus can get the "root" of anxiety and other issues is absolutely asinine. I left a short comment on my Aunt B's status that this was ridiculous. Plexus can't address mental health issues, and I found it dishonest that the company was claiming it can. I also wrote that, while I am skeptical, many people are not. I said it worried me that someone might see her status and opt for Plexus over professional treatment. My comment was instantly deleted, and Aunt A and Aunt B both sent me insane text messages.

Aunt B told me that I needed to read articles about gut health and mental illness because I don't know what I'm talking about. My Aunt A sent me a much longer text message about how I was being disrespectful, I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm insulting our family, I don't really "know" our family, I need to Google "gut health," etc. I haven't responded to these messages because I think they both sound insane. I understand that they may feel empowered by Plexus (especially Aunt A), but their involvement in it is going to destroy our relationship. I love them, but I am not going to stand by and allow them to spread false health information so they can make $200/month and get a discount on their products.

Is there anything I can do, beyond ignoring them when they talk about Plexus? More importantly, is there any way that I could convince them to stop participating in this scam?

tl;dr: Multiple family members are involved in a multi-level marketing (pyramid) scheme. They have began spreading false health information and I want them to stop.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

They don't want to be extorted for film of their event and they don't want the owner to profit off its sale, either.

lol

won't someone think of the poor multi-billion dollar corporation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Weatherman posted:

lol

won't someone think of the poor multi-billion dollar corporation non-profit?

:eng101: