Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

The Belgian posted:

Sure, but how is this going to result in theor governments using nuclear weapons? Climate change might increasy internal dissent, trigger civil war,. destabilize the government as it's doing in the Middle East & Africa. But why would this result in the use of nuclear weapons? They nuke their own people to achieve??

I could imagine a scenario where India and Pakistan use nuclear weapons against each other, or India and China, or China and Russia, as a result of climate-induced civil strife.

I'd imagine if the states self-destructed the USA and other powers would try to secure the nuclear weapons and do a decent job of it, so no, I wouldn't imagine that nukes would be used internally whether against rebels or factions in a civil war, but I could see it happening as part of an escalation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The Belgian posted:

Sure, but how is this going to result in theor governments using nuclear weapons? Climate change might increasy internal dissent, trigger civil war,. destabilize the government as it's doing in the Middle East & Africa. But why would this result in the use of nuclear weapons? They nuke their own people to achieve??

Wars over resources. For example, India and Pakistan, being neighbors, would have joint control over the rivers and lakes between their borders. Same thing for fishing rights and things like that.

I don't know the actual geography of the the area, but imagine that India dams up a river to make a reservoir to feed their drought stricken cities. Now Pakistani farmers downstream have no water and dying crops. Imagine India and Pakistan have a treaty to only pump a certain amount of water from an underground aquifer that sits under both countries, and India decides to ignore the treaty and pump all they can since their farmland in dying. Imagine Pakistan sends fishing fleets into India's coastal waters because they are desperate for food.

Water and fish resources are two things that cross international borders so you often have joint control, they are two things that billions of people rely on to survive, and they are two things that will be hosed over by climate change.

Imagine a best case scenario, where say India is pumping a shared aquifer dry, so Pakistan decides to build a desalination plant. Pakistani citizens would still be livid about having to spend the money to do that. Little fights are going to escalate into wars as things get worse.

Please note that I have no Idea if India and Pakistan share any rivers or aquifers, its just an example.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
You don't have to imagine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zangmu_Dam

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Did this get brought up in today's well of bad news?

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/mass-extinction-humans-causing-earth-deaths-end-times-warning-a7765856.html

quote:

Extinction rates for birds, mammals and amphibians are similar to the five global mass-extinction events of the past 500 million years that probably resulted from meteorite impacts, massive volcanism and other cataclysmic forces.

quote:

In one of a series of papers in Nature, a team of international scientists wrote: “The ever-increasing and unprecedented extent and impact of human activities on land and in the oceans over the past few centuries has dramatically reduced global biodiversity. 

“There is overwhelming evidence that habitat loss and fragmentation, over-exploitation of biological resources, pollution, species invasions and climate change have increased rates of global species extinctions to levels that are much higher than those observed in the fossil record.”

And we are not immune from such problems.

I really cannot understand how people can view most other life on Earth as holding less inherent value than cramming another 4 Billion human lives into squalor and horror.

This world has gone mad.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I didn't even know that there were people in this thread or elsewhere who didn't think that India and Pakistan were going to exchange nukes pretty soon. It seems pretty inevitable to me, considering the political and geographical situation of the two countries when faced with the consequences of climate change in that part of the world.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's their fault for not adapting. You cannot prevent global warming. You adapt to it.

I say in an authoritative tone to mask the fact I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Rime posted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/mass-extinction-humans-causing-earth-deaths-end-times-warning-a7765856.html

I really cannot understand how people can view most other life on Earth as holding less inherent value than cramming another 4 Billion human lives into squalor and horror.

This world has gone mad.

Um that's what all species do.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Jimbot posted:

I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about.

That's obvious.

Rime posted:

This world has gone mad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM1-DQ2Wo_w

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

One day, you'll come to discover and understand humor. Then, perhaps, pleasant interaction with fellow people will follow. Until that day, please remain in your corner.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Blitz7x posted:

or the great oceanic conveyer belt grinding to a halt

I'm interested in this, surely as the ocean warms it will become more active? More energy in a system=more movement? Does anyone have any not-to-technical things to read about the effect of climate change on large ocean currents?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

yaffle posted:

I'm interested in this, surely as the ocean warms it will become more active? More energy in a system=more movement? Does anyone have any not-to-technical things to read about the effect of climate change on large ocean currents?

Before the ocean warms it will be filled with vast quantities of ice-cold water, the frozen reserves of which sit right beside the conveyor. This kills the conveyor.

Current research indicates the North Atlantic is already slowing rapidly and may stop within a decade, but nobody knows how bad it really is yet.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

yaffle posted:

Temperature differences are what cause long-distance movement. Like if your house is heated but you open a door in winter.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

got any sevens posted:

Temperature differences are what cause long-distance movement. Like if your house is heated but you open a door in winter.

Yeah, it's all about differentials, and about "system maintains the energy balance but changes its form" which would seem inconsequential globally but problematic in practical terms given that we built all our cities and stuff where we expected things to be colder and warmer than they would be if the current forms of these systems happened to change.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

So where do you want to set the boundary at? 1B+? There are definitely lots of scenarios that put us at 1B+ deaths and a lot of them can be affected by human action. There will be much larger zones of uninhabitability across the globe, and they will cause massive human migrations because a lot of them will be inhabited. Coincidentally, a lot of the first regions to suffer are in North Africa and the Middle East. I hear we're dying to take in refugees from there.

I'm just being pedantic here, but I'd say it's a question of time. If we're talking about a billion deaths attributable to warming over the next century then that's obviously horrifying, but it's not going to have a meaningful impact on the global population over the long term. I'm not trying to downplay the massive human costs of climate change, I just think that using terms like "extinction" and "mass die off" mischaracterizes the problem, at least if we're talking about humans. Humans aren't going to go extinct and the global population isn't going to be cut in half by 2100 (at least not thanks to climate change).

quote:

You realize recent models are talking about 8C warming in urban areas right? Plants don't do photosynthesis above 40C and humans don't live past the 100% humidity equivalent of 35C. You should probably recalibrate your expectations in terms of the magnitude of expected changes, and this doesn't even begin to touch on the upscaling of expected sea level rise that will destroy places like Bangladesh.

I do understand these things and I've made posts to this effect in this thread.

parcs
Nov 20, 2011
Check out this recent lecture by Nate Hagens for a nice overview of our ecological predicament: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUSpsT6Oqrg&t=6s

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

yaffle posted:

Atlantic Conveyor shutting down means the North Atlantic freezes (or rather, gets balmy for a while until global temperature catches up) while the tropics broil. It effectively puts a stop to long-distance exchange of energy across the ocean, disrupting its ecology and further promoting the creation of dead zones.

But just as with the acidification, jellyfish will love it.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

yaffle posted:

Energy transfer is dependent on the energy gradient, "greater differences in energy", the greater the energy transfer and activity required. While the earth system is getting more energetic, the poles are expected to warm disproportionally with the rest of the planet. In some instances the energy gradient could shrink. A fundamental truth is that energy will be transport from the tropics to the poles. For the most port, the wherefores and hows are a bit confused at this point, anyone feel free to correct.

Some things we do know:

The hadley cell is expanding and as a consequence the subtropical ridges (northern and southern hemispheres) are moving poleward.
And as a direct consequence of this, the midlatitude storm tracks are also moving poleward, for the most part.

Not really what you were asking about but ocean current really aren't my thing.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
For the hard science aspect, yes, according to data published in 2015 the AMOC has already slowed by 20%:

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncl....iflscience.com

A new study published this year demonstrates that continued warming will result in the collapse of the north sub-polar gyre, the impact of which would be an almost-instantaneous shutdown of the AMOC: https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14375

This second link is good because it spends a fair bit of time explaining in relatively understandable terms how it is that warming oceans may ultimately disrupt a warming current. :)

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
The answer is obviously jellyfish burritos and jellyfish biomass reactors.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Some minor good news: From Climate Killer to Climate Saviour

It looks like China will overshoot the Pariser agreement by a large margin. They've also been busy closing thousands of factories. Especially coal (1,3 million jobs gone) and steel industry (0,5 million jobs gone) have been reduced by a large amount.

They're also still massively investing into renewables: In 2016 alone, China built more solar- and wind power plants than the entire rest of the world combined!

The best part: Chinas economy was and is still growing through all of this massive reform program.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
China >>> USA

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The claim that large energy infrastructure projects are a drag on GDP has always been an ideological one. Republicans would prefer not to admit that any government spending might stimulate the economy, and their donors would prefer to keep legacy energy systems in place because they own those systems.

As always, it's a mistake to assume any of these Republican arguments were made in good faith though many footsoldiers certainly believe them now.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Arglebargle III posted:

Republicans would prefer not to admit that any government spending might stimulate the economy

Except defense spending, of course.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

BattleMoose posted:

China >>> USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKF0IYwhrjk

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Libluini posted:

It looks like China will overshoot the Pariser agreement by a large margin. They've also been busy closing thousands of factories. Especially coal (1,3 million jobs gone) and steel industry (0,5 million jobs gone) have been reduced by a large amount.

They're also still massively investing into renewables: In 2016 alone, China built more solar- and wind power plants than the entire rest of the world combined!

The best part: Chinas economy was and is still growing through all of this massive reform program.

This is good.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Libluini posted:

So I was going to come in here and lmao about the credibility of NBS China measurements but the actual report to which this article refers actually includes a drat-near-full-page caveat (page 24) on the dubious reliability of Chinese statistics in this realm. It also sourced consumption/production stats from a bunch of external and international agencies, so, way to go I guess!

Take anything with the phrase "by 2020" in it with a handful of salt.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Whole mess of rad videos here: Arctic Circle, 2016 assembly

Sample:
https://vimeo.com/206578787

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ol Standard Retard posted:

So I was going to come in here and lmao about the credibility of NBS China measurements but the actual report to which this article refers actually includes a drat-near-full-page caveat (page 24) on the dubious reliability of Chinese statistics in this realm. It also sourced consumption/production stats from a bunch of external and international agencies, so, way to go I guess!

Take anything with the phrase "by 2020" in it with a handful of salt.

Yeah, anyone who believes anything China says about anything is... naive, to say the least.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Calving imminent

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, anyone who believes anything China says about anything is... naive, to say the least.

Sure, statistics can be unreliable, but cut this poo poo out. The way things are going, I'd prefer Europe siding with China to Europe siding with the US. Because the latter looks more and more like Europe is chained to a fast sinking anchor.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Conspiratiorist posted:

Calving imminent

I'm more excited by this than I should be.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Libluini posted:

Sure, statistics can be unreliable, but cut this poo poo out. The way things are going, I'd prefer Europe siding with China to Europe siding with the US. Because the latter looks more and more like Europe is chained to a fast sinking anchor.

It depends on what you consider to be an anchor because it's six of one, half a dozen of the other. Either a recalcitrant political obstinance backed up by extremely dependable data (though who knows how long that will last) or a blustery set of positive rhetorical compliance, guaranteed by extremely dubious, subjective statistics.

Both are bad options :smith:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I hope everyone is excited about death!

In other news, Arctic sea ice extent is now at 5th lowest; 2016 and 2015 are the only two drastically lower of those 5, which also include 2011 and 2010. 2012 was at about the same extent as yesterday still on June 7th, yet fell rapidly and passed all but 2016 on June 11th, which it passed on June 28th.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 1, 2017

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

To what level does the atmosphere have to change before it can accommodate those large prehistoric insects. I want dragonflys the size of pigeons and spiders and scorpions the size of dogs.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ughhhh posted:

To what level does the atmosphere have to change before it can accommodate those large prehistoric insects. I want dragonflys the size of pigeons and spiders and scorpions the size of dogs.

Insects can't compete with birds and, well, basically everything else, so you'd also need a complete collapse of higher order life.

Which, seeing as how things are going, looks good for you.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

parcs posted:

Check out this recent lecture by Nate Hagens for a nice overview of our ecological predicament: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUSpsT6Oqrg&t=6s

this is good in its being true but his proscriptions are just typical smug "do better people"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

TildeATH posted:

Insects can't compete with birds and, well, basically everything else, so you'd also need a complete collapse of higher order life.

Which, seeing as how things are going, looks good for you.

We'd need far more oxygen in the atmosphere however, and we're heading towards the opposite due to ocean acidification effects (deoxygenation).

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

ughhhh posted:

If I recall correctly those insects could only exist because of an highly increased amount of oxygen in the atmosphere (which also led to cool/terrifying effects like lightning causing explosions during thunderstorms). So that probably won't be happening any time soon.

e: beaten!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

FourLeaf posted:

If I recall correctly those insects could only exist because of an highly increased amount of oxygen in the atmosphere (which also led to cool/terrifying effects like lightning causing explosions during thunderstorms). So that probably won't be happening any time soon.

e: beaten!

Those lightning explosions sound metal as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

No joke, one of the long-term outcomes of the ocean dying due to acidification is the extinction of all higher order life as the atmosphere depletes its oxygen. It's not something that will happen in a timespan that matters to living humans (as it'd occur over a couple thousands of years), but that's how serious of an extinction event we're looking at.