Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Blitz7x posted:

I think the EPA is extremely valuable, I don't know why I'm getting jumped by saying it's heavily mismanaged and filled with incompetent people

Edit: that being said, Scott Pruitt is a huge step down

without understanding your exact interactions, i imagine because your interpretation of your experience is much like when i complain about a parking ticket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yonah
May 30, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

The Glumslinger posted:

It was funny, but really that is all there is to it. Trump hosed up, took forever to notice, then doubled down on it being intentional. Its a microcosm of everything about him, but it also means loving nothing in the grand scheme of things.
also we're all desperately in need of stress relief

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think she called it intentional, but I haven't been able to find the clip or a direct quote so I'm going on my flawed memory. But when I saw it I thought she said the White House was happy to see us distracted with something dumb, not that they actively planned it. But I can't find anything to confirm/correct.

found it

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/31/politics/hillary-clinton-covfefe/index.html

plus what the other guy quoted and yea, i don't see a problem with what she said?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JeffersonClay posted:

The actual quote

"It's to avert attention. It's like covfefe. Trending! Worldwide! Maybe for a minute you'll forget the latest accusation about them transpiring with Russia," she said. "It's the circus, right? It's what a classic authoritarian does."

She's not wrong.

she is.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Interesting story in the LA Times, about a democratic town hall in CA where a couple of Trumpers derailed the town hall, which was specifically focused on Trump's Immigration policies

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-three-arrested-at-rep-lou-correa-1496250254-htmlstory.html

quote:

About a dozen people were having none of it. Some of the most tense moments came when Correa started talking about green card holders who served in the U.S. military and have since been deported.

"Ma'am, I'm trying to be courteous here," he said as a woman kept speaking over him.

“As soon as I started speaking, it became very clear they were not going to let me speak,” Correa said Wednesday. “They just got louder and louder.”

Video of the town hall posted on social media shows people in the crowd yelling "Americans first" and "illegals have no rights."

Correa repeatedly asks them to let him speak. "Are you guys going to cooperate, or am I going to have to ask you to leave?" he said.

About 15 minutes in, as some in the crowd continued to shout and their attention turned to berating a group of counter-protesters, Correa declared the meeting over.

A handful of people circled around Correa as he tried to leave, yelling "Shame, shame" and "You guys all want welfare." One woman's voice can be heard repeatedly yelling "Coward!"

Police emptied the room amid chants of "USA." The crowd streamed into the parking lot, where confrontations quickly started between supporters of President Trump and others who appeared to be focused on Native American rights.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

skylined! posted:

found it

plus what the other guy quoted and yea, i don't see a problem with what she said?

Yeah, you can interpret that "that's what an authoritarian does" line as "it was all planned!" but that feels like a stretch to me. She mocked it a couple of times and then I think she was just saying "but seriously, they like it when you get distracted from the real scandals with stupid stuff like this". Which is 100% true and fair.

I have some disagreements with some other stuff she said but it's the sort of disagreements I've had with her for the better part of the last couple of decades. Shes not changing that and no one should expect her to just go away. Which some people obviously do.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 1, 2017

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!

Translation: "I choose to believe in magic over observable reality"

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

skylined! posted:

found it

Hillary Clinton says something that is true.

Media and Twitter Leftists take it out context and spin to make it look like she is wrong and out of touch.

Oh, 2017. So like 2016.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

JeffersonClay posted:

The actual quote

"It's to avert attention. It's like covfefe. Trending! Worldwide! Maybe for a minute you'll forget the latest accusation about them transpiring with Russia," she said. "It's the circus, right? It's what a classic authoritarian does."

She's not wrong.

I'm starting to think Hillary disking Grooveland Neato posted tweets from a biased source.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

She said "nothing burger". She's gonna get the nom again.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

can you flesh this out please?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Reminder: Erick Erickson is so dumb he once pulled out a gun and repeatedly shot a newspaper article because it made him mad. This was a thing that literally happened.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/TWD913/status/870048910458445829

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 1, 2017

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
If Trump had a brain in his skull, he'd realize he could just tweet nonsensical things about old TV shows and McDonalds and it would distract people away from things that matter

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

skylined! posted:

can you flesh this out please?

classic authoritarian is doing this poo poo specifically to distract you. look at putin. trump isn't doing this to distract anyone he and his peeps are doing it because he's a thin skinned moron. you can't point at someone filling their diaper and people laughing at it and go LOOK LOOK CLASSIC AUTHORITARIAN MOVE!

gaunab is a moron.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Skex posted:

Sure she's flawed, sure she's a DLC flunky but her heart has always been in the right place.

Maybe this is the source of contention????????????????????????

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

classic authoritarian is doing this poo poo specifically to distract you. look at putin. trump isn't doing this to distract anyone he and his peeps are doing it because he's a thin skinned moron. you can't point at someone filling their diaper and people laughing at it and go LOOK LOOK CLASSIC AUTHORITARIAN MOVE!

gaunab is a moron.

ya ima agree with the other dude that i am failing to find where she assigned intent to the situation. it is, in fact, a pointless - even if cathartic - distraction; and anything that distracts from the office's horrible agenda is beneficial to them.

like, i'm following her logic even if vaguely worded. i'm following yours too, if she said what you are attributing to her.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

nine-gear crow posted:

Reminder: Erick Erickson is so dumb he once pulled out a gun and repeatedly shot a newspaper article because it made him mad. This was a thing that literally happened.

Is there video?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there's no reason for her to bring up the last bit unless she's assigning that intent.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The Glumslinger posted:

Interesting story in the LA Times, about a democratic town hall in CA where a couple of Trumpers derailed the town hall, which was specifically focused on Trump's Immigration policies

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-three-arrested-at-rep-lou-correa-1496250254-htmlstory.html

This makes me worried about 2020 more than anything

There seem to be a lot of democrats who believe that nothing matters. If this attitude continues, Trump will win, as republicans sure as hell are motivated

Then again, I worry way too loving much

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Apropos of nothing, I've decided that "covfefe" was not only mistakenly typed and sent when Donald Trump accidentally fell off the toilet mid-tweet, but was also the audible noise he made as he did.

I got no sources for this other than my own amusement/sanity.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

skylined! posted:

where is anyone seeing she commented on it? where did she refer to it as an intentional distraction?

edit: missed a few posts discussing it already

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

christ nevermind i hate litigating anything clinton in this thread

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there video?

Sadly no, but there is photographic "proof" from the man himself.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

skylined! posted:

uh ok that's not how english works but you do you

actually it is. lol there's no litigation you and the other guy are wrong.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Blitz7x posted:

I think the EPA is extremely valuable, I don't know why I'm getting jumped by saying it's heavily mismanaged and filled with incompetent people

Most people aren't brought in or hired as managers because they're good managers. I suspect this is more of a problem in government than private sector but this issue certainly isn't just in the EPA.

That said, my part of government functions pretty well though complaints about DC & managerial direction from there aren't uncommon.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

actually it is. lol there's no litigation you and the other guy are wrong.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/869858333477523458

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Don't worry god's gonna help kids with whooping cough, too.

Oh wait he did already and you ignored him you stupid fucks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yes?? he's doing the "i'm not mad, it's funny to me actually".

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Groovelord Neato posted:

there's no reason for her to bring up the last bit unless she's assigning that intent.

I interpret that as her responding to Spicer's cryptic non-answer as the "authoritarian" thing she's calling attention to. Not that Trump intentionally tweeted a typo as a clever distraction, but that the White House is happy to throw a log on the fire to let that keep distracting people from all the actual news.

I don't KNOW that my interpretation is her intention but the ambiguity seems clear if we're being fair. She never said "intentional", she at best implied it as an afterthought after repeatedly mocking it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

trickybiscuits posted:

Wait till they realize that every program they're on is welfare

They are welfare

quote:

Percentage of program beneficiaries who report that they "have never received a government benefit or used a government social program." (Source: Mettler - 2010)

Employer-Provided Healthcare Tax Credit

401(k)

529 or Coverdell

Home Mortgage Interest Deduction

Hope or Lifetime Learning Tax Credit

Subsidized Federal Student Loans and/or Stafford Loans

Refundable Child or Dependent Care Tax Credit

Earned Income Tax Credit

Social Security (Retirement and Survivors)

Pell Grants

Unemployment Insurance

Veteran's Benefits (Other than G.I. Bill)

G.I. Bill

Medicare

Head Start

Social Security Disability

SSI - Social Security Supplemental Income

Medicaid

Cash Assistance/Welfare/TANF

Government Subsidized/Section 8 Housing

Food Stamps/Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 1, 2017

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

She's arguing trump's tweeting in general is a purposeful distraction from issues that damage him, not that every individual tweet is some multilayered psyop. This is immediately obvious to anyone whose brain didn't break 8 months ago.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

pretty rich coming with that title.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

yes?? he's doing the "i'm not mad, it's funny to me actually".

ok dude you win she's awful and needs to go away forever guess you really owned me here

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/870068516615016448

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

skylined! posted:

she's awful and needs to go away forever

dnd is a shithole if you people think and say this sarcastically.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

dnd is a shithole if you people think and say this sarcastically.

i'm saying it with the vain hope you will drop it because it's obvious you can't be swayed off your dumbfuck platform.

and just what exactly do you mean you people

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Hang the elf in the tree he grew up in!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sessions getting lynched would turn into autoerotic asphyxiation right quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
Hillary is a corrupt politician but hilariously better in every way than Trump and the anger on her is a combination of

- internalized misogyny
- internalization of decades of smears
- anger at her for losing to trump
- berniebro-ing
- finding a way to blame someone besides racist white people
- a very small % of totally valid poo poo

like "she literally praised reagan for his work on AIDS" or "she's supports a foreign policy that causes the death of innocents" are totally valid but rarely brought up

• Locked thread