Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I feel like "Woah Friedrich" is more appropriate at this junction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Good to see Hugo back, even if it's only in a weird parallel, purgatory side street.

Also I now really want Erin and Esther to have a chat about Erin's whole Queen of Hell phase.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is it just me or is Hugo making evil grins whenever Erin isn't looking directly at him?

Also, seriously, Friedrich, just make up a lie or something. Don't tell Poppy "you don't have to do anything; just sit back and wait while deceiving your girlfriend who incidentally I may have to assassinate."

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Rand Brittain posted:

Is it just me or is Hugo making evil grins whenever Erin isn't looking directly at him?

Also, seriously, Friedrich, just make up a lie or something. Don't tell Poppy "you don't have to do anything; just sit back and wait while deceiving your girlfriend who incidentally I may have to assassinate."

Friedrich isn't very good with people.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Alright, so I finished It Hurts. I stand by my earlier judgement that the early pages are trash and can mostly be skipped, but the final ones are fantastic and the comic makes an incline in quality so smooth that, other than the jump at page 100, you don't really notice it's getting better until you look back. On the whole, a Good Comic, but I don't think I'd have liked it anywhere near as much if I hadn't been able to read it all in short succession.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

It's weird seeing (hypothetical) Esther drawn by John again after getting used to her design in Giant Days.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Roach Warehouse posted:

It's weird seeing (hypothetical) Esther drawn by John again after getting used to her design in Giant Days.
I'm just worried what this storyline means for Giant Days. I feel it might be weird to find out how Esther turns out after Sheffield whiel that story's still being published. Also kind of a spoiler.

It's not getting cancelled, is it? :ohdear:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm just worried what this storyline means for Giant Days. I feel it might be weird to find out how Esther turns out after Sheffield whiel that story's still being published. Also kind of a spoiler.

I want Esther & The Kids to be canon because those look adorable.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Yvonmukluk posted:

How many times have Bobbins and Bad Machinery been canceled, again?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cat Mattress posted:

How many times have Bobbins and Bad Machinery been canceled, again?

I'm talking about Giant Days.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I feel reasonably confident in saying that Giant Days isn't going anywhere.

But who knows, I have no data to back that up beyond the July solicits.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm so glad I got to experience It Hurts

same

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It is a good webcomic, it's understandable why webcomic readers might not like it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It seems that they stopped Des the only way they could: Tackleford's hatred of Wendlefield.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
On the one hand I'm really looking forward to seeing how this situation escalates out of control in Poppy

On the other hand I'm really dreading this situation escalating out of control please be okay Kit, and also preferably don't side with the fat evil bird :ohdear:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Man, the author comments on the never satisfied page a few days ago...

quote:

also, hey, real talk: ya'll are allowed to not like january. that's fine, she can be a jerk, you don't have to like her. but keep it civil alright? i don't want to hear about her deserving punishment or physical harm. she's a sixteen year old gay girl. it's not a good look how bad some of ya'll want her blood.

anyway, carry on, just think about what you're saying

who wishes violent harm on cartoon characters? And half the cast are insufferable teenagers, how can you decide one is more deserving of physical harm than the others???

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 4, 2017

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
It's not Esther in the house. It'll be Zombie Shelley or Gibbous Moon or Shelby Winner or some other fakeout.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Nuns with Guns posted:

who wishes violent harm on cartoon characters? And half the cast are insufferable teenagers, how can you decide one is more deserving of physical harm than the others???

lol at how the cast page has a pronoun guide.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Never Satisfied is very #woke. The problem isn't that the cast page has a pronoun guide, it's that the cast page is literally nothing but a pronoun guide. They don't have characterization beyond their grammatical preference.

January's character is that of an awful bully. She's aggressive, threatening, hyper-competitive, and she had just coerced a wimpy character who had accidentally turned out to be the winner of a survival contest to just forfeit, putting him in a terrible situation at home. So of course the #woke readership feels that, as a bully, she's gotta suffer some karmic retribution. And so the author goes on to point out that she's a gay girl so cool it, alright? Except sexism and homophobia don't seem to exist in the NS setting anyway.

NS isn't too bad a webcomic, but it's so very shallow... The author going out to say that such character is non-binary and such other character is gay just feels like tokenism.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

January's character is that of an awful bully. She's aggressive, threatening, hyper-competitive, and she had just coerced a wimpy character who had accidentally turned out to be the winner of a survival contest to just forfeit, putting him in a terrible situation at home. So of course the #woke readership feels that, as a bully, she's gotta suffer some karmic retribution. And so the author goes on to point out that she's a gay girl so cool it, alright? Except sexism and homophobia don't seem to exist in the NS setting anyway.

NS isn't too bad a webcomic, but it's so very shallow... The author going out to say that such character is non-binary and such other character is gay just feels like tokenism.

This kind of thing happens a lot though with all sorts of comics.

If a character has really negative traits or does something that's terrible, you often get people wishing death on them and everything they are even remotely associated with. I can see a webcomic author telling people to chill when folks get really heated and are out for blood. I think it's more one of those things than said character can't do wrong because they are gay or whatever. Like the amount of vitriol people will get for a fictional character is something else. For that matter, it's a good reason for a comic these days to not have a comments section (since that tends to amplify this sort of thing when it does occur).

It's a good that the author can evoke that kind of emotion but it just gets out of hand in many cases. But you gotta stamp down on that or things get really bad really fast.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cat Mattress posted:

Never Satisfied is very #woke. The problem isn't that the cast page has a pronoun guide, it's that the cast page is literally nothing but a pronoun guide. They don't have characterization beyond their grammatical preference.

A lot of the other characters are serious about winning and they were all kind of mad that Sylas one by technicality. What I find strange about NS is how it seems like a very diverse and egalitarian world with lots of ethnic groups cohabiting peacefully, but the background setting still congealed into a samey Euro-Mediterranean fantasy city.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nuns with Guns posted:

A lot of the other characters are serious about winning and they were all kind of mad that Sylas one by technicality.

As the hover text helpfully points out, "90% of that screaming is just January".

Nuns with Guns posted:

What I find strange about NS is how it seems like a very diverse and egalitarian world with lots of ethnic groups cohabiting peacefully, but the background setting still congealed into a samey Euro-Mediterranean fantasy city.

You mean, it's actually very shallow in its worldbuilding and characterization?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Nuns with Guns posted:

Why does it matter that the character is gay in this instance

Like, it's not bad enough that people are mad or out for blood over this teenage character, but because she's gay too that makes it worse I guess? I don't read the comic and probably never will because I really don't like the art style but that just feels like a cheap guilt trip

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

why is the art in every xee xi xo xum comic completely identical

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imo people can just be gay without the story being about them being gay and so on

im reasonably sure the author isnt going youre not allowed to hate her cause shes gay theyre just saying whoa dial back the reaponse to my work here

Hogge Wild posted:

because creators who make similar things often know each other and influence each others styles and you arent picking up on the smaller differences between peoples personal art styles

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 4, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
xee xi xo xum, i smell the blood of a cis white male

Tollymain posted:

imo people can just be gay without the story being about them being gay and so on

im reasonably sure the author isnt going youre not allowed to hate her cause shes gay theyre just saying whoa dial back the reaponse to my work here

Just lol that their first response was not to mock people for being angry at a fictional character.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Hogge Wild posted:

I think that's just what insular art communities do. Same thing with animes, or old superhero comics.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tollymain posted:

because creators who make similar things often know each other and influence each others styles and you arent picking up on the smaller differences between peoples personal art styles

There would still be more variance than this. Back in the early days of webbed comic you'd see groups of webcartoonist friends with a pretty diverse range of styles. Look at the old Homestuck flashes, especially the later ones, you'll see a ton of different art styles on display from the same community. This feels more like people are being taught to draw a certain way for an art school degree and they all get tasked with making a webcomic that ties into their coursework. Either that or the even more :tinfoil: answer, they don't actually draw the comics themselves, there are artists who ghost on dozens of comics for quick cash until they burn out and someone new comes along and that's why every few years there seems like a new style that these comics all seem to be in.

Pavlov posted:

I think that's just what insular art communities do. Same thing with animes, or old superhero comics.

Yeah but it made sense for old Superhero comics were made to conform to a house style because it was easier to maintain the look of the brand, things wouldn't noticeably change too much if one artist was indisposed for whatever reason.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cat Mattress posted:

As the hover text helpfully points out, "90% of that screaming is just January".

Geeze... hiding that vital information in hover text really changes to tone of the whole thing.

Cat Mattress posted:

You mean, it's actually very shallow in its worldbuilding and characterization?

There's not enough comic for me to decide if the characters are flat stereotypes because of shallow writing or if things will fill out in interest ways later, but yeah the worldbuilding in this comic and a few similar ones always make be wonder why the world turned out (at least visually) not being that different from our own historical periods.

super sweet best pal posted:

ither that or the even more :tinfoil: answer, they don't actually draw the comics themselves, there are artists who ghost on dozens of comics for quick cash until they burn out and someone new comes along and that's why every few years there seems like a new style that these comics all seem to be in.

If you're going to get that :tinfoil: you might as well speculate that these webcomic-makers are all vat grown and every few years a new crop is released with an aesthetic market research says will be the most widely-appealing.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 4, 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

There would still be more variance than this. Back in the early days of webbed comic you'd see groups of webcartoonist friends with a pretty diverse range of styles. Look at the old Homestuck flashes, especially the later ones, you'll see a ton of different art styles on display from the same community. This feels more like people are being taught to draw a certain way for an art school degree and they all get tasked with making a webcomic that ties into their coursework. Either that or the even more :tinfoil: answer, they don't actually draw the comics themselves, there are artists who ghost on dozens of comics for quick cash until they burn out and someone new comes along and that's why every few years there seems like a new style that these comics all seem to be in.

Yeah but it made sense for old Superhero comics were made to conform to a house style because it was easier to maintain the look of the brand, things wouldn't noticeably change too much if one artist was indisposed for whatever reason.

Eh styles get popular and people influence and learn from each other within their communities. Then some people get really tired of that, diverge and do something completely different. Then a community builds around those artists and they all learn from/influence each other and the cycle repeats.

This has been a thing for as long as art has been a thing.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What little I've seen of this webcomic just looks exactly like what little I've seen of Steven Universe.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

I dunno. I mean artists being influenced by other artists- whether as youth or as contemporaries- is just, the thing so I think all it is now a days is that the internet allows for such a glut of content that people feel the need to ride the wave on whatever's popular in order to start picking up an audience.

Also they might just like the style or whatever series they picked it up from. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all.

Also also the internet's ease of entry means you're not seeing "professional" work, someone who's spent years developing their own style, adding and changing elements of other's styles along the way, until it becomes fairly unique (in theory), and then that crop is cut even further down by marketing and editors who say "nah not taking this to print".

Now we're seeing amateurs and students still trying to find their own identity, driven by the fan-market that wants more of the latest fad or trend. Not that that's a bad thing or anything though. It's pretty cool imo.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Every young webcomic artist today grew up consuming the same Cartoon Network/Disney/Nicktoons nonstop from the cradle and on into their adulthood. The style we see today is an amalgam of the most popular and/or gayest of these cartoons, reinforced by academic instructors who are increasingly influenced by the same material as their students.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Dabir posted:

What little I've seen of this webcomic just looks exactly like what little I've seen of Steven Universe.

ah yes it was that

does tviv still have a thread about that show and have there been more pedos outed?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

After actually looking at Never Satisfied, I'd say it's problem isn't that it's generic, kind of the opposite of that problem yet a way worse version, it looks like the artist imitates random styles from everywhere.I think I even saw Dresden Codak style on one page and why anyone would want to imitate that is a mystery we'll never solve.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Is the joke supposed to be everybody on this page is doing the same low-quality attempt at the same hot take.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Typical Pubbie posted:

Every young webcomic artist today grew up consuming the same Cartoon Network/Disney/Nicktoons nonstop from the cradle and on into their adulthood. The style we see today is an amalgam of the most popular and/or gayest of these cartoons, reinforced by academic instructors who are increasingly influenced by the same material as their students.

CURSE THOSE IVORY TOWER LIBERAL ACADEMICS

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

After actually looking at Never Satisfied, I'd say it's problem isn't that it's generic, kind of the opposite of that problem yet a way worse version, it looks like the artist imitates random styles from everywhere.I think I even saw Dresden Codak style on one page and why anyone would want to imitate that is a mystery we'll never solve.

haha, post the dresden page

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Nuns with Guns posted:

Geeze... hiding that vital information in hover text really changes to tone of the whole thing.
This is actually one of my big issues with NS. Like, the author gets really upset when commenters use the wrong pronouns for the eyepatch viewpoint character (who, not incidentally, has a girl's name) but there's literally nothing in the text of the comic that says "third-person 'they' is the only acceptable pronoun for this character to be addressed by." If you need to read hover text, or cast pages, or tumblr discussions or what have you, to get the comic, the comic's doing something wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can't read hover-text on my phone so putting important info there drives me up the wall.

• Locked thread