Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

They have the collective name Dreamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

There's a quote I can't locate now, but it specifically says The Wyrm enslaves bugkind. What that means isn't exactly clear, because we know that the Radiance also enslaves bugkind, in a seemingly much more obvious sense.

There are a few other things that I thought were weird. First off all, when The Dreamers cast you into the dream upon inspecting their grave/monument, it is a moth that guides you to the Dream Nail. Now this could be the Seer (manifesting in the dream), The Radiance, or just a general symbol of moths (who seem to be connected to the dream more than other bugs).

Second, the Seer has some interesting dialogue regarding the past. She says she is paying penitence for crimes of the past. She says,

"The folk of my tribe were born from a light. Light similar to Essence, similar to that powerful blade, though much brighter still.They were content to bask in that light and honoured it... for a time. But another light appeared in our world... A wyrm that took the form of a king. How fickle my ancestors must have been. They forsook the light that spawned them. Turned their backs to it... Forgot it even."

If this is the case, then obviously bugs (or at least moths) were not brainwashes zombies because they worshiped the Radiance, and then voluntarily forsook the Radiance to worship the Pale Kind. If they were able to do that than the Infection is not just what happens to you if you worship the Radiance, it's just the vengeance of a forgotten god. We know that the Pale King "expanded the minds of bugs", but I don't think that means he literally freed them from mental slavery, I think he just introduced science and technology and stuff like that.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

But Bardoon says that those who succumb to the light are reduced to merely base instinct. Just because the moths themselves retained sapience doesn't mean all bugs did.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

It seems a bit like a Garden of Eden allegory. The Radiance created bugkind and gave them happy, peaceful lives, but they were slaves in many ways. Along comes a Wyrm (Serpent) and he offers Bugkind a chance to be free, to have individuality and free will. He gives them knowledge and tries to get them to forget their creator. However, the bugs were still born of the Radiance and by turning their back to her were denying their base instincts, which the Radiance then exploited to take back control.

Though I really don't think that Bugkind before the Pale King were these mindless orange-eyes psychos with giant bulbous orange sacks on them. I think that they were just less sapient bugs, like what we would consider bugs to be in real life. I think the Infection is the Radiance going balls-to-the-wall and trying to wrestle back control from the Pale Light.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

There seems to be implication that Radiance-bugs are basically feral, and maybe they always were before Pale King came along and uplifted civilization, but it could also be that he just introduced like...society, and buildings, and engineering or w/e. The Moth tribesfolk and the tablets in Greenpath seem to suggest that there was at least some semblance of order before the Pale King.

I feel like I have a pretty good handle on the cosmology and sequence of events, who did what and who was where. My favorite little thing is the Great Knights. Of the the Pale King's five Great Knights: Hegemol's armor is definitely the armor the maggot/False Knight is wearing, so he's likely dead. The Grey Mourner is definitely Ze'mer. Isma's likeness is in Isma's shrine, I guess. Ogrim is the Dung Defender. Drya is the dead knight outside the White Lady's chambers, presumably died fighting the Traitor Mantis faction. The White Lady doesn't seem to know she's dead though, so maybe it 'just happened' when you arrive? Or maybe she's just that isolated.

The one thing I'm having trouble figuring is where the White Lady fits exactly. Feels obvious to say she is the 'Queen' in Queen's garden & Queen's station, but then I saw someone arguing that the Radiance was the Pale King in another post so I guess nothing is too obvious.

My question is what is she/where does she fit in? The tablet in Greenpath leading to her gardens states that 'these were formerly our lands but the creature there does not share our dream.' Most of the Greenpath tablets seem to be Radiance-written (or from his followers), so that would suggest that the White Lady was maybe something that was separate from the Radiance, perhaps even before the Pale King came along. She seems like she might be a similar being as the Radiance, as the reason she has bound herself, she says, is because she says she at times feels tempted by the 'same urge to spread her seeds and cover and consume everything' or w/e. Or maybe it's just because she's a plant-based creature, idk!

Also, I saw some people saying other things but we all agree p. much that Herrah wanted a child, and as payment for her service as a Dreamer, the Pale King used his little Void Workshop to create Hornet, right? She's not created as an empty vessel like the proto-Hollow Knights, though, she's created as an actual being.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I thought it was pretty clear that the Greenpath tablets are from worshippers of Unn

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Where is there any indication that the Radiance created any bugs other than the moths?

As for the White Lady, I think she's some another deity like power that intentionally restrained herself. I think she's a fungus, based on her appearance and ability to spread and reproduce without needing a partner. I think she restrained herself to control that desire because she likes the civilization created by the Wyrm (which is the Pale King) and wants to preserve. If she grew wild and consumed everything then the world would be much like one dominated by the Radiance.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

See, I got 100% but I missed the Unn stuff almost entirely except for 'this lake' 'this thing' 'this charm'. I guess it made sense to me that plant creatures would worship light, because photosynthesis etc., and the Moss Prophet/Moss Vagabonds stuff being definitely Radiance worshippers. And most of the 'share our dream' stuff seemed like Radiance-worshipper type stuff, since the Radiance was 'a dream' that filled the minds of bugs. So Unn-folk, White Lady, Radiance-moths, were all separate pre-Pale King stuff maybe?

Internet Kraken posted:

Where is there any indication that the Radiance created any bugs other than the moths?
I didn't think Radiance was limited to the moths pre-Pale King, just that he came from among them? You might be right.

quote:

As for the White Lady, I think she's some another deity like power that intentionally restrained herself. I think she's a fungus, based on her appearance and ability to spread and reproduce without needing a partner. I think she restrained herself to control that desire because she likes the civilization created by the Wyrm (which is the Pale King) and wants to preserve. If she grew wild and consumed everything then the world would be much like one dominated by the Radiance.
I kinda like the reading of White Lady as a fungus sorta thing, I think, but the plant-association seems real strong, and maybe a little 'duh' but seems like they'd link her to the Fungal stuff in the game at some point, but she's pretty firmly entrenched with the Gardens and Greenpath. But yes, I agree about the restraint.
e: and as that guy points out, 'root'.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 1, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The King refers to the White Lady's part in the equation with the word "root" so i dunno she's a plant god or something.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
One of the reasons I thought she was a fungus is because my first thought on seeing her was that she looked a lot like rhizomorphs.

Which are growths produced by some fungus that, incidentally, perform the same function as roots do.

This admittedly might just be because I like thinking stuff in games might be inspired by actual biology :v:

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yeah, I got what you meant, I can see it too when I look at her

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A part of White Lady's lines:

Do I seem prisoner here? If so, it's not by any choice but my own. These bindings about me, I've chosen to erect. There is some shame I feel from my own part in the deed, and this method guarantees it cease. I still feel that urge you see. I always will. A voracious desire to spread seeds upon the land, to propogate myself, to breed.

So it seems likely she's a plant or fungus of some sort.

I think that there are two ideas expressed by NPCs that should be considered unreliable:

1. The Hollow Knight (or other Void creatures) are truly "hollow". They seem to possess separate identity and agency, despite what others thought.

2. Radiance created anything. Seer quote:

The folk of my tribe were born from a light. Light similar to Essence, similar to that powerful blade, though much brighter still. They were content to bask in that light and honoured it... for a time. But another light appeared in our world... A wyrm that took the form of a king. How fickle my ancestors must have been. They forsook the light that spawned them. Turned their backs to it... Forgot it even. And so this kingdom was born from that betrayal. But the memories of that ancient light still lingered, hush whispers of faith... Until all of Hallownest began to dream of that forgotten light.

Again from context, (and using the dream nail on posessed enemies helps clarify this), it's not so much that the Radiance truly created the moths as that they were its slaves. "basking in the light" means being possessed and controlled by it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

There's a quote I can't locate now, but it specifically says The Wyrm enslaves bugkind. What that means isn't exactly clear, because we know that the Radiance also enslaves bugkind, in a seemingly much more obvious sense.

It's Mr Mushroom's dream nail dialogue (which owns btw) that describes the Wyrm as putting bugs in thrall. I mean, the Wyrm straight up created a kingdom and put himself in charge of it. The kingdom had at least two of the three estates, a fourth estate of soulless darkness entities, and an actual slave caste, and he was the boss. Sure he didn't straight up puppet brainwashed zombugs around, but he definitely held total power over Hallownest.

There are a few other things that I thought were weird. First off all, when [spoiler]The Dreamers cast you into the dream upon inspecting their grave/monument, it is a moth that guides you to the Dream Nail. Now this could be the Seer (manifesting in the dream), The Radiance, or just a general symbol of moths (who seem to be connected to the dream more than other bugs).

Has to be the Seer, the Radiance has no reason whatever to help you find the dream nail. And I mean, she physically collects your body while you're dreaming and takes it home.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Relevant lines from Bardoon:
For quiet retreat did I climb up here, away from spitting creatures. Ormmph... Yes. High up. Away from simple minds, lost to light.
Theirs is a different kind of unity. Rejection of the Wyrm's attempt at order.
I resist the light's allure. Union it may offer, but also a mind bereft of thought... To instinct alone a bug is reduced...Hrrm...

Who are the other people our fungal friend is speaking to?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 1, 2017

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Who are the other people our fungal friend is speaking to?

some of his mushroom friends, I guess. They got kids and warriors and ogres, so they got some sorta structure.

Also Hallownest's Crown, on top of the Crystal Peak, could be a moth village or something? Definitely have that big Radiance statue which says 'Remember... Light...' when you nail it. But is there a Radiance/Crystal connection? Various NPCs talk about the crystals having light and a source of heat inside them, as well as whispers and dreams. Myla (the mining bug) certainly got all radiance'd up, but could just be from being in the Crossroads. otoh, Hallownest seemed to mine and use them for all sorts of stuff, including as energy.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I wonder if they're actually seeing anything or if they've just been entranced and are just 'seeing' the Light.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Seer dialogue

I agree that a lot of dialogue is unreliable, but "The folk of my tribe were born from a light" is a pretty unambiguous statement.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The statement is ambiguous when the source is unreliable. What do moths do with light?

Ambivalent posted:

some of his mushroom friends, I guess. They got kids and warriors and ogres, so they got some sorta structure.

Also Hallownest's Crown, on top of the Crystal Peak, could be a moth village or something? Definitely have that big Radiance statue which says 'Remember... Light...' when you nail it. But is there a Radiance/Crystal connection? Various NPCs talk about the crystals having light and a source of heat inside them, as well as whispers and dreams. Myla (the mining bug) certainly got all radiance'd up, but could just be from being in the Crossroads. otoh, Hallownest seemed to mine and use them for all sorts of stuff, including as energy.

Radiance infiltrates and consumes everyone through their personal desires and weaknesses. For the miners, it's the crystals, for the soul institute people, it's souls, for the maggot it's protecting its peers.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

The statement is ambiguous when the source is unreliable. What do moths do with light?

What reason is there to believe the seer is lying to you here? He hardly has anything to gain from that. Also note that line is from a bit of bonus dialog you get from getting 2400 essence, it's not a throw-a-way line but backstory that you get as a reward for maxing out on essence.

Also it should be pointed out The radiance itself is very moth like, and given how self-centered and vain it is, it makes sense that the species it created would look very similiar to it which corroborates the seer's story.

Also about the hornet thing mentioned a while earlier

Hornet was not a countermeasure against the radiance. She was a bargaining chip. Herrah would only become a dreamer if the pale king gave her a child. Hornet was the child in that bargain. She's likely a construct, but there's a lot we don't know about her. I imagine we'll get a lot more of her story soon when they release her campaign.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 1, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The seer still buys into what the Radiance is selling. he/she still sees its influence as "worship".

...we need dream nail messages from more of the enemies and bosses, but they're a pain to get.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 1, 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

The seer still buys into what the Radiance is selling. he/she still sees its influence as "worship".

Surely an entity that can seep into everyone's dreams and create something as powerful as the infection is powerful enough to create moths. If she's powerful enough to do so, and the moth in charge of keeping the memories/histories of their tribe says that she did, and they also look like they might have come from her because they also look a lot like her, then I think it's safe to conclude that she did make the moths. I don't know how it would serve the narrative for all of that to be a misdirection.

Like whether the radiance or the pale king are truly gods, or just very powerful entities that wanted to be worshiped like gods doesn't really matter does it? They are still very powerful entities that have massively shaped life in hallownest at a very fundamental level.

On the note of dream nail messages, there was one that I think was in one of the betas or something and eventually was removed but it was kinda interesting.
The hollow knight (the one you fight) had a dream nail text that went along the lines of: " Father..." . So maybe it was supposed to be a hint of the idea that ruined the first vessel? Your guess is as good as mine.
It was taken out so not canon but might be worth mentioning if you can get some fun theories out of it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Vox, you are making a ton of assumptions with no actual in-game evidence to support them.

Discendo Vox posted:

If you're referring to light such a fire or artificial sources, moths aren't enthralled by it, they're trying to get behind it because they use natural light from the moon and stars as navigation, and bright external light fucks that up. And what evidence is there to suggest the Seer is infected, or still worshipping the Radiance? Literally everything she does, saving you from The Dream, guiding you to the Dream Nail, telling you to collect Essence, and powering up the Dream Nail, all lead to you containing or destroying the Radiance. Nothing she does even remotely benefits it. When talking about her ancestors, who were created by and worshiped the Radiance, she always says "they" and not "we", so it's unlikely she even existed when the worship was still common.

Discendo Vox posted:

Radiance infiltrates and consumes everyone through their personal desires and weaknesses. For the miners, it's the crystals, for the soul institute people, it's souls, for the maggot it's protecting its peers.

Any in-game support for that at all? The only thing the game says is that the bugs fall into a deep sleep, dream of a light, and wake up with the infection. Soul Master's journal entry even says "The bugs of Hallownest tried all kinds of tricks and rituals and prayers to rid themselves of the Infection. But to no avail!", implying the infection came first and their use of the soul was one of their attempted remedies for it.

Discendo Vox posted:

Where does he say that? It's not in any of her dialogue. The closest she says is [My ancestors] were content to bask in that light and honoured it...for a time". She never says anything about her own beliefs, or even that the moths worshiped it as a god, just that they honored it.

I will float and alternate, and totally unsupported theory, that makes our the Seer to be a Secret Agent of the Radiance or something, which sort of agrees with what Vox is arguing.

The Radiance is not a god, it's just literally light. Sentient light, though. It created bugs (and everything else) in the same way light from the sun birthed all life on our own planet. Moths were created early on and had more sapience than other bugs for whatever reason. The opposite of the Light was the Dark (The Void), which was also somewhat sentient. At some point, a great Wyrm died and came back as a godlike bug, the Pale King. Knowing that the Void was antithetical to the light, he experimented with it until he found a way to smother the light by trapping it within a Void being. I feel like the Void is just the other side of the coin to the Radiance, and they're obviously at odds since when you Dream Nail the Radiance he says

"ANCIENT ENEMY
I DO NOT FEAR YOU
THE LIGHT CANNOT BE CONSUMED
LET ME BE FREE
DAWN WILL BREAK
I WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN"

Since at the time the moths were the only really sapient ones he cut a deal with them to turn their back on the Radiance for his own off-brand Pale Light, and they did for whatever reason. With the Radiance sealed away inside the Black Egg, he used his power to give the lower-level bugs sapience, as the Radiance did for moths, and built his civilization. However poo poo started to go south and that's where the game starts.

If you look at the Seer's dialogue he talks about how his ancestors were idiots for their betrayal. But he doesn't really specify why. He could mean that they're stupid because the Radiance created them and loved them, he could mean that it was stupid because they should have known that you can't just forget about the Radiance and that this infection would happen, or he could mean that it's stupid because trying to destroy light is just a pointless and impossible task. Perhaps the Radiance isn't actually a vengeful god, it's just a force of nature, like a physical law of the universe, and denying it exists fucks everything up.

Given that the Radiance calls the Main Character "ancient enemy", we can assume this fight has been going on for a long rear end time. Maybe every civilization is just the Radiance/Wyrm/Void using bugs to try and gain the upper hand on each other.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I don't think the idea that radiance created bug kind is ever implied. The seer only that radiance created the folk of her tribe, and it would be really odd to be so specific if radiance created all bugs in general. More importantly, there are other bug civilizations that don't have anything to do with hollownest, so that works against that theory as well.

It's also worth noting that the infection is said to "reduce" bugs to base instinct, not "return" them to it, so it's unclear what the "natural" state of a bug is.

Unrelated, I think that the idea that our hollow knight was a "perfect vessel" and could permanently contain the infection is flawed, and perhaps and intentional case of an NPC being wrong about something. Our hollow knight spends a lot of time doing things that don't really make sense for a completely mindless entity to be doing, like delivering flowers or saving zote repeatedly. I think that's why sealing the infection is the bad ending - our hollow knight IS tarnished by idea, so the seal wouldn't last. More importantly (and at this point I'm in pure speculation territory), it's possible that any hollow knight that tried to seal the infection would become tarnished by idea simply through the process of overcoming the necessary trials - the experience would change them. That's why it was necessary to destroy Radiance directly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Most NPC bosses discuss being led to the actions that cause their death by either delusions, or by prophetic dreams. Soul Tyrant discusses being led to the whole soul thing by a dream. Xero talks about being inspired to take up arms against the king in a dream that told him attacking would stop the infection. Infected low-level enemies think they are dreaming as they attack you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So here's a question I have; everyone says Herrah made the bargain with the King because she wanted a child which would be hornet. But, doesn't she already have an entire family of spiders skittering about Deepnest? It certainly seems like they are her children, as she refers to them as her brood.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Midwife implies that the spiders lost the ability to reproduce.

quote:

Would you hear about myself? There's not much to say. I'm a servant to the nest, though few in recent times would seek my service. Our brood is lost to that pestilence of the mind. A sad fall for the most intelligent species.

e: it's interesting that the King felt he had to bargain with Herrah though. I guess she was not to be hosed with, since I don't recall that he had to offer Lurien or Monomon anything.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Maybe he thought it would make it harder to break the seals if one of the Dreamers was all the way in Deepnest.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I don't really think that quote says the spiders can't reproduce unless that's a side effect of being corrupted by the radiance or something

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

skasion posted:

Midwife implies that the spiders lost the ability to reproduce.

The fuuuuuuuuuck I can't believer there's another thing I completely missed in this game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

So It Goes posted:

I don't really think that quote says the spiders can't reproduce unless that's a side effect of being corrupted by the radiance or something

A midwife's service is to deliver children, or for a spider midwife I guess to help hatch hosed up spider eggs or something. If nobody is seeking the midwife's service, it implies nobody is breeding. She follows this statement up by implying that the reason the bugs of Deepnest do not seem to be in any mood to breed is because they are all shambling around mindlessly dreaming of light instead. So yeah, I'd say that's exactly what that quote says.

Internet Kraken posted:

The fuuuuuuuuuck I can't believer there's another thing I completely missed in this game.

Yeah this game has a really impressive amount going on. I have like 60 hours in it at this point and I only just discovered that there's a hidden-ish passage from Fungal Wastes to Queen's Gardens with a trap floor that dumps you straight into Deepnest and a moss man preaching a sermon about the Radiance.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Midwife indicates the spiders stopped reproducing because they were infected by the Radiance:

"Would you hear about myself? There's not much to say. I'm a servant to the nest, though few in recent times would seek my service. Our brood is lost to that pestilence of the mind. A sad fall for the most intelligent species."

Given that the deepnest used to be a functional part of the civilization (with a tram station and all), one possibility is that the Radiance reduced them to insane hunger. If so, this would seem to have happened after Hornet was created. Using the dream nail on spider enemies might provide some amount of clarification.

The Midwife talks about Herrah having both herself and the brood sacrifice something in exchange for Hornet, there's no indication that it's reproduction, or that the sacrifice the brood made was losing themselves to the Radiance.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I thought it was reasonably clear that what Herrah sacrificed was her waking life, and thus any hope of helping the spider people out of their craziness. She agreed to go into the dream and become a seal because the Pale King offered to give her a child, which she could no longer have the normal way because her entire people had been infected by the plague.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

skasion posted:

I thought it was reasonably clear that what Herrah sacrificed was her waking life, and thus any hope of helping the spider people out of their craziness. She agreed to go into the dream and become a seal because the Pale King offered to give her a child, which she could no longer have the normal way because her entire people had been infected by the plague.

Yeah, the deal was Herrah would become a dreamer in exchange for a child. Being a dreamer basically meant the spiders of deepnest were without a leader which is a pretty big sacrifice for a community in a time of crisis. Though I'm not sure all the spiders ended up becoming mindless.

You have those "friends" who kindly invite you to take a seat. Since those who are infected don't seem to be the types to take the time to talk to you nor have the wits to try to trap you, I wonder what their deal was. Maybe they were just hungry? Man though, Deepnest is really cool but I wish more stuff was fleshed out there. That huge city with only like two buildings to explore was kinda a let down.

Also I'm not sure what we should be spoilering and what shouldn't be at this point.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Herrah wanting a child because all the spiders are infected doesn't make sense.

This would mean that Herrah's sacrifice was made after all the spiders went crazy. However, Hornet was cared by them for a time. She even has a room in the Weaver's Den. So they couldn't all of been crazy when Herrah made her deal with the King, cause then there would be nobody to care for Hornet.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

JuniperCake posted:

You have those "friends" who kindly invite you to take a seat. Since those who are infected don't seem to be the types to take the time to talk to you nor have the wits to try to trap you, I wonder what their deal was. Maybe they were just hungry? Man though, Deepnest is really cool but I wish more stuff was fleshed out there. That huge city with only like two buildings to explore was kinda a let down.

I'd have to play those scenes again but I'm pretty sure those are all like, puppeted husks and not actually living bugs.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

skasion posted:

Yeah this game has a really impressive amount going on. I have like 60 hours in it at this point and I only just discovered that there's a hidden-ish passage from Fungal Wastes to Queen's Gardens with a trap floor that dumps you straight into Deepnest and a moss man preaching a sermon about the Radiance.

I had to look this up since I thought I knew what you were talking about except the moss men I found in the building were already dead by the time I got there. Guess I missed the sermon :(

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ambivalent posted:

I'd have to play those scenes again but I'm pretty sure those are all like, puppeted husks and not actually living bugs.

I think you're right but a puppet has to be puppeted by something. I figure they just had small spiders inside just like the corpse walkers in middle deepnest. Seems like something a spider would do since they're a pretty creepy bunch even when not infected. Just look at the midwife. They also web you up in their creepy little spider house too. Though I suppose the moss prophet was able to preach while infected, so maybe these infected spiders are just able to talk. Even though that kind seems unusual given the behavior of the other infected bugs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The infection doesn't completely destroy the minds of every bug. Stronger minds seem to retain more than just their base instincts. The learned bugs of the soul sanctum appear to have retained a great deal of intelligence. Unlike almost every bug their thoughts when you dream nail them are very clear. The traitor mantis also appeared to have willingly sought out the infection for strength, which wouldn't make sense if it completely destroyed their minds. The main thing is that it forces complete unity, so you lose most of your individuality.

...granted that doesn't really explain why a pudgy little preacher would retain more than its base instincts since I wouldn't call it mentally strong.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I feel like the madness is a side-effect of resisting the influence, not something that is innate to worshiping/acknowledging the Radiance. There isn't really any evidence that supports the idea that the Radiance is a megalomaniac who demands every being worships her exclusively, she just seems to not want to be locked away and forgotten. We don't really have any evidence of what life was like before the Pale King, but we do know there were civilizations before him, so maybe things weren't that bad and he has just played it up to justify his usurpation of the throne. The Infection seems more like a side of effect of trying to deny that The Radiance exists, and not specifically a malicious act by the Radiance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

I feel like the madness is a side-effect of resisting the influence, not something that is innate to worshiping/acknowledging the Radiance. There isn't really any evidence that supports the idea that the Radiance is a megalomaniac who demands every being worships her exclusively, she just seems to not want to be locked away and forgotten. We don't really have any evidence of what life was like before the Pale King, but we do know there were civilizations before him, so maybe things weren't that bad and he has just played it up to justify his usurpation of the throne. The Infection seems more like a side of effect of trying to deny that The Radiance exists, and not specifically a malicious act by the Radiance.

It's really hard to argue that the infection is not malicious when you see what it did to her prophet and his followers. They certainly were not resisting the infection at all. End stage of infection is death and she does not even spare the bugs that seem likely to become loyal to her.

The infection did not start because she was sealed, the infection started after people turned away from her based on the Seer's dialog. Also it makes no sense that people would seal away a forgotten god or whatever she is, because she was forgotten at the time.

The sealing was an attempt to stop the infection, not the cause. Like the Wyrm could very well be a jerk, but I think it's really hard to defend an interpretation that the radiance was just misunderstood and did not mean to try to destroy all of hallownest. That's clearly her intent. Someone who would destroy an entire civilization and every living being that belongs to it because they were not being paid the remembrance they think they deserve is in fact a megalomaniac.

It's possible too that this wasn't the first civilization she destroyed either. We still don't know what happened to that void worshiping civilization that you find remnants of in the Abyss. The void is her ancient enemy so it's possible she killed them too.