Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
1 in every 4 posters is drunk, its a fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

The part where Hamill is like, "You're my nephew, I probably bounced you on my knee. We're both Skywalkers. Let's get lunch some time."

"no"

made me all :smith:

It would be kinda cool if Driver did go to lunch with Hamil and ended up betraying him somehow to get in character. Like he keys his car or ditches him in the bad part of town to get mugged.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Yaws posted:

It would be kinda cool if Driver did go to lunch with Hamil and ended up betraying him somehow to get in character. Like he keys his car or ditches him in the bad part of town to get mugged.

No, that wouldn't be cool.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yaws posted:

Lawrence Kasdan: "Driver, we already killed off Han Solo and now Carrie Fisher is dead. If something happens to Mark, so help me God, your ears are not going to be sticking out that far after I'm done with them."

edit:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Laurence Olivier was right about how dumb the Method is.

Given what we know about Obi Wan now, maybe Alec Guiness was method acting when he told that kid to never watch Star Wars again.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 30, 2017

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

The_Doctor posted:

You know what it's like when you're in a hurry in the morning. You just grab clothes off the floor that fit. Yours, his, it's all good.

But yeah, he's literally wearing Poe's shirt as well as his jacket.

https://twitter.com/osccarisaac/status/866968440002682880

I'm gonna assume this is a spaceman pilot standard issue outfit.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Rough Lobster posted:

Nah they're banging. In the morning it's just a "pick up whoever's clothes you find on the floor" type of situation

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I liked the part where Jar Jar impregnated princess leia and they had jar jar babies

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Wrong princess, friend, Jar Jar's love triangle is with Leia's mother.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ungulateman posted:

Wrong princess, friend, Jar Jar's love triangle is with Leia's mother.

As in Twilight, Jar Jar (the loser in the triangle) soul-bonded with the unborn Leia.

Read your EU, idiot.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

even if that's true in-universe the filmmaker's still made it a choice for finn to wear poe's outfit

whether that's because they're banging or because the former stormtrooper feels comfortable wearing the same thing as someone he wants to emulate is up in the air until TLJ though

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
We are not going to get onscreen confirmation that Poe and Finn banging, but the viewer is free to assume this if it enriches his or her viewing experience.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

sassassin posted:

As in Twilight, Jar Jar (the loser in the triangle) soul-bonded with the unborn Leia.

Read your EU, idiot.

more like as in Being John Malkovich

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Given what we know about Obi Wan now, maybe Alec Guiness was method acting when he told that kid to never watch Star Wars again.

I enjoyed this comment and it made me laugh.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I was watching A New Hope the other day and started wondering if Luke is the only character who refers to droids as robots. And if robot is a slur.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The latest Vanity Fair photos, and the bit about Lucas revealing the Phantom Menace, inspired me to dig up the prequel era ones. If someone could find the Attack of the Clones one, it'd be much appreciated. Choice quotes from 1999 and 2005, nothing too revelatory at this point but still interesting:

TPM http://www.vanityfair.com/news/1999/02/star-wars

quote:

“Palpatine is a wonderful guy in this movie,” Lucas says.

quote:

“You see the government at work, you see the Senate,” says Lucas, adding cryptically, “You also see the demise of the Old Republic. It happens in this film, but you don’t know it.”

quote:

“It’s a good movie,” he says. “Reminiscent of the old films, but very different.”

ROTS http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2005/02/star-wars-george-lucas-story

quote:

“The interesting thing about Star Wars—and I didn’t ever really push this very far, because it’s not really that important—but there’s a lot going on there that most people haven’t come to grips with yet. But when they do, they will find it’s a much more intricately made clock than most people would imagine.” It certainly isn’t far-fetched to think that people will still be grappling with even the least-well-received film in the series, which is probably The Phantom Menace, long after something more obviously tasteful and character-driven, such as Anthony Minghella’s The English Patient, is forgotten.

quote:

The original trilogy (the Luke and Leia movies) seems like a comedic folk story, while the second (the Anakin movies) has a feeling closer to that of a 19th-century novel, with its overlapping, ambitious characters jostling for space in a narrative rife with duels, political intrigue, and young people falling in forbidden love.

“I couldn’t have that same tonality in the father’s trilogy that I did in the children’s trilogy,” Lucas says. “The thing about children is, they’re exuberant, they’re naïve. You know, they’re funny. But fathers, especially fathers going down the wrong path—it’s a much more somber reality.”

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
‘Star Wars’ may be good fun, but leave your brains home

George Lucas’ “Star Wars,” his first movie since “American Graffiti,” is obviously the film phenomenon of the year, judging by the crowds it’s attracting at the St. Louis Park theater. It even packed them in at 11 a.m. last Sunday, which is an ungodly hour to see a movie. Clearly it’s the “Jaws” and “Exorcist” of 1977.

But is it also the best film of the year? Time magazine has already awarded it that accolade without bothering to check out the competition. If Time’s editors are so confident of premature judgments, why don’t they also select their Man of the Year now, instead of waiting till December?

I certainly don’t think it’s the best film of the year, or the month, for that matter (it ranks well behind “Annie Hall” and “Jonah” in my May rankings). It does have some gorgeous special effects and an amusing plot, if you like comic strips. There’s also a certain fun in spotting all the sources from which the eclectic Lucas has drawn his material.

It’s got some Flash Gordon, of course, but there’s also a good hunk of “The Wizard of Oz,” with a gold, English-speaking version of the Tin Woodsman and an apish version of the Cowardly Lion looking for that Yellow Brick Road in the sky, and a tribe of Sand People that sounds suspiciously like Munchkins. [Editor's Note: Yes, Jawas.]

Not to mention the Arthurian legends—the golden-haired, untested squire tilting lances with the Black Knight, who turns out to be a heavy-breathing warrior who sounds like the wrong end of an obscene phone call.

Most of Lucas’ dialogue sounds as if he’d lifted it unaltered from World War II John Wayne movies. “This is it, boys!” says the squadron commander as he prepares to attack the space station, followed by “Cover me!” (Sorry about all of those exclamation points, but this is a comic strip, so every sentence, no matter how innocuous, must end with an exclamation!)

The film also contains an ear-splitting amount of gunfire, none of which hits the outnumbered good guys. There’s a cornball story interred somewhere in the mish-mash—something about an interplanetary rebellion, a kidnapped princess (more of a take-charge type than we’re accustomed to in costumed epics) and the attempt to recover some secret plans. Your kids will love it, and you may too. But leave your brains at home.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Dude just turn your brain off and have fun.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I can't find any record of a "Jonah" movie from 1977.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Best movie of 1977.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

UmOk posted:

Best movie of 1977.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

A good pick. Eraserhead is my own for 1977.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The correct answer is actually Suspiria.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Raxivace posted:

A good pick. Eraserhead is my own for 1977.

for sure no doubt

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

it was stanley kubricks too

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

and george lucas must've liked it given that he wanted lynch on rotj

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Damnation Alley was better

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Basebf555 posted:

The correct answer is actually Suspiria.

Best soundtrack for sure.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The attempt to rescue Han from Jabba makes no sense at all. Why does Luke send C-3PO and R2D2 in as the first wave, knowing that they're likely to fail anyway (hence his giving R2 his lightsaber)? Also if he was willing to be aggressive enough to force pull a blaster to himself right before falling into the rancor pit, he probably would've been better off just keeping the lightsaber on him.

I don't want to turn this into a dumb tactical realism thing but that whole plan just seemed hairbrained and dumb.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

The attempt to rescue Han from Jabba makes no sense at all. Why does Luke send C-3PO and R2D2 in as the first wave, knowing that they're likely to fail anyway (hence his giving R2 his lightsaber)? Also if he was willing to be aggressive enough to force pull a blaster to himself right before falling into the rancor pit, he probably would've been better off just keeping the lightsaber on him.

I don't want to turn this into a dumb tactical realism thing but that whole plan just seemed hairbrained and dumb.

Star Warls is full of dumb plans.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Skywalkers are inherently drama queens.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!

Instant Sunrise posted:

Skywalkers are inherently drama queens.

i believe the phrase is "force sensitive"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I know I'm late to the 'weird criticisms of the prequels' discussion, but does anyone remember Maddox? It's fine if you don't. He only had a brief flirtation with the cultural zeitgeist, but he had a really dedicated following for quite some time. I used to read his site, and I distinctly remember his review of Episode 3. In it, he cites the fact that Anakin turns to the Dark Side to protect Padme only to lose her as a result of it as a plot hole, as opposed to a quite deliberate piece of dramatic irony.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowman_McK posted:

I know I'm late to the 'weird criticisms of the prequels' discussion, but does anyone remember Maddox? It's fine if you don't. He only had a brief flirtation with the cultural zeitgeist, but he had a really dedicated following for quite some time. I used to read his site, and I distinctly remember his review of Episode 3. In it, he cites the fact that Anakin turns to the Dark Side to protect Padme only to lose her as a result of it as a plot hole, as opposed to a quite deliberate piece of dramatic irony.

He's still around on Youtube apparently. He's very nasally.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

He's still around on Youtube apparently. He's very nasally.

I was surprised by his voice, but then his hyper-masculine bullshit writing persona made a lot more sense.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I am very upset that I just read this:

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=hire_women

I am also very upset that you have retrieved this man from the deepest recesses of my memory, and now I have to examine how lovely and dumb I was in my teenage years. On topic here's his Episode III review (sorry): http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=episode3

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 1, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh, no.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

you ever just see part of a URL and know not to click it

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I was definitely a dweeb yelling internet jokes and printing out Maddox pages in high school. If we can't forgive ourselves how can we forgive each other?
--
Oh! Star Wars thread. Here is my new watching order:
E1
E2
E3
Rogue One
E4
E5
E6
E7
All in a row and sync up the viewing time so as soon as E7 ends on my phone+earphones I'll look up from my cinema seat to see
E8

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Even the prequel trilogy is amazing compared to Maddox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I remember Chefelf sort of being a definitive figure in prequel criticism in the early 2000s, he came up with these bulleted lists of like 90 complaints about each prequel, covered a lot of the same ground RLM did later on

• Locked thread