Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.champcarstats.com/atlantic/year/1989e.htm

King Hiro technically beat him when he won races in the Atlantic/Pacific Series in 1989 at Long Beach. (SCCA sanctioned, but I still count it)

Roger Yasukawa also won a race in the Atlantics in 2002 at Milwaukee.

Yasukawa is a Japanese-American. Hideki Mutoh also won an Indy Lights race in 2007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXsXP3WBrns&t=357s

Proof of King Hiro winning at Long Beach

He beat Jeff Andretti, Mark Dismore and Scott Goodyear as other notables

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Here's my gallery of my best pics of the Indy 500 weekend

Also, this is a good article about the media reaction to Sato San winning the 500

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 31, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Oh cool you took the Nando sparks pic! Quality stuff.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Eh,

I'm going to post this here rather than the sports broadcasting. But one of my pet peeves about ESPN covering the sport in the post-Paul Page, Post-Danica era is the the shere lack of effort on their part to cover the sport.

It's not that ESPN/ABC does a bad job actually producing the 500 broadcast. In fact I really like some of the technology that was used, the statistics team they hired and Bestwick himself is very Jim McKay-like. But it feels like the momentum of a great race and great production value die within minutes of the race leaving the air.

Sportscenter for example routinely fumbles in covering the race or the lead up to it. I watched the night of the race wanting to see highlights of the race, and if they'd give two shits about it. What I got was 2 minutes of highlights, shrugged shoulders and ESPN covering Cubs-Dodgers like it was the NLCS. (A game that they didn't even broadcast). The Coke 600 got some love and for some reason Austin Dillon got rewarded as a "star" for his efforts, The Monaco GP may as well have been in some distant galaxy.

I mean you could go "well ratings", and that's fine perhaps. But 300k were at that track. That's pretty significant. Not to mention a two time world champion making headlines and quite a few other stories you could dig through to cover the drat thing.

I think this is why the series needs to go to NBC full time or split the rights between them and Fox even. Both of those networks at least seem to promote and offer better platforms than what ESPN is currently providing.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

It's better to watch ESPN fumble into irrelevance than put logic behind their actions/decisions.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Norns posted:

Oh cool you took the Nando sparks pic! Quality stuff.

Yeah I didn't even realize the gold I had taken until hours later when I was processing the pics from Carb Day Practice. Some nerd was taking pics near me, I wonder how those turned out :iiam:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Eh,

I'm going to post this here rather than the sports broadcasting. But one of my pet peeves about ESPN covering the sport in the post-Paul Page, Post-Danica era is the the shere lack of effort on their part to cover the sport.

the sport no longer has anyone in upper management who thinks it's worthwhile to invest the time/effort into. Lower your expectations and realize this is a wildly different era to before.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

As someone who only casually followed Indy in the Danica years, why did she get such big exposure as opposed to say, Sarah Fisher or Pippa Mann?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

harperdc posted:

the sport no longer has anyone in upper management who thinks it's worthwhile to invest the time/effort into. Lower your expectations and realize this is a wildly different era to before.

NBCSN acts like they give a poo poo.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Theris posted:

NBCSN acts like they give a poo poo.

...at ESPN/ABC. Because that's in response to the ESPN coverage, both on the day and discussing on any other sports news.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

As someone who only casually followed Indy in the Danica years, why did she get such big exposure as opposed to say, Sarah Fisher or Pippa Mann?

Played the "Attractive Female" card by starring in "TOO HOT FOR TV" Godaddy commercials.

She's also the only female driver to have won a top-tier race, even if it was a fuel mileage win at Motegi when part of the field was in Long Beach for the last CCWS race. Even outside of that she was 4th in her first 500, six podiums, and 5th in points in 2009. Not exactly legend material, but far better than the historical stats for women in Indycar. Janet Guthrie is the only other woman to ever finish in the top 10 at Indy, with her 9th place in 1978.

Thing I just learned: Pippa Mann, despite a win and 5th in points in Lights in 2010, has never raced an Indycar on a road course. All of her ICS starts have been on ovals.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
Danica led at Indy her first year. She was always much more competitive than Mann.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Danica was on better teams too, I don't think Fisher/Legge/Mann ever really had good equipment. Although Fisher had a pole at Kentucky iirc, so I might be underestimating her team.

e: Simona should've gotten more attention than she did but she wasn't American and hot I guess

e2: I somehow forgot that Danica did SI swimsuit and Maxim, that probably had something to do with it too

Lord Crapulus fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 31, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No doubt about it, every ride she had in Indycar was better than every ride every other woman had before / during / since her run.

Simona was/is infinitely more badass.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I miss Bia and Simona every day

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Danica Patrick has one IndyCar win.

Marco Andretti has two.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Lord Crapulus posted:

Simona wasn't hot I guess

*leans into mic*

WRONG

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

IOwnCalculus posted:

No doubt about it, every ride she had in Indycar was better than every ride every other woman had before / during / since her run.

Simona was/is infinitely more badass.
She had a few flashes of what she could do, but overall I feel like she always got saddled with poor equipment, even after she escaped from the HVM Lotus.

*edit*
And of course, plenty of respect for her after qualifying with her burnt hands in 2011.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 1, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Katherine Legge has been doing really well in sportscars the last few years, too. But usual case of right place wrong time.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
Legge nearly won the "worst wreck by a female in top tier motorsports" award but Lyn St. James still holds that record

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I imagine shes still angling for Shank's full time program next year if it happens.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Motorsport is always going to have people who missed rides they deserved and people who got rides undeserved.

The money spent per hour of practice is absolutely insane among sports, and that's always going to cause poo poo to be weird.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Uncle Jam posted:

Motorsport is always going to have people who missed rides they deserved and people who got rides undeserved.

The money spent per hour of practice is absolutely insane among sports, and that's always going to cause poo poo to be weird.

And this is what annoys me about people whining about "F1 rejects in Indy". How many of those people were able to get on a team like Red Bull, Mercedes, Ferrari, Williams, or McLaren and have a full time Indy ride?

One, JPM, and if you count Bourdais's time at Toro Rosso as such, two.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota

VikingSkull posted:

Legge nearly won the "worst wreck by a female in top tier motorsports" award but Lyn St. James still holds that record

I know Legge's (which was loving HORRIFYING), what was St. James?

Bentai posted:

She had a few flashes of what she could do, but overall I feel like she always got saddled with poor equipment, even after she escaped from the HVM Lotus.

*edit*
And of course, plenty of respect for her after qualifying with her burnt hands in 2011.

I was a Simona fan since my company was working with Newman Wachs (her team in Atlantics) in '08, I'm disappointed she never got a real shot in Indycar.

Lord Crapulus fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 1, 2017

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I think almost getting burned to death at TMS and her hard crash at Indy kinda scared Simona off of ovals, and she was never the same on ovals since then, which is a shame. Hope she does well in Supercars. I think Katherine Legge is hugely underrated. That time in 2013 she climbed into a car at the last moment and qualified for Indy was hugely impressive. I hope she gets another shot at IndyCar.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I want to see Legge and Neilsen and Moutton (in her prime) slug it out in a three way race.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

new thread title warms the cockles of my heart

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Lord Crapulus posted:

I know Legge's (which was loving HORRIFYING), what was St. James?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIb5zAofX1k

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Your avatar :eyepoop:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
doing my part to keep the forums running

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

doing my part to keep the forums running

Is that that one guy who tries to troll me in C-SPAM or a different guy?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
it's hard to say, they all blend together

in any case I'd wager I'll have another Silent Majority one in a few days, poo poo's hilarious though

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

That was some pro marshalling there though, that one dude put out a giant fire with a portable extinguisher.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One of my friends who is primarily NASCAR was greatly impressed with the response times for the Indy safety team this weekend.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

This is the up next video :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIdGGjMhL4M

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

GTP/Group C might have been the peak of "cars that are way too fast for how safe they are." At least in post-seatbelt times, anyway.

Edit: Group B rally is probably in the running for that title, too.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

iospace posted:

One of my friends who is primarily NASCAR was greatly impressed with the response times for the Indy safety team this weekend.

They're usually pretty good with their response time. Other than Simona's Texas crash and Dario's other part of Texas crash.

Edit - Like holy poo poo it takes them like 2 minutes to get to his car in the Houston Crash, which really is more of the tracks fault I'm assuming because Hey lets not but any safety worker area next to the fastest turn on the track.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

dentist toy box posted:

They're usually pretty good with their response time. Other than Simona's Texas crash and Dario's other part of Texas crash.

Edit - Like holy poo poo it takes them like 2 minutes to get to his car in the Houston Crash, which really is more of the tracks fault I'm assuming because Hey lets not but any safety worker area next to the fastest turn on the track.

Yeah, and in Dixon's crash this year, you can tell as soon as the cars "pass" by the safety station the trucks are already pulling out. They're there within 20 seconds. Hell, they got a little overzealous later and nearly ran into Veach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I can't wait to buy Takuma Sato's Indy Kamikaze Racing for my Panasonic FZ-10 R·E·A·L 3DO Interactive Multiplayer. I wonder if it runs on the game engine from Road & Track Presents: The Need For Speed. The FMVs should be good in any case.

Panasonic was just one of the licensed manufacturers of the 3DO Interactive Multiplayer, but they were also the only one that mattered so even though calling the system "Panasonic 3DO" is technically inaccurate, nobody cares. Well, it is the 3DO so nobody cares regardless, but you know what I mean.

• Locked thread