Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Beasteh posted:

I'm pulling both luckies because I am addicted to seeing 5* items pop up from the gacha

The RUSH

Never not pull!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
gently caress all these recent apoc fights. These aren't fun and the rewards are not worth the frustration.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

gently caress all these recent apoc fights. These aren't fun and the rewards are not worth the frustration.

What team are you running? I found the VIII to be mostly extremely long but fairly do-able. If you have Y'shtola Wall/Asylum, Tyro's USB, and a decent source of Debuffing, I have found that plus RW'ing a good DPS burst has been enough to comfortably beat all the A+ battles so far. But I think I rely almost too much on the USB, it's way better than I imagined.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

iamsosmrt posted:

What team are you running? I found the VIII to be mostly extremely long but fairly do-able. If you have Y'shtola Wall/Asylum, Tyro's USB, and a decent source of Debuffing, I have found that plus RW'ing a good DPS burst has been enough to comfortably beat all the A+ battles so far. But I think I rely almost too much on the USB, it's way better than I imagined.

I don't have a healer BSB, OK BSB, or any USB. I can run native wall and shout/mage-shout, so I'm not helpless, and I have some good BSB DPS options (zell, alphinaud, rapha, ashe, refia), but without the compact utility of a healer BSB or tyro USB I run out of utility slots for all the stuff I wanna bring.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Pander posted:

I don't have a healer BSB, OK BSB, or any USB. I can run native wall and shout/mage-shout, so I'm not helpless, and I have some good BSB DPS options (zell, alphinaud, rapha, ashe, refia), but without the compact utility of a healer BSB or tyro USB I run out of utility slots for all the stuff I wanna bring.

What are you using for RW? With native wall, mage shout and rafa I can't see any reason not to rw a healing burst. You might have to use it judiciously, since it won't cover the whole fight. Most of the aoe comes from the last half of the robot, the soldiers aren't too threatening if you go after them one at a time.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

High jump rewards are here plus apology mythril for entrust not working. Not the 50 mythril

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

It gave me enough mythril to pull on both banners but I'm gonna wait. My strongest elements are dark, holy and fire with lightning a distant 4th...I really need wind and ice but I don't think i should pull until the next fest.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Do RM relics eventually show up on fest banners?

I've been strongly tempted to change my habits to only pulling on fests and luckies, but some of the RMs look amazing and I think I heard they don't recur.

I've had terrible luck chasing, but between luckies and fests I've been able to keep up with content. Regular pulls seem less and less worth it.

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Same here. I mainly need USBs and LMs at this point.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

way to go steve posted:

What are you using for RW? With native wall, mage shout and rafa I can't see any reason not to rw a healing burst. You might have to use it judiciously, since it won't cover the whole fight. Most of the aoe comes from the last half of the robot, the soldiers aren't too threatening if you go after them one at a time.
Typically OK BSB to provide a boostga/hastega and dps option. I don't like bringing mage shouters because that's all I've got for them SB-wise (Krile and Pap). They kinda run out of things to do. I guess I could hone chain thundaga to R3. Problem is I also want to give them some utility like shellga or protectga, so eventually they run out of abilities and are kinda useless turds, so I try to postpone that by having them using CMD2 off OK BSB.

I have a ton of lightning options, but several of the best are physical (R2 lightning dive, R2 thundering twinstrike) and so if I go full mage I have to figure out how to get to and sustain bursts without running out of hones. That's R4 thundaja, R4 ixion, R5 ramuh, and R2 Chain Thundada, and nothing else.

Maybe...

Ashe (chain thundaga, something?), + vs weakness damage materia
Krile (ixion/ramuh), mako might
Rapha (thundaja, something?) battleforged
selphie (protectga/curaja) lionheart
tyro (shellga, R2 multibreak) dr. mogs

I don't feel like this is nearly enough mitigation though. Swap out ashe for mustadio (bismark+, Fullbreak/magicbreakdown, pentabreak SSB)?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I mean, this thing is supposed to be slightly weak to lightning and I stacked OK BSB and Shout, then activated Lightning's BSB2 and I was doing like 3k per hit, then after the extra imperil from that I was only doing like 2500 per hit on command 1. I had to stack 2 imperils and an armor break from Onion Slice just to get to 4k per hit. This fight is stupid bullshit.

And then the nerds pop out and it's a whole separate fight requiring debuff resets and they can straight-up kill you before you get those off because there are 3 of them and RNG can gently caress you.

And by then all your buffs are gone and your RWs are gone and it's an uphill battle against them. This isn't fun.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I wanna try for Raines and Ashe's BSBs so the Black Magic Lucky Draw banner is enough for me.

It's hard to want to pull on the White Magic banner when I'm rocking BSBs for Relm/Y'shtola/Vanille, plus Dreamstage for Selphie and Divine Heal for Rosa

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

I mean, this thing is supposed to be slightly weak to lightning and I stacked OK BSB and Shout, then activated Lightning's BSB2 and I was doing like 3k per hit, then after the extra imperil from that I was only doing like 2500 per hit on command 1. I had to stack 2 imperils and an armor break from Onion Slice just to get to 4k per hit. This fight is stupid bullshit.

And then the nerds pop out and it's a whole separate fight requiring debuff resets and they can straight-up kill you before you get those off because there are 3 of them and RNG can gently caress you.

And by then all your buffs are gone and your RWs are gone and it's an uphill battle against them. This isn't fun.
How much FF8 synergy do you have? And what sort is it? What buffs for attack or magic do you have natively? The primary reason I ended up switching from a physical team (which had continuing problems dealing damage quickly enough despite using Orleandeau's OSB and Kain's BSB) to a magic team (which mostly didn't care about the lightning weakness besides RW Rapha and R5 Syldra) was that my physical synergy was skewed towards weird stuff like fist weapons. This in turn meant that I had a harder time reaching the physical softcaps with that team, whereas I didn't have much of a problem in reaching the magic softcaps with all the buffs I could natively throw. (I could have grabbed RW OK BSB and used Ramza at the same time, but that would have entailed less freedom to choose something else for my RW and also meant that I'd have issues with my endurance when the two shots of the RW ran out. In contrast, I have four different magic buffs that I can throw natively to get everyone to the soft cap even without much synergy.)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KPC_Mammon posted:

Do RM relics eventually show up on fest banners?

I've been strongly tempted to change my habits to only pulling on fests and luckies, but some of the RMs look amazing and I think I heard they don't recur.

I've had terrible luck chasing, but between luckies and fests I've been able to keep up with content. Regular pulls seem less and less worth it.

Legend Materia Relics (which I think is what you're referring to) have recurred but only a couple of times. DeNA seems to be mostly concentrating on getting Legend Dives and LMRs out to as many characters per event as they can, rather than re-issuing old LMRs. I think eventually we can expect some recurrence, but it'll be a long ways out.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Pander posted:

Typically OK BSB to provide a boostga/hastega and dps option. I don't like bringing mage shouters because that's all I've got for them SB-wise (Krile and Pap). They kinda run out of things to do. I guess I could hone chain thundaga to R3. Problem is I also want to give them some utility like shellga or protectga, so eventually they run out of abilities and are kinda useless turds, so I try to postpone that by having them using CMD2 off OK BSB.

I have a ton of lightning options, but several of the best are physical (R2 lightning dive, R2 thundering twinstrike) and so if I go full mage I have to figure out how to get to and sustain bursts without running out of hones. That's R4 thundaja, R4 ixion, R5 ramuh, and R2 Chain Thundada, and nothing else.

Maybe...

Ashe (chain thundaga, something?), + vs weakness damage materia
Krile (ixion/ramuh), mako might
Rapha (thundaja, something?) battleforged
selphie (protectga/curaja) lionheart
tyro (shellga, R2 multibreak) dr. mogs

I don't feel like this is nearly enough mitigation though. Swap out ashe for mustadio (bismark+, Fullbreak/magicbreakdown, pentabreak SSB)?

It's tricky, because you'd rather have your mitigation skills on characters who can use bsb commands once they're up. Remember that rafa can carry 4star dances or proshellga. Ashe is unfortunately lacking in utility there.

Maybe something like:
Alph shellga/attack
Krile attack/attack (Dr Mogs)
Rapha magic dance/attack
Selphie protectga/cure
Tyro power dance/multi break (Mako)

If krile ran one of proshell (the bard versions) she would definitely want a high/max rank ability in her other slot to not run out of steam. Getting ashe in there would be nice, but you'd be looking at taking out one of krile/rafas attack slots. Might be worth it, there's a lot of off-healing there between her and rafa. And it seemed like there was enough aoe going on that maintaining gauge wasn't very difficult.

With krile and rafa you'd have two faithgas, rafa could hit the magic number of 3 with her cmd2. Porom bsb is a healing RW option that would provide a third faith. With tyro built for mnd maybe he could carry it if you need a dmg boost to get through. Faith capped mages do dirty things, and you would have a lot of healing going.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I finally beat the stupid apoc+ with the setup below. Fire resist accessories helped a ton and so did the lightning boost RM. That was seriously not fun and I mostly beat it out of spite. I mastered it too but if I hadn't I would not have bothered trying.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am disappointed that "bigger inventory" meant "you can spend more mythril expanding your inventory if you want"

Which I will probably be forced to do since I'm getting tired of constantly swapping things in and out of the vault.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Which I will probably be forced to do since I'm getting tired of constantly swapping things in and out of the vault.

This is always worth it imho.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i got squall's bsb2 and even if it wasn't strong as hell i think i'd love it just for being a bsb where the attack animation doesn't take forever

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Decided that the 15 mythril meant I should pull on celerity, which I had decided to skip:

4/11

Tyro USB
Tidus CSB
Edge BSB
Fran's lightning imperil

I already had Rikku and Yuffie's BSBs, so I can put together a pretty murder happy water team if I felt like it now, and I may do so. Ninja water murder seems like a fun concept, and I haven't gotten to play with a chain yet

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Always pull on Lucky banners.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MarcusSA posted:

Always pull on Lucky banners.

Never pull on Lucky banners.

Because I get jealous of everybody's sweet pulls when I blow a ton of mythril for Barrett gunarms, Red XIII combs, and Tyro books.

Actually I'm kind of on the fence about pulling. Do I pull for Squall/Irvine, or wait for the fest? Or roll the dice for Black Magic (or chase Yuna on White Magic?)

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Ouch

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
White Mage banner:

1/11 - Ceodore's BSB

Okay, that's not too bad.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Pulling on Black Magic because Always Pull...

1/11 Last Judgement Grimoire. I already have SG and USB so really useless.

Rage pulling on White Magic even though I wasn't gonna...

2/11 Larsa Hastega Medica and Larsa Proshellga + 30% barrier. Meh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lol....

Maybe I take that back.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Fusoya is a cool dude though and his SSB is at least an imperil + faithga

But ouch, yeah, I'm being reassured I should just sit on my mythril

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Black Magic: Ashe OSB (dupe), Serah BSB (dupe)
White Magic: Fusoya Robe (not a dupe), Minwu BSB (not a dupe)

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion
No dupes on either draw, which is going to be karmically awful for me come extreme fest, although at the rate we're going I won't have any mythril left for extreme fest anyway.

Black: Reynn BSB, Rinoa BSB, Echo SSB - not bad, Reynn seems kind of good actually.
White: Relm SSB, Eiko BSB, Eiko USB - toot toot

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
2 dupes and 2 new things but the new things aren't very good :/

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Black magic banner 3/11

Third Terra Blood Sword (gonna combine one now)
Reno BSB (physical burst on a mage banner of course)
Shantotto CSB!

I went from 0 lightning relics to a poo poo ton these past two months. I guess there's one magicite I'll be ready for.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Black Mage lucky is tempting, but way too much crap on it to risk drawing with god Cloud banner coming up along with Imperil lucky, BSB lucky, and fest. Mithril gonna be tight enough as it is.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I pulled on both because you should Always Be Pulling.

Black Magic 2/11: Dupe Rinoa OSB, Hope BSB
White Magic 4/11: Selphie USB, Aeris USB, Larsa SSB, Fusoya SSB

Black Magic was a tad bit disappointing but now I have every SB relic for Hope. White Magic pull owns though.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

gently caress it, did a white banner pull. 2/11.

Yuna USB (my 5th USB so far)
Ovelia magic blink SSB

Feeling ok with that. My synergy is slowly getting better in X, and that will go a long way for me.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Black : Kuja BSB (dupe), Vincent BSB, Exdeath SSB2

White: Yuna SSB1...

Not bad overall. Vincent BSB is the real prize for me (I'm drowning in fire+ armor now), but Kuja BSB is a decent dupe for a 6* dark+ weapon, and Exdeath is an okay Faithga option.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So I fired this up after a couple year break and I'm pretty lost. Sitting on 47 Mythril after cleaning out my box and wondering whether to keep going or restart given how outdated all my stuff is. (So many 11 pulls without a relic from before they made it guaranteed :cry: )

My relics:
Diamond Pin
Hunter's Rod
Golden Spear
Blood Lance
Murasame
Cobalt Katzbalger
Zantetsuken
Danjuro
6* Rune Axe+

Noble's Armguards
Sanctum Gloves
2x Gold Bangle
2x Regal Gown

I'm at 115 stamina and have roughly 35 characters between 50-65, nothing above as that was the cap when I quit.

On the upside I'm sure there's a TON of new content to get first clear Mythril from now.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
White: Beatrix OSB, Eiko BSB, Larsa SSB
Black: Keeper USB, Emperor BSB, Hope BSB2, FuSoYa SSB

I am extremely pleased.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Varance posted:

White: Beatrix OSB, Eiko BSB, Larsa SSB
Black: Keeper USB, Emperor BSB, Hope BSB2, FuSoYa SSB

I am extremely pleased.

Welcome to the Keeper USB club. I can honestly say it might be the best thing you pulled. It's made the hardest content so much easier.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I wanted Raines stuff, or something else, not this poo poo.

Angrily, I pulled on this banner I wasn't initially planning on

:fap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Black: Matoya SSB

White: Ceodore SSB, Arc SSB Robe (My 4th), and Yuna USB

• Locked thread