Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Critics have seen the finale. Screeners were sent out yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

HanabaL03 posted:

Critics have seen the finale. Screeners were sent out yesterday.

Sepinwall has shared his thoughts:

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/869658113997250560

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/869982743928688645

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

my body is ready (to transport to the lonely earth where Nora goes after using the machine)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The only benefit we have over Sepinwall, in terms of viewers, is that for us, the show is still going on.

For him, it's all done :smith:

Edit: also, two things I like about Alan Sepinwall is that he does great work, and he also gave up reviewing Sons of Anarchy. :smug:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 31, 2017

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheMattFowler/status/869974881315602432
https://twitter.com/TheEricGoldman/status/869961393067261952

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Soooo.... it's gonna gently caress me up like the Six Feet Under finale?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Not to get too LOSTy on you guys, but wtf is this nun's necklace from ep 301:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Africa with a cross?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
homer simpson, my dudes

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

God drat it. This is gonna hurt isn't it.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Looten Plunder posted:

The main one I listen to is on Post Show Recaps by Josh Wigler and Antonio Mazzaro of RHAP/Survivor fame.
http://postshowrecaps.com/category/the-leftovers-2/

I also recommend the Better Call Saul Podcast on that channel too if you are sick of the self congratulatory meanderings of the official one.

And then I just watch Chirs Hartwells recap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

Thanks!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Walking into the Dead & Co show at the Hollywood Bowl was much like that encampment outside Jardin.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Last Chance posted:

Not to get too LOSTy on you guys, but wtf is this nun's necklace from ep 301:

Wu-Tang logo evolved over the years.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

God drat it. This is gonna hurt isn't it.

Oh my yes. And we will all want to continue to be hurt, but soon we won't be able to be hurt anymore and that's going to hurt worst of all :(

drat I'm really going to miss this show. I remember watching the first few episodes thinking huh what a weird show well what the hell I'll give it a shot while I'm waiting for GoT to come on, and by the end of season 1 I was completly hooked. Then came season 2 which was so much more than anything I could've expected, it really was a drat near perfect season of TV. I can't think of a show that got me so emotionally invested in its characters. It's gonna break my heart to not see Kevin and Nora anymore.

Maybe we will get super lucky and they will wrap it up in such a way that we get a leftovers movie or like a little miniseries of a few episodes down the road as an epilogue. Oh well, a man can dream. At least twin peaks is back to ease the pain of no more leftovers

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Having just started watching Twin Peaks there are definitely some parallels to be drawn between the two shows. I love Leftovers, but don't really mind it ending as long as the last episode is good :pray:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

is there a podcast i can listen to while i watch this showing talking to myself? (commentary)

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Will they come back to the super important babies? What happened to that storyline?

Also, will there be an explanation of why Kevin can do what he does? Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for The Explanation of the Departure, but you cant use magical realism willy nilly like that and expect the audience to just accept it. That's LOST level lazy writing.

I like season 1 so much precisely because it doesn't rely on unexplained mystery and science fiction and whoa look what is happening now.

btw my all time favourite narrative is Angels in America, which relies heavily on magical realism, so it's not like I'm averse to the idea of it. But it has to be tightly structured within the framework of the story, which just seems to be missing up till now. It's just seems that everything is possible, which makes it very hard to care about anything.

Also, why do people like the character of Nora? What are her likable traits? Because me and my gf just pretty much roll our eyes at eachother everytime she does or says something. Besides having empathy for her situation, I find her selfish, passive aggressive throughout, and vindictive. There's nothing I actively like about her, nothing to aspire to or learn from.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The first season was exactly as it was billed, people struggling with an unexplainable and enormous supernatural occurrence and how they personally dealt with the aftermath. Everything after is purestrain Lindelof trash. It would be 100 times better if it weren't so tonally jarring minute to minute. American Gods proves you can have Prestige TV(tm) with Mature Themes and still have goofy things like people getting sucked into vaginas, but Leftovers has dream sequence dick scanners interspersed with realistic depictions of suicide with the worst music supervision I've ever seen in a TV show.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
You guys are cool

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The music supervision is really bad though and destroys any narrative flow.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

theflyingexecutive posted:

The first season was exactly as it was billed, people struggling with an unexplainable and enormous supernatural occurrence and how they personally dealt with the aftermath. Everything after is purestrain Lindelof trash. It would be 100 times better if it weren't so tonally jarring minute to minute. American Gods proves you can have Prestige TV(tm) with Mature Themes and still have goofy things like people getting sucked into vaginas, but Leftovers has dream sequence dick scanners interspersed with realistic depictions of suicide with the worst music supervision I've ever seen in a TV show.

finally i dont feel alone no more

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

^^^
:hf:

S1 was all about how people groping for spirituality give in to weakness and the false promises of hucksters.

S2 has the main character literally become Jesus.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

The music supervision is really bad though and destroys any narrative flow.

~~*contrasting tones*~~

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Cool dude tell someone who cares

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The first time they played Where Is My Mind, it went across three different scenes with Kevin and it ended up being played out of his car stereo in the third, which implies that he was listening to it on his headphones all day on loop. It's Diagetic Music 101 and slips like that are just embarrassing.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Cool dude tell someone who cares

Cool, glad to know I'm not allowed to have opinions about TV in the TV forum

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

S2 has the main character literally become Jesus.
Nah, you have people speculating that he's Jesus and they're proven to be as unreliable in their beliefs as everyone else is.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
http://www.avclub.com/video/final-season-leftovers-also-its-best-256103

Despite what I personally think about the show -- Season 1 good, Christopher Eccleston amazing, frustrated by the current season but still basically enjoying the experience -- can we all agree that this video review / discussion is ludicrously bad, given that it's made by people that are apparently doing this for a living?

Choice highlights: "It's like Igmar Bergman but down to earth"; praising "Margo Martindale"'s performance; "If Seasons 2 and 3 were based on books, people would say that they were unfilmable, but then they'd watch the seasons and be, like, wow, they really captured the essence of those books."

I paraphrase, but I'm not kidding. Holy hell.

The first time they played Where Is My Mind, it went across three different scenes with Kevin and it ended up being played out of his car stereo in the third, which implies that he was listening to it on his headphones all day on loop. It's Diagetic Music 101 and slips like that are just embarrassing.

I was going to mention this. V dumb.

Also, I like Max Richter, but does he actually score this anymore? I feel like they only use the one piece of his music and just play it once every episode. It's almost Pavlovian -- PIANO MEANS YOU CRY NOW. CRY! CRY!

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

http://www.avclub.com/video/final-season-leftovers-also-its-best-256103

Despite what I personally think about the show -- Season 1 good, Christopher Eccleston amazing, frustrated by the current season but still basically enjoying the experience -- can we all agree that this video review / discussion is ludicrously bad, given that it's made by people that are apparently doing this for a living?

Choice highlights: "It's like Igmar Bergman but down to earth"; praising "Margo Martindale"'s performance; "If Seasons 2 and 3 were based on books, people would say that they were unfilmable, but then they'd watch the seasons and be, like, wow, they really captured the essence of those books."

I paraphrase, but I'm not kidding. Holy hell.

I was going to mention this. V dumb.

Also, I like Max Richter, but does he actually score this anymore? I feel like they only use the one piece of his music and just play it once every episode. It's almost Pavlovian -- PIANO MEANS YOU CRY NOW. CRY! CRY!

everything in this post is cool + good

but yes, sites like avclub are extremely bad. dont make the mistake of thinking they are serious criticism.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I watched all 10 hours of season 1 and I hated every minute. So I watched 10 more hours of season 2 and I hated it even more. Now I am watching 8 hours of the final season and I hate every episode so far. I will continue watching.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I watched season one and it was really good, then season two bottomed out. I didn't watch three right away, but a bunch of people on the forums said it was much better than two and here we are

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

UmOk posted:

I watched all 10 hours of season 1 and I hated every minute. So I watched 10 more hours of season 2 and I hated it even more. Now I am watching 8 hours of the final season and I hate every episode so far. I will continue watching.
TVIV.txt

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I watched season one and it was really good, then season two bottomed out. I didn't watch three right away, but a bunch of people on the forums said it was much better than two and here we are

I'm in a similar boat -- I really enjoyed a lot of the first season, I was frustrated by the ultimate destination of the second as I felt it undermined a lot of what I thought the show was doing, though I largely made my peace with it.

The third season keeps trying my patience though, but it's a death by thousand cuts situation, rather than some fundamental wonkyness (other than the aforementioned season 2 problems, which I think I share with a few other posters and as such won't bother going in to). It's just a lot of little things that I've been jamming up against -- I think parts of the season have been poorly motivated, both from a characterisation perspective, and in terms of audience positioning -- but, like I said, I've mostly been fine with it.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
*Shrug* the second and third seasons don't solve any of the issues with the writing that all you guys are bringing up

But the performances and the directing are just so stellar that it doesn't matter to me at all. Almost every episode this season has really struck me

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SlipkPIe posted:

*Shrug* the second and third seasons don't solve any of the issues with the writing that all you guys are bringing up

But the performances and the directing are just so stellar that it doesn't matter to me at all. Almost every episode this season has really struck me

Exactly; for a show that shifted focus to a guy who might be Jesus, it's done really loving well. I don't need more and more seasons JUST about how people are dealing with the departure, I like the extra angle.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Does nudity mean Kevin's butt?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

oliwan posted:

Also, will there be an explanation of why Kevin can do what he does? Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for The Explanation of the Departure, but you cant use magical realism willy nilly like that and expect the audience to just accept it. That's LOST level lazy writing.
I hope not and I seriously doubt it. The only two ways they can do it is either through a scientific or supernatural reasoning and the show has deliberately set up ambiguities by not providing any concrete explanations for the weird events that have happened. So any explanation you get is going to be deliberately cloudy.

Which is just how I loving love it. Finale is going to own.

Gorn Myson fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 1, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

I hope not and I seriously doubt it. The only two ways they can do it is either through a scientific or supernatural reasoning and the show has deliberately set up ambiguities by not providing any concrete explanations for the weird events that have happened.

Which is just how I loving love it. Finale is going to own.

I'd say it's more supernatural than not, just by going by who and what Kevin sees during his experiences.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd say it's more supernatural than not, just by going by who and what Kevin sees during his experiences.
Oh yeah, but you can easily spin a scientific explanation as well. My point isn't that I don't want any definitive explanation, I can't see them providing one and even if they did I would still be doubting it because this show is so much about people coming up with these answers through their own perspectives as no one has any concrete answers to these questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Welcome haters. Is this a FYAD invasion or something ?

I was planning on heading out until after the finale anyways so good timing I guess. See you on the flip side everyone.

• Locked thread