Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

I am too excited for this. I even looked up some speedrun notes because well why not.

Not dragondarch's notes thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

gently caress yeah classic ruuuuun

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Not dragondarch's notes thankfully.

H-he... he made notes? I almost want to see these, but not sure how I feel about my stomach leaping into my throat and choking me to preserve what little sanity I have.

I'm stoked for this again, so far away yet so close.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I always thought about doing this. I only played it on the PSX, got to the last part but did not do the final dungeon. So I am by no means an expert.

Will others outside this thread give me guff if I end up emulating the GBA version (I mean, I won't advertise it or anything, but ya know)

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Enjoy your zerks.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Detheros posted:

Enjoy your zerks.

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/870063185897734144

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I like to start out simple but also trying out new things, so my first run this year is Normal with #fifthjob and BERSERKERRISK!

RME
Feb 20, 2012

your cowardice will not be forgotten bufuman

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

So I don't want to outright choose the run this time like I did last year. But I'm going to drop another large donation in the next day or so. Any ideas on how to use it for the run this time around?

Part of me wants to see if I can incite some extra pledges by saying, say, that $5000 goes to the third place choice for each job the day before the run.

InfernoBlade fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 1, 2017

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

InfernoBlade posted:

So I don't want to outright choose the run this time like I did last year. But I'm going to drop another large donation in the next day or so. Any ideas on how to use it for the run this time around?

Part of me wants to see if I can incite some extra pledges by saying, say, that $5000 goes to the third place choice for each job the day before the run.

Honestly the best bet might be to just do random chance. Roll a die or something for each crystal to pick what class. And unless the dice are super friendly (they never are), they shouldn't get Blue/Mystic/Bard/Chemist or something scary strong.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:getin:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Classtoise posted:

Honestly the best bet might be to just do random chance. Roll a die or something for each crystal to pick what class. And unless the dice are super friendly (they never are), they shouldn't get Blue/Mystic/Bard/Chemist or something scary strong.

Pretty good odds they roll one or two of those classes, though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I just want a Beastmaster Redemption Tour. :shobon:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I kinda want to see jobs where strategies might actually diverge (and not in the Dragondarch way). Probably going to be hard to find a party where you might have several viable strategies for several bosses though.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

Mega64 posted:

I kinda want to see jobs where strategies might actually diverge (and not in the Dragondarch way). Probably going to be hard to find a party where you might have several viable strategies for several bosses though.

Making them deal with a berserker might make the strategies diverge a bit. Probably not though, I'd imagine they'd just kill the berserker at bosses that have counter scripts.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Thief/Berserker/Ranger/Dancer. Team 12 hours in world 1. Feel free to replace dancer with dragoon.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 1, 2017

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Registered chaos with risk. Maximize my zerk potential.

Also voted Monk/Red/Geo/Dragoon because I am nourished by tears.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Gonna go in soft with purechaos for my first run, then probably a popular and then BERSERKERRRRRS

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Leraika posted:

Gonna go in soft with purechaos for my first run, then probably a popular and then BERSERKERRRRRS

BERSERKER RISK can only be done for the first run.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

dis astranagant posted:

BERSERKER RISK can only be done for the first run.

gently caress

e: guess that means no berserkers for me this year. Next year :smith:

edit: okay maybe berserkers, hoorah

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Leraika posted:

gently caress

You can change your registration as you please up til the start of the fiesta.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I want to make sure I understand this before I register: #chaos can give duplicates but not freelancer or mime, while #purechaos is the opposite?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Noper Q posted:

I want to make sure I understand this before I register: #chaos can give duplicates but not freelancer or mime, while #purechaos is the opposite?

That is correct.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Thanks! Purechaos it is.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Last year's Natural run was enough for a lifetime but I'm still down with Berserker Risk.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
I regd pure chaos no750 risk because last year 750 was too easy. I got chemist and summoner.

Does the secret command still work? I'm tempted to do it again simply because I didn't take down shinryuu last year and a simple clear just isn't enough punishment.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

And I just kicked some money in the can. All I know is I want berserkers. And I want #BERSERKERRISK to be #GUARANTEEDBERSERKER

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

InfernoBlade posted:

And I just kicked some money in the can. All I know is I want berserkers. And I want #BERSERKERRISK to be #GUARANTEEDBERSERKER

Bless you. Both for a big donation, and for granting people the joy of Berserkers. :unsmigghh:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
gently caress it. Went ahead and registered a normal run.

What are the chances the copies of FFVA on Amazon are legit? I mean, I don't have anything to play it on, but I can probably find a game boy micro fairly easily.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

What are the chances the copies of FFVA on Amazon are legit?

About the same as any other cheap electronics, nil.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Unlucky7 posted:

gently caress it. Went ahead and registered a normal run.

What are the chances the copies of FFVA on Amazon are legit? I mean, I don't have anything to play it on, but I can probably find a game boy micro fairly easily.
On the one hand, basically zero. On the other, the counterfeits are so good you can't tell except that they can't Quicksave.

(If you're actually going to buy a GBA for it, PM me your address, I was going to replace this cart anyway so I'm looking to give it away to a fiesta goon. If not, offer stands to the first other person to PM me asking for it.)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
PureChaos Risk run, after my failure to complete due to work related issues 5 years ago

the shame has finally worn off

RME
Feb 20, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

On the one hand, basically zero. On the other, the counterfeits are so good you can't tell except that they can't Quicksave.

(If you're actually going to buy a GBA for it, PM me your address, I was going to replace this cart anyway so I'm looking to give it away to a fiesta goon. If not, offer stands to the first other person to PM me asking for it.)

no quicksave abuse tho

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Curiosity question: Why can't they quicksave?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Well, I already donated the cost of the hypothetical game to the charity so I probably will just emulate.

...When I next come back to the site, I am probably going to see spidercock, aren't I? :v:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Supremezero posted:

i dont know enough about the GBA but i would speculate it has to do with the batter and flash chip maybe not being 100% correct/what the game expects

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Can someone without PMs take you up on that offer?

And I decided to actually berserker risk this year, but I took the easy way out and just do a 750 risk. Still got some time to change my mind though.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Oh hey I have actual money to donate to charity this year!

So with #FifthJob and #BERSERKERRISK, could someone surpass the Quadzerker run and get the only rumored PENTAZERKER?

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

Supremezero posted:

I took a photo of my FF5a cart's circuit board for reference. This is a US-version that I bought at retail when it was new, so that's what most of them should look like.

The chip on the left is somewhat exotic hardware. It's something called FRAM, ferromagnetic nonvolatile RAM that sort of behaves like a battery-backed SRAM but without a battery. Here's the datasheet on this particular chip. Since it's closest to SRAM, most of the clones will just use battery-backed SRAM for it.

I just used mGBA to take a look at where things are stored in the SRAM. The permanent save data appears to live between 0x0E000000 all the way through to 0x0E002AF0. And it looks like the quicksave data is stored after that, from 0x0E002B10 through about 0x0E005C90. The 32 KiB FRAM chip used in my cart is mapped in from 0x0E000000 through 0x0E007FFF, and it can hold the entire thing as such. But if you were to say, replace that FRAM chip with a 16 KiB battery-backed SRAM, you'd have a chip that is mapped from 0x0E000000 through 0x0E003FFF. With that smaller chip, you can see the 4 permanent saves would fit: they only take up a hair over 8 KiB of storage in the SRAM. But the smaller chip would cut off about 7 KiB from the ~12 KiB of space used for the quicksave data, as it can't hold the quicksave data from 0x0E003FFF through 0x0E005C90.

So I'd wager that the el cheapo chinese knockoff carts use a 16 KiB battery-backed SRAM and just let the quicksave function fail, instead of using a bigger 32 KiB chip that would hold it. That's just a guess though TBH, I don't have a fake in my possession to take apart and look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I haven't played FFV since I was a kid, so I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of the mechanics, but I also don't want to shame the spirits of my ancestors by being a baby and taking the easiest route - what kind of run should I do?

• Locked thread