Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Applied coilovers to escape 4x4 stance

Might need to drop the front a wee bit more, handles lovely though and doesn't attempt to tip over on corners like it used to.

nice fart cannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sagebrush posted:

nice fart cannon

Thank you. try finding an OEM exhaust for one of these that isn't secondhand and rotted or new and over a grand and I'll buy it

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Who the gently caress buys an OEM exhaust for a Japanese sports car?

God what a boring rear end in a top hat they must be.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Well, I filled my truck with moving poo poo to take back to my new place and while driving down the highway it ate its serpentine belt. poo poo was all wrapped up around the radiator fan shaft. Took it to the shop and they said the tensioner was cracked which is why the belt kept walking off a rib and eventually flew off. I just ate the $400 to replace the parts and install them because I was pretty bummed about my inability to diagnose that despite constantly being in the engine bay.

Then on the weekend I replaced the alternator in a friend's $500 beater and showed him how to drive manual. So I guess that's a plus.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tomarse posted:

Buy yourself a gun and give it a try!

I wasn't aware that any PPE short of a full face air fed mask was enough to prevent 2k paint getting you? (Though If it is pre activated from a rattle can is it really 2k?)

I'm not sure how the P95 mask rating compares to the ones I can get here? Does it have a gas rating too?
I'm using a filter mask with A2P3 filters in. I need to get some properly sealed goggles though.

I'm not sure about P95 and 2k, but I thought P95 was basically for painting in general.

Re: the 2k spray cans - if he used the same ones I did, it's a chambered spray can that keeps the activator separate until time of use. There a cap and fitting on the bottom that you sue to puncture the divider, and allow the components to mix.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
That's what I used, very cool. I did a p.bad job blending and piled the paint up on the tape in some spots, going to try and wetsand the line down tomorrow then wash cut and buff the whole truck.

Pulled the dashboard today and replaced the blend door actuator, finally will be able to drive without hot air coming thru the vents. I picked up a charcoal colored dash in decent shape for $40, so I threw that in. Really lucked out since 1994 S10 pickup has a lot of one year only parts.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Think I figured out why one of my headlights didn't always work.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It got an oil change and new headlight assemblies. :toot:

Old, yellowed and ugly despite multiple attempts to fix on the left, new hotness on the right.

I can finally use high beams and not have the fuze for my tail lights blow out constantly due to wires shorting inside the housing!

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The only thing I really don't like on my Scion xB was the steering wheel, made of a rough textured plastic that felt horrible. Looking around scion has new ones for $$$ but then I found out the Rav4 wheels are a bolt in and found one in excellent condition on ebay for $90.

Original wheel, you can see the rough texture in the pic.

Side by side with the leather Rav4 wheel on the left.

Buttons swapped over as the Rav4 buttons don't work with the Scion airbag. Gonna snag a Rav4 airbag down the road so I can use the phone control buttons as well. They are expensive tho, maybe I can find one cheap eventually.

New leather hotness.

Not a bad upgrade for $90 huh?

No that's a great upgrade. I had a company car that was a 09 scion xD and my personal car was a 08 Civic Si with a wonderful small diameter leather wrapped wheel. The Scions was just unpleasant.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mr-Spain posted:

No that's a great upgrade. I had a company car that was a 09 scion xD and my personal car was a 08 Civic Si with a wonderful small diameter leather wrapped wheel. The Scions was just unpleasant.

Yeah I don't get it, never really had a problem with a steering wheel before this car. But once you're used to a leather wheel everything else feels crappy. Feels so much nicer, I lucked out finding this one, most of the ones I saw were pretty scuffed up and lovely.

Next on the list is TRD lowering springs to get rid of the lovely wheel gap :)

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I wrote a payoff check for it and my S1000XR. I also put a couple coats of cleaner wax on it to pretend I'm not bored of it.

Didn't even have a chance to photograph it before a bird poo poo on the windshield.

So I cleaned it off again. Better.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Took it on vacation with me:

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Changed the rear brake lines. Going to get the car re-tested on tuesday, and then it'll be good for another two years!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I love the copper-nickel stuff. So easy to work with.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Painted some calipers for install on the 245 tomorrow

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 4, 2017

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Does that first yellow picture look so off because its the first coat of yellow on the primer? It looks so dull compared to the finished product.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cage posted:

Does that first yellow picture look so off because its the first coat of yellow on the primer? It looks so dull compared to the finished product.

Nah, the white balance is jacked up in that pic for some reason. It went on about as bright as it looks in the final picture after curing in the oven.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Yellow calipers are the poo poo. What paint did you use?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

PaintVagrant posted:

Yellow calipers are the poo poo. What paint did you use?

Thanks, I thought it would be a nice change from the usual red. I used VHT primer and paint, it's not cheap but it's worth it imo. I've used it before on the 244s calipers (red) and they held up really well, although I only did one coat on those which I think is why they faded a little eventually. They never chipped or got flaky. I did 2 coats of primer and color on these so they should last a long time.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 4, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Replaced lift supports on back glass on the Expy.

The top is held in with a pin and a circlip the size of a pea. Pried on circlip being careful to catch it only to watch it fly in a brief flash like Ralphie and the lug nuts. Caught the other side though, and given the tension they are always under, shouldn't walk out anytime soon.

Next up, replacing the back ones on the WJ. Leave it to a chrysler where they fail to the point I can hardly open the gate enough.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
My "rear end in a top hat hit my Maverick" repair turned into "welp, why don't we install all of the poo poo we've been collecting?" Which turned into "well, as long as it's getting body work done we might as well do the whole thing."

By the time it's done it'll look like a completely different beast. Small bumper conversion, Grabber spoiler install, dent/rust repair, new paint from metal on up. We're not doing a full out sperg restoration, but we're matching the original tone so the engine bay/door jambs/etc don't look weird. It'll just be 2 stage with some light metal flake thrown in to make it look sweet as hell.

Damage + old parts:

Early test fit of new parts:

After a bit of prep it already looks amazing. The lower holes in the rear are covered up since they're not used with small bumpers and the valences are spot on. Everything's OEM parts that I've been collecting over the years, no repro stuff. I thought about a Grabber hood and to be honest I think I like the regular hood better with the Grabber spoiler, gives it a kind of sleeper feel.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Today I painted more parts, this time a new, uncracked intake manifold for the C70 T5M that will be installed with the new engine (yet to be purchased). I've always loved the wrinkled black paint look, and decided to try my hand at it with this.

Prep work is the most important step in paint if you want your poo poo to look good.

The wrinkle paint doesn't call for any primer but I figured it couldn't hurt, and it didn't.

Final coat of color on. You do 3 semi-heavy coats, one vertical, one horizontal, and one diagonally across the piece.

The wrinkles started forming almost immediately after the third coat went down.

This is after only about 10-15 minutes of drying time.

I can't wait to see how it looks once it's been baked in the oven to cure, but this paint takes a lot longer to dry out enough to handle so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Question for paint and panel goons.

I've just got my car back from a nightmare of a bumper replacement and I;m not overly happy with how the colour matches the car.

Full sized here http://imgur.com/a/bJ57d (not sure you'll even be able to tell a difference, it's hard to photograph and doesn't show very well on all screens)

What can be done in the situation? Should it be blended somehow, or should I demand they try and paint the whole thing again? It is an insurance job, but insurance companies here are notoriously stingy so it'll only be fixed if I do a lot of complaining.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
If what you say is true they prob wouldn't pay to put the whole truck in the booth, prep, mask, shoot, buff. It'll probably take an act of God to get it back in.

Any way to find out how many hours the insurance company paid for?

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Yeah, you're probably gonna have a hard time trying to get it back in since you signed off on the work and picked up the car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Actually I haven't signed off on anything and have flagged it to both the insurance company and the repairer so the claim is still open. That said I do have possession of the car at the moment and have paid the excess/deductible.

It's actually not the only problem, one of the BSM modules and the bracket it sits on needs to be replaced which the repairer initially missed (had to go to the dealer for diagnosis which was an utter pain in the arse).

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

dissss posted:

Actually I haven't signed off on anything and have flagged it to both the insurance company and the repairer so the claim is still open. That said I do have possession of the car at the moment and have paid the excess/deductible.

It's actually not the only problem, one of the BSM modules and the bracket it sits on needs to be replaced which the repairer initially missed (had to go to the dealer for diagnosis which was an utter pain in the arse).

Who is your insurance company?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Who is your insurance company?

State which is the biggest one in the country (New Zealand). I don't think the insurance industry works quite the same way here as it does in the US

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Washed and waxed the mustang today, showed my uncle how awesome a foam cannon is and turned him loose on his wife's car,

fps_bill fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 5, 2017

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

fps_bill posted:

Washed and waxed the mustang today, showed my uncle how awesome a foam cannon is and turned him loose on his wife's car,

Great color combo. Where in PA are you that it wasn't raining all day?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

dissss posted:

I've just got my car back from a nightmare of a bumper replacement and I;m not overly happy with how the colour matches the car.

Full sized here http://imgur.com/a/bJ57d (not sure you'll even be able to tell a difference, it's hard to photograph and doesn't show very well on all screens)

What can be done in the situation? Should it be blended somehow, or should I demand they try and paint the whole thing again? It is an insurance job, but insurance companies here are notoriously stingy so it'll only be fixed if I do a lot of complaining.

Yeahhhh, you're never going to get it to match right and you REALLY don't want them doing a blend onto the quarters.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Great color combo. Where in PA are you that it wasn't raining all day?

Bedford county. There were a few drops a little after I got done, of course it rained lastnight though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

dissss posted:

Has the original panels been polished? It usually helps if the old panels are polished.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MrOnBicycle posted:

Has the original panels been polished? It usually helps if the old panels are polished.

Flex additive

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

afen posted:

Changed the rear brake lines. Going to get the car re-tested on tuesday, and then it'll be good for another two years!

Nice routing with that, I've seen those repaired in a lot of really horrible ways. Obviously following the stock lines isn't possible without complete vehicle disassembly (thanks subaru), you did a good job.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Baked that intake

click to embiggen

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

chrisgt posted:

Nice routing with that, I've seen those repaired in a lot of really horrible ways. Obviously following the stock lines isn't possible without complete vehicle disassembly (thanks subaru), you did a good job.

Or hell for any vehicle unless you can get pre-bent ones for a '57 chevy.

Ever own a house and need to do some simple plumbing stuff? The old joke is it will take 3 trips to the hardware store to get it fixed and that really is the truth. Brakes are about twice as bad. Who would of thought to combine ISO flares with bubble flares on the same vehicle? Cough...Ford.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Colostomy Bag posted:

Or hell for any vehicle unless you can get pre-bent ones for a '57 chevy.

Ever own a house and need to do some simple plumbing stuff? The old joke is it will take 3 trips to the hardware store to get it fixed and that really is the truth. Brakes are about twice as bad. Who would of thought to combine ISO flares with bubble flares on the same vehicle? Cough...Ford.

There's no such thing as a simple plumbing repair on a house.... The second you touch the broken part, you break the next part upstream, and when you go to fix that..... Yea, I hate working on houses.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

This is why you always leave at least one thing broken in your house. Nothing else will break, as long as you don't attempt to fix that broken item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Terrible Robot posted:

Baked that intake

click to embiggen

That poo poo looks rad. Nice job.