Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The Texas sniper referenced in Full Metal Jacket and the Black Lagoon anime was Charles Whitman, not Walt Whitman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mister Facetious posted:

The Texas sniper referenced in Full Metal Jacket and the Black Lagoon anime was Charles Whitman, not Walt Whitman.

Lmao

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I celebrate myself, I reload myself.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I. HATE. YOU. WALT. FREAKIN. WHITMAN!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I didn't realize until today just how quickly strawberries can get moldy. Jesus Christ, I've only had these for a few days, and I didn't even leave them out; I put them in the fridge because that keeps poo poo from turning vile! :wtc:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

I didn't realize until today just how quickly strawberries can get moldy. Jesus Christ, I've only had these for a few days, and I didn't even leave them out; I put them in the fridge because that keeps poo poo from turning vile! :wtc:

Yeah this Spring was the first time I didn't eat the whole box* of strawberries I bought and two days later they were very pretty and fluffy but inedible.

*) Like ½l or something.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shanghai Noon like the Iron Maiden jokes :doh:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Shanghai Noon like the Iron Maiden jokes :doh:

I don't think so Tim actually is a reference to the death of St. Timothy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

syscall girl posted:

I don't think so Tim actually is a reference to the death of St. Timothy

:catstare:

e: I wasn't implying Shanghai Noon is a shark joke, just that I never got the "high noon" allusion before, hence the :doh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzHLxtNKUBw

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

:catstare:

e: I wasn't implying Shanghai Noon is a shark joke, just that I never got the "high noon" allusion before, hence the :doh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzHLxtNKUBw

Oooooh

Yeah, I'm uh

Carry on

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've seen this picture before, and I notice it popped up on REDDIT FRONT PAGE again.

Every time I've seen it I thought the guy in it looks just like my best friend, but i'm really bad with faces so who knows. Finally I decided to send him the picture and I asked him if I was crazy for thinking the guy looked like him.
Turns out it was him, it's him, he made that years ago as a joke.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard
I just learned this weekend that Andy Gibb, Besides being the youngest Brothers Gibb, was not actually ever in the Bee Gees his career was separate from that of his brothers. I just figured he was the only Bee Gee to have a solo career.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lap-Lem posted:

I just learned this weekend that Andy Gibb, Besides being the youngest Brothers Gibb, was not actually ever in the Bee Gees his career was separate from that of his brothers. I just figured he was the only Bee Gee to have a solo career.

This isn't that weird. Although nowadays you don't have to leave the Bee Gees to be a solo artist.

:smith:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Baronjutter posted:

I've seen this picture before, and I notice it popped up on REDDIT FRONT PAGE again.

Every time I've seen it I thought the guy in it looks just like my best friend, but i'm really bad with faces so who knows. Finally I decided to send him the picture and I asked him if I was crazy for thinking the guy looked like him.
Turns out it was him, it's him, he made that years ago as a joke.

Isn't that Alex Steacy, off internet sketch comedy troupe LoadingReadyRun?

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

There's more than one way to interpret 'Hell of The Horny Dragon'.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I just recently learned that the Maxence Cyrin piano cover of "Where Is My Mind?" is a cover of "Where Is My Mind?"

I've been thinking it was a cover of Coldplay's "Fix You" for years and never realized.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I just learned that all uses of the word "check" (including "cheque") in the English language are derived from the chess term of checking your opponent's king, and the word "check" itself is simply derived from the word "chess." Mind blown.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

dirksteadfast posted:

I just recently learned that the Maxence Cyrin piano cover of "Where Is My Mind?" is a cover of "Where Is My Mind?"

I've been thinking it was a cover of Coldplay's "Fix You" for years and never realized.

Weak, but ok if you're younger than 15 I guess :smug:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2zIyov_ijA

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Saw a commercial for the upcoming movie "My Cousin Rachel," starring Rachel Weisz. Who I remembered from playing Helen Hirsch, Amon Goeth's housekeeper in "Schindler's List."

Except it was Embeth Davidtz in that role.

(In my defense, I really like Rachel Weisz.)

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Isn't that Alex Steacy, off internet sketch comedy troupe LoadingReadyRun?

That absolutely is Alex Steacy. Here's the skit the pic is from. https://youtu.be/3WZnkyiBG_U

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I have been following a person who does video essays in the style of HBomberGuy and Jim Sterling on YouTube, and she does a lot of film teardowns, the one getting me hooked being an examination of Rent and how it's movie (and stage show) marginalized the actual poverty, aids pandemic, and drug abuse of the time.

Her name is Lindsay Ellis, better known to me by her former gig a decade ago, the Nostalgia Chick from That Guy With The Glasses. :psyduck:

What the gently caress how did I randomly stumble upon the same person twice via YouTube, ten years apart

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

probably youre attracted to him?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I just found out that not only is Popcorn not by Röyksopp, they've never covered it, and it was actually from 1969. I thought it was way more recent than that!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hyperlynx posted:

I just found out that not only is Popcorn not by Röyksopp, they've never covered it, and it was actually from 1969. I thought it was way more recent than that!

But did you also realize that Gershon Kingsley (who wrote Popcorn) also wrote Swan's Splashdown (with Jacques Perrey) from which Smashmouth took the riff for their breakthrough hit Walkin' on the Sun?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Hyperlynx posted:

GAH, it's not a Kraftwerk song or cover either. My world is a lie.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The rhythm was later employed to create the song "Let The Bodies Hit The Floor".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

The rhythm was later employed to create the song "Let The Bodies Hit The Floor".

holy gently caress :aaaaa:

e: waaait a minute

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Powaqoatse posted:

But did you also realize that Gershon Kingsley (who wrote Popcorn) also wrote Swan's Splashdown (with Jacques Perrey) from which Smashmouth took the riff for their breakthrough hit Walkin' on the Sun?

Listening to Swan's Splashdown now...

No, I've never heard this bef.... oh holy gently caress, yes I have. In Lemmings, which pinched most of its melodies from elsewhere. I always assumed it was some classical piece or something!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF3vMAmEnsY&t=1927s

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hyperlynx posted:

No, I've never heard this bef.... oh holy gently caress, yes I have. In Lemmings, which pinched most of its melodies from elsewhere. I always assumed it was some classical piece or something!

lmao good lord our lives are a neverending series of plagiary

i preferred song 4 in lemmings tho tbh. no idea who wrote it originally

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It is a classical piece, by Tshaikovski.

e: Maybe it wasn't Tshaikovski but one of those dead people anyway :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 13:51 on Jun 11, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I guess it's romantic music not classical. That one always got me in music quizzes in school.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yea i tried to look it up but then i kept forgetting it

here's one then, Rob Hubbard's theme from Thing on a Spring was reused in a little known game called Punk Killer where you're basically a punk with a purple mohawk and you kill old ladies and dogs and coppers

I guess someone hacked in the music cause the only version on youtube is without it. Too bad.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...y+childhood+irl

I loved that game when i was 12

Killing cops and listning to a synth violin, good times. also the animations are surprisingly good when I look at it again

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

I guess it's romantic music not classical. That one always got me in music quizzes in school.

I have played classical music most of my life (as a hobby anyway) and I have never heard even the most nitpickiest of nitpickers complain that you can't call it classical music if it's not from the classical period. I'm pretty sure everyone recognises it's an umbrella term as well as a term referring to a particular period.

Unless I just learned that in the US they make that distinction?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Organza Quiz posted:

I have played classical music most of my life (as a hobby anyway) and I have never heard even the most nitpickiest of nitpickers complain that you can't call it classical music if it's not from the classical period. I'm pretty sure everyone recognises it's an umbrella term as well as a term referring to a particular period.

Nah, most people in the US call anything that falls between the Baroque and Neo-Romantic periods "Classical".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm not from the US nor did I go to school there but I remember our music teacher sure made that distinction.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Organza Quiz posted:

When you're talking as a musician or about music theory, ie. not as a laymen, then there is definitely a distinction and classical music is specifically music from the classical period. In everyday usage amongst laypeople, any kind of music that's instrumental and uses symphony instruments is regularly called "classical music." I've heard this regularly from music majors all my life

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

Hyperlynx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF3vMAmEnsY&t=1927s

It's based on Dance of the Cygnets from Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIC0nm4nrI8

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

All music written before 1920 is classical music. Except if it was for or by poor people then it's folk music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

SirSlarty posted:

It's based on Dance of the Cygnets from Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIC0nm4nrI8

Ah. Well, I guess I was right the first time, then. And I guess that's why it's called "Swan's Splashdown", too.